Flying questions for duck hunting trip

For information on local hunting and meet other hunters here in the Virginia duck hunting forum.

Moderators: swampbilly 1980, callncut, Ichabod97, fowl mouth

Flying questions for duck hunting trip

Postby huntnfirefighter » Tue Jul 23, 2013 4:13 pm

Hey all,

Was wondering if anyone here has done any flying for a duck hunting trip. I got a few questions about packing and what not.

Thanks
Whack em and Stack em
huntnfirefighter
hunter

Re: Flying questions for duck hunting trip

Postby cut_un » Tue Jul 23, 2013 5:41 pm

The last time I flew with a gun. Had the gun declared and it had to be hard cased. The shells had to the stowed in the plane not carry-on,the gun was checked at the check-in, taped shut and I was good to go,picked it up along with the luggage when I go there!.... Been a while thou ,call your airline, they will tell ya exactly what you need to have & do! Good Luck!
Big Al's" Take 'Em" Silhouettes Pro Staff

Team Chasin' Feathers
Eastern Shore Rod & Gun Club
Share your passion, take a kid hunting!
cut_un
hunter

Postby swampbilly 1980 » Tue Jul 23, 2013 7:59 pm

What Cut said :thumbsup:
The hard case HAS to have a LOCK on it, and if there is 2 latches, buy two locks.

Can't comment of gunshells though because I didn't want the hassel of bringing them aboard and checking them in.
Swampbilly1980- I got a feeva',..and the only cure is more Mergansers and face paint.
swampbilly 1980
Forum & State Moderator

Postby lbhansford » Wed Jul 24, 2013 7:35 am

If you are going to stay at a family lodge or smaller guide service, UPS them your gun the week before and avoid all the BS. same ammount as checking an extra bag probably. Just my opinion.I do the same thing with my fishing rods when i visit my buddy in florida.
Last edited by lbhansford on Wed Jul 24, 2013 7:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
lbhansford
hunter

Postby chow hound » Wed Jul 24, 2013 7:56 am

I would do some research before you count on shipping it. I believe federal law allows it if it is addressed to you, but I am not sure the shippers will accept it unless it is going to an FFL dealer.
chow hound
hunter

Postby lbhansford » Wed Jul 24, 2013 10:06 am

i shipped my gun back to mossberg from a UPS store no paperwork or questions asked. Let me know if you find out differently.
lbhansford
hunter

Postby cut_un » Wed Jul 24, 2013 10:26 am

Buddy of mine ships his guns thru a local gun dealer into the area he's hunting in,he simply picks it up when he gets there ...he does alot of elk hunting out west. Maybe another option.
Big Al's" Take 'Em" Silhouettes Pro Staff

Team Chasin' Feathers
Eastern Shore Rod & Gun Club
Share your passion, take a kid hunting!
cut_un
hunter

Postby wvlippo » Wed Jul 24, 2013 2:12 pm

If you can break your gun down do it. Alos write "firearm parts" or just "parts" not gun on the fed ex slip :thumbsup:

I ship it to myself care of (friend, hotel, etc..) when I can.
The right to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

The amendment that guarantees all the rest.
wvlippo
hunter

Postby Montauker » Wed Jul 24, 2013 3:51 pm

I had to ship a gun through UPS this Spring.

You can only go through certain UPS Shipping Centers, not just any UPS Store. And it was a hassle because they only ship overnight, which meant you have to ship early to mid-week (no Saturday or Sunday delivery). To top it off, when the gun came back, they lost it in the store.

Call the airline or check their website. Personally I would take it with me.
Montauker
hunter

Postby dukcommander » Wed Jul 24, 2013 4:28 pm

yea i dunno if i could handle travelng somewhere and wondering if my gun was gonna be shipped on time.
"Believe half of what you see , and none of what you hear"
dukcommander
hunter

Postby skydog » Wed Jul 24, 2013 4:43 pm

Firefighter, mind if I ask where you're headed? I'm biased because I hate flying, but if it were me and I were headed to Arkansas or Louisiana, I would just make the 14+ hour drive to avoid the flight hassle....although I guess the 24+ hour drive to the Dakotas might be a different story though.
skydog
hunter

Postby Bullfrog26692 » Wed Jul 24, 2013 5:05 pm

I shipped a hand gun for repairs one time. I had it in the box taped up. I asked my wife to ship it for me in the morning because I had to work. She asked what was in it and I said car parts to be sand blasted. I wasn't going to land my butt in jail, ain't nobody got time for that! The funny thing is they shipped it right back to my door with no problems. It was sitting on my porch one afternoon.
gooosehunter wrote:I dont always shoot ducks, but when I do, it's dos duckies.
Bullfrog26692
hunter

Postby lbhansford » Thu Jul 25, 2013 6:40 am

skydog wrote:Firefighter, mind if I ask where you're headed? I'm biased because I hate flying, but if it were me and I were headed to Arkansas or Louisiana, I would just make the 14+ hour drive to avoid the flight hassle....although I guess the 24+ hour drive to the Dakotas might be a different story though.

Im with ya. Me and my buddy are making that 24 hour drive to the dakotas for the first time this year. Will let ya know if i am flying next year AFTER the drive.
lbhansford
hunter

Postby high flyer » Sat Jul 27, 2013 5:38 pm

Find all your answers? If not just ask. I fly to Canada every year. It's not that hard at all. Like everyone said declare your gun at the airport, and make sure your shells are in the original package. I think TSA only allows 11lbs of shells to be packed which is about 3 boxes depending on the load. However I have taken as much as a case but was never really comfortable until they finished x-raying my bags and sent them to the back.
high flyer
hunter

Postby rlh01 » Mon Jul 29, 2013 6:53 am

Moving guns around the states and into Canada is not a problem. I would suspect NRA could give you sound advice and also go on Google and do a search there. I have travelled with hunting rifles and shotguns on numerous occasions since 9/11 as I have hunted ducks and geese in Wisconsin, South Dakota, Nebraska; big game in Canada, Alaska and Wyoming, and doves ducks, pigeons and perdiz in Argentina. You need an airline approved lockable case, I use combination locks and then I use small zip ties to reconfirm the locks were not tampered with. Someone earlier mentioned 11 lbs is the limit on ammunition and must travel separately. That is the limit you can declare. I have seen higher weights transported but 11 lbs is a legal limit. Interestingly since ammo is an explosive that is the one item the airline Captain, since he is responsible for the safety of the plane can actually refuse to haul ammo. If concerned just plan on buying new ammo on arrival as ammo is heavy and really counts against your weight limits. I buy fresh ammo at my destination. Remember to research ahead on where you can get ammo especially if you use special tungsten loads etc. Airlines will haul ammo but the airline captain actually has the right to refuse to haul ammunition. Remember guns and ammo must travel separately. Get to the airport an hour earlier than normal and just expect a hard time as not all clerks are used to handling weapons. They are all taught how to handle the guns but they forget the procedures and have to ask supervisors etc. al

I have been stopped twice for not having cleared my carryon bags of shells. On one occasion I had a 30-06 round lodge against a plastic seam and I took that bag through about 4 X-ray exams on several various trips before an alert TSA agent spotted the round logged in the small hunting backpack parallel to the seam. On another time I had several shotgun shells in the end pocket of a blind bag that I never sufficiently cleared of shells. In both cases I was allowed to continue on after I forfeited the ammunition as they were honest mistakes. Now if my name were Mohammed I am sure the story would have been different.
rlh01
hunter

Return to Virginia Duck Hunting