Atlantic Flyway Virginia January Duck/Goose

For information on local hunting and meet other hunters here in the Virginia duck hunting forum.

Moderators: swampbilly 1980, Ichabod97, fowl mouth, callncut

Atlantic Flyway Virginia January Duck/Goose

Postby woodsnow » Tue Oct 17, 2006 9:44 am

What are the bird prospects for the Chiconteague Virginia area around Mid Jan 07
woodsnow
hunter

Postby cut_un » Tue Oct 17, 2006 2:31 pm

:welcome: to the site, glad you climbed in the blind with us :thumbsup:

Have not seem any official reports but if we have the weather , should be a prime time there. We are seeing more ducks now than in past years, what that will mean at seasons end, only time will tell. But if you have a trip planned there in Jan. Take plenty of shells :toofunny:
Big Al's" Take 'Em" Silhouettes Pro Staff

Team Chasin' Feathers
Eastern Shore Rod & Gun Club
Share your passion, take a kid hunting!
cut_un
hunter

Postby woodsnow » Wed Oct 18, 2006 6:54 am

yes I do around 20 jan 2007, will let the forum know how it turns out.
woodsnow
hunter

Postby cut_un » Wed Oct 18, 2006 2:50 pm

Wood, are you going on a guided hunt or are you freelancing? And you have picked a great time to get after them... Good Luck :hammering: :hammering:

Team Chasin' Feathers
cut_un
hunter

Postby woodsnow » Wed Oct 18, 2006 3:25 pm

New to the area, so I went guided until I can figure out who is who.
Went with somebody named chincoteague hunt-fish.
woodsnow
hunter

Postby cut_un » Wed Oct 18, 2006 5:59 pm

I too have used them and I'll not bore you with details. as I said before, they all will provide the same basic service. Tender you to and from, set your deks and help you watch out for the fowl. Most will move you around trying to give the the best opportinity for some shooting. Don't know about you and your style of hunting but what I have found out over time is lots of guys will want to be picked up around mid-day for a hot lunch. I have found that between all the guys and guys moving around and some of my bst shooting has been mid-day. When I go, I go all day,(pack a lunch) :thumbsup: dawn til dusk, or til I have a limit. :salude:

Team Chasin' Feathers
cut_un
hunter

Postby woodsnow » Thu Oct 19, 2006 4:53 am

Were you happy with their service, anything to look out for, would you use them again?
woodsnow
hunter

Postby LEWDOG » Thu Oct 19, 2006 9:27 am

There has been a lot of talk about this group , here is the link : http://www.duckhuntingchat.com/search.php?mode=results
But I think Cut_un is on the mark here by saying how a hunt will go for the most part . Now they may just take you out and drop you off to fin for yourself , but look what you are getting . A local hunter is putting you out into a heck of a great place to hunt using his decoys and the knowledge that someone that know the area is a 2-way away with help should you need it . Anything else that comes with your money for the hunt is a plus and I would think that a Jan. hunt at Chiconteague can't be in anyway a bad thing , good luck .
You said that you are new to the area , what area would that be ?

:welcome: LD :welcome:
A Market Hunter born 100 years to late
:)/\__________<*)((((>{
The hardest thing a duck hunter in Va. has to do is to Not read more into the blind laws then what is in black and white . Lewdog 1999
http://www.vawfa.org
LEWDOG
hunter

Postby cut_un » Thu Oct 19, 2006 3:04 pm

As I said Woodsnow, it's as much location and weather as anything. I did have one of my best hunts with them, but everything was freezing up so I guess just about everyone that was hunting limited out that day. as you know, it's not all about killing ducks. I would suggest you try several, you run into different personalities, some you will like better than others. I myself will only go with Andy Linton. He's been guiding there for 35 years and he has some of the best blind locations on the island. He will work as hard ,or harder than any two guides to try to get you in the ducks, geese, whatever you are hunting. BUT, you will have a great time, see alot of birds and you should have a good hunt!. I do again, encourage you to stay throught midday as it's been some of my best hunting. Good Luck, it's some of the best Va. has to offer :thumbsup:

Team Chasin' Feathers
cut_un
hunter

Postby goosesmacker » Thu Oct 19, 2006 6:54 pm

Welcome Aboard! :thumbsup:

I would recommend Grayson Chesser or Andy Linton. In the past, I have not been happy the service I receive from the Chincoteague Hunt & Fish Ctr.
goosesmacker
hunter

Postby woodsnow » Fri Oct 20, 2006 12:58 pm

The "new to the Area" would be spotyslvania...I would think Lake Anna had some good spots but guides are hard to find for that area.

As for the Linton and somebody else recomendations does anywaone have a contact web site or address or Number, Having not been born in this state I dont know all of my relatives as easily as you folks.............:)
woodsnow
hunter

Postby LEWDOG » Fri Oct 20, 2006 3:27 pm

Grayson Chesser http://www.chesserdecoys.com/ and Andy Linton http://www.chincoteague.com/alinton/

I was thinking that Grayson hunted around Saxis and the bay side but .

:smile: LD :smile:
A Market Hunter born 100 years to late
:)/\__________<*)((((>{
The hardest thing a duck hunter in Va. has to do is to Not read more into the blind laws then what is in black and white . Lewdog 1999
http://www.vawfa.org
LEWDOG
hunter

Return to Virginia Duck Hunting