mixed breeds

For information on local hunting and meet other hunters here in the Virginia duck hunting forum.

Moderators: swampbilly 1980, callncut, Ichabod97, fowl mouth

mixed breeds

Postby lbhansford » Fri Oct 04, 2013 10:57 am

Hey question....

If there are about 25 mallards that have all cross bred with some bastard white farm duck and some other funny looking duck (looks like a hen pintail with a canvasduck beak). Are they legal to shoot? i jknow the crosses can count as mallards but what about the other two?

would like to clean up the gene pool :sniper:
lbhansford
hunter

Re: mixed breeds

Postby Have Gun Will Travel » Fri Oct 04, 2013 11:29 am

Any cross bred duck killed will take the species it most represents towards your bag limit.
adustydawg2 wrote: maybe, just maybe, if you held your mouth right and prayed a little, you might get a 1 day invite before the end of the season. :eek: :hammer: Just a possibility. :bow: Send me a pm. :hi:
Have Gun Will Travel
hunter

Postby lbhansford » Fri Oct 04, 2013 11:38 am

so whats the limit on farm ducks? plain old white duck is banging out our resident mallards like Bill clinton at an intern convention

and to clarify these are not actual farm ducks as they is no farm within 20 miles, just some ducks that somebody thought would be cute to wonder the creeks and tag all the pure breds.
lbhansford
hunter

Postby fowl mouth » Fri Oct 04, 2013 12:07 pm

what park pond are you hunting lb :lol3: :lol3:
Liberty '14-Broadcasting/Digital Media
DUCKHILL BEAU
What a man will do for a duck
#SOMEDUCKSINVA
fowl mouth
State Moderator

Postby lbhansford » Fri Oct 04, 2013 12:29 pm

your mom's :thumbsup:
lbhansford
hunter

Postby gooosehunter » Fri Oct 04, 2013 1:02 pm

Nice!

Game Wardens count them as what they look like. Best thing to do is shoot the enforcement division of the DGIF an email. They are pretty good at giving you a straight answer. Make sure you carry their response with you when hunting as a backup.
BACK BAY/PUNGO LOCAL WANNABE
Back Bay Hazardous Sea Conditions Navigation Expert
Back Bay Entitlement & Anti Sunday hunting supporter
Moving to Front Royal, VA to be close to my friends
Don't Take My Blind Whiner/Complainer/Victim & Apparent Homo
gooosehunter
hunter

Postby lbhansford » Fri Oct 04, 2013 1:08 pm

is it legal to shoot the all white orange billed domestic or is he off limits. the offspring just look like mallards with some white on them but definitely counting as mallards by look.
lbhansford
hunter

Postby A5Gunner » Fri Oct 04, 2013 3:16 pm

I would think the white ones are considered domesticated animals and are probably covered under whatever gun-law and animal cruelty local ordinance that you have. A few years back some idiot kids shot a park goose in VB with a bow and got everybody all rieled up about it. The news made it sound like they were ax murderers in training. I have no problems with killin the whities like a duck huntin Lewis Farakahn but some people might get upset so I would keep it on the downlow. :wink:
You ain't right.......kinda touched in the head.
A5Gunner
hunter

Postby TheBlackduck » Fri Oct 04, 2013 3:20 pm

If it looks like a mallard, it will count as a mallard. If it looks like a hodgepodge it will count as a "duck" and you can shoot 6 of them. Technically domestic birds like the "aflac" duck don't count against your bag limit, it's about the same as if you were in the woods and someone's chicken came by- you can shoot it, it's livestock, but the owner can pursue damages against you for it. Of course if they're turned loose and abandoned then it's fair game. But for the sake of not having to argue with a warden, it would be prudent to count the white duck as one of your 6 ducks.
TheBlackduck
hunter

Postby Bullfrog26692 » Sun Oct 06, 2013 6:10 am

anyone ever eat an Aflac duck?
gooosehunter wrote:I dont always shoot ducks, but when I do, it's dos duckies.
Bullfrog26692
hunter

Postby kahunna » Sun Oct 06, 2013 6:47 am

"If it looks like a"...kind of like Obongo? Oops, thought this was a political thread.
kahunna
hunter

Postby Dog Tired » Mon Oct 07, 2013 5:12 am

Bullfrog, yep. And you may have eaten them as well if you've ordered it at whatever restaurant out in town. It's a Peking most likely and is pretty common if not the most common livestock duck. They're just like the wild ones for the most part-they'll taste along the lines of what you feed them.
Dog Tired
hunter

Postby lbhansford » Mon Oct 07, 2013 6:47 am

bobbarker.JPG
lbhansford
hunter

Postby Mudgun » Mon Oct 07, 2013 2:56 pm

Having shot a few farm ducks it's pretty easy to determine that a duck weighing 9 pounds is not a wild duck. And if it has any sort of farm look to it, it's a Muscovy and there is no limit. You clearly shot those ducks to get them out of wild duck habitat. Put em in a seprate pile and continue shooting real ducks.

Same if a chicken walks by.
NOW WITH MORE 100% MORE VITRIOLIC SARCASM!!!
Mudgun
hunter

Postby TheBlackduck » Mon Oct 07, 2013 3:53 pm

Mudgun, I will disagree with your last post. For one, all "farm duck" breeds derive from the mallard except for the Muscovy, but the Muscovy is a wild breed native to central America and now making its way into Texas and places further north. There are also many feral populations of Muscovy ducks from captive birds going wild in certain areas. Muscovy ducks are protected by the Migratory Bird Treaty, so I would count a Muscovy duck in my 6 bird limit. On the other hand, the "farm ducks" that most people are familiar with are the types descended from mallards, your Peking and Swedish and Cayuga and Magpie and Rouen, etc, and those ducks can be shot without counting them in your limit. Still, you are looking at a long argument with a warden(or a judge) if the warden is unaware of that fact, and unless you go to a "pet" honey hole or a town park where domestic ducks are in abundance, it seems to me that the occasional tamie that shows up in the bag may as well count as one of your six, thus avoiding complications. Just my opinion.
TheBlackduck
hunter

Postby lbhansford » Tue Oct 08, 2013 6:49 am

im with ya black.. Going to count towards bag limit. THe mixed mallards will go as mallards and the white widow will be a misc. Dont plan on shooting over six, like i said just alot of UGLY ducks swimming around bc of this one white duck so he's made the hit list.
lbhansford
hunter

Postby Mudgun » Tue Oct 08, 2013 2:31 pm

Are yall kidding me? You're going to shoot a 9lb mutt duck and count it as a Mallard?

Why not count it as a Pintail? Eurasian Wigeon? Chilean Teal? I mean, at least make it something to brag about.

Count the white ones as Snows.
NOW WITH MORE 100% MORE VITRIOLIC SARCASM!!!
Mudgun
hunter

Postby Tangier Island Slacker » Tue Oct 08, 2013 3:45 pm

Mudgun wrote:Are yall kidding me? You're going to shoot a 9lb mutt duck and count it as a Mallard?

Heck yes. I'd do it to feel good about myself, so rarely get to shoot any of those.
Tangier Island Slacker
hunter

Return to Virginia Duck Hunting