I sent this to firstname.lastname@example.org
Dear Mr. Anderson,
Was your article on Jeff Foiles aided by their PR guy? I've never read a more blatant attempt to whitewash another man's troubled past. I will attempt to correct some of your mistakes below.
1. "Foiles, 56, of Pleasant Hill, Ill., was recently released after serving a 13-month sentence for violating two relatively minor duck hunting regulations (both misdemeanors), including exceeding his bag limit." Really? In your next paragraph it says he cut a deal because he was indicted on 23 felonies. What were they? You never say. Would it matter to you if one of them was shooting at geese in a city park with an air rifle to collect their bands? Or if another one was Jeff torturing a wounded animal on camera?
2. "But say this about him: He’s straight up about what he’s done." Really because in the paragraph before this you quote him as saying, "“I was guilty of what I pled guilty to. I was not guilty of 23 felonies.’’ That doesn't sound like someone being straight up about what they've done! Remember most of the 23 felonies he was indicted on had video evidence. He pled guilty because he was guilty.
3. "Foiles’ big mistake leading up to his arrest was portraying himself in waterfowl hunting videos as a highly efficient duck and goose killer." No his big mistake was shooting over the limit, filming himself torturing wildlife and shooting at geese in a city park with an air rifle. Let's not try and cover up the facts ok?
4. "Add to those the professional waterfowl biologists whose degrees are little more than fronts for duck- and goose- killing obsessions, professional waterfowl managers who with a straight face say flooded corn isn’t baiting, wealthy guys who shoot from one end of the flyway to the other, and, of course, outdoor writers who swap publicity for access, and pretty soon everyone, or most everyone, can rightly call a glass house a home." Seriously? Waterfowl managers are the enemy now? Wealthy guys who hunt legally and contribute millions of dollars to state programs are evil? There is a big difference between these people and a guy who was indicted on 23 felonies.
5. "Pausing, and scanning the vast product display tent he and his company have at Game Fair, Foiles added: “Isn’t this giving back?" NO! Are you an idiot? Giving back means taking money out of your company's pocket to aid in conservation, etc... Setting up a booth at a Game Fair to sell your products is NOT giving back. Why do you give him a pass here??
Dennis your reporting is some of the worst I've ever witnessed. And that is saying something. Where are the interviews with Foile's detractors? Where is the other side of the story? All you do here is promote a felon. Good work. Your editors must be so proud.