Retriever Trainer Help!

For information on local hunting and meet other hunters here in the Virginia duck hunting forum.

Moderators: swampbilly 1980, fowl mouth, Ichabod97, callncut

Retriever Trainer Help!

Postby A5Gunner » Thu Sep 05, 2013 7:51 am

So I have this dog I am trying to train but I am just making too many mistakes and I don't have the resources like live birds that a lot of training programs require. Is there anybody in the Chesapeake - VB area that trains retrievers? I just wasnt a good hunting dog, not a field trial dog. Given her personality heavy handed methods probably won't work well with this dog. Any suggetions?

Thanks
You ain't right.......kinda touched in the head.
A5Gunner
hunter

Re: Retriever Trainer Help!

Postby swampbilly 1980 » Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:16 am

A-5, I must think somethin' of you, for I've done some homework for ya'.
You owe me now :lol3:
(Just kiddin').

Before you get on Craigslist need to tell you something-(so p.m. me before you do).

http://norfolk.craigslist.org/search/ss ... k=&maxAsk=

You don't HAVE to have birds in order to train, but it IS a good idea to have and keep birds in your pups training diet from time to time. It's good to strike a good balance between birds and bumpers.

Check out labman63 on this forum, he's a good dog man just south of ya' in N.C..
As far as your dawg-
If you're saying you've got a rather "soft dog" who you'd believe not to be a good candidate for Pressure Conditioning-(FF), then you're the one who would know that. However, a good set of proffessional eyeballs on your dog might not be a bad idea before you write off any methods of training that could render your dog a good dependable Gundog that's trained for your own utility.
Even non-force training methods offer up a certain amount of pressure whether it be indirect or direct.

Just so you know- most modern traditional training programs worth anything, (for Gundogs) are full of basic fundamentals that even a Field Trial dog would be subjected to. It's when you get to that crossroad in training whether one decides to crank things up to a higher level, or continue on with what you've got.
It's all about goals.
Swampbilly1980- I got a feeva',..and the only cure is more Mergansers and face paint.
swampbilly 1980
Forum & State Moderator

Postby gooosehunter » Thu Sep 05, 2013 2:09 pm

You need 2 helpers at 1st.
Take the dog to a wide open field, have one helper stand about 30 yards away with a bumper. And the other helper about 100 yards away with a 22 or .209 primer blank pistol.

Hold the pup, have helper number 1 yell "Hey Hey" and toss the bird, no shot from helper #2 at this time. Let pup retrieve the bird. Cool beans, the pup is having fun.

Now pup comes back and is ready for another retrieve (if he's not you have a bigger problem than gunshyness). This time while you have qa hold of him have helper #1 yell "Hey Hey" then helper # 2 fires a shot (pointed down range) then hepler 1 tosses the bird. Hesitate a second for the dog to lock in on the bird, then let him get it.

Repeat this only 1 more time. Then you are done for the day. You always want to quit with the dog wanting more.

The next day start off the same way, but eliminate the no shot sequence.
Do 2 with a shot from 100 yards the 1 with a shot from 75. That's day 2.
Day 3 start at 75 and move in to 50. Day three start at 50 and then have the thrower do the shooting from his position at 30 yards.

By now he is not only getting accustomed to the sound of the gun, now he is anticipating it because it has become a cue that tells him he is going to get to retrieve a bird. And any dog worth training lives for that above all else.
From now on every time he heres bang he looks for a bird falling.
Cheers
Dave
gooosehunter
hunter

Postby Mudgun » Fri Sep 06, 2013 4:47 am

MORE!!! Or will this only be a weekly installation? Cliffhanger?
NOW WITH MORE 100% MORE VITRIOLIC SARCASM!!!
Mudgun
hunter

Postby lbhansford » Fri Sep 06, 2013 7:21 am

I like to use frozen ducks to do off season training instead of bumpers... Mergansers work great for this bc if your dog will bring you back a merg, you know he loves you. Just make sure to give your pooch a greenie afterwards or their breath will smell like fish oil for weeks :lol3: :lol3: :lol3:
lbhansford
hunter

Postby Duck Diver » Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:11 pm

Hurm, you just made me realize I have a reason to shoot Mergansers this year!
Duck Diver
hunter

Return to Virginia Duck Hunting