bamboo blind

For information on local hunting and meet other hunters here in the Virginia duck hunting forum.

Moderators: swampbilly 1980, fowl mouth, callncut, Ichabod97

bamboo blind

Postby lbhansford » Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:48 am

Decided to try out an idea i have been kicking around for a boat blind. Had one get wiped out a week after building last year due to superstorm sandy so decided instead of a house blind that i would build a boat blind. Made the whole thing out of 550 cordage and bamboo and i have to say this thing feels like it could take on a hurricane. With round crossmembers i think waves will not slap so hard as with lumber and bamboo has some flex so it can absorb energy from impacts. We sank each pole about 4 to 6 ft so i am fairly certain she will stay on a flood tide as well. Just needs a ring of chicken wire and some bushing attached and she will be good to go. gonna try and finish today after work.
Attachments
blindbuild2.jpg
blindbuild1.jpg
lbhansford
hunter

Re: bamboo blind

Postby Weather or Knot » Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:48 am

Bamboo is a great camo. We use in a lot. But you will be better off to use concrete reinforcement wire rather than hex wire. Even the larger 2 inch stuff is impossible to thread a stock of bamboo through.
Weather or Knot
hunter

Postby swampbilly 1980 » Mon Aug 12, 2013 10:08 am

Ducks flare from bamboo :wink:
Swampbilly1980- I got a feeva',..and the only cure is more Mergansers and face paint.
swampbilly 1980
Forum & State Moderator

Postby lbhansford » Mon Aug 12, 2013 10:08 am

nah not gonna use bamboo for concealment, just the frame. rest is all reeds and cedar to match the local foliage. bamboo leaves fall off way too quick on big water and as you can see i hunt with a ginger so gotta have that concealment.
lbhansford
hunter

Postby swampbilly 1980 » Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:08 am

lbhansford wrote:nah not gonna use bamboo for concealment, just the frame.

Oh.
Okay, well in that case-

They flare from Bamboo frames :lol3:
:beer:
Swampbilly1980- I got a feeva',..and the only cure is more Mergansers and face paint.
swampbilly 1980
Forum & State Moderator

Postby lbhansford » Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:55 am

lucky my Watkins duck call will spin'em on a dime and bring just a little closer for the volley :thumbsup:

lbhansford
hunter

Postby Islander Gunner » Mon Aug 12, 2013 12:01 pm

I'd use Pines as brushing, brush it a couple days before the November season comes in. Cedars is way to heavy for that frame. Waves will wash thru the pines and she just might last a season. Hint: I'd sink a 2x4 or 4x4 just to put the license on, that way if a storm rips thru it, you'll probably still have your license.
We're not down here in the blind playing baby house!
Islander Gunner
hunter

Postby lbhansford » Mon Aug 12, 2013 1:19 pm

Good input IG. I think pines will be easier to come by as well. ill give it a shot. I dont have any doubt that it could weather a season, hurricanes, anybody's guess. You'd be surprised how solid it is. You cant tell from the pic but most of the bamboo is 3inch or larger in diameter. this is more of a prototype just to see. that is why i put it in the roughest of the spots i frequent. You know stress test it haha. and if i lose it i have spare plates and it only cost 35 dollars in paracord.
lbhansford
hunter

Postby lbhansford » Mon Aug 12, 2013 1:24 pm

best part of all its native....... hope someone got that :hammer:
lbhansford
hunter

Postby gooosehunter » Mon Aug 12, 2013 1:56 pm

You may want to add a few x-braces inbetween the verticle post. Looks good so far :thumbsup: , but that guy needs to get in the sun more often. I have a serious white spot burned into my screen now. Where is the blind? I can place the area in the picture.
Cheers
Dave
gooosehunter
hunter

Postby ncbufflehead » Mon Aug 12, 2013 2:13 pm

A guy down here used bamboo curtains a few years ago and tied a clump of reeds about every 8"-12" . It looked good. When I saw the thread title, I thought that was what this was going to be about.

On my boat hide, the last couple years I've put down poles about 6' apart and put one piece of rope around at the top and another right at the water line instead of using 2x4 and I haven't had any problems yet. I think it being able to move a little absorbs the shock from the waves like you are talking.
ncbufflehead
hunter

Postby Have Gun Will Travel » Tue Aug 13, 2013 11:15 am

lbhansford wrote:best part of all its native....... hope someone got that :hammer:

One will be very pleased.
adustydawg2 wrote: maybe, just maybe, if you held your mouth right and prayed a little, you might get a 1 day invite before the end of the season. :eek: :hammer: Just a possibility. :bow: Send me a pm. :hi:
Have Gun Will Travel
hunter

Postby Mr.Blonde » Wed Aug 14, 2013 2:02 pm

Cool idea! How far did you drive them down? We have a ton behind the Mathews house. My fear is after they dry they may get weaker and not be able to hold up weight? Good luck either way and post up finished pics! :clapping:
“Heaven to me is endless cypress swamps and hardwood forests loaded with game and ducks and not a game warden around!” -Phil Robertson
Mr.Blonde
hunter

Postby LEWDOG » Wed Aug 14, 2013 2:52 pm

Bamboo has a long history of being use here on the bay b/c the worms don't eat it up like they do to wood . Things like oyster ground & channel markers and crab pound poles . Plus I have never seen a rotten piece of bamboo so I would say it would work great for a boat hide / blind wall framing .

:smile: LD :wink:
A Market Hunter born 100 years to late
:)/\__________<*)((((>{
The hardest thing a duck hunter in Va. has to do is to Not read more into the blind laws then what is in black and white . Lewdog 1999
http://www.vawfa.org
LEWDOG
hunter

Postby DUKSLAYA92 » Thu Aug 15, 2013 6:20 am

Once the bamboo dries, you'll have to go back and re-tighten all of your joints. I've used big zip ties and they work pretty good since you can just pull ou the slack in the joints and tighten it back up.
DUKSLAYA92
hunter

Postby lbhansford » Thu Aug 15, 2013 6:35 am

Yeah lew, i have found pieces on random beaches andin wood lines after storms that probably drifted around the bay for years and they were still solid so i think it should hold up well. I did not know the worms part but BIG bonus.

MR Blonde, they are in the ground at least 4 ft. i went until i made it throu the sand and into the mud beneath. as a test the big guy in the photo tried to bend/break/pull out of the ground one half the size that was a piece of scrap after i drove it and it didnt flinch. I even tied the boat to it and goosed her seeing if i could pull it out. still no luck. Wanted to make sure it would be feasible before i spent the time driving those things by hand with a block of 2x4 and maul. Ill keep ya posted on it through the season.
lbhansford
hunter

Postby swampbilly 1980 » Thu Aug 15, 2013 6:38 am

DUKSLAYA92 wrote:Once the bamboo dries, you'll have to go back and re-tighten all of your joints. I've used big zip ties and they work pretty good since you can just pull ou the slack in the joints and tighten it back up.

Ducks flare from zipties! :eek:
:devil:
swampbilly 1980
Forum & State Moderator

Postby lbhansford » Thu Aug 15, 2013 12:46 pm

dang swamp shooting down all my ideas..... i suppose nails, screws or any other fastners are out of the question too huh? guess the only way to not flare'em is a ghillie suit or ear of corn costume :banana:
lbhansford
hunter

Postby NativeGaelGunna » Thu Aug 15, 2013 1:18 pm

Haha ya I see ya Mr. The frame looks sturdy. The boat looks money. How did you drive them down? Did you hammer em or make crosses and tell the big guy to push?

I would use small pine trees with not tons of surface area. One more question, what about the roof? Could just lay some extra brush in between gunners or say to heck with it if your crushing only divers. But if its real duky/ windy you might want to gameplay something more sturdy that way you won't have to hold anything and you can still call
Tanks Nayspahegh
NativeGaelGunna
hunter

Postby goosesmacker » Fri Aug 16, 2013 3:51 am

lbhansford wrote:Decided to try out an idea i have been kicking around for a boat blind. Had one get wiped out a week after building last year due to superstorm sandy so decided instead of a house blind that i would build a boat blind. Made the whole thing out of 550 cordage and bamboo and i have to say this thing feels like it could take on a hurricane. With round crossmembers i think waves will not slap so hard as with lumber and bamboo has some flex so it can absorb energy from impacts. We sank each pole about 4 to 6 ft so i am fairly certain she will stay on a flood tide as well. Just needs a ring of chicken wire and some bushing attached and she will be good to go. gonna try and finish today after work.

IBH,
Thanks for posting up .... hope you well share with us pictures of your completed project. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Virginia Waterfowling Workshop, Sept. 26-28, an event worth attending.
goosesmacker
hunter

Postby swampbilly 1980 » Fri Aug 16, 2013 5:31 am

lbhansford wrote:dang swamp shooting down all my ideas..... i suppose nails, screws or any other fastners are out of the question too huh? guess the only way to not flare'em is a ghillie suit or ear of corn costume :banana:

:lol3:
Just having some fun, (my 'gawd I'm bored). Have got everything ready to go, it's like waiting for a pot to boil.

Hope I didn't mess your thread up, it's a fantastic idea.
swampbilly 1980
Forum & State Moderator

Postby lbhansford » Mon Aug 19, 2013 2:31 pm

its all good swamp, just having fun with ya. ive got pretty thick skin.

Native- the boat has a full blind on it with top cover so we still pop it up when in the box. its more or less to keep the motion from rocking with waves to a minimum and to hold my spot. Found it to be good over the last few years so didnt want some wahoo to come build a blind there and @$$ me out of a good ducky spot. Already had that happen once with someone that i thought was a close friend. ended up building in my favorite spot and shooting it out on the weekly at whatever flew.
lbhansford
hunter

Postby DuckWarOutfitting » Thu Aug 22, 2013 5:22 pm

i like the idea. looks nice
DuckWarOutfitting
hunter

Postby lbhansford » Fri Aug 23, 2013 10:33 am

thanks man. Gonna try and get out to bush the blinds this weekend
lbhansford
hunter

Postby lbhansford » Thu Aug 29, 2013 6:42 am

as promised mostly finished pic of the bamboo blind. gonna put a little bit more cover on it but its legal!
Attachments
blind1resized.jpg
lbhansford
hunter

Next

Return to Virginia Duck Hunting