Drawing the mallards..

For information on local hunting and meet other hunters here in the Virginia duck hunting forum.

Moderators: swampbilly 1980, fowl mouth, callncut, Ichabod97

Drawing the mallards..

Postby cut_un » Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:17 am

With the lease of the swamp/standing timber spot. Someone had mentioned that where they hunted was a good woodie spot but never killed any/many mallards.... Just thinking here... As I'd said, never hit the swamps when things were freezing up or when the regular season has been in.... Any of you shoot big ducks in your swamp...here in VA.????? If so, were they there naturally or did you do something to pull em in? Planting for or somthing such as that...other than CORN,of coarce :huh:
Big Al's" Take 'Em" Silhouettes Pro Staff

Team Chasin' Feathers
Eastern Shore Rod & Gun Club
Share your passion, take a kid hunting!
cut_un
hunter

Re: Drawing the mallards..

Postby The Confederate » Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:22 am

One of the swamp I hunt gets loaded with mallards and blacks every year. They just naturally want to be there and I think it's a vein of the flyway. Haven't done a single thing to the swamp, except hunt it.
Mickey Mouse Club Prostaff
The Confederate
hunter

Postby mayhem96 » Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:27 am

There's no question it should hold some Wood Ducks and maybe Teal early in the season. If that cold weather hits, that may push them summer ducks out, it should hold some Mallards, Gadwalls, and Black Ducks. I know my little beaver pond close to where you're at holds all these ducks along with Ringnecks and Mallards.
mayhem96
hunter

Postby cut_un » Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:48 am

That's want I'm hoping for...I know the wood ducks will be thre,just hoping when/if the woodies do be pushed out because of freezing weather, will still have a reason to keep showing up! :grooving:
Big Al's" Take 'Em" Silhouettes Pro Staff

Team Chasin' Feathers
Eastern Shore Rod & Gun Club
Share your passion, take a kid hunting!
cut_un
hunter

Postby skydog » Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:55 am

Cut, swamp I hunted last year was in Eastern Northampton County NC (just across state line). Nice, big swamp with good hardwoords, didn't do any planting. Hunted it probably 15-20 times last season. Through the entire season I think we had 3-4 flocks of mallards come in, no blacks or any other big ducks.But we did have our fill of woodies throughout the entire season and decent numbers of teal through mid-December or so. All in all, it was a fun season as we could at least always count on seeing/shooting plenty of woodies, but I do wish there had been some more diversity in the birds we saw. Obviously each swamp and location are different though so you could have much better big duck luck in your neck of the woods.
skydog
hunter

Postby KAhunter » Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:11 am

It all depends on the area. Is it near a big body of water or a good protected area they can roost?? Thats what I have found is the big difference. Usually a decent sized lake or river. Usually no good sized roost area and you wont see many big ducks. Woodies will be there either way and should stay there most of the winter unless you get a hard freeze. I have seen some great timber that just has woodies because all that is around is timber and not much open water. Food quality and type can affect the types of ducks. Once you have that figured out you can try different stuff and get some more big ducks vs wioodies. Good luck.
"If you have to be crazy to be a duck hunter, i dont wish to be sane" Robert Ruark

Its always duck season, there is just a long break from february to september.
KAhunter
hunter

Postby imaduckin up north » Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:24 am

theres a beaver swamp on public land that i use to hunt that drew in woodies mallards and other puddlers, and was easy to limit on, unfortunatly age, my bad leg and the distance to the spot make it impossible for me to hunt it anymore, but it did draw in a large variety once the river got hunted hard. ive tried to help a few to this swamp but they cant find it, its a long hike and no atvs on public land. ill even give gps coordinates 37deg 20' 34 . 15" n 76 deg 54' 23 .16" w
also 37 deg 20' 27 . 63" n 76 deg 54' 23 . 16" w if the beavers are still active i guarentee youll see ducks from dec on, they will be shooting cormorants by then on the river, oh by the way this is the chick wma, happy hunting
,IS IT DUCK SEASON YET
THERE AINT NO DUCKS IN VA, dicks sporting goods told me so
you can educate ignorance
you can medicate crazy
but you cant fix stupid
imaduckin up north
hunter

Postby KAhunter » Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:58 pm

haha imaduckin never gonna hunt up there but found the spots just for fun. Looks promising...
I couldnt remember what plant it was earlier but it just came to me. Burreed is a type that mallards LOVE and if it is present they should be hitting it hard. Good luck Cut-un!!!
"If you have to be crazy to be a duck hunter, i dont wish to be sane" Robert Ruark

Its always duck season, there is just a long break from february to september.
KAhunter
hunter

Postby imaduckin up north » Wed Jul 17, 2013 1:04 pm

im serious on those spots, if the beavers are still damming it then its a hot spot. theres a private duck club behind it on parsons island and when pressure gets high the ducks come to the ponds. its to far from me now and im to crippled to walk that far toting dekes, waders and all the gear.
,IS IT DUCK SEASON YET
you can medicate crazy
but you cant fix stupid
imaduckin up north
hunter

Postby Undrcoverrednek » Wed Jul 17, 2013 4:44 pm

imaduckin up north wrote:im serious on those spots, if the beavers are still damming it then its a hot spot. theres a private duck club behind it on parsons island and when pressure gets high the ducks come to the ponds. its to far from me now and im to crippled to walk that far toting dekes, waders and all the gear.

How long till dem deer dawgs and the dawg drivers come rolling through that spot?
swampbilly 1980 wrote:I'm a poor man, but I'd pay good money to taste some of that juicy white meat...
Undrcoverrednek
hunter

Postby imaduckin up north » Wed Jul 17, 2013 5:54 pm

thats how i found it lol, driving the dogs i use to have. ducks exploded out of there
,IS IT DUCK SEASON YET
you can medicate crazy
but you cant fix stupid
imaduckin up north
hunter

Postby TaylorMann1 » Thu Jul 18, 2013 8:10 am

The last few years for me have been one or the other last year we killed mostly all wood ducks the year before we killed almost all mallards. Late in the year we normally see some ringnecks or gadwalls.
TaylorMann1
hunter

Return to Virginia Duck Hunting