Duck Hunting Forum banner

Sucker Minnners, Lake Trout, Reeds, Doves

829 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  swampbilly 1980 
#1 ·
Headed off to Moomaw to catch Mr Big tonight, then back home this weekend to make some bundles, then Dove Hunting on Labor Day :hammer:

Swamp, could you go over Duck Physics or better yet Dove Physics for us. Its been a while and I'm afraid I wont know what to do when I hear the tender bittle whistles. Does a 20 guage kill birds like a 12 guage, ive hear people say so but theres just no way

#2 ·
Yes a 20ga., (although with an "8 gauge difference") , can definitely spoil a Doves' weekend when shouldered with an experienced set of eyeballs behind it. Pick your shots.

As "Dovephysics" will have it, the "National Average" of kill ratio to shots taken, is, (or used to be for the "Average Joe"), is 5 Dove per 25 shots fired.

Lets' examine the other 20 shots.
$20 bucks says you'll be looking at the gun on multiple occasions, (making sure the barrel isn't bent), and inspecting gun shells for deficiencies. You'll vow to "never buy those loads again", and announce to your buddies that your stigmatism's (in both eyes), are acting up again.

Then- you'll try 3 other chokes and come to the conclusion that perhaps they were "mis-identified" from the factory and they aren't what they say they are.

By the end of the hunt your dog will be well rested, ( because he quit marking 4 boxes of shells ago), and fell asleep at HEEL beside you during all the gunfire chaos, the cursing, (and boredom). At least some useful knowledge will have been obtained as to whether or not the dog is gunshy :wink:
Dove huntin' is great.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.