NEW TO VIRGINIA/THE SPORT ? CHECK-IN HERE!

For information on local hunting and meet other hunters here in the Virginia duck hunting forum.

Moderators: swampbilly 1980, Ichabod97, callncut, fowl mouth

Re: NEW TO VIRGINIA/THE SPORT ? CHECK-IN HERE!

Postby Quackhead157 » Sat Jan 04, 2014 5:14 pm

New to the board! :hi:
Quackhead157
Newb

Postby Flight2BCancelled » Thu Jan 23, 2014 9:33 pm

Not really new to VA been here about 10 years now .. Grew up in Florida . Started hunting about 4 years ago . New to duck hunting this season . Didn't start hunting ducks until the last 2 weeks of the season . But I'm officially hooked! Been hunting geese for few years and it's the same exciting transition into ducks . I live in Newport News area , and look forward to learning more of this sport .
Flight2BCancelled
hunter

Postby hugger73hatch » Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:27 am

Been in VA my whole life 35 years....hunting since I was a kid, but not seriously til I was probably about 19. More or less watched ducks and geese on our farm for the last couple of years...decided to hunt after a couple of life long friends asked me to join them this year and am officially hooked, they have been duck hunting for a while. Love the sport, love the birds, love the comradery.
hugger73hatch
hunter

Postby Elasich » Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:41 am

Ok so far this duck season has been a complete bust. I've been hunting on AP Hill and now everything is frozen. I can't stand the thought of spending the last day of the season in my living room, so if anyone can help I would really appreciate it. I live just south of Port Royal if anyone can help me out with somewhere to hunt ducks this evening or tomorrow I will be very thank full!
Eric
Elasich
Newb

Postby steelbull85 » Tue Feb 04, 2014 8:20 pm

Hey gents...new to the board. Been in VA for about 6 years now and just recently started duck/goose hunting and absolutely love it. Not surprised given that I grew up upland hunting in PA. Been hunting a small pond out in Fauquier County the past season, and had a little luck, but I think most were local birds. Getting a yellow lab this spring to help fuel my addiction to bird hunting. Really looking forward to the training process and eventually getting her (whenever that may be) into the field/blind. Hoping to eventually find some additional areas to hunt, but until then thought it would be nice to get some additional hunting tips from those much more experienced than me. :beer:
steelbull85
hunter

Postby lil_shawn1990 » Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:57 am

Hello All,
Got stationed in Virginia in April. New addict to the sport of waterfowling, done 4 hunts this year and got 1 black duck, 2 mallards, and 6 geese. Will be stocking up on gear over the summer adn training my dog. Should be set come next season. Kind of sucks that i didnt start til the end of season, but oh well, will be ready to blast some birds later!
lil_shawn1990
hunter

Postby heavyliftlegacy53d » Tue Mar 11, 2014 2:22 pm

Hello all. Active Duty Marine currently stationed in Kansas City. Relatively new to waterfowl hunting. Started making my own duck calls last year and have been addicted to making them since. Didn't get a whole lot of time to hunt this season here in Missouri as I was busy building duck calls. Got orders to MCB Quantico this summer and looking to find a good group of huntin buddies for the upcoming season in VA. Don't really know squat about the area as far as waterfowl hunting goes, but will be researchin the hell out of it. See you soon.

Tyson
heavyliftlegacy53d
Newb

Postby lil_shawn1990 » Tue Mar 11, 2014 5:23 pm

heavyliftlegacy53d wrote:Hello all. Active Duty Marine currently stationed in Kansas City. Relatively new to waterfowl hunting. Started making my own duck calls last year and have been addicted to making them since. Didn't get a whole lot of time to hunt this season here in Missouri as I was busy building duck calls. Got orders to MCB Quantico this summer and looking to find a good group of huntin buddies for the upcoming season in VA. Don't really know squat about the area as far as waterfowl hunting goes, but will be researchin the hell out of it. See you soon.

Tyson

Hey man. Shoot me a pm sometime. I'm a Marine on Quantico as well. We can talk duck haha.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk
lil_shawn1990
hunter

Postby Steven4est » Wed Mar 12, 2014 8:06 pm

Hello all, born and raised in poquoson and finally looking to do some duck hunting. My grandfather did alot of hunting when he was younger, but I never got a chance to go so I'm trying to learn as much as I can on here before I attempt to go this fall with a buddy who is also not very knowledgable. We are fishing experts, but not much on hunting. My first question is how to get permission to use a duck blind? Or am I better off just staying in my boat?
Steven4est
Newb

Postby lil_shawn1990 » Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:07 pm

Steven4est wrote:Hello all, born and raised in poquoson and finally looking to do some duck hunting. My grandfather did alot of hunting when he was younger, but I never got a chance to go so I'm trying to learn as much as I can on here before I attempt to go this fall with a buddy who is also not very knowledgable. We are fishing experts, but not much on hunting. My first question is how to get permission to use a duck blind? Or am I better off just staying in my boat?

haha man i hope the best for you and your bud. you may learn a few things from this site. However, if you are trying to find out how to get permission to use a blind, i dont think youll find an answer in this place. Alot of us here are looking for blinds as well. Get out and find landowners on the water and talk to them.
lil_shawn1990
hunter

Postby RTducks » Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:07 am

Hello all! I am originally from NoVa and lived there 22 years. Currently in the Army stationed in Kansas (which is pretty sweet for duck hunting!). I will be moving back to VA for some Army schooling down in the Petersburg area. My parents also live in the Fredricksburg area. I recently started duck hunting this past year and was hooked from day 1. I was wondering if anyone knew how the hunting was at Lake Anna, since it's 30 min from my folks. Looking to hunt there next year when I am in Virginia. Any advice/help is greatly appreciated. Most everything I know about duck hunting comes from self taught, watching youtube videos, and reading forums! Thanks!

-Bobby H
RTducks
Newb

Postby goosemaster2 » Mon May 05, 2014 6:12 pm

Hello all,
Not new to waterfowling or Virginia but new to site.
I just moved to Newport News from Richmond in the last year. The group I hunt with just lost our lease to a big money group. We had blinds for 15 years and it was over without a warning.
I am hoping to meet some new friends in the area and I am looking for any opportunities that may come open.
I have a fully rigged polarkraft 17' and a four rivers layout boat plus too many decoys. I can certainly share in this regard.
Hope to make some additonal hunting friends.
Jack
goosemaster2
Newb

Postby tealtime » Sun Jun 01, 2014 12:53 pm

Hope everyone on here is doing well. Been chasing ducks for over ten years but just moved to VA and this will be my first season here in this great state. Just relocated from Oklahoma where the public duck hunting was fantastic. Central flyway was great and Oklahoma's a hidden gem. Have hunted ducks quite a bit in eastern NC/MD as well prior to OK. I know the drill on asking about spots and specifics. I plan to put in the time and do the research myself. Just wanted to say hello and thanks for letting me be part of this forum.
tealtime
hunter

Postby SouthernVAHunter » Wed Jun 25, 2014 3:44 pm

New to the forum and duck hunting. I live in Wytheville, VA not really a hot bed for hunting ducks but they're some birds in the area. I would be interested in catching up with someone that lives close to me. I just bought a War Eagle boat and have my lab pup getting trained up for the upcoming season.
2014-2015 Season Counts:
Canada's- 4
Mallard's- 2
SouthernVAHunter
hunter

Postby Jhussell » Sat Jul 19, 2014 5:12 pm

Started duck hunting in Blacksburg last year with limited success. I am transitioning from deer/ turkey hunting. I have one year old lab is being trained. I am located in roanoke now and will probably be hunting SML some this year. If u have an open spot I would be glad to fill it. I will pay for gas and such. Not looking to steal spots, just looking for someone to hunt with. My hunting buddy from last year is having a baby and will likely be restricted on how much he gets to hunt. I am a medical student so I hunt primarily on the weekends.

Has anyone from that area had success in the Fairystone farm WML? I tried to do some scouting earlier in the summer, but didn't find to many promising spots.

Thanks everyone and good luck this season.
Jhussell
Newb

Postby ctbollman » Sun Aug 10, 2014 2:05 pm

Hey! I am from the south and have grown up upland hunting and doing some duck hunting as well. I am fairly new to the VA area and over the past year have had the opportunity to duck hunt several times with friends. Unfortunately none of my friends who I would hunt with live in the VA area and they are spread out around in the south. I am stranded up here with no one to hunt with. Duck hunting seems to be something that is relatively difficult to break into and seems to be something that is passed down. Unfortunately my grandfather and father both did not enjoy hunting and so I was only exposed to it when I could tag along on hunts with my friends parents, so my duck hunting knowledge is low... I am now enrolled in school slightly north of Roanoke and would love to find someone to duck hunt with or even someone to take me under their wing and teach me the intricacies of duck hunting. I have loved the time I've spent out on the water and I would really appreciate someone teaching me all of the basics. I would be more than willing to pay for gas and bring food/snacks/etc. I just want to get out on the water! Let me know if anyone can help me. Thanks!
ctbollman
Newb

Postby pothole hunter » Tue Aug 12, 2014 1:26 pm

Whats up guys im new to the sight been hunting pretty much all my life was raised in louisiana so had great duck hunting growing up my boy loves duck hunting to killed his first to birds last year wood duck drake and a mallard hen planning on adding more to his list this year this is a great sight have learned alot from reading yalls post
pothole hunter
hunter

Postby rcwIIIUA » Tue Aug 12, 2014 7:26 pm

New to Virginia but deffinately not new to duck hunting. Just moved here from Alabama due to my wife's military orders. Looking for possible hunting buddies. I have a 18 x 60 G3 and plenty of dekes and equip. Just looking for some buddies to shoot some birds with that may know Virginia a little better than me.

Robert
Sometimes it's not about the kill. Sometimes it's all about the hunt.
rcwIIIUA
Newb

Postby urmyboyblue86 » Tue Aug 26, 2014 12:16 pm

I am new to the site and looking for info on bodies of water to start my duck hunting adventures. I have lived in Virginia all my life and currently live in Ashburn (I am 27) and have hunted deer in Orange on my Uncles 30 acres of wooded property for 4 years now but just got into duck hunting the last year. I have a 14ft big jon with a 25hp Yamaha that i am interested in converting to a duck boat. I also just purchased a lay down ground blind for hunting fields. I own about 3 dozen Canadians, a dozen mallards, a dozen wood ducks, and 6 green winged teal (all purchased new/used in the last 6 months). I went to CF Phelps WMA last year and got into the Canadian geese hunting but am interested in learning about hunting on/over water... I have read about how to place decoys but am having trouble finding out legal places to hunt on the water in virginia... Can anyone give me some pointers of bodies of water to look into that are open to the public for waterfowl hunting? I don't mind going to them and scouting but info on where i could start that is within a 2 hour drive would be awesome. I would love to find some hunting buddies as well. Let me know and thank you everyone
urmyboyblue86
hunter

Postby stumpjumper1590 » Mon Sep 01, 2014 4:14 pm

Boom!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good" -- George Washington

2013-2014 Season Strap

3- Blue wing teal
stumpjumper1590
hunter

Postby va_quack_smacker » Mon Sep 08, 2014 4:39 pm

I've lived in virginia and duck hunted all my life. If anyone is around virginia beach or the eastern shore and would like to travel to the shore for some hunting just let me know.
va_quack_smacker
hunter

Postby Dbrucker13 » Sat Sep 20, 2014 2:09 pm

Just looking for some guys to possibly hunt with this season. Have all of my own gear but no boat. Grew up hunting shallow marshes and fields along Lake Erie. I have been waterfowling for close to 15 years now and these VA laws are down right confusing.
Dbrucker13
Newb

Postby apache2831 » Mon Sep 22, 2014 11:41 pm

Hello, I'm new in town. I was previously in ga for the military and was having a gentleman mentor me in the sport because of a post of mine of all the complaints of novice duck hunters but no one was showing them the ropes. Well in my second year I'm trying to continue to learn so here it is. I live in hampton and my boat should be running by duck season. If someone wants to take someone under there wing let me know. I should have at least one spot open in my boat. Don't be shy and let me know.
apache2831
Newb

Postby lbhansford » Tue Sep 23, 2014 2:31 pm

apache2831 wrote:Hello, I'm new in town. I was previously in ga for the military and was having a gentleman mentor me in the sport because of a post of mine of all the complaints of novice duck hunters but no one was showing them the ropes. Well in my second year I'm trying to continue to learn so here it is. I live in hampton and my boat should be running by duck season. If someone wants to take someone under there wing let me know. I should have at least one spot open in my boat. Don't be shy and let me know.

Take you under their wing but you only have one spot? What kinda boat you working with?
lbhansford
hunter

Postby apache2831 » Tue Sep 23, 2014 3:40 pm

It's a 16 ft ouachita Jon boat. It has a 25 hp 2 stroke yamaha. It's not as wide and as tall as I want but I'm gonna try and make it work. I bought a new lower unit and water pump for it. Just trying to get it set up and done right. Let me know if you have any advice.
apache2831
Newb

PreviousNext

Return to Virginia Duck Hunting