Virginia Teal

For information on local hunting and meet other hunters here in the Virginia duck hunting forum.

Moderators: swampbilly 1980, Ichabod97, callncut, fowl mouth

Virginia Teal

Postby RVAhunter » Tue Aug 27, 2013 12:52 pm

What kind of habitat do the Teal in Virginia like. Never hunted teal and kind of looking for a place to start from. Not asking for any honey holes just some general habitats that they like to hang around in.
RVAhunter
hunter

Re: Virginia Teal

Postby top o va » Tue Aug 27, 2013 1:09 pm

Typically you will find them in habitats that are saturated with water, either permanently or seasonally, such that it takes on the characteristics of a distinct ecosystem. Primarily, the factor that distinguishes these habitats are the characteristic vegetation that is adapted to its unique soil conditions: Teal are usually found in wetlands that consist primarily of hydric soil, which supports aquatic plants.
top o va
hunter

Postby gooosehunter » Tue Aug 27, 2013 1:36 pm

That was funny!

You will find them by the thousands on any marsh on the eastern shore. You may want to visit the DGIF website for more specific public hunting land. Just watch out for the wood ducks. The CPO's are out in force checking your birds. Good luck.
Cheers
Dave

Big Iron's new best friend. If anyone wants an 8x10 autographed glossy picture of us together, just let us know.
I'm thinking about starting another chapter of Northern VA Delta Waterfail with my best friends up here.
gooosehunter
hunter

Postby flint4045 » Tue Aug 27, 2013 3:46 pm

Most any place a mallard would be.
I am getting ready to start scouting myself. Any one been seeing any yet?
Wanted to take a boat ride this afternoon but storms are keeping me in.
flint4045
hunter

Postby adustydawg2 » Tue Aug 27, 2013 10:46 pm

Several hundred teal on the retention ponds at the intersection of rt 28 and 234. Some gaddies mixed in.
adustydawg2
hunter

Postby swampbilly 1980 » Wed Aug 28, 2013 5:20 am

top o va wrote:Typically you will find them in habitats that are saturated with water, either permanently or seasonally, such that it takes on the characteristics of a distinct ecosystem. Primarily, the factor that distinguishes these habitats are the characteristic vegetation that is adapted to its unique soil conditions: Teal are usually found in wetlands that consist primarily of hydric soil, which supports aquatic plants.

Once they cross state lines and are no longer "Virginia Teal" it's a different story :wink: :yes:
Swampbilly1980- I got a feeva',..and the only cure is more Mergansers and face paint.
swampbilly 1980
Forum & State Moderator

Postby flint4045 » Wed Aug 28, 2013 6:36 am

adustydawg2 wrote:Several hundred teal on the retention ponds at the intersection of rt 28 and 234. Some gaddies mixed in.

I have no Idea where those roads are????
Can you post google earth pictures or gps coordinates?

Seriously, I was just wondering if any have migrated down yet...
flint4045
hunter

Postby Have Gun Will Travel » Wed Aug 28, 2013 12:13 pm

gooosehunter wrote:That was funny!

You will find them by the thousands on any marsh on the eastern shore. You may want to visit the DGIF website for more specific public hunting land. Just watch out for the wood ducks. The CPO's are out in force checking your birds. Good luck.

Dont you have a phone call to make? :lol3: I hope everyone comes and hunts teal early or ducks later on here on the shore. Maybe then everyone will see just how crappy the hunting is here for the most part. No different than other places in VA. Just all about timing. Now Back Bay....thats the place to be.
adustydawg2 wrote: maybe, just maybe, if you held your mouth right and prayed a little, you might get a 1 day invite before the end of the season. :eek: :hammer: Just a possibility. :bow: Send me a pm. :hi:
Have Gun Will Travel
hunter

Postby swampbilly 1980 » Wed Aug 28, 2013 12:15 pm

Have Gun Will Travel wrote:

Dont you have a phone call to make? :lol3: I hope everyone comes and hunts teal early or ducks later on here on the shore. Maybe then everyone will see just how crappy the hunting is here for the most part. No different than other places in VA. Just all about timing. Now Back Bay....thats the place to be.

:yes: -
Bufflehead!
Swampbilly1980- I got a feeva',..and the only cure is more Mergansers and face paint.
swampbilly 1980
Forum & State Moderator

Postby gooosehunter » Wed Aug 28, 2013 12:40 pm

Nope, Back Bay is off limits to all hunters except me. I made a phone call and the DGIF and the general assembly is rushing to meet and pass a law which will only allow me to use the bay. (and my guest). It also states, anyone who takes my name in vain shall be tarred and feathered and used as a traveling decoy for the 2013/14 season.
Cheers
Dave

Big Iron's new best friend. If anyone wants an 8x10 autographed glossy picture of us together, just let us know.
I'm thinking about starting another chapter of Northern VA Delta Waterfail with my best friends up here.
gooosehunter
hunter

Postby lbhansford » Wed Aug 28, 2013 2:22 pm

gooosehunter wrote:Nope, Back Bay is off limits to all hunters except me. I made a phone call and the DGIF and the general assembly is rushing to meet and pass a law which will only allow me to use the bay. (and my guest). It also states, anyone who takes my name in vain shall be tarred and feathered and used as a traveling decoy for the 2013/14 season.

i would happily volunteer for the tar and feathering as long as you ship me up and down the Mississippi flyway..

if it were the atlantic i would be the only thing with feathers passing thru VA
lbhansford
hunter

Postby gooosehunter » Wed Aug 28, 2013 2:39 pm

wrong...I saw a flock of merganser once, but someone on the VA/NC line shot them all.
Cheers
Dave

gooosehunter
hunter

Postby bowhunter1212 » Wed Aug 28, 2013 3:19 pm

Put out at the camp ground and go to stake 9 or 11 .Goose can you get them to up the cormorant limit. :help:
bowhunter1212
hunter

Postby imaduckin up north » Wed Aug 28, 2013 6:42 pm

THERE AINT NO DUCKS ON THE EASTERN SHORE
,IS IT DUCK SEASON YET
THERE AINT NO DUCKS IN VA, ***** sporting goods told me so
you can educate ignorance
you can medicate crazy
but you cant fix stupid
imaduckin up north
hunter

Postby flint4045 » Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:31 pm

imaduckin up north wrote:

If there aint no ducks on the shore? What do yall do with a all that corn purdue takes over there?
flint4045
hunter

Postby Have Gun Will Travel » Thu Aug 29, 2013 6:20 am

flint4045 wrote:
imaduckin up north wrote:

If there aint no ducks on the shore? What do yall do with a all that corn purdue takes over there?

Chicken feed of course. However we do hunt the chickens that fall off the trucks.

swampbilly 1980 wrote:[:yes: -
Bufflehead!

Easy man. Dont give away the best kept secret we DO have. :lol3:
adustydawg2 wrote: maybe, just maybe, if you held your mouth right and prayed a little, you might get a 1 day invite before the end of the season. :eek: :hammer: Just a possibility. :bow: Send me a pm. :hi:
Have Gun Will Travel
hunter

Postby gooosehunter » Thu Aug 29, 2013 6:39 am

CHICKEN HUNTER! Buckauck!!! (Name that movie. except it's not Hunter)
Cheers
Dave

gooosehunter
hunter

Postby Have Gun Will Travel » Thu Aug 29, 2013 7:53 am

Farva's #1!!!!!! Farva's #1!!!!!!!!
Have Gun Will Travel
hunter

Postby RVAhunter » Thu Aug 29, 2013 8:01 am

thanks for the help guys! not sure how a teal post worked its way around to super troopers but it was entertaining for sure. thanks again guys
RVAhunter
hunter

Postby Have Gun Will Travel » Thu Aug 29, 2013 8:10 am

RVAhunter wrote: not sure how a teal post worked its way around to super troopers

Its because the snoz berries taste like snoz berries.
Have Gun Will Travel
hunter

Postby gooosehunter » Thu Aug 29, 2013 12:45 pm

Because it has been a loooooong seven months between seasons. We are all just a bit nuts. Just dont make me call the DGIF and have them cancel the 2013/14 waterfowl season in VA . i'll do it, my hand is on the bat phone.
Cheers
Dave

gooosehunter
hunter

Postby high flyer » Thu Aug 29, 2013 3:54 pm

I'm freaking out man!
high flyer
hunter

Postby younggun1100 » Thu Aug 29, 2013 4:24 pm

So are beaver ponds a good place to hunt early season teal? Being careful not to shoot the wood ducks of course.
"For me its not about shooting birds. Its about everything leading up to that moment: finding places to hunt, building/brushing blinds, rigging decoys, practicing, scouting, waking up early, working hard, and hopefully seeing some waterfowl."
younggun1100
hunter

Postby DuckWarOutfitting » Thu Aug 29, 2013 6:11 pm

hahaha this is awesome. teal are waterfowl, so they like water. they are grouped with the puddle ducks, so be sure to look out for them in puddles. Good Huntin'
DuckWarOutfitting
hunter

Postby lbhansford » Fri Aug 30, 2013 7:34 am

high flyer wrote:I'm freaking out man!

you are freaking out MAN!
lbhansford
hunter

Next

Return to Virginia Duck Hunting