VA blind laws

For information on local hunting and meet other hunters here in the Virginia duck hunting forum.

Moderators: swampbilly 1980, Ichabod97, callncut, fowl mouth

VA blind laws

Postby RVAhunter » Thu Aug 29, 2013 7:55 am

ive been reading up on the blind laws east of 95 and I know I have to be 500 yards away from any blind but what constitutes a blind? Is a blind a tree with a blind plate nailed to it or does it have to be a constructed blind also does it have to be occupied for the 500 yards to apply?
RVAhunter
hunter

Re: VA blind laws

Postby RVAhunter » Thu Aug 29, 2013 8:04 am

I should specify I am not planning on building a blind or even hunting from a floating blind. I will probably be doing some walk in hunting or using a boat as transportation and building a blind on shore and was wondering how the laws would effect where I need to set up, ive heard blinds, and blind stakes are everywhere. Thank you guys
RVAhunter
hunter

Postby lbhansford » Thu Aug 29, 2013 8:04 am

depends on where you are,what kind of dog you have, if you prefer face paint over mask, if you shoot blackcloud, who you are, what your last name is, and how well you know THE man.... VA BLIND laws are in such a language that would confuse an English professor.

just make sure you have the answer to one question: What is the average airspeed velocity of an unlaiden swallow?

my take is it mustbe built to conceal a hunter or a boat so a tag on a tree or dock or a post are null and void.

read them and read them again until none of it makes sense and then at that point you will understand... :thumbsup:

Prepare for a ten page post of replies. This questions starts all kinds of fun debates on here every year righhhhhhtttt abbbbouuutttt noowwwww!
lbhansford
hunter

Postby RVAhunter » Thu Aug 29, 2013 8:18 am

yea glad im not the only one who was confused thanks for the help
RVAhunter
hunter

Postby imaduckin up north » Thu Aug 29, 2013 8:21 am

if you are goin to be a walkin hunter im assuming you are talking private land or WMAs in either case blind laws do not apply to you
,IS IT DUCK SEASON YET
THERE AINT NO DUCKS IN VA, ***** sporting goods told me so
you can educate ignorance
you can medicate crazy
but you cant fix stupid
imaduckin up north
hunter

Postby lbhansford » Thu Aug 29, 2013 8:35 am

that does still apply if you walk in and there is a blind within 500 yards andyou do not have a reparion blind to hunt from. from my understanding over the years, if i am hunting from a legal blind in December and you walk in on private property within 500yards you can not hunt from that spot. you can however build a reparion blind there the next year and screw me out of my non-reparion blind correct?

AM I Wrong?
lbhansford
hunter

Postby swampbilly 1980 » Thu Aug 29, 2013 8:50 am

lbhansford wrote:that does still apply if you walk in and there is a blind within 500 yards andyou do not have a reparion blind to hunt from. from my understanding over the years, if i am hunting from a legal blind in December and you walk in on private property within 500yards you can not hunt from that spot. you can however build a reparion blind there the next year and screw me out of my non-reparion blind correct?

AM I Wrong?

Wrong and Right :hi:
If you have written permission or verbal permission- (if it's not posted), to hunt a piece of property from the landowner, you can sit there all day and hunt using natural cover.
A landowner doesn't have to "let the world know" he hunts by building a blind, and he doesn't have to hunt out of a blind in order to hunt. But he can't tell you that YOU can't hunt when you're legal.

In other words-
You can't stop a landowner from huntin' his property whether he has a blind or not.
Swampbilly1980- I got a feeva',..and the only cure is more Mergansers and face paint.
swampbilly 1980
Forum & State Moderator

Postby lbhansford » Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:05 am

even if you have a blind and he does not? I thought you cannot hunt within 500 yards of a licensed blind?

The owners of riparian rights or their invitees shall not be required to obtain a stationary blind license when hunting waterfowl from such a blind located on the riparian owner's property. However, a stationary blind license shall be required in order to afford the riparian owners the protections provided by Virginia law.

Doesnt "not protected from VA Law" mean he would be in violation of the 500 yard rule?
Last edited by lbhansford on Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
lbhansford
hunter

Postby old1neck » Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:06 am

If you see a yellow blind license plate you can't hunt within a 500 yard radius of it... It would be do much easier if they explained this on Duck Dynasty.
What time is shooting time?
old1neck
hunter

Postby lbhansford » Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:08 am

old1neck wrote:If you see a yellow blind license plate you can't hunt within a 500 yard radius of it... It would be do much easier if they explained this on Duck Dynasty.

not true. If it is nailed to a plain old dock or a stake in the water on oh say Diascund creek then it is not a valid license and simply a waste of 23.00 dollars and a poor attempt to prevent hunting.
lbhansford
hunter

Postby LEWDOG » Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:11 am

A note should be added here that a tag on a tree is legal till Nov. 1ST .
imaduckin up north wrote:if you are goin to be a walkin hunter im assuming you are talking private land or WMAs in either case blind laws do not apply to you
Yep just like Paul Revere - One if by land (good to go) Two if by sea (#2 out of luck) . Blind laws are only hard to people that don't want to follow them b/c they always read between the lines and add something that isn't in black and white .
Occupied or Unoccupied Blinds

Hunters may not hunt within 500 yards of any licensed blind whether it is occupied or not.
Number 20 , you must have overlooked that one .

:smile: LD :wink:

Swampbilly is the winner .
A Market Hunter born 100 years to late
:)/\__________<*)((((>{
The hardest thing a duck hunter in Va. has to do is to Not read more into the blind laws then what is in black and white . Lewdog 1999
http://www.vawfa.org
LEWDOG
hunter

Postby swampbilly 1980 » Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:18 am

lbhansford wrote:even if you have a blind and he does not? I thought you cannot hunt within 500 yards of a licensed blind?

The owners of riparian rights or their invitees shall not be required to obtain a stationary blind license when hunting waterfowl from such a blind located on the riparian owner's property. However, a stationary blind license shall be required in order to afford the riparian owners the protections provided by Virginia law.

Doesnt "not protected from VA Law" mean he would be in violation of the 500 yard rule?

Yes and No.
Lemme' 'splain-
Yes as in- if you do not have a legally licensed blind. If you don't then you will NOT have the 500yd. protection under the statute-(the landowner) And he can still hunt out of it.

No as in-
If he wants to, he can stick a blind 50yds. away from yours ON HIS property if he wants to, as long as it's built, and licensed, (or not), within' the time frames provided, (as you've mentioned).
He doesn't have to license his blind, but if he doesn't there goes 500yd. protection.

You can't stop a landowner from huntin' his property- within 500yds. of you regardless,.. ain't never gonna' happen-- in our lifetime, or any other lifetime :wink:
:beer:
Swampbilly1980- I got a feeva',..and the only cure is more Mergansers and face paint.
swampbilly 1980
Forum & State Moderator

Postby old1neck » Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:22 am

Wow
old1neck
hunter

Postby swampbilly 1980 » Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:23 am

old1neck wrote:Wow

:lol3:
What! (?)
swampbilly 1980
Forum & State Moderator

Postby old1neck » Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:31 am

Post number #9 actually generated a response in #10 lol
old1neck
hunter

Postby swampbilly 1980 » Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:39 am

LEWDOG wrote:
Occupied or Unoccupied Blinds

Hunters-Excluding Landowners may not hunt within 500 yards of any licensed blind whether it is occupied or not.
Number 20 , you must have overlooked that one .

:smile: LD :wink:

Swampbilly is the winner .

Hey I FIFY Lew :wink: :yes:
:lol3:
swampbilly 1980
Forum & State Moderator

Postby lbhansford » Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:43 am

swampbilly 1980 wrote:
lbhansford wrote:even if you have a blind and he does not? I thought you cannot hunt within 500 yards of a licensed blind?

Yes and No.
Lemme' 'splain-
Yes as in- if you do not have a legally licensed blind. If you don't then you will NOT have the 500yd. protection under the statute-(the landowner) And he can still hunt out of it.

No as in-
If he wants to, he can stick a blind 50yds. away from yours ON HIS property if he wants to, as long as it's built, and licensed, (or not), within' the time frames provided, (as you've mentioned).
He doesn't have to license his blind, but if he doesn't there goes 500yd. protection.

You can't stop a landowner from huntin' his property- within 500yds. of you regardless,.. ain't never gonna' happen-- in our lifetime, or any other lifetime :wink:
:beer:

gotcha and that makes alot more sense. agree 100%
lbhansford
hunter

Postby lbhansford » Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:47 am

so if a huntclub on gordons creek wanted to shoot ducks off a dock on their property and there are blinds that they do not own everywhere around that dock, they can still throw out some deeks and start blasting according to that logic then right?

and if they did build a blind on said dock next July then all those other blinds would be void if they were not reparian?
lbhansford
hunter

Postby skydog » Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:57 am

lbhansford wrote:so if a huntclub on gordons creek wanted to shoot ducks off a dock on their property and there are blinds that they do not own everywhere around that dock, they can still throw out some deeks and start blasting according to that logic then right?

and if they did build a blind on said dock next July then all those other blinds would be void if they were not reparian?

Correct. If they were planning to duck hunt they should have licensed a riparian blind to give themselves the 500 yd protection, but they are still free to shoot birds form their shoreline either way.
skydog
hunter

Postby LEWDOG » Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:18 am

It always goes back to the Paul Revere thing for hunters , stuff that land owners do outside of the law is another problem in itself . I believe that blind laws work here on the big waters and break down at the 1500 mark from shore to shore (about the first bridge of any river . At that point I agree that many land owners become outlaws and try to use blind laws as posted signs . A fix could easily be made by DGIF giving the waterfowl hunter a way to point out a outlaw blind . All I can say is yellow paint in a balloon can hit the water side of a blind and a waterfowl blind hunter would remove and or cover it real fast like . The retried landowners that can afford waterfront look out over the water way more then towards their home or blind .

:grooving: I so love a Good blind law thread LD :clapping:
A Market Hunter born 100 years to late
:)/\__________<*)((((>{
The hardest thing a duck hunter in Va. has to do is to Not read more into the blind laws then what is in black and white . Lewdog 1999
http://www.vawfa.org
LEWDOG
hunter

Postby imaduckin up north » Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:37 am

lewdog has a woodie now. :lol:
,IS IT DUCK SEASON YET
THERE AINT NO DUCKS IN VA, ***** sporting goods told me so
you can educate ignorance
you can medicate crazy
but you cant fix stupid
imaduckin up north
hunter

Postby old1neck » Thu Aug 29, 2013 12:13 pm

Some of you should contact this person and see if they can help with reading comprehension.

http://richmond.craigslist.org/lss/3966985751.html

It's all there in the blind laws section of the regulation book, on the VDGIF website, and the LIS website.
old1neck
hunter

Postby lbhansford » Thu Aug 29, 2013 12:55 pm

lbhansford
hunter

Postby gooosehunter » Thu Aug 29, 2013 2:19 pm

I would turn it into a duck blind
Cheers
Dave

Big Iron's new best friend. If anyone wants an 8x10 autographed glossy picture of us together, just let us know.
I'm thinking about starting another chapter of Northern VA Delta Waterfail with my best friends up here.
gooosehunter
hunter

Postby NativeGaelGunna » Thu Aug 29, 2013 2:24 pm

They are what they are. vdgif.com should help. If you are form Richmond and have a computer you can read.

old1neck wrote:If you see a yellow blind license plate you can't hunt within a 500 yard radius of it... It would be do much easier if they explained this on Duck Dynasty.

Thats a good one haha. The whole tag a tree thing is rediculous yes. I know of many cypress trees I would like to stand under during duck season. Im sure there are many on every river or creek with cypress trees, in fact some of my best hunts ever have been standing under cypress trees (tag or no tag cypress trees are good duck blinds if they are big enough to hide under,thats a fact Jack!).
Consider this, several or one partners in group 1 who are landowners. Several or one landowner group 2. Their marshes are divided by creek. Group 1 has several stationary brushed boat hide tagged hunted blinds in between 375- 475 yards of group 2's one stationary Open Water boat hide brushed tagged hunted blind thats close to his shoreline and sort of in the middle of the triangle of the other three blinds but far enough away that it wont disrupt each others hunting based on years of hunting. They have been there for so long that when they were all built they stood on marsh but some of the marsh dissappeared, and only some or pretty much none of it can still be seen at low tide. Obviously there are landowner agreements out there that 3rd parties wouldn't be familiar with. Politics trump the law all day if you and the other dude own it and agree about whatever.

Another scenario, if someone tags a tree perhaps they are thinking about building a new blind there. If that tree is farther away from a tagged brushed boat hide hunted blind, then why worry about it, but its still stupid and a waste of money.

After NOV. 1 if there is a tag on a dock or tree it isnt real. Docks btw I would never worry about them. The state will take their money if they want to buy the tag, and if they want to waste shells on mergs they are just bored deer hunters educating every bird inthe air. I took an old blind tag that said 1989 the year I was born off an old rotting board in our marsh and nailed it to our cabin in the woods thats about the same as nailing one to a dock IMO. I dont like dummy blinds either. This same "dummy blind" (it was our blind) in our marsh with the rotting boards 50 yards away from where we moved it to the new blinds spot, I sawed off the old foundation 4x4s because it looked sloppy and I wanted there to be a natural spot there, and if I ever wanted to hunt there in ice I wouldnt make a slushy
Tanks Nayspahegh
NativeGaelGunna
hunter

Next

Return to Virginia Duck Hunting