new proposed season dates in VA (For David S. Specifically)

For information on local hunting and meet other hunters here in the Virginia duck hunting forum.

Moderators: swampbilly 1980, fowl mouth, callncut, Ichabod97

new proposed season dates in VA (For David S. Specifically)

Postby Cap'm Pooty » Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:24 am

There was a push and a good chance that we would get a two week split and an earlier start date to our season this year because of a push by local hunters and statewide hunters. However, it has come to MY attention that David S. has stifled this effort by calling someone on the GAMECOMMISION and saying that he had too many blinds to brush and it wasn 't good for his schedule and that dozens of hunters were against it .

That is a pile of crap and I want to know who these hunters were because ANYONE that has hunted Back bay and has any kind of duck hunting knowledge knows that December is no good, November is good....and why would anyone want to keep those dates in place if you were essentially wasting two weeks of duck season.....one week where you could be killing ducks but the season is closed and one where you are NOT killing ducks and the season is open?????? flippin insane and totally BS...

Your name was at the forefront of why it's not happening now, when the VDGIF was poised to change it.....so YOU, or whatever you said, got them to change their minds. I have not personally met anyone that hunts Back Bay that does not want this change, SO who in the *&%# are you talking to?

** IF I was told wrong, then I apologize. If I was told right, then you are clueless.
Last edited by Cap'm Pooty on Thu Aug 22, 2013 12:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Cap'm Pooty
hunter

Re: new proposed season dates in VA (For David S. Specifally

Postby Tangier Island Slacker » Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:48 am

Cap'm Pooty wrote:There was a push and a good chance that we would get a two week split and an earlier start date to our season this year because of a push by local hunters and statewide hunters.

Nope, it was very heavily dominated by guys from the SE part of the state. Talk to guys who diver hunt just about anywhere or puddler hunt the 75% of the state north and west of Hampton Roads, and they'll tell you that there are too many days in November already. We'll take a few more days in October, but then start at the last legal day in January and count backwards. November sucks for most everyone that's not in your region.

Cap'm Pooty wrote:I have not personally met anyone that hunts Back Bay that does not want this change, SO who in the *&%# are you talking to?

Guys that don't live in the SE corner of the state, probably.

The rest of us don't want the change in season dates, and zones aren't an option for a couple more years.
Tangier Island Slacker
hunter

Postby swampbilly 1980 » Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:55 am

My lord Captn'-
Tell us how you really feel! :lol3:

Know that it gets fustrating when things like this happen, but this looks like a train wreck waiting to happen.
Careful here.

Know you didn't ask for it, JMHO, this ain't the way to do it.
I'd seriously doubt one person could influence the Virginia Dept. of Game and Inland Fisheries by himself.
Swampbilly1980- I got a feeva',..and the only cure is more Mergansers and face paint.
swampbilly 1980
Forum & State Moderator

Postby bowhunter1212 » Tue Aug 20, 2013 12:11 pm

It ain't over til its over and slacker you don't have a clue.
bowhunter1212
hunter

Postby lbhansford » Tue Aug 20, 2013 12:28 pm

Pooty's alive! .... and it sounds like someone is encroaching on his merganser/dipper hole. :lol3:

I would like to see 2 weeks in OCTOBER on the Penninsula instead of and start the last split a week later.
lbhansford
hunter

Postby Tangier Island Slacker » Tue Aug 20, 2013 12:37 pm

bowhunter1212 wrote:It ain't over til its over and slacker you don't have a clue.

It's over for this year, unlikely for the next few, and I know a lot more about the inner workings of this than you think.

Also, your crush on me is somewhat disturbing.
Tangier Island Slacker
hunter

Postby Cap'm Pooty » Tue Aug 20, 2013 12:41 pm

I dont give a crap what days in October and November they give us, just that we get 2 weeks gone in December, they are wasted...

Like I said, everyone I talk to around Currituck and Back Bay and a few from the shore want less days in December and more days in November.

all I know is his name came up and I would like to know who those hunters were that said no to changing it around here and up in back bay. simple.
Cap'm Pooty
hunter

Postby Tangier Island Slacker » Tue Aug 20, 2013 12:46 pm

Cap'm Pooty wrote:I dont give a crap what days in October and November they give us, just that we get 2 weeks gone in December, they are wasted...

Like I said, everyone I talk to around Currituck and Back Bay and a few from the shore want less days in December and more days in November.

Everyone who hunts that area has said the same thing for years, but the rest of us like December and January and a little of October, so push for zones the next time that opportunity comes up (2 years?).

Seems like a lot of this will be on the next few waterfowl surveys, so we'll all get our say soon enough.
Tangier Island Slacker
hunter

Postby skydog » Tue Aug 20, 2013 1:44 pm

Personally I'm all for the two week december split and longer November season (lining up with NC season) but I have a hard time believing it's not happening for this reason. I've always thought it wouldn't hapeen because the season would then overlap with a week of muzzeloader season, and the powers that be would never go for that.
skydog
hunter

Postby bay gunner » Tue Aug 20, 2013 1:48 pm

Tangier Island Slacker wrote:
Cap'm Pooty wrote:There was a push and a good chance that we would get a two week split and an earlier start date to our season this year because of a push by local hunters and statewide hunters.

Nope, it was very heavily dominated by guys from the SE part of the state. Talk to guys who diver hunt just about anywhere or puddler hunt the 75% of the state north and west of Hampton Roads, and they'll tell you that there are too many days in November already. We'll take a few more days in October, but then start at the last legal day in January and count backwards. November sucks for most everyone that's not in your region.

Cap'm Pooty wrote:I have not personally met anyone that hunts Back Bay that does not want this change, SO who in the *&%# are you talking to?

Guys that don't live in the SE corner of the state, probably.

The rest of us don't want the change in season dates, and zones aren't an option for a couple more years.

I hunt ducks on the Shore, on the Tidewater rivers from the Northern Neck south, on the Bay proper, and Back Bay. Much of it diver hunting. Much of it also marsh ducks. Geese as well, thanks to the current goose season splits. First two weeks in December are worthless any way you slice it. We need zones. Western VA, can't speak for them.

Also, DAVE S., WHY?
bay gunner
hunter

Postby Tangier Island Slacker » Tue Aug 20, 2013 1:52 pm

bay gunner wrote:I hunt ducks on the Shore, on the Tidewater rivers from the Northern Neck south, on the Bay proper, and Back Bay. Much of it diver hunting. Much of it also marsh ducks. Geese as well, thanks to the current goose season splits. First two weeks in December are worthless any way you slice it. We need zones. Western VA, can't speak for them.

East of 95 and south of 64/33 would be one option, east of 95 and south of 360 would be another.
Tangier Island Slacker
hunter

Postby kahunna » Tue Aug 20, 2013 2:56 pm

Virginia will go to zones to accommodate hunter desires on date changes, but cannot do that for 2 or 3 years as the USFWS will not let states change hunting zones for 5 year periods. Obviously, we are in year 2 or 3 of our 5 year period of having things the way they are. Surveys (as someone indicated above) will be coming for evaluation first.
Don't know a "David S", but have not seen that name involved in discussions among many folks.
kahunna
hunter

Postby gobblin870 » Tue Aug 20, 2013 3:49 pm

Ducks are not hard to kill.. There just easy to miss
gobblin870
hunter

Postby DUKSLAYA92 » Thu Aug 22, 2013 11:41 am

skydog wrote:Personally I'm all for the two week december split and longer November season (lining up with NC season) but I have a hard time believing it's not happening for this reason. I've always thought it wouldn't hapeen because the season would then overlap with a week of muzzeloader season, and the powers that be would never go for that.

I have personally seen a pile of ducks on some of the larger mouintain rivers in the early fall of the year. I know folks that hunt out that way, much further west than Harrisonburg and TIS's strip mall seafood store, that have birds in Novemeber. This ain't about migrations or duck numbers. :fingerpt:
DUKSLAYA92
hunter

Postby Tangier Island Slacker » Thu Aug 22, 2013 12:08 pm

DUKSLAYA92 wrote:I know folks that hunt out that way, much further west than Harrisonburg and TIS's strip mall seafood store, that have birds in Novemeber. This ain't about migrations or duck numbers.:fingerpt:

Another stalker, another wrong guess. And just 15 miles to my west is an entirely different state.
Tangier Island Slacker
hunter

Re: new proposed season dates in VA (For David S. Specifical

Postby chop123 » Thu Aug 22, 2013 6:43 pm

I to live and hunt in the northern neck, and to me there are not many ducks or geese here in november,to me the season needs to be pushed back more days in december and january half of feb would be even better,i guess zones could be the answer.Most years there is no weather to have enough birds here in nov,for the coast, start season in dec and last until mid feb would be great,definitely for geese.
chop123
hunter

Postby va marsh rat » Thu Aug 22, 2013 7:36 pm

Duck season cannot be pushed any later. Federal regulations mandate that it ends in late January. :hammer:

In my opinion, the November birds are a different type of birds than the January birds we get. January birds are usually late migrators that will hang around an area until the weather forces them south. November ( and October) birds are more likely to be migrating due to the shortening of the days. This is a more guaranteed thing then the cold fronts because the daylight on November 9th is always the same every year, regardless of wind, precipitation, or temperature, so I have to believe ducks migrating according to the daylight changes would tend to follow more of a set schedule.
Now we will also get significant weather events in October/November, they just may not seem significant because there's no snow and ice. In other words, a day or two in the low 40's when temperatures have been averaging in the 50's is definitely enough to push down those early birds, even if it may not seem like classic frigid duck weather. I remember checking on my blinds in early November after a nor'easter in 2009 and seeing birds everywhere, about 2-3 weeks before the season was going to come in.

For what it's worth, I'm hunting somewhere between the Potomac and the York.
va marsh rat
hunter

Postby recoil slinger » Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:23 pm

va marsh rat wrote:Duck season cannot be pushed any later. Federal regulations mandate that it ends in late January. :hammer:

In my opinion, the November birds are a different type of birds than the January birds we get. January birds are usually late migrators that will hang around an area until the weather forces them south. November ( and October) birds are more likely to be migrating due to the shortening of the days. This is a more guaranteed thing then the cold fronts because the daylight on November 9th is always the same every year, regardless of wind, precipitation, or temperature, so I have to believe ducks migrating according to the daylight changes would tend to follow more of a set schedule.
Now we will also get significant weather events in October/November, they just may not seem significant because there's no snow and ice. In other words, a day or two in the low 40's when temperatures have been averaging in the 50's is definitely enough to push down those early birds, even if it may not seem like classic frigid duck weather. I remember checking on my blinds in early November after a nor'easter in 2009 and seeing birds everywhere, about 2-3 weeks before the season was going to come in.

For what it's worth, I'm hunting somewhere between the Potomac and the York.
this! Plus if you think one man can influence the dgif then I influenced bettsy ross to sew the american flag :beer:
Drank some of daves koolaid, and cant stop looking in the mirror.
vice president of back bay blind retrieval association.
beast mode on
recoil slinger
hunter

Postby Bird Junkie » Fri Aug 23, 2013 11:20 am

Zones are the answer but the people pushing for the season date change don't want zones because they don't want added pressure from come here's in their hunting grounds. I can promise this if we go to more days in nov I for one will be looking for spots in the SE because I like to shoot ducks and there are few ducks in the northern piedmont in nov.
Just being LUCKY!!!!!!! And hoping to be as great a dog trainer as Somebody
Bird Junkie
hunter

Postby Tangier Island Slacker » Fri Aug 23, 2013 1:08 pm

recoil slinger wrote:Plus if you think one man can influence the dgif then I influenced bettsy ross to sew the american flag :beer:

One person's influence can cause a conversation to happen that probably wouldn't occur otherwise.

Bird Junkie wrote:Zones are the answer but the people pushing for the season date change don't want zones because they don't want added pressure from come here's in their hunting grounds. I can promise this if we go to more days in nov I for one will be looking for spots in the SE because I like to shoot ducks and there are few ducks in the northern piedmont in nov.

Yup. They're in a hurry to trade one problem for another one exactly like it, only on different days on the calendar.

And here's another thing that makes no sense: lining up the seasons to all the surrounding states not only cuts off opportunity for them to come here, but also works the other way and lessens our opportunities to expand our seasons elsewhere. With WV and MD, my opportunities within 80 miles are increased by almost 20 duck days (from 60 to close to 80) and something like 40 goose days (from about 113 to about 151, give or take a few, depending on the year). When the seasons don't align, it's more potential hunting days for everyone.
Tangier Island Slacker
hunter

Postby bowhunter1212 » Fri Aug 23, 2013 2:42 pm

I wish I knew what day between the 9th of November and the 16 that the big migration was coming in .I want to be in my blind to watch it .It will be awesome. :welcome: :clapping: :grooving: :huh:
bowhunter1212
hunter

Postby Islander Gunner » Fri Aug 23, 2013 2:47 pm

What amazes me is that it was 6 days we are talking about. Not re- arranging the whole entire waterfowl season. one week moved up and one week set back...you'd of thought we were trying to re- invent the wheel. Absolutely amazing :rolleyes:
We're not down here in the blind playing baby house!
Islander Gunner
hunter

Postby bowhunter1212 » Fri Aug 23, 2013 3:15 pm

Hey , but Costanzos department will get a bunch of money to study and survey it .Makes good reason for job justification.Is there anyone in the dgif that dosn't have a job title of some kind of manager. Who does the work ?
bowhunter1212
hunter

Postby Bird Junkie » Fri Aug 23, 2013 4:21 pm

I am all for a change just not willing to give up any time in October and from where I sit I want more days in October
Just being LUCKY!!!!!!! And hoping to be as great a dog trainer as Somebody
Bird Junkie
hunter

Postby LEWDOG » Fri Aug 23, 2013 11:02 pm

There was a push and a good chance that we would get a two week split and an earlier start date to our season this year
It must have been before the public comment meeting b/c it was clear during the meeting that time was not there . Said that input from hunters from all over the state and studies would come before any change could be made .
For me a two week split wouldn't be good but hey I'm just one person and if had to I could deal .

:huh: LD :smile:
A Market Hunter born 100 years to late
:)/\__________<*)((((>{
The hardest thing a duck hunter in Va. has to do is to Not read more into the blind laws then what is in black and white . Lewdog 1999
http://www.vawfa.org
LEWDOG
hunter

Next

Return to Virginia Duck Hunting