waterworks hunting

For information on local hunting and meet other hunters here in the Virginia duck hunting forum.

Moderators: swampbilly 1980, Ichabod97, callncut, fowl mouth

waterworks hunting

Postby lbhansford » Fri Sep 20, 2013 9:07 am

Anyone know why there is no hunting on waterworks' reserviors? I mean there is a ton of great spots at diascund, little creek, lee hall, and some of the others and i never see anyone out fishing them in the dead of winter. It would be a great additional source of revenue for them with ramp fees/passes and would open alot more public waterfowl spots. ANyone ever tried to get something done about it?
lbhansford
hunter

Re: waterworks hunting

Postby NOVAggie » Fri Sep 20, 2013 9:19 am

Who owns it?

Is there a sign that says no hunting?
I SUPPORT SUNDAY HUNTING IN VIRGINIA!!

imaduckin up north wrote:Lew starts twitchin when aggie walks in the room
NOVAggie
hunter

Postby NOVAggie » Fri Sep 20, 2013 9:23 am

Nevermind, found the answers.

Owned by Newport News and their regulations explicitly say NO HUNTING. You would have to take it up with the City to find out why.

http://www.nngov.com/waterworks/waterworks/downloads/diascundrulesandregulations

NOVAggie
hunter

Postby nickp9797 » Fri Sep 20, 2013 9:32 am

Same deal as in Suffolk, plenty of good lakes to hunt, but hunting is not allowed. The cities that own them won't allow it.
nickp9797
hunter

Postby gooosehunter » Fri Sep 20, 2013 9:34 am

I tired to get the City of Norfolk to let hunters on their lakes years ago. I even offered them an insane amount of money. No with a big !!!! was the answer. The hold tons of birds too.
Cheers
Dave

Big Iron's new best friend. If anyone wants an 8x10 autographed glossy picture of us together, just let us know.
I'm thinking about starting another chapter of Northern VA Delta Waterfail with my best friends up here.
gooosehunter
hunter

Postby lbhansford » Fri Sep 20, 2013 9:57 am

being a city municipality and that most already have ramps on them, its pretty ridiculous. And yes they all hold a ton of birds. did a little research and there are a TON of other reserviors in other states that allow hunting. Goooose.. come on man make a phone call for me up to capital hill and get this $hit fixed man. It really would open up incredible ammounts of huntable water. I could see if we still shot lead but they lost that argument when we were forced over to steel. Think a petition would do any good at all? anybody have any ideas? DGIF maybe? i know most gov. orgs are useless when it comes to actually fighting FOR hunters right and not ticketing them but has to be somebody to have a voice of reason for them. What about Delta or DU?
lbhansford
hunter

Postby lbhansford » Fri Sep 20, 2013 10:04 am

wow those rules straight up suck....

no rope swings, no swimming, no launching a trailer from your own yard adjacent to the lake.. What a bunch of tight wads... im may be reading between the lines but you might get whisked away if you are not blond haired and blued eyed never to be seen again....
lbhansford
hunter

Postby Have Gun Will Travel » Fri Sep 20, 2013 1:01 pm

lbhansford wrote:if you are not blond haired and blued eyed never to be seen again....

Im safe....who wants to hunt? :lol3:
adustydawg2 wrote: maybe, just maybe, if you held your mouth right and prayed a little, you might get a 1 day invite before the end of the season. :eek: :hammer: Just a possibility. :bow: Send me a pm. :hi:
Have Gun Will Travel
hunter

Postby Undrcoverrednek » Fri Sep 20, 2013 7:30 pm

I'm down for a goose hunt on Harwood's Mill :thumbsup:
swampbilly 1980 wrote:I'm a poor man, but I'd pay good money to taste some of that juicy white meat...
Undrcoverrednek
hunter

Postby swampbilly 1980 » Sat Sep 21, 2013 7:20 am

Undrcoverrednek wrote:I'm down for a goose hunt on Harwood's Mill :thumbsup:

Did it.
Long time ago-
That's why there's posted signs there now :yes: :lol3:
Swampbilly1980- I got a feeva',..and the only cure is more Mergansers and face paint.
swampbilly 1980
Forum & State Moderator

Postby kahunna » Sat Sep 21, 2013 8:54 am

You'll never be able to hunt the city/county reservoirs because of liability issues.
kahunna
hunter

Postby bowhunter1212 » Sat Sep 21, 2013 9:26 am

swampbilly 1980 wrote:
Undrcoverrednek wrote:I'm down for a goose hunt on Harwood's Mill :thumbsup:

Did it.
Long time ago-
That's why there's posted signs there now :yes: :lol3:

:grooving: There was a day Billy . Park at R&D Motel and walk down the hill. :beer:
bowhunter1212
hunter

Postby Percidae_Papermouth » Sat Sep 21, 2013 12:36 pm

Lots of winter fisherman, most fishing for crappie. Diascund LCR and all the Suffolk lakes. Last January there was huge rafts of ducks every morning on lake Meade. Must have been thousands, mostly ringnecks though. I went to the swamp this am, not a single blue wing but lots of woodducks! Two black ducks as well. Can't wait til oct
Percidae_Papermouth
hunter

Postby lbhansford » Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:28 am

so guys, you know how everyone said this hunting would never come about? Has anyone ever stopped to email the people responsible or try to get a change to happen? My guess would be no becuase I took the time to write a professional email to each individual starting at the city level all the way to the top, one by one and each letter personalized, not a cookie cutter email. I used valid points and voiced my concern even after i got the feeling from the posts it was a waste of time.

Welllllll........ today I received a call from our district wildlife biologist and guess what i lit a fire under someone. He received a call from the Director of DGIF who had my letter passed to him by our Lt Governor directly. Progress for this public access is being made and I will be a direct constituent for the program and working closely and attending meetings in regards to the matter in upcoming months with various officials. It will not happen overnight but i think it is going to happen. When you use key terms like "loss of potential revenue" or "leaving money on the table" people, politicians especially respond.

In the next month i am going to work on forming a non-profit called "waterfowler for Public Access" or something along those lines. I would love to get as many people involved as I (we) will be a voice for the public hunter.

I guess the moral is we as hunters need to get our voice out there and take the intiative send emails, attend meetings and try to get changes made. Sometimes the fight may already be playing out behind the scenes and us as citizens are the little xtra push or voice needed to tip that scale.. Lets make this happen guys. :beer:

:beer:
lbhansford
hunter

Postby gooosehunter » Thu Sep 26, 2013 12:21 pm

Fantastic news. In NC and several other locations, you can hunt reserviors.
Cheers
Dave

Big Iron's new best friend. If anyone wants an 8x10 autographed glossy picture of us together, just let us know.
I'm thinking about starting another chapter of Northern VA Delta Waterfail with my best friends up here.
gooosehunter
hunter

Postby lbhansford » Thu Sep 26, 2013 12:29 pm

Yep I looked at how many other states allow it and its not even funnny. We allow it in our own state if they are Corp of enginners owned like Kerr and gaston. Let me know what you hear come down the line on the bat phone dave :lol3:
lbhansford
hunter

Postby gooosehunter » Thu Sep 26, 2013 12:33 pm

I have their offices bugged. Will keep an ear out for you. I spoke with the City of Norfolk on this years ago and it was usually met with, "Are you nuts". I simply replied, "well yes".
Cheers
Dave

gooosehunter
hunter

Postby lbhansford » Thu Sep 26, 2013 12:53 pm

I think the current battleground will be NN WW so think it would be about Discund, little creek(toano one), Harwood Mills, ,waller mill, and lee hall. not many house on these so should be a no brainer. Apparently there are alot of ANTIs over at WW from my discussion with some folks.
lbhansford
hunter

Postby skydog » Thu Sep 26, 2013 1:03 pm

Great stuff, lb :thumbsup:

Happy to help the effort in any way I can, just let me know
skydog
hunter

Postby lbhansford » Thu Sep 26, 2013 1:12 pm

thanks skydog, will keep ya posted. Talking to my good friend who is on my DU committee and is a lawyer about what getting this non-profit started.
lbhansford
hunter

Postby gooosehunter » Thu Sep 26, 2013 2:53 pm

What ever I can do to assist too. Talk to the board of directors for the DGIF too.
Cheers
Dave

gooosehunter
hunter

Postby fowl mouth » Fri Sep 27, 2013 7:52 am

we owe you one lb, good stuff.
Liberty '14-Broadcasting/Digital Media
DUCKHILL BEAU
What a man will do for a duck
#SOMEDUCKSINVA
fowl mouth
State Moderator

Postby Have Gun Will Travel » Mon Sep 30, 2013 6:02 am

LB I have a friend of a friend who lives in Chesapeake and has been very involved in a similar org with an emphasis on public access for fishing. Be it boat ramps or walk in fishing spots. I know its a bit different than hunting but Im sure you could get some good ideas from him. I can get you his number if you'd like.
adustydawg2 wrote: maybe, just maybe, if you held your mouth right and prayed a little, you might get a 1 day invite before the end of the season. :eek: :hammer: Just a possibility. :bow: Send me a pm. :hi:
Have Gun Will Travel
hunter

Postby NOVAggie » Mon Sep 30, 2013 6:06 am

Have Gun Will Travel wrote:LB I have a friend of a friend who lives in Chesapeake and has been very involved in a similar org with an emphasis on public access for fishing. Be it boat ramps or walk in fishing spots. I know its a bit different than hunting but Im sure you could get some good ideas from him. I can get you his number if you'd like.

That's a good idea. Build on existing contacts and channels. Also need to really push your elected officials, both local and state.

NOVAggie
hunter

Postby lbhansford » Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:11 am

waiting until they have their meeting next month to feel out the situation and see where everything stands currently. then at that time if there needs to be a voice for the majority definitely will look at forming a NP. keep ya posted.
lbhansford
hunter

Next

Return to Virginia Duck Hunting