I Stand Corrected

For information on local hunting and meet other hunters here in the Virginia duck hunting forum.

Moderators: swampbilly 1980, Ichabod97, callncut, fowl mouth

I Stand Corrected

Postby skydog » Sat Oct 12, 2013 10:45 am

I know I'm preaching to the choir here... but have to say how wrong I was a few days ago when I said that TV/new duck hunters aren't harming the sport. This week has been my first week back hunting "public" waters in Va in several years and I'll now be the first to admit that it's gotten bad out there. The past two days we've had (two different) yahoos barreling up our creek 10 minutes after LST looking for a place to hunt. Needless to say, the creek is entirely locked up with blinds. The idiots this morning either hadn't done any scouting beyond google earth or were hoping that the blinds were unattended...when they spotted us in the blind we heard them yell "$#it there's someone in there" and they sped away with me shouting at them over the motor. About an hour later, they motored back up the creek within a couple hundred yards from us and fired at some seagulls and sped away again...I assume to "teach me a lesson" for shouting at them?? Completely unbelievable.

I love duck hunting but for me it's just not worth putting up with this nonsense....we've got a lot of great hunting in Va that I'll enjoy this season but these clowns can have the (no) ducks. End rant

-eating crow (not ducks)
skydog
hunter

Re: I Stand Corrected

Postby imaduckin up north » Sat Oct 12, 2013 11:16 am

hell i saw some guys duck hunting out of a silver and red bass tracker, with nada cover
,IS IT DUCK SEASON YET
THERE AINT NO DUCKS IN VA, dicks sporting goods told me so
you can educate ignorance
you can medicate crazy
but you cant fix stupid
imaduckin up north
hunter

Postby fowl mouth » Sat Oct 12, 2013 1:09 pm

told ya. :violin:
Liberty '14-Broadcasting/Digital Media
DUCKHILL BEAU
What a man will do for a duck
#SOMEDUCKSINVA
fowl mouth
State Moderator

Postby bay gunner » Sat Oct 12, 2013 6:13 pm

:huh: Hmmm seems we aren't so silly after all.
bay gunner
hunter

Postby gooosehunter » Sat Oct 12, 2013 6:15 pm

Had some guys set up 263 yards away from me on back bay today. Not only trespassing on me but two other groups too. It's a shame
Cheers
Dave
gooosehunter
hunter

Postby creechcw » Sat Oct 12, 2013 7:54 pm

The place i hunted on thursday was a circus too, not sure if its the commander craze to blame or just trendy these days to try to kill ducks.
creechcw
hunter

Postby swampbilly 1980 » Sun Oct 13, 2013 5:57 am

skydog wrote: About an hour later, they motored back up the creek within a couple hundred yards from us and fired at some seagulls and sped away again...I assume to "teach me a lesson" for shouting at them?? Completely unbelievable.

There was a time in my life when I'd have fired up the Evinrude and chased 'em down.

It's still in me, but guess it depends now on how strong the coffee is that morning to go through all the trouble .
Swampbilly1980- I got a feeva',..and the only cure is more Mergansers and face paint.
swampbilly 1980
Forum & State Moderator

Postby old1neck » Sun Oct 13, 2013 6:26 am

It's only going to get worse, but dam if I'm gonna give up duck hunting over it.
What time is shooting time?
old1neck
hunter

Postby swampbilly 1980 » Sun Oct 13, 2013 6:48 am

old1neck wrote:It's only going to get worse, but dam if I'm gonna give up duck hunting over it.

Me either.
Think there's a lot of facepaint and barrel stickers out there.

This ain't Louisiana.
Swampbilly1980- I got a feeva',..and the only cure is more Mergansers and face paint.
swampbilly 1980
Forum & State Moderator

Postby old1neck » Sun Oct 13, 2013 6:54 am

Just imagine if there were no blind laws.
What time is shooting time?
old1neck
hunter

Postby swampbilly 1980 » Sun Oct 13, 2013 7:16 am

old1neck wrote:Just imagine if there were no blind laws.

Know I've complained about blind laws, err,.. the manipulation of them rather, other than that, I just can't,(don't want to), imagine what that would be like.
Have been told over the years I've got the patience of a Saint, but everyone has their limitations. I'd rather have someone run up on me while Speck fishin' than to have someone on top of me relentlessly blowing a duckcall, making noise, showing up late at legal shootin' setting decoys, etc. while trying to hunt.

Remaining on this side of a jail cell could prove itself to be a challenge.
swampbilly 1980
Forum & State Moderator

Postby cut_un » Sun Oct 13, 2013 8:39 am

I hunt for the enjoyment of the hunt..... To hunt "public" is O fun..... These days I have Two options.... Either hunt Private water or hunt "private land" upland game...... I'd rather sit in the woods by myself deer hunting than sit on public water with some peckerhead 100 yards away, over calling, skybusting and making MY day a total waste of time. Afraid to say it but "the Good Old Days" of duck hunting are gone... at least for this ole boy! :no:
Big Al's" Take 'Em" Silhouettes Pro Staff

Team Chasin' Feathers
Eastern Shore Rod & Gun Club
Share your passion, take a kid hunting!
cut_un
hunter

Postby skydog » Sun Oct 13, 2013 10:48 am

swampbilly 1980 wrote:There was a time in my life when I'd have fired up the Evinrude and chased 'em down.

Believe me I was about as fired up as you can get and would have been on their tail if I hadn't already come to the conclusion that their boat could outrun mine :no: Need to get myself a faster motor :fingerhead:

AS for the blind laws, it really does make you realize how necessary they are...would be total anarchy out there without them as long as guys are acting like this.

And couldn't agree more Cut...before anything else hunting for me should be (somewhat) relaxing and enjoyable and it's getting really tough to find that on the duck waters.
skydog
hunter

Postby cut_un » Sun Oct 13, 2013 11:02 am

The one thing, or that one word that is missing in "todays duck hunter". RESPECT/ repect the other mans spot... if he/she beats you to it.Repsect the other guys air....if he's working a few birds, let him have em....You get your own to play with & talk too in a few mins. Learn to get along!
I've had folks set up 100 yards from me,west of 95( No Blind laws) and we both got shooting...I did not over call or skybust, they did the same thing and we both slapped each outher on the back after the hunt. In todays crowed world.. everyone can have a good day of fowling around it we the waterfowlers learn to simply get along and respect "the other guy" :wink: It's really NOT THAT HARD TO DO! BUT..... I've been on that other side too and came home with no birds and in a mad mood to boot...That is not what duck hunting is supposed to be about :rolleyes:
Big Al's" Take 'Em" Silhouettes Pro Staff

Team Chasin' Feathers
Eastern Shore Rod & Gun Club
Share your passion, take a kid hunting!
cut_un
hunter

Postby bowhunter1212 » Sun Oct 13, 2013 2:51 pm

If a floater sets up inside of 500 yards of my blind .
1 i wait til he gets his rig set.
2 I go over to him pull out cell phone take pic of boat numbers
take pic of who ever was running the boat
4 tell them to have a good day
5 call C. O.
Every time they have left within 15 min
bowhunter1212
hunter

Postby Mudgun » Sun Oct 13, 2013 4:14 pm

You guys are just afraid someone is gonna show you up.

We got to a spot opening morning and some guys were set up about two hundred yards from where we were gonna hunt. They were not happy that we went by them. Guess what? We didnt call, heck we didnt even have decoys out. We shot our ducks in range and didnt mess with them one bit. they shot their birds. it is ALL about how you hunt not where.
NOW WITH MORE 100% MORE VITRIOLIC SARCASM!!!
Mudgun
hunter

Postby fowl mouth » Sun Oct 13, 2013 5:27 pm

Mudgun wrote:You guys are just afraid someone is gonna show you up.

I really don't think thats the issue here... :no:
Liberty '14-Broadcasting/Digital Media
DUCKHILL BEAU
What a man will do for a duck
#SOMEDUCKSINVA
fowl mouth
State Moderator

Postby skimerhorn » Sun Oct 13, 2013 6:13 pm

I've never had to deal with the blind laws, but I do know that it sucks when you see some ducks circling around the treeline coming back your way. Then BAM BAM, no more ducks and 100 yds away is a guy you didn't even know was there. But I will give them the benefit of doubt if they didn't know you were there when they setup, then moved when they saw you. I have never in my 15 years of hunting had that happen, no matter what I was hunting. Usually the guy(or guys) are pricks about it. Even if you are clearly where you're suppose to be. The woods and water are shrinking around us, but the number of people there isn't. I hate to say it, but its gonna get worse before it gets better.
skimerhorn
hunter

Postby swampbilly 1980 » Sun Oct 13, 2013 6:32 pm

Mudgun wrote:You guys are just afraid someone is gonna screw you up.

FIFY :wink:

We got to a spot opening morning and some guys were set up about two hundred yards from where we were gonna hunt. They were not happy that we went by them. Guess what? We didnt call, heck we didnt even have decoys out. We shot our ducks in range and didnt mess with them one bit. they shot their birds. it is ALL about howyou hunt not where.

Glad to hear you guys wound up with some birds in that situation :thumbsup:

My experiences have been different than that, the differences being where I've hunted more of a factor vs. how I hunted. And coming in 2nd would be when I had to do it.

Pass shooting has it's place , and have done it 100yds. (even less), from others and with no decoys. Speaking for myself, where it was done sure did make a difference in terms of "how" the place was hunted .

Sure would like to hear more about how to be successful without decoys, and the best yardage to be from another group of duckhunters who are using decoys traditionally.

Perhaps you can expound on the better, "one size fits all" method for those of us with so little "self esteem" to hunt around others-- anywhere ( with apparent guaranteed success), who you know absolutely nothing about.
swampbilly 1980
Forum & State Moderator

Postby A5Gunner » Fri Oct 18, 2013 3:03 pm

Out of three days I hunted I had jackrabbits roll up on my established and licenced blinds twice. Both at around 830 or so. :mad: :mad: Then they spotted us they acted surprized that a blind was there. In the first instance it was obvious they were trolling around with the motor on trying to jump up ducks. I swear I heard "is that a duck?" when they saw my dekes, I was just waiting for a shot to ring out. Luckily they saw me waiving frantically, I think. :hi: :mad:

What this tells me is that they just woke up one day and decided to go huntin with thier buds without ever scouting, cause they never show the work or scouting part in the video's. Next is that they quit shortly after first flight, guess the action wasn't fast enough for them like in the video's. Maybe I should have had some head banging speed metal playing so they would know we were duck hunting, that's what I always hear in the video's. Unless u can't tell I really hate most of those shows/DVDs.

I can only hope these numbnutz get bored and try something else like paintball. Real life duck hunting ain't like an unreality show and hopefullly that will save us in the long haul. :sad:
You ain't right.......kinda touched in the head.
A5Gunner
hunter

Postby Mudgun » Mon Oct 21, 2013 12:25 pm

swampbilly 1980 wrote:

We got to a spot opening morning and some guys were set up about two hundred yards from where we were gonna hunt. They were not happy that we went by them. Guess what? We didnt call, heck we didnt even have decoys out. We shot our ducks in range and didnt mess with them one bit. they shot their birds. it is ALL about howyou hunt not where.

My experiences have been different than that, the differences being where I've hunted more of a factor vs. how I hunted. And coming in 2nd would be when I had to do it.

Pass shooting has it's place , and have done it 100yds. (even less), from others and with no decoys. Speaking for myself, where it was done sure did make a difference in terms of "how" the place was hunted .

Sure would like to hear more about how to be successful without decoys, and the best yardage to be from another group of duckhunters who are using decoys traditionally.

Perhaps you can expound on the better, "one size fits all" method for those of us with so little "self esteem" to hunt around others-- anywhere ( with apparent guaranteed success), who you know absolutely nothing about.

You ever notice that all of these stories have something in common? THE OTHER GUY SCREWED US UP. Hunting wood ducks is about knowing where they are, where they are going and how they get there. They aren't coming to a bunch of mallard decoys and a mallard mojo no matter how much face paint you have on. Will they fly by? Maybe. But if you know how to hunt a spot that's maybe 60 yards wide do you really need decoys?

We hunted a spot two years ago that was JUST legal. There was a chink in the blind law armour that was a space just big enough to tag a blind. Opening morning we were in there and we were having a GOOD shoot. It was in some seriously skinny water and we had to leave before we got stranded. While we were there, two other groups were hunting close by (legally). If birds were working them, we didn't call. Three blinds blowing calls is not better than one blind blowing calls. We shot our birds and left. One blind owner was irate. The thing that got me was the fact that if we hadn't been there, the majority of the birds would have landed near us and he wouldn't have gotten the shots that he did. He wold have sat watched flock after flock land on the flat un-molested. I HATE that. I would rather watch someone else shoot birds than watch a hundred birds get in a refuge un-touched.
NOW WITH MORE 100% MORE VITRIOLIC SARCASM!!!
Mudgun
hunter

Postby KAhunter » Mon Oct 21, 2013 12:32 pm

unfortunately it will prob take lower limits and shorter seasons to thin out alot of people. Its just too much of a fad now. People just want to shoot the gun instead of doing it right. I have guys who used to call me a redneck who want to go duck hunting now. The worst part is all they care about is pulling the trigger and tend to loose alot of ducks. Its a shame. We used to hunt public more oftne but its become a mess even trying to get 200 yards to yourself. We just hide on private land most of the time.
"If you have to be crazy to be a duck hunter, i dont wish to be sane" Robert Ruark

Its always duck season, there is just a long break from february to september.
KAhunter
hunter

Postby gooosehunter » Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:50 pm

I agree Mudgun. Completely. It is sort of like a dove shoot to keep the birds moving sometimes. This year there has been way too much water where I hunt and the birds can go anywhere they please.
Cheers
Dave
gooosehunter
hunter

Postby recoil slinger » Mon Oct 21, 2013 3:16 pm

gooosehunter wrote:I agree Mudgun. Completely. It is sort of like a dove shoot to keep the birds moving sometimes. This year there has been way too much water where I hunt and the birds can go anywhere they please.

there is this public place ive been hunting for years. for the most part people seem to respect one another. now another spot i fancy people stick closer to one another like a camo skintag. :fingerhead:
Drank some of daves koolaid, and cant stop looking in the mirror.
vice president of back bay blind retrieval association.
beast mode on
recoil slinger
hunter

Postby swampbilly 1980 » Tue Oct 22, 2013 5:34 am

Mudgun wrote:
swampbilly 1980 wrote:

You ever notice that all of these stories have something in common? THE OTHER GUY SCREWED US UP. Hunting wood ducks is about knowing where they are, where they are going and how they get there. They aren't coming to a bunch of mallard decoys and a mallard mojo no matter how much face paint you have on. Will they fly by? Maybe. But if you know how to hunt a spot that's maybe 60 yards wide do you really need decoys?

No you don't have to have decoys- at all, I hear 'ya :thumbsup:
Would believe it's safe to say that not all of us hunt in a situation that doesn't require decoys every time we go. And if I'm in a shoreblind with someone 200yds. away , it's hard for me to put a whole lot of trust into someone who I don't know,.. no more trust than what that group of guys can put into me.

We agree, (I think), but not wanting anyone close to me in situations other than what you've described, doesn't make me "scared someone is going to show me up".

The reason I quoted ya' out was to get more clarification 'Mud,..that the scenario or situation has it's place, and just doesn't run parallel across the board in every huntin' situation in or from every blind, in every place.

My point , (and where we'd disagree), is that when I hunt without decoys, and close to others, most certainly depends on WHERE that is.,,not "how I hunt" in general. Would like to think how I hunt is consistent.

And not everyone "knows" exactly where Woodducks are going on that morning flight. We know they're going to feed somewhere, but that somewhere could be a place one doesn't have permission to be.
:beer:
swampbilly 1980
Forum & State Moderator

Next

Return to Virginia Duck Hunting