Va Teal?

For information on local hunting and meet other hunters here in the Virginia duck hunting forum.

Moderators: swampbilly 1980, fowl mouth, callncut, Ichabod97

Va Teal?

Postby Percidae_Papermouth » Sun Jul 21, 2013 10:34 am

This will be my second season duck hunting, I hunt alone in a private series of beaver ponds, four dams... Mostly 3-5 ft with a few 8' holes. I had so much fun watching the woodies and ring necks dive bombing my decoys last year... Can't wait for next season however I have some questions, I've got a half dozen blue wing teal decoys but don't know what to do with them... Set em tight or lose how far apart? Should I worry about buying a teal call or whistle? Or just leave everything behind and sit and wait? Any input would be greatly appreciated as I am trying to learn as I go and don't have anyone to teach me.
Percidae_Papermouth
hunter

Re: Va Teal?

Postby cut_un » Sun Jul 21, 2013 11:00 am

I'd simply put a few of your teal decoys in one of your openings,which hopefully is in your swamps flyway.... Simply something for them to focus on.I'd recommend using a call...why... Because you are duck hunting! It's all about the experience. Don't really think the call is needed in your tight quarters. More times that not, they will/should spot the decoys and circle in for a closer look...at mock 4 Not really a swamp teal hunter so others may have a different opinion..... Good Luck!
Big Al's" Take 'Em" Silhouettes Pro Staff

Team Chasin' Feathers
Eastern Shore Rod & Gun Club
Share your passion, take a kid hunting!
cut_un
hunter

Postby Cajun1085 » Sun Jul 21, 2013 12:13 pm

I would pick your biggest hole and put your 1/2 out and A MOJO (teal or mallard). Teal dive bomb mojos.
GATORTAIL 1646 25GTR

SouthEast Gator-tail
Cajun1085
hunter

Postby cut_un » Sun Jul 21, 2013 12:52 pm

Yea.... the mojo would be a good idea.....I'm hunting a small swamp this year and I am going to try the mojo too....I hope it will pull a few big ducks in during regular duck season!!!

Team Chasin' Feathers
cut_un
hunter

Postby Percidae_Papermouth » Sun Jul 21, 2013 1:51 pm

Thanks any recommendations on mojos? I have a two year old and can't splurge too much, just got my new MPW catalog should I go with a teal mojo or will a hen mallard work for early as well as late season? I've got a dozen of woodie decoys, only used 6 last season the others and brand new in plastic in the box if anyone wants to make a trade for mallard decoys or a mojo... I've been using some old carry lites mallards that were my fathers, ( haven't been used in 30 years) I used em last dec-jan and swear those ol chipped paint decoys flaired more ducks than anything. Twice this happened, ended up jumping 25-30 mallards creeping through the swamp with my canoe.

Also have a few Canada floaters, can I bury the keel to field hunt? Just wondering if anyone does this.. I can call em from the field to the swamp while duckin but would like to do the field geese experience...
Percidae_Papermouth
hunter

Postby Percidae_Papermouth » Sun Jul 21, 2013 1:54 pm

Btw they are redhead BPS brand, paid $69 for the dozen
Percidae_Papermouth
hunter

Postby cut_un » Sun Jul 21, 2013 1:59 pm

You can use the goose decoys.... BETTER than nothing at all! I'd go with the hen mallard if I were planning on teal and big ducks both.... For my money thou...I'd make sure what ever you get has a remote control. Some times when you get their attention, it's better to flip it off to finish the birds. Go get em!

Team Chasin' Feathers
cut_un
hunter

Postby Cajun1085 » Sun Jul 21, 2013 5:55 pm

Any mojo will work. I've killed teal on a dove mojo, but if I would buy one and you don't want to splurge, baby hen mojo will work just fine.
GATORTAIL 1646 25GTR

SouthEast Gator-tail
Cajun1085
hunter

Postby goosesmacker » Sun Jul 21, 2013 10:15 pm

Percidae_Papermouth wrote:Btw they are redhead BPS brand, paid $69 for the dozen

If you need more decoys, Ashland's BassPro has them and Rogers Sporting Goods has a couple brands listed in their Truck Load Sale flyer. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Virginia Waterfowling Workshop, Sept. 26-28, an event worth attending.
goosesmacker
hunter

Return to Virginia Duck Hunting