2013-2014 public comment meeting .

For information on local hunting and meet other hunters here in the Virginia duck hunting forum.

Moderators: swampbilly 1980, Ichabod97, callncut, fowl mouth

2013-2014 public comment meeting .

Postby LEWDOG » Sun Aug 04, 2013 7:13 pm

Just so no one can say it wasn't told about the meeting tomorrow evening Aug 5TH at 7PM I'll make this thread .

:smile: LD :wink:
A Market Hunter born 100 years to late
:)/\__________<*)((((>{
The hardest thing a duck hunter in Va. has to do is to Not read more into the blind laws then what is in black and white . Lewdog 1999
http://www.vawfa.org
LEWDOG
hunter

Re: 2013-2014 public comment meeting .

Postby NOVAggie » Sun Aug 04, 2013 7:21 pm

Hmm, maybe ill head down there
I SUPPORT SUNDAY HUNTING IN VIRGINIA!!

imaduckin up north wrote:Lew starts twitchin when aggie walks in the room
NOVAggie
hunter

Postby va marsh rat » Sun Aug 04, 2013 9:06 pm

Theres a nice wahoo bite in Hatteras right now and there's a good chance I won't make it to the meeting tomorrow evening. Can I ask a favor and see if anyone is willing to bring up the subject of landowner baiting and what is going to be done about it? The situation I encountered last winter was as follows: I was hunting a completely legal spot. I was greater than 500 yards away from any stationary blind, and there are no minimum distances to houses in the county I was hunting in. I was approx 300 yards away from a house, shooting away from the house. A game warden showed up and told me I couldn't hunt there because the landowner had baited his shoreline, and sure enough, he had signs on his beach that said "Baited shoreline, no hunting." To me, he is in violation of state law because he is actively trying to interfere with a lawful hunt. I understand his private property rights as a landowner to feed the birds, but he also lives adjacent to a public waterway, and I believe his supposed right to bait should not supersede a legal activity in public waters. The game warden was very understanding about the whole situation, and ensured me that change was on the way. Perhaps someone can bring this up at the meeting tomorrow in case I don't make it? I specifically want to know who will be prosecuted if the same situation arises again. Will the hunter be ticketed for hunting a baited site, or can he call the game warden and file a complaint of a landowner interfering with a hunt?
va marsh rat
hunter

Postby adustydawg2 » Sun Aug 04, 2013 11:05 pm

Have your warden read up on a law called " baiting to impede lawful hunting". Law is several years old and pertains to just this type situation. Landowner should be getting a ticket for baiting. If your warden refuses to follow the law as written the contact Col. Dabney Watts at the Richmond Headquarters. He will get it handled.
adustydawg2
hunter

Postby ncbufflehead » Sun Aug 04, 2013 11:06 pm

NOVAggie wrote:Hmm, maybe ill head down there

Be sure to tell them we want to shoot "shufflers" and a lot of them.
ncbufflehead
hunter

Postby LEWDOG » Mon Aug 05, 2013 12:04 pm

I'll bring it up tonight and see what is said , had already plan to address the subject b/c I have license my goose blind after two years of not hunting it due to corn across the creek . In my case the bait was taking my birds away from my hunting spot and there was no sign . IMO in your case the sign itself is proof that the bait is there to impede the hunt and you should take a picture of it and write the GPS numbers on the picture and staple it to a posted sign and take it to the CPO / Game Warden and tell him the differences between the two .

:hammer: LD :smile:
The hardest thing a duck hunter in Va. has to do is to Not read more into the blind laws then what is in black and white . Lewdog 1999
LEWDOG
hunter

Postby adustydawg2 » Mon Aug 05, 2013 12:14 pm

Lew, no sign needed. If the landowner is baiting, for whatever reason, he is breaking the law. As it is written there is no reason to justify the baiting. Check it out yourself, no ifs, ands, buts or maybes about it. Have the CPO enforce the law as written or contact his supervisor and demand to know why. :eek: Maybe your CPO needs a nice 2 week vacation without pay! :bow:
adustydawg2
hunter

Postby LEWDOG » Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:05 pm

Like I was saying at the meeting there is a difference between feeding birds , baiting birds, and using bait as a way to stop waterfowl hunting . Look at it as a public float hunter on a river that they had never hunted before , they get a few shots but when they go around a bend in the river they see a pile of geese in a far corner of the yard away from the house and dock with something yellow on the ground . They float on by without shooting anymore birds till they are well out of the area . A hour later they shoot at more birds and go around the bean in the river and see a woman throwing out something yellow around a sign that reads this is a baited area no hunting and a man is on a phone and yelling get the hell away from here and don't come back .
proving intent is real easy when a sign is provided and they are not going to throw the book at a landowner using corn to keep wild birds away from the home and people .

The meeting went well and if I had to guess things will be a lot like last year .

:smile: LD :wink:
LEWDOG
hunter

Postby kahunna » Tue Aug 06, 2013 7:33 am

LD - Did anyone bring up the issue of possible different zones with different hunting dates in the future? Did anyone bring up the idea of different dates for this season? k
kahunna
hunter

Postby LEWDOG » Tue Aug 06, 2013 11:17 am

Yes but the week change wouldn't work for the diver hunter and IMO Va. has way more of them then puddle duck hunters . As it is now the few has to look at empty skies in Dec. , where if the week was moved to the start of the Nov. season the many would only see skeeters on the wing .

:smile: LD :smile:
LEWDOG
hunter

Postby cut_un » Tue Aug 06, 2013 12:47 pm

As a waterfowler with a few years knocking around waters here in central Va. would say,some years it would be a benifit, but...other years not so much! Was stated that the birds move by daylite,not so much weather patterns, first time I've hear of that.... maybe,maybe not! I always heard/thought that it's all about the weather & how early it cooling down up north.... Do admit, we do have some early migrators and some.most are gone by killing time!!
Big Al's" Take 'Em" Silhouettes Pro Staff

Team Chasin' Feathers
Eastern Shore Rod & Gun Club
Share your passion, take a kid hunting!
cut_un
hunter

Postby Islander Gunner » Tue Aug 06, 2013 1:47 pm

I think its a great idea! I support a change in the season...move it up a week in November thru the end of the month,then have a 2 week closure until the middle of December. Then run it thru the last Saturday in January. October 10-14, Nov. 9-Nov.30, Dec.14-Jan.25 Why? several reasons, First; Marland & North Carolina have seasons similiar to this and when their seasons close, alot of hunters hunt the Va. season (more pressure on the birds, cause there's more hunters), Second; the earlier season in November would give hunters that target earlier species like wood ducks, teal, pintails etc. a better chance to harvest those birds before cooler weather fronts move them out of their areas, third; it would give migratory waterfowl (general duck season species) a 2 week closure in the Maryland-Virginia-North Carolina area and I believe that would be more beneficial than a 5 day break currently held in Va. I think it needs to be addressed by the board and I have contacted several board members with the proposed change in the season. Its working in our neighboring states. The first of December is a dead month for alot of waterfowlers; the migrants have allready moved thru and its going to take cold weather to get the hardy ones that are just North of us down in our area (this usually occurs in the latter part of December).
Hunting waterfowl is all about "timing" and now is the time for the Board of Game and Inland Fisheries to support a slight change in the upcoming season, to give Va. sportsman the best chance at migratory waterfowl that pass thru the Commonwealth. I urge waterfowlers across the state to contact their representatives about this "adaptation" for the upcoming waterfowl season! Its worth a try! :thumbsup:
We're not down here in the blind playing baby house!
Islander Gunner
hunter

Postby cut_un » Tue Aug 06, 2013 2:00 pm

Not saying that I oppose the idea, do like the two weeks split. Also, would be great to bring it in line with Maryland & NC. Just saying, would like to see some data to support such a change and overall, would it benefit the waterfowlers"across the state". I'm all for having the opportinity to hunt when we have birds :yes:

Team Chasin' Feathers
cut_un
hunter

Postby Tangier Island Slacker » Tue Aug 06, 2013 2:34 pm

Islander Gunner wrote:move it up a week in November thru the end of the month,then have a 2 week closure until the middle of December. Then run it thru the last Saturday in January. October 10-14, Nov. 9-Nov.30, Dec.14-Jan.25

Moving a week's worth of valuble of duck days into the heart of the deer rut is a bad idea for a myriad of reasons.

Islander Gunner wrote:Why? several reasons, First; Marland & North Carolina have seasons similiar to this and when their seasons close, alot of hunters hunt the Va. season (more pressure on the birds, cause there's more hunters)

And we do the same to them in October, though I think the overall effect and frequency of this is overblown.

Islander Gunner wrote:Second; the earlier season in November would give hunters that target earlier species like wood ducks, teal, pintails etc. a better chance to harvest those birds before cooler weather fronts move them out of their areas

That only goes for those of you in the far SE corner of the state. For the vast majority of the rest of us, The five weeks starting in mid-October and running 'til around Thanksgiving is absolutely dead for puddlers.

Islander Gunner wrote:The first of December is a dead month for alot of waterfowlers; the migrants have allready moved thru and its going to take cold weather to get the hardy ones that are just North of us down in our area (this usually occurs in the latter part of December).

The first half of December is awesome for those of us in the hills, it's when those last holdovers from the Great Lakes make their push.

Islander Gunner wrote:Hunting waterfowl is all about "timing" and now is the time for the Board of Game and Inland Fisheries to support a slight change in the upcoming season, to give Va. sportsman the best chance at migratory waterfowl that pass thru the Commonwealth. I urge waterfowlers across the state to contact their representatives about this "adaptation" for the upcoming waterfowl season! Its worth a try! :thumbsup:

Zones are called for, not a blanket move statewide. I would support taking the ES and everything east of 95 and south of 64/33 (an area that would include Mobjack, the Piankatank, the York, the James, the lower end of the Chesapeake, and Back Bay) and doing what you've outlined with the seasons (heck, take more time at the end of October for all I care), but moving the rest of us into November hurts our opportunities.
Tangier Island Slacker
hunter

Postby Islander Gunner » Tue Aug 06, 2013 2:56 pm

Oh boy,TIS, I agree, the earlier the better for puddlers. If we could hunt from the middle of October thru November, it would be alot better on the coast. I remember when they started the early October season, A lot of hunters who didn't have a wood duck hole complained...until they started hunting the marsh and seeing whats migrating in October. If you set up zones(like goose season) alot of hunters will move over to a different zone and that puts added pressure on hunters and birds alike. Theres no perfect solution, however, with the current season in place I feel we all loose in the end. Theres nothing wrong with trying a new adjusted season for a couple of years, then if its not working for the hunters(and thats the main reason), it can be adjusted. Just my opinion.
We're not down here in the blind playing baby house!
Islander Gunner
hunter

Postby Tangier Island Slacker » Tue Aug 06, 2013 3:40 pm

Islander Gunner wrote:Oh boy,TIS, I agree, the earlier the better for puddlers.

Where I'm at, it's the later, the better. December and January are it for us. Ask guys who kill birds and don't live in the SE corner of the state, and 90% of them will say that November is the worst month, especially early. And for divers, it's obvious. Moving days from Decmber into November would only benefit those of you in the far SE, the rest of us would be hurt by such a move.

Islander Gunner wrote:If we could hunt from the middle of October thru November, it would be alot better on the coast.

No debate there, most guys who kill birds in the SE corner say the same thing.

Islander Gunner wrote:Theres no perfect solution, however, with the current season in place I feel we all loose in the end.

Nah, I really like the current season. If I were to change it at all, I'd do just the opposite of what y'all are proposing and start a week later in November and have no December gap at all.

Islander Gunner wrote:Theres nothing wrong with trying a new adjusted season for a couple of years, then if its not working for the hunters(and thats the main reason), it can be adjusted. Just my opinion.

I think that they're so hesitant to adjust anything that once they do it, that will be it for a while.
Tangier Island Slacker
hunter

Postby bowhunter1212 » Wed Aug 07, 2013 6:46 pm

I dont hunt in the se corner of the state and I think this is a great idea. If you don't think ducks migrate early then why do we get teal .Why is it illegal to shoot black ducks in October. A lot lo ducks pass thru Va that never get hunted. As uncle Si would say "THATS A FACT JACK"
bowhunter1212
hunter

Postby DUKSLAYA92 » Wed Aug 07, 2013 8:02 pm

Tangier Island Slacker wrote:
Islander Gunner wrote:move it up a week in November thru the end of the month,then have a 2 week closure until the middle of December. Then run it thru the last Saturday in January. October 10-14, Nov. 9-Nov.30, Dec.14-Jan.25

Moving a week's worth of valuble of duck days into the heart of the deer rut is a bad idea for a myriad of reasons.

So...you're opposed to moving the duck season because you want to deer hunt that week? Why not just say that? Most of the other reasons you listed directly support that notion.

Islander Gunner wrote:Why? several reasons, First; Marland & North Carolina have seasons similiar to this and when their seasons close, alot of hunters hunt the Va. season (more pressure on the birds, cause there's more hunters)

And we do the same to them in October, though I think the overall effect and frequency of this is overblown.

Islander Gunner wrote:Second; the earlier season in November would give hunters that target earlier species like wood ducks, teal, pintails etc. a better chance to harvest those birds before cooler weather fronts move them out of their areas

That only goes for those of you in the far SE corner of the state. For the vast majority of the rest of us, The five weeks starting in mid-October and running 'til around Thanksgiving is absolutely dead for puddlers.

And good for deer hunting?

Islander Gunner wrote:The first of December is a dead month for alot of waterfowlers; the migrants have allready moved thru and its going to take cold weather to get the hardy ones that are just North of us down in our area (this usually occurs in the latter part of December).

The first half of December is awesome for those of us in the hills, it's when those last holdovers from the Great Lakes make their push.

And the rut is over?

Islander Gunner wrote:Hunting waterfowl is all about "timing" and now is the time for the Board of Game and Inland Fisheries to support a slight change in the upcoming season, to give Va. sportsman the best chance at migratory waterfowl that pass thru the Commonwealth. I urge waterfowlers across the state to contact their representatives about this "adaptation" for the upcoming waterfowl season! Its worth a try! :thumbsup:

Zones are called for, not a blanket move statewide. I would support taking the ES and everything east of 95 and south of 64/33 (an area that would include Mobjack, the Piankatank, the York, the James, the lower end of the Chesapeake, and Back Bay) and doing what you've outlined with the seasons (heck, take more time at the end of October for all I care), but moving the rest of us into November hurts our opportunities.

Negative on the zones. I don't want zones....it will unnecessarily pressure the little bit of waterfowl resource that our state DOES have.

I'll leave with this thought.....if the all the above info on duck migration is true, why does NC (a state that is further south than VA) open a week earlier than VA? And not in zones, statewide.
DUKSLAYA92
hunter

Postby Tangier Island Slacker » Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:32 am

DUKSLAYA92 wrote:So...you're opposed to moving the duck season because you want to deer hunt that week? Why not just say that? Most of the other reasons you listed directly support that notion.

Not entirely, and it's not the biggest reason. The main reason is because November is a bad month for puddler hunters not in the SE corner of the state, especially the first half. Having to choose between ducks and the rut just complicates things even more, but it's not the #1 reason. Maybe I should've been more clear and just said that. Oh, wait... I did-

Tangier Island Slacker wrote:Ask guys who kill birds and don't live in the SE corner of the state, and 90% of them will say that November is the worst month, especially early. And for divers, it's obvious. Moving days from Decmber into November would only benefit those of you in the far SE, the rest of us would be hurt by such a move.

DUKSLAYA92 wrote:I'll leave with this thought.....if the all the above info on duck migration is true, why does NC (a state that is further south than VA) open a week earlier than VA? And not in zones, statewide.

Don't know, don't care. Could be bad management.
Tangier Island Slacker
hunter

Postby bowhunter1212 » Thu Aug 08, 2013 10:26 am

TIS is a guy that goes duck hunting not a duck hunter if he thinks that there are no puddle ducks in va in november.BIg difference
bowhunter1212
hunter

Postby cut_un » Thu Aug 08, 2013 10:38 am

Generally speaking here... much like our Mig. goose zones here in the Commonwealth.... I really don't think their is a Blanket that we can throw over our duck hunting (statewide) and will please/satisfy everyone.When ,talking , the (DUCK) season openings & closings!

Team Chasin' Feathers
cut_un
hunter

Postby LEWDOG » Thu Aug 08, 2013 10:57 am

Good answer TIS , guys DGIF has big history with not fixing something that isn't broken (just look at our great blind laws) and what I was hearing at the meeting I wouldn't loose any sleep over the idea for this has to be studied and researched .
Something that was said in hopes of getting the change was as the seasons dates are now hunters from NC were hopping over the line and getting twice the hunting days. At the time I was thinking if we have missed the birds going down why would the NC hunters waste their time coming up here . Bottom line 60 days is 60 days and anything more then a week long split is a bad idea IMO.

:smile: LD :yes:
LEWDOG
hunter

Postby bowhunter1212 » Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:18 am

LEWDOG are you the guy that asked DGIF if they could make land owners say yes when you asked if you could hunt there property. lol what was that cat smoking.A 2 week split make great sense .Shoot em for couple weeks then let them rest and rebuild 2 weeks.
bowhunter1212
hunter

Postby recoil slinger » Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:27 am

bowhunter1212 wrote:I dont hunt in the se corner of the state and I think this is a great idea. If you don't think ducks migrate early then why do we get teal .Why is it illegal to shoot black ducks in October. A lot lo ducks pass thru Va that never get hunted. As uncle Si would say "THATS A FACT JACK"

That last comment is y I am bringing explosive decoys with my spead :thumbsup:
Boy, duck hunting is for fags and pirates. And I know your no pirate
vice president of back bay blind retrieval association.
IM YOUR HUCKLEBERRY
recoil slinger
hunter

Postby bowhunter1212 » Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:33 am

do exploding decoys tear the meat up bad or just tenderize em ?May save picking time good idea !
bowhunter1212
hunter

Next

Return to Virginia Duck Hunting