NEW TO VIRGINIA/THE SPORT ? CHECK-IN HERE!

For information on local hunting and meet other hunters here in the Virginia duck hunting forum.

Moderators: swampbilly 1980, Ichabod97, callncut, fowl mouth

NEW TO VIRGINIA/THE SPORT ? CHECK-IN HERE!

Postby callncut » Thu Sep 05, 2013 12:28 pm

We have had alot of new hunters/new to Virginia topics lately, So the other mods and myself have decided to create a sticky dedicated just for this. We will be merging all the topics pertaining to this into this thread. Don't be offended if your post is moved to this topic, it's here to keep the clutter down.

First, welcome to sport/Virginia :welcome: . Please check the blind laws to help keep yourself out of a bind with disgruntled blind owners or Mr. Green Jeans. They can be found here

If your asking for people to tell you where to hunt , it's likely you will get a response telling you " do your homework and put in your time and money scouting for birds like the rest of us". For the guys that have been here, let me know if there is anything you feel needs to be added and I will do my best.
callncut
Super Moderator

Re: NEW TO VIRGINIA/THE SPORT ? CHECK-IN HERE!

Postby pesankaj » Thu Sep 05, 2013 4:28 pm

Appreciate the new topic. Again, new to Virginia if anyone is looking for someone to fill a blind or boat spot Id be more than grateful to fill the spot. Also, any advice youd have for me being new to Virginia would be greatly appreciated. Good luck this season
pesankaj
Newb

Postby lbhansford » Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:17 am

pesankaj wrote:Appreciate the new topic. Again, new to Virginia if anyone is looking for someone to fill a blind or boat spot Id be more than grateful to fill the spot. Also, any advice youd have for me being new to Virginia would be greatly appreciated. Good luck this season

where ya located? any experience duck hunting?
lbhansford
hunter

Postby pesankaj » Tue Sep 10, 2013 6:52 am

Im located in Ashburn. I just moved here last month from Pittsburgh for a teaching position. I started duck hunting 2 years ago and love it. Still trying to get good with the calling, but had to leave my decoys in Pittsburgh because there is just no room for them in a one bedroom apt. I'm just looking to get out and do some hunting, I'm dying getting pictures from back home!
pesankaj
Newb

Postby E Tilton » Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:49 pm

Not new to Virginia or duck hunting, but I may as well be. I moved to Arlington about a year and a half ago and haven't touched my shotgun since. I'm totally lost up here and don't have the space for a boat. Prior to this, I did a lot of jump shooting from a kayak on the James and New rivers and would hunt SML once or twice a year as well. To anyone who can help put me on some birds this season in the NOVA area, beer and gas are definitely on me.
E Tilton
hunter

Postby USCGKal » Fri Sep 27, 2013 9:01 pm

I have been back in the area for a year, grew up in Yorktown, joined the Coast Guard. Was stationed in Texas for the last 4 years, got hooked on duck hunting. Now I am back, living in Poquoson. Things are quite different here than TX, seems the hunting spots are more secretive, not much public land, and the known areas are not able to walk in. My co-worker had a mud boat and we pretty much hunted every available day we were not on duty. I am now here, no boat, and have not met any hunters.
I will also throw out that if anyone has open seats in a blind, boat, or spot, I can contribute to gas, bring snacks, and you can have my birds.
USCGKal
hunter

Postby lbhansford » Tue Oct 08, 2013 11:05 am

welcome Kal!!!
lbhansford
hunter

Postby coastiehunter » Sun Oct 13, 2013 11:55 am

New to Virginia not new to the sport. Looking for guys to sea duck and diver hunt with. I have the boat, decoys and some spots. I'm in Gloucester CH. If interested let me know.
coastiehunter
hunter

Postby callncut » Sun Oct 13, 2013 5:21 pm

Welcome to the board coastie! Good luck this season!
callncut
Super Moderator

Postby dwm91 » Wed Oct 16, 2013 4:49 pm

Hello all, thanks for the topic. I have lived in VA on and off most of my childhood (military dad), but I am new to duck hunting. I understand its a sport that can be hard to get into, but its something I've always wanted to do and would love to get into. On that note, if anybody has any advice for a new hunter, or any open spots in a boat or blind it would be much appreciated. If somebody does have an extra spot, I would appreciate the opportunity to learn a great sport! Thanks.
-Dave
dwm91
Newb

Postby recoil slinger » Sun Oct 20, 2013 5:15 pm

dwm91 wrote:Hello all, thanks for the topic. I have lived in VA on and off most of my childhood (military dad), but I am new to duck hunting. I understand its a sport that can be hard to get into, but its something I've always wanted to do and would love to get into. On that note, if anybody has any advice for a new hunter, or any open spots in a boat or blind it would be much appreciated. If somebody does have an extra spot, I would appreciate the opportunity to learn a great sport! Thanks.
-Dave

so you just decided to duck hunt huh
Boy, duck hunting is for fags and pirates. And I know your no pirate
vice president of back bay blind retrieval association.
IM YOUR HUCKLEBERRY
recoil slinger
hunter

Postby tommydailey05 » Mon Oct 21, 2013 12:52 pm

Hello,

I just recently PCD'd here from North Carolina. I am looking to meet some fellow waterfowl hunters in the area. I am an avid hunter but it seems here you have to have a ton of money to hunt waterfowl around here or know the area very well. I have been in the area for about 2 months and scouted alot of places. Everywhere i have scouted it turns out there is a blind already there and i cant hunt it. How does a person find somewhere to hunt around here without making another person mad? I have decoys, about 20 calls (my best friend is Hunter Grounds) and i know how to use them. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks for taking the time to help a fellow waterfowler out.

P.S- Im not looking for your secret spots either. Its just odd that al this land is locked up where noone can hunt. My family owns 14K acres in Illinois and i have never had any issues hunting before till i come to VA. Thanks again.

Tommy
tommydailey05
Newb

Postby skydog » Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:50 pm

14K acres in Illionois and you like to hunt?? What are you doing in NoVa brotha? :huh:

But in all seriousness, your best best might be to do some swap hunts with waterfowlers in your neck of the woods who might like the opporunity to go up to Illionois to tag a trophy buck. Just a thought...good luck to you this season :thumbsup:
skydog
hunter

Postby Big Iron » Mon Nov 04, 2013 5:25 pm

Not new to VA or to duck hunting, been lurking for a while and finally decided to join up.

I like
Brunettes
Wool
Brownings
Divers
Foamers (alright, maybe a few plastics)
Black dogs
Outboards

Looking forward to getting the season going.
Big Iron
hunter

Postby recoil slinger » Fri Nov 08, 2013 5:10 pm

Big Iron wrote:Not new to VA or to duck hunting, been lurking for a while and finally decided to join up.

I like
Brunettes
Wool
Brownings
Divers
Foamers (alright, maybe a few plastics)
Black dogs
Outboards

Looking forward to getting the season going.

where you from
Boy, duck hunting is for fags and pirates. And I know your no pirate
vice president of back bay blind retrieval association.
IM YOUR HUCKLEBERRY
recoil slinger
hunter

Postby Big Iron » Sat Nov 09, 2013 5:25 am

Down south.
Big Iron
hunter

Postby avwalker » Wed Nov 13, 2013 2:00 pm

I'm new to the forum, and let's just say I'm "renewed" to the sport. I grew up mostly in Mathews County and hunted when I was a teenager, but gave it up for years. Now I'm 32 and getting back into hunting, and since I live in Richmond, I don't know many people who hunt anymore. I deer hunted last year, but duck hunting was always my passion, and I think I've caught the bug again.

My dad grew up duck hunting the New River in Giles County and when I was a little boy I vividly remember the smell of epoxy emanating from the basement when he built his first hand-made duck boat. That boat is long gone, and even though we meandered our way around the state until we wound up in Mathews, much of his other duck gear was still in storage. I went to home last weekend and picked up all his old decoys, weights, blind material, and an old Columbia Gore-Tex marsh camo jacket from the 80's that's just as cozy as it was when it I used to borrow it as a 15 year old and the sleeves went to my fingertips. The last thing he gave me, almost in tears, was a little DU satchel that had obviously been with him on every hunt since he got it. He told me, "whatever you do, don't lose this".

So I've got a warm jacket, three 8'x10' blind cloths, a shotgun, a couple boxes of Kent Fasteel, 6 geese, a mixed dozen or so woodies, mallards, and pintails, and a bright red Mad River canoe to let all the ducks know to steer clear of me (and unfortunately i've heard polyethylene ain't easy to paint).

I used to hunt on a doctor's land in Mathews, right on the Mobjack Bay, and I'm not sure if I can get permission again, or if I care to drive that far each time I want to go. I've been thinking about trying places our closer to Richmond. It seems the blind restrictions are pretty intense east of 95, so I'll probably be scouting out western WMA's like Hardware River and Powhatan. My buddy is interested in joining me as well, and I borrowed a shotgun for my dad for him to use.

Still need to get some calls, learn how to use them (who the heck knows how many ducks I scared off when I was a teenager with that darn call). Might build some stabilizers for the canoe so we don't wind up frozen to death in a river somewhere.

The sheer number of people complaining about the blind laws and trying to find out where they can legally hunt has got me thinking of an idea.... If VDGIF can give info of blind license holders (or just the location of the blinds) through the Freedom of Information Act, what if there was map that showed you a location of every registered blind and showed a 500yd circle around each one to show you where you couldn't (and therefore possible could) hunt? I'm a database developer by trade, and learning other types of programming in school, so it might make for a fun project.

Anyways, I'm sure I'll be posting more on here to ask some basic questions, and look forward to contributing what I can.

Sincerely,

Aaron
avwalker
Newb

Postby Cashamus » Wed Nov 13, 2013 5:58 pm

New to Spotsylvania VA and lived in Virginia for the last 25 years..Duck hunted last year and it was my first and I am hooked… Looking forward to meeting some people on the board and learn how to improve on my hunting skills…

Woodys
Mallards
Browning
Ford
And of course Chocolate and Red Fox Labs
Cashamus
Newb

Postby GunnerMB » Thu Nov 28, 2013 4:04 pm

Howdy everyone and Happy Thanksgiving. Just joined this site and look forward to learning from everyone. I just retired from the USMC after 30+ years of service. Was an infantryman my entire career. I live in Stafford, VA just off of Marine Corps Base Quantico. I grew up duck and goose hunting with my father in the Great State of Tennessee. I have a 17 year old daughter that is hooked on the woods and water and loves hunting. Now that Im retired, I plan on spending as much time with her as I can in either a deer stand or duck blind. We mostly hunt on Quantico but want to start hunting more off base.
GunnerMB
Newb

Postby Chrisspike » Sat Nov 30, 2013 9:02 pm

Hey, new to water fowling, but not hunting or VA. Up in fairfax hunting the Belvoir blinds. Thanks for all the info so far.
Chrisspike
Newb

Postby N2hunt » Tue Dec 03, 2013 9:52 am

Hey guys, not new to Virginia or hunting in general but I am new to hunting waterfowl. Hopefully I can find some places to start hunting and learn some tips on this forum.
N2hunt
hunter

Postby fowl mouth » Tue Dec 03, 2013 10:23 am

:welcome: :welcome: :welcome:
Liberty '14-Broadcasting/Digital Media
DUCKHILL BEAU
What a man will do for a duck
#SOMEDUCKSINVA
fowl mouth
State Moderator

Postby Vtirgari » Wed Dec 04, 2013 10:18 am

Gents,
Hello to all! I am a native of VA (NOVA). I grew up fishing the waters of Occoquan and reservoirs in the area. I am not new to the forum. I have been on it for about a year now. Mostly I have been in the boat section of the forum getting ideas on my creek boat. I am not new to hunting, but fairly young when it comes to waterfowl. I started hunting birds in 04' mostly upland on a preserve and waterfowl using various guide services. But, as I became more knowledgeable on VA and MD blind laws and general season dates I started exploring my options more. I am now an independent hunter and/or weekend warrior. Majority of my hunting is on the Quantico MCB or invites by some friends I have made over the years.

Black Ducks
Canvasbacks
Black Labs
Chevy Trucks
Suzuki Motorcycles
Browning, Remington & S&W
Hunting lite without all the fancy gear and big boats...
Vtirgari
hunter

Postby Mark F. Cheney » Mon Dec 16, 2013 8:23 pm

Gentlemen, I feel for you with your trespass and hunting access rights. I live in Utah with 100s of thousands of free access marsh.

If I may make a suggestion, Look into a small boat. It solves a mirade of access problems. Not all of them obviously, But enough to make a difference. I have been in the water fowl business for a long time and have seen how much fun per dollar spent that a small boat can give. Most duck hunters with a boat have a smaller boat.

Mark F. Cheney
utahmarshmotors.com on the Great Salt Lake marsh

801 721 3293
Mark F. Cheney
DHC Sponsor

Postby silenthunder » Sun Dec 29, 2013 7:00 pm

I have lived in Va all my life but I just went duck hunting for the first time last week and it had to be the best time I have had. I have been deer hunting but that was my first duck hunt. I have a small private lake in Suffolk that I can hunt but other than that I'm not sure how to get started. The guy I hunted with was a cool navy guy I had just met who was here on leave but about to head out on deployment. Without knowing any experienced waterfowl hunters I am a bit lost about how to really get into this sport that seems to have gotten into me. I have been studying this forum and the DGIF book like I'm about to take a test but from there I'm not sure.
silenthunder
Newb

Next

Return to Virginia Duck Hunting