building a pond

For information on local hunting and meet other hunters here in the Virginia duck hunting forum.

Moderators: swampbilly 1980, callncut, Ichabod97, fowl mouth

building a pond

Postby lbhansford » Fri Aug 30, 2013 12:42 pm

ANyone ever built a real deal pond before like an acre or 3?

looking at a nice piece of land. 25 acres middle of Virginia around kerr lake. Great habitat and owner spotted bears, quail, and deer frequently. Just needs some water. There is a small creek or "branch" on the property

trying to get an idea of cost.
lbhansford
hunter

Re: building a pond

Postby gooosehunter » Fri Aug 30, 2013 1:14 pm

Consult with the Army corps of Engineers. http://www.nao.usace.army.mil/Portals/3 ... mphlet.pdf
If you are going to dam up any water, they may have jurisdiction over the work.

We made several large impoundments in NC. :yes: They hold a few birds...If is is a wet fall, the rain water can fill them, but it takes several years for the conditions to be right for the duck to use it in great numbers.
BACK BAY/PUNGO LOCAL WANNABE
Back Bay Hazardous Sea Conditions Navigation Expert
Back Bay Entitlement & Anti Sunday hunting supporter
Moving to Front Royal, VA to be close to my friends
Don't Take My Blind Whiner/Complainer/Victim & Apparent Homo
gooosehunter
hunter

Postby lbhansford » Fri Aug 30, 2013 1:19 pm

thanks for the advice goose. How about you make that call for me and see if they will go ahead and do it as a favor for ya for me? that bat phone does go to the Corp to DOESNT IT?

on the real. Thats why i want to bite the bullet and go ahead and get the land now and start getting it right. i hear the corp is a nightmare to deal with for ponds and it instantly jacks prices up big time. Could eb wrong just hearsay from a friend of a friend kinda thing. what if i dug out a 3/4 acre five foot deep hole and lined it in clay and just pumped the water in once it had some rows of duck food growing? do impoundments require the corp as well?
lbhansford
hunter

Postby bowhunter1212 » Fri Aug 30, 2013 2:22 pm

The only time the corps get involved is
1 a stream or creek
2 hydric soil
Just because you build a pond is there is no guarantee that ducks will use it .
bowhunter1212
hunter

Postby lbhansford » Fri Aug 30, 2013 2:39 pm

bowhunter1212 wrote:The only time the corps get involved is
1 a stream or creek
2 hydric soil
Just because you build a pond is there is no guarantee that ducks will use it .

I agree on the ducks using it. It would be more for big game hunting but.... The area surrounding it has alot of ponds many of which look very ducky and if there is no water there i can GUARANTEE their wont be any ducks so gotta give it a go. Might just do it right and save up for the full scale pond so even if the ducks decide its not their bag, it will be a nice fishing hole for bass and catfish. or scrap the whole water idea and float hunt kerr.

"If you build it they will come"

never seen an impoundment within a few miles of a giant reservior that didnt hold ducks. Might take a few years to get them in there steady but i definitely think the woodies would be happy to come to the party. You very well could be right though. Those quackers are funny like that.
lbhansford
hunter

Postby bowhunter1212 » Fri Aug 30, 2013 3:19 pm

I have ponds that a duck won't sit in until trip back home in March and April..
bowhunter1212
hunter

Postby Undrcoverrednek » Fri Aug 30, 2013 3:23 pm

If I was going to buy a property for hunting and really wanted to be able to hunt ducks, I'd hunt the area before buying. I don't know that Kerr's red clay banks are really known as duck magnets.
swampbilly 1980 wrote:I'm a poor man, but I'd pay good money to taste some of that juicy white meat...
Undrcoverrednek
hunter

Postby bowhunter1212 » Fri Aug 30, 2013 3:27 pm

I will go one better red neck. If your going to buy a place to duck hunt don;t buy it in the atlantic flyway.

Do they sell those duck magnets at green top ?????
bowhunter1212
hunter

Postby Undrcoverrednek » Fri Aug 30, 2013 4:49 pm

bowhunter1212 wrote:I will go one better red neck. If your going to buy a place to duck hunt don;t buy it in the atlantic flyway.

Do they sell those duck magnets at green top ?????

I agree! Most people (including myself) aren't going to buy a property 20+ hours away just to kill ducks, though.

The area around Kerr is really nice, but the land is cheap out there for a reason. There is no job concentration in reasonable commuting distance, and a lot the areas do not perc for a conventional septic system, which substantially raises the cost of getting a decent shack up and running.

Also the bass tournaments are non-stop down there now. Plenty of real class acts in each one. I had one guy pull up to point I was fishing from shore at the campground and fish all around me and state how I was going to have to put up with the guys fishing for money all weekend :no: . He was about 10 ft out of range of my Pop-R. I tried like hell to accidentally put a ding in his motor cover. Satisfaction was received a few minutes later when I caught a keeper, made sure he saw it, and let it go.

As for building a pond, I don't know this to be fact, but I think that if you build a depression/impoundment (you don't need 5 ft for a duck hole) and line it with clay (if it's not already clay), I think you can pump water into it and that would not require the COE to get involved. That could be incorrect, but something you might check into.
swampbilly 1980 wrote:I'm a poor man, but I'd pay good money to taste some of that juicy white meat...
Undrcoverrednek
hunter

Postby Tracker Grizzley » Fri Aug 30, 2013 7:16 pm

We built a 5 acre pond 3 years ago. It was a wet area on the farm. Corp came in and rode the area. There was one group of cattails. Probably 20ft x 20ft. Since she saw that the pond was out of the question to them. We pulled every piece of information we could and finally got around the cattails. Basically had to buy it from the corp. It was a 2 year process and finally started building. It is a process but im glad we did it.

PS...Not a duck in it since we built it. hahahahaha Plenty of fish though!!!
Tracker Grizzley
hunter

Postby lbhansford » Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:26 am

thanks for the feedback. Did alot more research on the land and got the plat for for it. Not what i was really looking for after future investigation. Just wanted to get some input on building ponds as I would love to have a couple acre hole and piece of land for my now infant son to one day be able to hunt. I hunt pretty much everything and love fishing so a pond would always be worth it, even if it was just for catfish and bluegill and a smile on the little man's face down the road. thanks again for the info and hope you guys had a "BLAST" of an opener on doves and residents.
lbhansford
hunter

Postby Have Gun Will Travel » Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:45 am

go 3-4 acres with a deep end divided by a berm in the middle. Plant corn in the shallow end and pump water out of the deep end to flood it. Birds will come.
adustydawg2 wrote: maybe, just maybe, if you held your mouth right and prayed a little, you might get a 1 day invite before the end of the season. :eek: :hammer: Just a possibility. :bow: Send me a pm. :hi:
Have Gun Will Travel
hunter

Postby lbhansford » Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:59 am

that sounds like a solid idea right there!
lbhansford
hunter

Re: local hunt club's

Postby Clos » Fri Oct 11, 2013 11:24 am

Does anybody know of any local hunr clubs around Northern Virginia that has good waterfowling. any suggestions would be much appreciated.
Clos
Newb

Re: local hunt club's

Postby Clos » Fri Oct 11, 2013 11:26 am

Does anybody know of any local hunt clubs around Northern Virginia that has good waterfowling. any suggestions would be much appreciated.
Clos
Newb

Postby bay gunner » Fri Oct 11, 2013 12:23 pm

:lol:
bay gunner
hunter

Postby lbhansford » Fri Oct 11, 2013 12:32 pm

:lol: x2
lbhansford
hunter