Duck hunter migration

For information on local hunting and meet other hunters here in the Virginia duck hunting forum.

Moderators: swampbilly 1980, fowl mouth, callncut, Ichabod97

Duck hunter migration

Postby top o va » Wed Aug 21, 2013 5:25 am

It appears that the newbie duck hunter migration is in full swing. I wonder what gets them moving each year? Daylight, temperature, waterfowl gear advertisements? It seems that they start earlier in the SE corner of the state and that the western region gets later movement.....
top o va
hunter

Re: Duck hunter migration

Postby gobblin870 » Wed Aug 21, 2013 5:46 am

New season of duck dynasty just started.
Ducks are not hard to kill.. There just easy to miss
gobblin870
hunter

Postby cut_un » Wed Aug 21, 2013 5:59 am

That's funny! True, but funny :yes:
Big Al's" Take 'Em" Silhouettes Pro Staff

Team Chasin' Feathers
Eastern Shore Rod & Gun Club
Share your passion, take a kid hunting!
cut_un
hunter

Postby imaduckin up north » Wed Aug 21, 2013 6:23 am

im hoping they will come thru early this year and be in florida by the time the season is in full swing
,IS IT DUCK SEASON YET
THERE AINT NO DUCKS IN VA, dicks sporting goods told me so
you can educate ignorance
you can medicate crazy
but you cant fix stupid
imaduckin up north
hunter

Postby scruggs12 » Wed Aug 21, 2013 6:40 am

Everyone has to be new at some point. Only way to become a duck God.
scruggs12
hunter

Postby kahunna » Wed Aug 21, 2013 6:53 am

You can tell the migrators by the DC face paint.
kahunna
hunter

Postby Mr.Blonde » Wed Aug 21, 2013 7:18 am

Good thing I jus bought my Uncle Si tea cup. Now I am ready to hunt Jack!
“Heaven to me is endless cypress swamps and hardwood forests loaded with game and ducks and not a game warden around!” -Phil Robertson
Mr.Blonde
hunter

Postby Tangier Island Slacker » Wed Aug 21, 2013 7:44 am

top o va wrote:It appears that the newbie duck hunter migration is in full swing. I wonder what gets them moving each year? Daylight, temperature, waterfowl gear advertisements? It seems that they start earlier in the SE corner of the state and that the western region gets later movement.....

It's the stacks of "deer" corn at Wally World that turns them on. There have been studies.
Tangier Island Slacker
hunter

Postby lbhansford » Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:19 am

Definitely starting to trickle down from up north. Gonna need a big sale at Basspro on gear to really push them down.
lbhansford
hunter

Postby Mudgun » Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:46 am

scruggs12 wrote:Everyone has to be new at some point. Only way to become a duck God.

Not true. I was at least a demi-god my first trip out.
NOW WITH MORE 100% MORE VITRIOLIC SARCASM!!!
Mudgun
hunter

Postby imaduckin up north » Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:45 am

Mudgun wrote:
scruggs12 wrote:Everyone has to be new at some point. Only way to become a duck God.

Not true. I was at least a demi-god my first trip out.

and mudgun always speaks the truth :bow:
,IS IT DUCK SEASON YET
THERE AINT NO DUCKS IN VA, dicks sporting goods told me so
you can educate ignorance
you can medicate crazy
but you cant fix stupid
imaduckin up north
hunter

Postby scruggs12 » Wed Aug 21, 2013 1:50 pm

Mudgun,

I have no reason to doubt you. I just think its stupid to bash every and all newcomers. How is the sport supposed to grow and peak more interest if you are getting bashed publicly on your first post. People need to sit back and understand that just because you are new or inexperienced doesn't mean you are something less than a "veteran" of the sport. It's just stupid. My point is, everyone has to start something to become experienced at something, except for demi-gods. Why knock them down so early on? Probably fear.
scruggs12
hunter

Postby recoil slinger » Wed Aug 21, 2013 2:13 pm

scruggs12 wrote:Mudgun,

I have no reason to doubt you. I just think its stupid to bash every and all newcomers. How is the sport supposed to grow and peak more interest if you are getting bashed publicly on your first post. People need to sit back and understand that just because you are new or inexperienced doesn't mean you are something less than a "veteran" of the sport. It's just stupid. My point is, everyone has to start something to become experienced at something, except for demi-gods. Why knock them down so early on? Probably fear.

Fear does not exist in this dojo does it?
Drank some of daves koolaid, and cant stop looking in the mirror.
vice president of back bay blind retrieval association.
beast mode on
recoil slinger
hunter

Postby scruggs12 » Wed Aug 21, 2013 2:26 pm

Sweep the legs!
scruggs12
hunter

Postby top o va » Wed Aug 21, 2013 2:27 pm

recoil slinger wrote:Fear does not exist in this dojo does it?

"Mercy is for the weak"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a8lUt0Ile00
top o va
hunter

Postby Mudgun » Wed Aug 21, 2013 2:49 pm

Mostly because they do really dumb stuff. Like idling into your spread at first light. Like putting all their decoys in a circle like a merry go round and tree-topping anything that flies by. I have seen some seriously stupid stuff on the water.

You know why people are stupid? Because they don't listen. My buddy that got me started on duck hunting grew up hunting Church Creek, Blackwater etc in MD. He hunted with some sho nuff duck killers. He's hunted all over the US and is a sho nuff duck killer in his own right. When he told me what I was doing was stupid, I stopped doing it. I paid attention to what he was doing and between the two got it right.
NOW WITH MORE 100% MORE VITRIOLIC SARCASM!!!
Mudgun
hunter

Postby lbhansford » Wed Aug 21, 2013 2:59 pm

is that the scruggs i think it is?
lbhansford
hunter

Postby fowl mouth » Wed Aug 21, 2013 3:00 pm

gobblin870 wrote:New season of duck dynasty just started.

this x346365334 :yes:
Liberty '14-Broadcasting/Digital Media
DUCKHILL BEAU
What a man will do for a duck
#SOMEDUCKSINVA
fowl mouth
State Moderator

Postby scruggs12 » Wed Aug 21, 2013 3:01 pm

Not sure. Which Scruggs do you think it is? One out of Baltimore?
scruggs12
hunter

Postby scruggs12 » Wed Aug 21, 2013 3:18 pm

Mudgun wrote:

Mostly because they do really dumb stuff. Like idling into your spread at first light. Like putting all their decoys in a circle like a merry go round and tree-topping anything that flies by. I have seen some seriously stupid stuff on the water.

You know why people are stupid? Because they don't listen. My buddy that got me started on duck hunting grew up hunting Church Creek, Blackwater etc in MD. He hunted with some sho nuff duck killers. He's hunted all over the US and is a sho nuff duck killer in his own right. When he told me what I was doing was stupid, I stopped doing it. I paid attention to what he was doing and between the two got it right.

I agree, stupid things are done. You had a teacher/mentor to set you straight, that is awesome. Not everyone has that luxury and is left to their own devices.
scruggs12
hunter

Postby recoil slinger » Wed Aug 21, 2013 3:50 pm

scruggs12 wrote:
Mudgun wrote:

I agree, stupid things are done. You had a teacher/mentor to set you straight, that is awesome. Not everyone has that luxury and is left to their own devices.

Danielson shoot duck here shoot duck there. Never shoot duck there. Miyagido
Drank some of daves koolaid, and cant stop looking in the mirror.
vice president of back bay blind retrieval association.
beast mode on
recoil slinger
hunter

Postby NOVAggie » Wed Aug 21, 2013 6:00 pm

gobblin870 wrote:New season of duck dynasty just started.

I dont get this thought. Duck Dynasty is not a hunting show.
I SUPPORT SUNDAY HUNTING IN VIRGINIA!!

imaduckin up north wrote:Lew starts twitchin when aggie walks in the room
NOVAggie
hunter

Postby NOVAggie » Wed Aug 21, 2013 6:05 pm

scruggs12 wrote:

True. The problem is when some of these newbies are told they are doing something wrong, stupid, dangerous, etc. they tell others to F off. We see it all the time on the water. Take the time to go over to their boat and tell them what they are doing wrong and how it screws everyone else up and we get an F off, or similar.

a lot of duck hunters subscribe to the entitlement disease that is killing our country

NOVAggie
hunter

Postby scruggs12 » Wed Aug 21, 2013 6:24 pm

NOVAggie wrote:
scruggs12 wrote:

True. The problem is when some of these newbies are told they are doing something wrong, stupid, dangerous, etc. they tell others to F off. We see it all the time on the water. Take the time to go over to their boat and tell them what they are doing wrong and how it screws everyone else up and we get an F off, or similar.

a lot of duck hunters subscribe to the entitlement disease that is killing our country

NOVA,

That is a different issue all together. I have had "veteran" or whatever set up too close as well. It works both ways. Some bad apples don't ruin the whole lot. When someone on here asks for help, advise, etc., what do they typically get in response? Rocks thrown, "have nots", F off, scout. Where is the sportsmanship in that? It would also seem, the entitlement thing goes both ways.
scruggs12
hunter

Postby NOVAggie » Wed Aug 21, 2013 6:36 pm

scruggs12 wrote:
NOVAggie wrote:
scruggs12 wrote:

NOVA,

That is a different issue all together. I have had "veteran" or whatever set up too close as well. It works both ways. Some bad apples don't ruin the whole lot. When someone on here asks for help, advise, etc., what do they typically get in response? Rocks thrown, "have nots", F off, scout. Where is the sportsmanship in that? It would also seem, the entitlement thing goes both ways.

I hope you are not implying I say that? See the previous newbie NOVA thread.

You too should not throw the veterans in and ruin the whole lot. Besides, Im not veteran. I was new too, especially to the bass ackwards VA regs around duck hunting. I had people help me along the way. I try to do the same. I just get a lot more new guys that turn out to be douches.

NOVAggie
hunter

Next

Return to Virginia Duck Hunting