Chincoteague Hunting

For information on local hunting and meet other hunters here in the Virginia duck hunting forum.

Moderators: swampbilly 1980, Ichabod97, callncut, fowl mouth

Chincoteague Hunting

Postby Jetmec2k » Tue Aug 20, 2013 3:14 pm

My family may be buying property in Chincoteague and I am obviously excited about the hunting that the area has to offer. I am a West Virginia duck hunter and I float hunt my beavertail canoe for woodies and mallards when the slack water freezes up and I have never hunted over decoys or from a blind, Well I have used my boat as a ground blind...but anyway. My question is how does one go about getting access to the hunting blinds that line the roads leading into the islands. Also I would have access to the "creek" that feeds Fowling Gut...is this propper ettiqute to float this and then float into the gut and use my boat as a blind from that location? How are the locals towards out of state hunters, even though im a property owner? Is anyone from Chincoteague who I could talk with about the local ettiqute....Thanks for the input.
Jetmec2k
hunter

Re: Chincoteague Hunting

Postby cut_un » Tue Aug 20, 2013 4:47 pm

When you move over that way... Make as many friends as you can,fast! Til then, you will be viewed as "a come here" :fingerpt: more doors should open up when you become a local. Good luck
Big Al's" Take 'Em" Silhouettes Pro Staff

Team Chasin' Feathers
Eastern Shore Rod & Gun Club
Share your passion, take a kid hunting!
cut_un
hunter

Postby lbhansford » Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:37 am

no blind laws so you can float hunt where you want on public water.
Current is very strong and can be deadly in the winter. would avoid using a canoe Period
92.4567% of all your good ducks are on the NWR impoundments or private ones.
dont ever go on a guided hunt with this joker http://www.assateagueisland.com/hunting.htm

thats my advice for ya.
lbhansford
hunter

Postby petrel » Fri Aug 23, 2013 11:25 am

What Cut said. Go easy.
petrel
hunter

Postby Have Gun Will Travel » Fri Aug 23, 2013 11:56 am

Some of those blinds are private and some are owned by guides along the causeway. Do not use one unless you pay a guide to do so or get permission from the guy who built it. Loose the canoe and get a duck boat. Spend a lot of time learning where the oyster rocks and mud flats are. Chances are the same route you take at high tide will have little to no water at low so you need to know a couple routes to and from. This is best learned while the water is warm for all the times you'll run aground. The bottom changes every year other than the marked main channels and even then they change some if they arent being used much or dredged.
adustydawg2 wrote: maybe, just maybe, if you held your mouth right and prayed a little, you might get a 1 day invite before the end of the season. :eek: :hammer: Just a possibility. :bow: Send me a pm. :hi:
Have Gun Will Travel
hunter

Postby mountairyplantation » Fri Aug 23, 2013 12:05 pm

does chincoteague have local etiquette? all i saw were some closed down shops.

the people are actually pretty friendly and as a new duck hunter you might just luck into the right crowd. i met a couple cool guys over there last year who invited me to hunt w them. hang out at the ace hardware as much as you can and strike up conversations with anyone wearing a camo hat.

"dont ever go on a guided hunt with this joker http://www.assateagueisland.com/hunting.htm"

^^
what he said. most importantly stay away from the above mentioned joker and you'll be alright.

jte
mountairyplantation
DHC Sponsor

Postby Have Gun Will Travel » Fri Aug 23, 2013 12:44 pm

I agree. He is not well liked by locals.
adustydawg2 wrote: maybe, just maybe, if you held your mouth right and prayed a little, you might get a 1 day invite before the end of the season. :eek: :hammer: Just a possibility. :bow: Send me a pm. :hi:
Have Gun Will Travel
hunter

Postby lbhansford » Fri Aug 23, 2013 1:04 pm

.....or the out of towners. pretty bad when the come heres dont like ya :lol3: :lol3:
lbhansford
hunter

Postby Have Gun Will Travel » Fri Aug 23, 2013 1:24 pm

He's a jerseyite himself.
Have Gun Will Travel
hunter

Return to Virginia Duck Hunting