NOVA hunters...can you check my plan?

For information on local hunting and meet other hunters here in the Virginia duck hunting forum.

Moderators: swampbilly 1980, Ichabod97, callncut, fowl mouth

NOVA hunters...can you check my plan?

Postby infantry86 » Sun Aug 18, 2013 6:57 am

Hello all, trying not to get shot/arrested so I figured I would ask for some advice. It's killing me not having a good place to duck/goose hunt around here so I have devised a plan that I would appreciate if you would tell me is stupid/illegal.

I have a 12 foot fishing kayak and plan on putting in and tracking the edge of Mason Neck and Occoquan wildlife refuges during september goose. I am guessing this area is chock full of hunters during regular season, but how about september goose? I don't want to be floating by blind after blind and pissing off the entire waterfowling community. My other option is to hunt in the blinds at Ft Belvoir, but I don't really have enough canada floaters to do so, and the lottery system can be a little annoying.

Thanks for the help gentlemen. Just another NOVA guy trying to make it another season without going crazy...
Just lookin for the ducks...
infantry86
hunter

Re: NOVA hunters...can you check my plan?

Postby NOVAggie » Sun Aug 18, 2013 3:31 pm

Fact that area is locked up.

I hear the lottery isn't so bad lately. For early geese, I'd knock on doors a little west of nova. The goose spots east of 95 are locked up. Don't forget quantico, ap hill, and dyke marsh.
I SUPPORT SUNDAY HUNTING IN VIRGINIA!!

imaduckin up north wrote:Lew starts twitchin when aggie walks in the room
NOVAggie
hunter

Postby Duck Diver » Mon Aug 19, 2013 4:51 am

I met 2 military guys last year that carried a canoe in almost 2 miles where I hunt. Needless to say I had my limit and they hadn't seen a duck. They were just trying new areas and highly recommended quantico. If it wasn't so far I'd check it out myself.

Not sure how much a pita to get registered for the actual spot on morning of hunt is, but pre trip includes copy of insurance for vehicle, gun serial number, and proof of hunter education. Oh, and i think a yearly fee around 50 bucks.

With that in mind, i had DGIF send me my hunter ed card from 1988. cost a few bucks but was glad they had record.
Duck Diver
hunter

Postby infantry86 » Mon Aug 19, 2013 8:01 am

Yea I actually never thought about quantico for waterfowl. I generally try to stay away from the jarheads but it might be worth a shot. Im limited on scouting so I might try belvoir for early goose and see how annoying the blind lottery is. On that note, if anyone here can hunt belvoir me and my dog would need a buddy or two to hunt with, pm me if anyone is interested in teaming up. Im only in the kayal so you would need your own watercraft
Just lookin for the ducks...
infantry86
hunter

Postby rlh01 » Tue Aug 20, 2013 4:37 pm

I don't want to rain on your parade but the area from the Wilson Bridge to the 301 Bridge is a giant Honey Hole for waterfowl and because of the huge population centers in this area it is one of the most contested hunting area in the US. Yes is is a greal waterfowl hunting area; but, it is complicated. First the Maryland Border goes to the Virginia Shoreline. Second is that a VA blind license occupies avery inch of land that occupies all creeks that are not part of Maryland. Sometimes someone forgets to get a license; but, there are hundreds of duck hunters that seem to keep track of every inch of this large Honey Hole. Third, the Potomac River area in December and January timeframe is a killer area. Wind driven water, strong winds and changing winds plus ice can make the river and the creeks that feed it a really dangerous places. You may want to think about a 18 foot center console to move up and down the river and up the various creeks; but, even then you need to be careful of the blind licenses along the shoreline. Quantico and Ft Belvoir have access points and blinds but the lines are long and they have priority systems. Additionally, the blinds get a lot of shooting so the ducks and geese avoid the pressure. Draw a two hour circle around the DC area and then scout outside that boundry and you may find your own honey hole. If you find that honey hole don't come back to this site and brag as someone will hack where you live and start to follow you to the honey hole. This is from 35 years of experience of living in Alexandria and hunting this area. It is a great place but requires patience and a lot of effort.
rlh01
hunter

Return to Virginia Duck Hunting