Question on Blind Laws

For information on local hunting and meet other hunters here in the Virginia duck hunting forum.

Moderators: swampbilly 1980, fowl mouth, Ichabod97, callncut

Question on Blind Laws

Postby NealLauderman » Fri Aug 02, 2013 8:02 am

Having never been through the process of requesting a blind tag I have a few questions I am hoping someone can answer.

A little background, I am a non-riparian and have previously never personally licensed a blind. I have done quite a bit of scouting between last season and up till now and have marked a few spots on public water ways where there aren't any blinds within 500 yards... I am going to keep checking the areas but I have some questions concerning September 1 when we can apply.

1- When I provide the GPS coordinates on the application, do they run those against a database to make sure there are no other hidden blinds nearby? (I have found quite a few blinds that are on the shore and brushed in VERY good to the point you can't barely see the plate)

2- How do they prevent two (2) people from accidentally applying for a blind within 500 yards of each other? Will one persons application get rejected and the others go through or will they both go through and the owners will have to work something out?

3- How long does it typically take to find out if you are approved?

Sorry for the fairly dumb questions but I have read the laws/rules multiple times and want to make sure I am 100% clear on things. Thanks in advance to anyone who can assist.

:beer:
NealLauderman
hunter

Re: Question on Blind Laws

Postby swampbilly 1980 » Fri Aug 02, 2013 8:19 am

Neal-
The only "dumb" questions are the ones' that are never asked :yes:

1- So far the system hasn't arrived to that point, (unless that changed a week ago). And if it ever does get to that point, there'll be a big cluster you know what afterwards.

2-There's no way prevent that (unless you have the same coordinates). What happens is,.. the owner of the blind/stake that's not legally licensed will more than likely get a call from the Game Warden.

3-You'll find out the same day at the licensing agent whether or not everything is good.

In the event 2 people bought a license for the same location, the determining factor that governs who gets to "stay" is whomever staked their license first.

Swampbilly1980- I got a feeva',..and the only cure is more Mergansers and face paint.
swampbilly 1980
Forum & State Moderator

Postby gooosehunter » Fri Aug 02, 2013 11:40 am

What area are you looking to license the blinds? Not looking for your spots as I already have plenty, but if it is on Back Bay, you are not allowed. If it is in northern Virginia, there are a whole different set of rules. And...if on the eastern shore of VA, there are no blind license issued. It is private property on not.

1- When I provide the GPS coordinates on the application, do they run those against a database to make sure there are no other hidden blinds nearby? (I have found quite a few blinds that are on the shore and brushed in VERY good to the point you can't barely see the plate)
The VDGIF is working on a data base for back bay from what I hear. Nothing concrete yet, but its is coming due to the nature of the blinds on the bay.

2- How do they prevent two (2) people from accidentally applying for a blind within 500 yards of each other? Will one persons application get rejected and the others go through or will they both go through and the owners will have to work something out?
This is the problem I discussed with the DGIF when they decided to change the way blind license were issued on Back Bay.

As soon as you fill out the information on their website, it is approved. Get your stake out there as soon as you receive the yellow plate and sticker.

Good Luck!!!
Cheers
Dave
gooosehunter
hunter

Postby swampbilly 1980 » Fri Aug 02, 2013 6:29 pm

gooosehunter wrote:What area are you looking to license the blinds? Not looking for your spots as I already have plenty, but if it is on Back Bay, you are not allowed. If it is in northern Virginia, there are a whole different set of rules. And...if on the eastern shore of VA, there are no blind license issued. It is private property on not.

The VDGIF is working on a data base for back bay from what I hear. Nothing concrete yet, but its is coming due to the nature of the blinds on the bay.

This is the problem I discussed with the DGIF when they decided to change the way blind license were issued on Back Bay.

As soon as you fill out the information on their website, it is approved. Get your stake out there as soon as you receive the yellow plate and sticker.

Good Luck!!!

Hey 'Goose what's different w/Back Bay that would require a provision?
Swampbilly1980- I got a feeva',..and the only cure is more Mergansers and face paint.
swampbilly 1980
Forum & State Moderator

Postby LEWDOG » Fri Aug 02, 2013 8:10 pm

Back Bay is own by a dang City instead of a county .

:sad: LD :bow:
A Market Hunter born 100 years to late
:)/\__________<*)((((>{
The hardest thing a duck hunter in Va. has to do is to Not read more into the blind laws then what is in black and white . Lewdog 1999
http://www.vawfa.org
LEWDOG
hunter

Postby NealLauderman » Sat Aug 03, 2013 1:29 pm

Thank you all for the answers! I think I am squared away now. Bring on September 1st...
NealLauderman
hunter

Postby crumbe » Mon Aug 05, 2013 7:17 am

Neal...have not been on allot of the forums in a while...

are you back in VA or still up in PA??
crumbe
hunter

Postby gooosehunter » Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:29 am

back bay is closed to any new blinds. The only ones allowed are existing locations. I think there are 311 total blinds allowed on the bay. In other words, on back bay if you see an open area, you cannot just put a blind there. It is not longer controled by the city either. It now runs through the DGIF for everything and has caused many many problems.
Cheers
Dave
gooosehunter
hunter

Postby swampbilly 1980 » Mon Aug 05, 2013 11:08 am

gooosehunter wrote:It now runs through the DGIF for everything and has caused many many problems.

Imagine that! :lol3:
swampbilly 1980
Forum & State Moderator

Postby LEWDOG » Mon Aug 05, 2013 11:47 am

back bay is closed to any new blinds. The only ones allowed are existing locations.

That's why I refer to the place as the "lost world" , heck I bet it's why blind laws will never leave this part of the state .
Out of that 311 blind sites how many are private ?

:smile: LD :wink:
The hardest thing a duck hunter in Va. has to do is to Not read more into the blind laws then what is in black and white . Lewdog 1999
LEWDOG
hunter

Postby gooosehunter » Mon Aug 05, 2013 2:32 pm

All 311
Cheers
Dave
gooosehunter
hunter

Postby LEWDOG » Mon Aug 05, 2013 2:45 pm

So the total number of blinds sites in back bay is higher once the public sites are added , man a duck doesn't have a chance as it is , best to keep it lost .

:eek: LD :smile:
LEWDOG
hunter

Postby NealLauderman » Mon Aug 05, 2013 6:16 pm

crumbe wrote:Neal...have not been on allot of the forums in a while...

are you back in VA or still up in PA??

Moved back to VA about a year ago bud.
NealLauderman
hunter

Return to Virginia Duck Hunting