Well..ya got a game plan?

For information on local hunting and meet other hunters here in the Virginia duck hunting forum.

Moderators: swampbilly 1980, fowl mouth, callncut, Ichabod97

Well..ya got a game plan?

Postby cut_un » Tue Oct 01, 2013 4:47 pm

With the Oct. early duck just around the corner,yer ducks in a row....so to speak. Got a couple bag of blocks ready to go, a small bag set up with shallow of water swamp hunting( not many) and a larger mixed bag. a few Woodies, few teal and a couple pairs of mallards.... Not many of anything..... What are you guys up to...know you are getting ready to get after em! :grooving:
Big Al's" Take 'Em" Silhouettes Pro Staff

Team Chasin' Feathers
Eastern Shore Rod & Gun Club
Share your passion, take a kid hunting!
cut_un
hunter

Re: Well..ya got a game plan?

Postby high flyer » Tue Oct 01, 2013 6:01 pm

Getting on a plane bound for Canada. Best plan I could come up with.
high flyer
hunter

Postby mayhem96 » Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:55 pm

Can't wait to get after them next week! I have several decoys ready to rock, birds are hitting my spot (mainly Wood Ducks but hoping this chilly weather brings in some big ducks). Going to the spot on Saturday to scout, brush in the blind, and get everything ready!

As for Thursday morning, well, I will be here in NC trying to wack a few Wood Ducks and Geese :grooving: :grooving:

It should be a great early October season!
mayhem96
hunter

Postby skydog » Wed Oct 02, 2013 7:10 am

Getting ready...but still got chores to do as always. Rigged some decoys last night and hoping to get my blind brushed a bit in the next few days. Then just gotta decide where I'm going on what days and hoping work stays slow enough to allow me to be awol for a few days next week :grooving:
skydog
hunter

Postby Montauker » Wed Oct 02, 2013 11:56 am

Probably going to leave the house the night before so we can out on the river and claim a blind early before others arrive.
Montauker
hunter

Postby lbhansford » Wed Oct 02, 2013 1:24 pm

Montauker wrote:Probably going to leave the house the night before so we can out on the river and claim a blind early before others arrive.

claim a blind? hunt club i am guessing with the first come, first serve.
lbhansford
hunter

Postby fowl mouth » Wed Oct 02, 2013 1:26 pm

he means out west I was assuming
Liberty '14-Broadcasting/Digital Media
DUCKHILL BEAU
What a man will do for a duck
#SOMEDUCKSINVA
fowl mouth
State Moderator

Postby gooosehunter » Wed Oct 02, 2013 2:41 pm

I am headed out on Monday to sit in the marsh and claim a spot for later in the week. Several days sitting there watching the pattern. Seriously, several hunters spent the night in the marsh last year. I wonder if they will again this year. Seems to me the law reads (at the place I am referencing) you cannot be at the blind before 4 AM. I guess parking in front of the location at 8PM the night before is ok if you really read the law.
Pray for a cold front everyone. My sources to the far north are telling me there is a ton of birds staged and ready to push south. That will not occur for several weeks.
Cheers
Dave
gooosehunter
hunter

Postby high flyer » Wed Oct 02, 2013 5:48 pm

Pretty sure they did it some this teal season too from what I heard goose.
high flyer
hunter

Postby lbhansford » Thu Oct 03, 2013 8:23 am

pops is heading to canada tonight for 2 weeks. Sounds they they are right on time this year gooose. hope they stay up north until oh say Nov. 3rd :thumbsup:
lbhansford
hunter

Postby imaduckin up north » Tue Oct 08, 2013 6:18 pm

according to forecast its looking good thurs, rain windy and chilly, just hope it dont rain to hard, they tend to sit it out in heavy rain
,IS IT DUCK SEASON YET
THERE AINT NO DUCKS IN VA, dicks sporting goods told me so
you can educate ignorance
you can medicate crazy
but you cant fix stupid
imaduckin up north
hunter

Postby dukcommander » Tue Oct 08, 2013 7:02 pm

Got the gun,dekes,and rain coat ready. As of Sunday night I could not sleep. :grooving:
"Believe half of what you see , and none of what you hear"
dukcommander
hunter

Postby A5Gunner » Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:11 pm

imaduckin up north wrote:according to forecast its looking good thurs, rain windy and chilly, just hope it dont rain to hard, they tend to sit it out in heavy rain

I hear ya, I am hoping thursday won't be a bust. Hopefully this thing will move out a little more so that it is more moderate.
You ain't right.......kinda touched in the head.
A5Gunner
hunter

Postby bay gunner » Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:16 pm

If folks have to SPEND THE NIGHT in the marsh to hunt, then I feel sorry for them. PAWMA is the place I'm assuming, and the issue has arisen because of all the new duck hunters generated by the last decade of hunting TV and internet ads/forums. To think, hey that looks cool, I'm gonna be a duck hunter. I don't know anyone with land, I have no spots to hunt, I live in suburbia, but I am going to duck hunt. Kind of like deciding to be a big wave surfer, living in Kansas. Thus, you get people sleeping in the marsh. Ridiculous.
bay gunner
hunter

Postby Trent_Rivers » Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:44 pm

bay gunner wrote:If folks have to SPEND THE NIGHT in the marsh to hunt, then I feel sorry for them. PAWMA is the place I'm assuming, and the issue has arisen because of all the new duck hunters generated by the last decade of hunting TV and internet ads/forums. To think, hey that looks cool, I'm gonna be a duck hunter. I don't know anyone with land, I have no spots to hunt, I live in suburbia, but I am going to duck hunt. Kind of like deciding to be a big wave surfer, living in Kansas. Thus, you get people sleeping in the marsh. Ridiculous.

It's all about dedication man. Doing what you have to do to be able to do what you love. I live 2 hours away from all the public land I hunt and can't afford private land as I am in college. I have slept in the back seat of a suburban so me and my buddy could hunt two days without making the trip there and back. I haven't particularly noticed a bunch of new duck hunters due to tv shows etc... Maybe that's just me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
If at first you don't succeed, shoot again.
Trent_Rivers
hunter

Postby gooosehunter » Wed Oct 09, 2013 6:43 am

Well put bay gunner. I never thought of the surfer analogy before, but you are 100% correct in my opinion.
Cheers
Dave
gooosehunter
hunter

Postby Dog Tired » Wed Oct 09, 2013 7:21 am

Stayin up late each night trying to find whatever I'm missing.…but everything is already ready. Even had the canoe strapped to the roof for a few days now.

Every weather report I ready has the rain and wind being workable. Hopefully this thin passes overnight or just plain weakens up.
Dog Tired
hunter

Postby skydog » Wed Oct 09, 2013 8:11 am

bay gunner wrote:If folks have to SPEND THE NIGHT in the marsh to hunt, then I feel sorry for them. PAWMA is the place I'm assuming, and the issue has arisen because of all the new duck hunters generated by the last decade of hunting TV and internet ads/forums. To think, hey that looks cool, I'm gonna be a duck hunter. I don't know anyone with land, I have no spots to hunt, I live in suburbia, but I am going to duck hunt. Kind of like deciding to be a big wave surfer, living in Kansas. Thus, you get people sleeping in the marsh. Ridiculous.

Getting pretty tired of the elitist attitude of some of you on here...yall need to find new things to worry about. Bashing someone (who isn't even a newcomer) for being too motivated to shoot a few birds?? Gimme a break. Yall worry about duck commander ruining the sport?? It takes a very unique kind of insanity to want to be a duck hunter (wake up in the freezing cold at 0'dark thirty, go broke on gas, gear, boats, etc.) and 99.99999% of the millions who watch those guys have no desire to do it so calm down.
skydog
hunter

Postby A5Gunner » Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:03 am

How did we get into this on this thread? :sad:
A5Gunner
hunter

Postby A5Gunner » Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:13 am

I got my brand new goretex jacket that I got on super clearance this summer that I am going to wear.:thumbsup:
Cabelas changed camo patterns so all of the suden this one was worth half what it used to be. I didn't think the goretex suddenly stopped working so I bought it. I wonder if the birds will notice, they will probably laugh at me when they talk hunter fashion over a latte. "Dd you see that guy, I can't believe he was wearing last year's camo pattern!"

Boat is loaded with decoys, check.
Camo for the boat, check.
Blinds are brushed, check.

Trying to decide what gun to take.

I can't wait!
A5Gunner
hunter

Postby recoil slinger » Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:18 am

A5Gunner wrote:I got my brand new goretex jacket that I got on super clearance this summer that I am going to wear.:thumbsup:
Cabelas changed camo patterns so all of the suden this one was worth half what it used to be. I didn't think the goretex suddenly stopped working so I bought it. I wonder if the birds will notice, they will probably laugh at me when they talk hunter fashion over a latte. "Dd you see that guy, I can't believe he was wearing last year's camo pattern!"

Boat is loaded with decoys, check.
Camo for the boat, check.
Blinds are brushed, check.

Trying to decide what gun to take.

I can't wait!

I am doing last minute boat preperations and cant find my american flag bandanna
Drank some of daves koolaid, and cant stop looking in the mirror.
vice president of back bay blind retrieval association.
beast mode on
recoil slinger
hunter

Postby Tangier Island Slacker » Wed Oct 09, 2013 11:41 am

Praying for someone to take me so I can finally close the deal on a wood duck. Anyone got a spot?
Tangier Island Slacker
hunter

Postby fowl mouth » Wed Oct 09, 2013 11:51 am

Tangier Island Slacker wrote:Praying for someone to take me so I can finally close the deal on a wood duck. Anyone got a spot?

:lol3: :lol3:
Liberty '14-Broadcasting/Digital Media
DUCKHILL BEAU
What a man will do for a duck
#SOMEDUCKSINVA
fowl mouth
State Moderator

Postby Cap'm Pooty » Wed Oct 09, 2013 1:06 pm

Go to the pocahontas princess anne area and shoot all the woodducks, i mean merganzers, I mean woodducks, i mean merganzers....oh, just shoot at everything and one of them might be a good duck.
Cap'm Pooty
hunter

Postby kahunna » Thu Oct 10, 2013 7:22 am

What's everyone gonna have for breakfast on the way? I'm thinking granola bars and coffee, but not sure if that will suit the weather.
kahunna
hunter

Next

Return to Virginia Duck Hunting