Duck hunter migration

For information on local hunting and meet other hunters here in the Virginia duck hunting forum.

Moderators: swampbilly 1980, fowl mouth, callncut, Ichabod97

Re: Duck hunter migration

Postby lbhansford » Thu Aug 22, 2013 3:03 pm

happened to me so never again will i go down that road. Ask me why my my mother who is 70 and my gf both have 2 duck each in their name now?
lbhansford
hunter

Postby Mr.Blonde » Thu Aug 22, 2013 3:12 pm

I am fairly new to waterfowl and goose myself. I don't know everything but was raised to respect other hunters and their spots. I know I have a ton to learn and have learned a lot from older hunters and some trial and error. This board has helped and I never asked for gps locations etc.

I will buy anyone a beer willing to share knowledge that lives around the Richmond area! Now can we all sing Kumbaya and just get along! :beer: :beer:
“Heaven to me is endless cypress swamps and hardwood forests loaded with game and ducks and not a game warden around!” -Phil Robertson
Mr.Blonde
hunter

Postby kahunna » Thu Aug 22, 2013 5:32 pm

scruggs12 = Good luck with your internet police crusade against sarcasm on the forum. I for one, do not respect newbies who come here first, without the necessary preliminary research having been done. Carry on.
kahunna
hunter

Postby scruggs12 » Thu Aug 22, 2013 6:31 pm

kahunna wrote:scruggs12 = Good luck with your internet police crusade against sarcasm on the forum. I for one, do not respect newbies who come here first, without the necessary preliminary research having been done. Carry on.

Will do Kahunna.

Thanks
:hi:
scruggs12
hunter

Postby skydog » Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:14 pm

The season needs to get here fast... :fingerhead: :fingerhead:
skydog
hunter

Postby imaduckin up north » Fri Aug 23, 2013 5:31 am

happens every year just like death and taxes, i blame it on the newbies :yes:
,IS IT DUCK SEASON YET
THERE AINT NO DUCKS IN VA, dicks sporting goods told me so
you can educate ignorance
you can medicate crazy
but you cant fix stupid
imaduckin up north
hunter

Postby top o va » Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:09 am

The reason for the creation of this thread was two fold. One to bust the chops of the new guys. I've been at this for 10 years and since the beginning I have gotten my chops busted by guys that have done this longer than I have. Way I see it getting joked on is as much a part of duck hunting as dogs, blinds, and shotguns. Second I do find it funny how this forum unlike any other I am on gets a large influx of the new to the sport, area, getting back into type threads starting every year around this time. Maybe it is a testament to this forum being helpful to others and the word spreading or maybe it is because it is the first thing that comes up when you google "duck hunting". I don't know. Maybe I need to find a more serious crowd to hunt with and consider that maybe the past 10 years I haven't been getting good natured ribbing but really I have been the victim of bullying.......
top o va
hunter

Postby Mudgun » Fri Aug 23, 2013 8:06 am

And from the pics I saw yesterday, your son will be bullying you into a 20' Starcraft with a 115 Yammie on it.
NOW WITH MORE 100% MORE VITRIOLIC SARCASM!!!
Mudgun
hunter

Postby NOVAggie » Fri Aug 23, 2013 8:47 am

Top, we bully, er I mean rib you because we actually hurt on the inside. :sad:
I SUPPORT SUNDAY HUNTING IN VIRGINIA!!

imaduckin up north wrote:Lew starts twitchin when aggie walks in the room
NOVAggie
hunter

Postby Bird Junkie » Fri Aug 23, 2013 11:09 am

Looking for spots to shoot ducks any help greatly appreciated.
Just being LUCKY!!!!!!! And hoping to be as great a dog trainer as Somebody
Bird Junkie
hunter

Postby lbhansford » Fri Aug 23, 2013 11:21 am

Hey guys not new here, lived in the area my whole life, never duck hunted before.. ummmm... errr... i mean getting back into it i guess you would say. Oh and I dont have waders. I do have a dog though. its a beagle/pug mix and he loves to play fetch with a tennis ball. would love for somebody to tell me where to hunt or take me and my dog along for a hunt at your spot. did i mention he's gunshy. shouldnt be a problem though. you bring the boat, decoys, fuel, and breakfast/lunch. I'll bring my brand new call that i still havent gotten a chance to take out the plastic and some #5 turkey loads. i even found a bunch of blinds all over the chickahominy that we can borrow since i havent seen anyone hunting out of them while out walking the puggle. HIT ME UP! :beer:
lbhansford
hunter

Postby Bird Junkie » Fri Aug 23, 2013 11:31 am

PM at ya BRO!
Just being LUCKY!!!!!!! And hoping to be as great a dog trainer as Somebody
Bird Junkie
hunter

Postby flint4045 » Fri Aug 23, 2013 8:18 pm

scruggs12 wrote:
flint4045 wrote:
scruggs12 wrote:Mudgun,

I have no reason to doubt you. I just think its stupid to bash every and all newcomers. How is the sport supposed to grow and peak more interest if you are getting bashed publicly on your first post. People need to sit back and understand that just because you are new or inexperienced doesn't mean you are something less than a "veteran" of the sport. It's just stupid. My point is, everyone has to start something to become experienced at something, except for demi-gods. Why knock them down so early on? Probably fear.

Grow and peak new interest is one thing. I see a whole bunch of pretty boy wanna bees running around my neck of the woods.
A store bought duck band 550 cord necklace and a duck commander tee shirt does not make one a duck hunter.
Just a passing fad for most of them I think. Couple of cold icy mornings should thin the herd .

Flint,

Your neck of the woods??? Just because someone lives outside of your woods, they automatically become a duck dynasty wanna-be??? My first VHS was "The Art of Commanding Ducks", by Phil Robertson, pre Duck Dynasty days. This was 14-15 years ago. I, personally, think the show is funny as hell in a weird, stupid kind of way. I don't want to duck hunt any more or less because of the show. They don't even hunt on it. If this is a fad, good it will pass. Less people in the water in the long run. Once the work begins, they cap their waders, drop a call into ice water, said call freezes up, they may move on. I live in NOVA because I moved here with my parents before I could choose. I rock a ZZ Top ish goatee, think camo should be a primary color, love cold mornings and mud, is that your idea of a pretty boy? Maybe a different way of life up here, but love the hunt just as much as you.

I am just saying I see a Whole bunch of people running around with duck commander t shirts. I don't watch much tv or videos. Aint got nothing against the robbinson clan. Glad they done well. I just think the duck commander t shirt/Wal-Mart /bass-pro display thing are a passing fad.
As for NOVA. I get the hives when I get close to Fredericksburg. Lord knows what would happen if I made it to the peoples republic of northern Va.
flint4045
hunter

Postby LEWDOG » Sat Aug 24, 2013 9:27 pm

Hunting forums are a tool that hunters at all skill levels can use , some post like they are the blind boss while others just want to find a legal spot to play the part of a duck hunter . Most never post or just on a subject they have a good idea how it works , yes then there are the few that signs up as the "New To Hunting" user name which almost never makes it pass the first thread posted .
Now I don't know about the rest of you but I would much rather read about someone looking for a public place to get their boots muddy then how mister Great Right killed a limit before the first cup of coffee . Funny thing is Great Right is quick to blame someone that names a location in a off the wall post when someone new comes into that area . When in reality it was the bragging of Great Right that set off flares on the tool side of these forums . I mean some put where they live / hunt under there avatar where others leave it blank and make other to search it out . Rarely do I talk about kills and for good reasons but the number of dead per hunt has nothing to do with how good of a hunter one is IMO . Yes thanks to blind laws there are haves and have not-s but there is no such thing as a have not that can't become a Have if they want to . Someone new could very well have duck city in there back pocket an which forum member will find that out , the put downer or the helper ? Again a tool that can be used a lot of ways by a lot of different forum members .
I'll end with do onto others as you would want others do onto you .

:hammer: LD :hammer:
A Market Hunter born 100 years to late
:)/\__________<*)((((>{
The hardest thing a duck hunter in Va. has to do is to Not read more into the blind laws then what is in black and white . Lewdog 1999
http://www.vawfa.org
LEWDOG
hunter

Postby :-) » Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:28 pm

I was lucky and started hunting ducks with family, and I assure you the bashing that takes place on this forum is nowhere near the bashings I took for doing stupid stuff while hunting.

My $.02...you can look at my profile and see that I've only been a member here for a short time, BUT it don't take long to figure out how to read between the lines.

My suggestion for anyone looking to get into the great sport of WATERfowl hunting is go find WATER, and once you get there look for birds.

It's really not that hard, and if you really expect me to give you tips on where to go you're crazy!

If a person can't google state and federal laws, find the public land, and scout for birds on their own then I don't want to share the water with em!

Stupid and lazy don't mix with firearms...that's a fact Jack!
:-)
hunter

Postby old1neck » Sun Aug 25, 2013 6:23 am

Asking for advice from strangers on an internet forum is not a problem at all. Having the nerve to ask complete strangers on a forum to take them hunting is amusing. I'll bring snacks and pitch in on gas...really? I wonder how many people have actually driven to West Monroe and asked the Robertsons to take them hunting. I read an interview somewhere that Phil had to put a gate up LOL.
What time is shooting time?
old1neck
hunter

Postby flint4045 » Sun Aug 25, 2013 7:02 am

LEWDOG wrote:Hunting forums are a tool that hunters at all skill levels can use , some post like they are the blind boss while others just want to find a legal spot to play the part of a duck hunter . Most never post or just on a subject they have a good idea how it works , yes then there are the few that signs up as the "New To Hunting" user name which almost never makes it pass the first thread posted .
Now I don't know about the rest of you but I would much rather read about someone looking for a public place to get their boots muddy then how mister Great Right killed a limit before the first cup of coffee . Funny thing is Great Right is quick to blame someone that names a location in a off the wall post when someone new comes into that area . When in reality it was the bragging of Great Right that set off flares on the tool side of these forums . I mean some put where they live / hunt under there avatar where others leave it blank and make other to search it out . Rarely do I talk about kills and for good reasons but the number of dead per hunt has nothing to do with how good of a hunter one is IMO . Yes thanks to blind laws there are haves and have not-s but there is no such thing as a have not that can't become a Have if they want to . Someone new could very well have duck city in there back pocket an which forum member will find that out , the put downer or the helper ? Again a tool that can be used a lot of ways by a lot of different forum members .
I'll end with do onto others as you would want others do onto you .

:hammer: LD :hammer:

AMEN brother LD
flint4045
hunter

Postby West Point Duck » Sun Sep 01, 2013 7:49 am

I read almost all of the posts and find them amusing to say the least. I am new to duck hunting as in last season was my first. I have hunted all my life and have found that duck hunting is a very protected sport. I am not a fan of blind laws however i hunted the last day of goose season on Chesdin and felt like a criminal being watched by the feds. easily accessed water is not the place to go when you are new.

last day of duck season i pulled into the dock with my limit and the seasoned hunters so to speak did not have any and i know this from the lack of shooting.

New hunter or seasoned hunter as the saying goes you can't fix stupid. Everyone knows that you have to be in your spot before day light. If you don't know that hunting is not for you. Even though i am new to duck hunting i am not intimidated by the old seasoned duck hunters and will ask people for advice and tips on setting up decoys. I had the opportunity to go on a late season goose hunt with someone that has hunted for years and most of you probably know. Had a blast and he actually took the time to explain how and why decoys are set and even going into detail about early and late season. I had the time of my life even though we only killed one goose and that was after two of us emptied our guns and he shot once.

I always welcome the opportunity to hunt with new people that are seasoned hunters like myself and if they bow hunt i know that they are most likely very ethical as well and put in their time.

Remember this that some new people are like me and they have access to water and just have never duck hunted before till now. Some newbies are your way into other water to hunt because they know other land owners. I don't take it personally whey you guys bash the new duck hunters because some need bashing.

If you are new and have access to water lets talk as i don't mind a couple of hunting buddies. hard to hunt alone. As long as you like to get muddy we will get along. Killing ducks all season is hard work and if you don't hunt out of a blind and take the time to scout you will have water to hunt.

the only thing that kept me from killing a lot of ducks was my gun barrel must have been bent :lol:
West Point Duck
Newb

Postby cut_un » Sun Sep 01, 2013 7:59 am

:welcome: West Point..... as you have noticed,all kinds of folks are called duck hunters, but at the end of the day....just you and the ducks so enjoy our sport,what VA has to offer! ENJOY the Journey :beer:
Big Al's" Take 'Em" Silhouettes Pro Staff

Team Chasin' Feathers
Eastern Shore Rod & Gun Club
Share your passion, take a kid hunting!
cut_un
hunter

Postby West Point Duck » Mon Sep 02, 2013 5:34 am

Thanks and hope everyone has a good season. Ducks or no ducks it beats a day around the house with the wife.
West Point Duck
Newb

Postby kahunna » Thu Sep 05, 2013 7:55 am

kahunna
hunter

Postby hnt300 » Thu Sep 05, 2013 3:21 pm

The problem with new duck hunters is:

#1 they have never pushed a boat several hundred yards in the marsh to kill 1 teal
#2 spent countless hours and lots of money building blinds to have them taken from you , due to stupid blind laws.
#3 breaking ice for hours with leaking waders freezing your azz off for 2 Blue Bills
#3questioning why the hell you are hunting in the worst weather possible and wondering if you will make it back!
#4 they have never prayed for high tide to get the boat out of the mud.
#5 They bring a friend that you want to drown the first 15 min of a hunt.

Lets face it Duck hunters lie to wive's, bosses, other duck hunters to enjoy the short season we have.
Duck hunters i know are tough men and take this obsession very seriously.
So dont be thin skinned and half azz this sport!
hnt300
hunter

Postby :-) » Thu Sep 05, 2013 3:54 pm

hnt300 wrote:The problem with new duck hunters is:

#1 they have never pushed a boat several hundred yards in the marsh to kill 1 teal
#2 spent countless hours and lots of money building blinds to have them taken from you , due to stupid blind laws.
#3 breaking ice for hours with leaking waders freezing your azz off for 2 Blue Bills
#3questioning why the hell you are hunting in the worst weather possible and wondering if you will make it back!
#4 they have never prayed for high tide to get the boat out of the mud.
#5 They bring a friend that you want to drown the first 15 min of a hunt.

Lets face it Duck hunters lie to wive's, bosses, other duck hunters to enjoy the short season we have.
Duck hunters i know are tough men and take this obsession very seriously.
So dont be thin skinned and half azz this sport!

6. You'd think they were at an air show watching the duck, and can't figure out why the duck won't come in.

7. They sound like a 2 yr old blowing a call...to be nice you let them blow the whistle.

8. They shoot the poor single that lands in the decoys while you're working a big flock of mallards overhead.

9. They tell every Tom, **** , Harry at the boat ramp about the new spot you just found.

10. They shoot a hole in the side of your truck while unloading their gun that you told them to unload before leaving the blind.

All the above are true story's, and number 10 happened a couple years ago at a busy ramp. 3 game wardens were there checking people...it went off inside the truck, and was muffled enough that nobody heard it.

I've enjoyed hunting with new people...it give me good stories to tell.
:-)
hunter

Previous

Return to Virginia Duck Hunting