Jerk Rigs

For information on local hunting and meet other hunters here in the Virginia duck hunting forum.

Moderators: swampbilly 1980, Ichabod97, callncut, fowl mouth

Jerk Rigs

Postby NativeGaelGunna » Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:38 am

Anyone else make them at home? I have been thinking of upgrading mine so that multiple ducks will move in the spread. The ratio of decoys making ripples to jerk cords should be at least 2:1. I have also considered using bottom rigs with heavy weights to sink line, skinny steel cables with snap swivels that go through drilled holes in floorboard, and black spray painted wooden poles with circles on the top that you can shove down in the mud but the line goes through the eye below water and you could have a long jerk rig on open water
This might sound crazy but I have been working on the black spray painted brick with circle screw/ black spray painted concrete saucer for w while but the bricks break and the saucers are heavy loud and hard to transfer
I'm thinking the pole with circle on top would work best
Also I'm going to get longer elastic cords so I can have stationary decoys between 2 or 3 that are moving. If you had two of em cris crossed at the X with a hole open and a little wind those fat mallats won't be able to resist Mr
Tanks Nayspahegh
NativeGaelGunna
hunter

Re: Jerk Rigs

Postby va marsh rat » Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:18 am

2 lb. fishing weight, 40 yards of decoy cord, a small pulley, and short stick to wind the line around. Attach the cord to the bottom of the duck bill with a eye-screw. Attach pulley to weight, and run line thru pulley to blind. Done
va marsh rat
hunter

Postby top o va » Wed Oct 16, 2013 9:29 am

Just make sure you don't put to many decoys on one cord. They tend to circle up.
top o va
hunter

Postby dave_pronto » Fri Oct 18, 2013 7:56 pm

dave_pronto
hunter

Postby slickfly » Sun Oct 27, 2013 2:52 pm

Instead of an anchor, I use a 4 foot piece of chain so when I'm done, I can easily drag the chain without snagging on anything at the bottom.
slickfly
hunter

Postby va marsh rat » Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:42 pm

Spraypaint that chain gold so it looks like the duck is feeding on corn...
va marsh rat
hunter

Postby swampbilly 1980 » Tue Oct 29, 2013 8:11 am

Question-
If you use a jerk rig, does that make you a..jerk?
:huh:
Swampbilly1980- I got a feeva',..and the only cure is more Mergansers and face paint.
swampbilly 1980
Forum & State Moderator

Postby imaduckin up north » Tue Oct 29, 2013 8:24 am

just hang a hook with a minner on it under dekes soon youll have plenty of motion
,IS IT DUCK SEASON YET
THERE AINT NO DUCKS IN VA, ***** sporting goods told me so
you can educate ignorance
you can medicate crazy
but you cant fix stupid
imaduckin up north
hunter

Postby swampbilly 1980 » Wed Oct 30, 2013 4:22 am

imaduckin up north wrote:just hang a hook with a minner on it under dekes soon youll have plenty of motion

Sounds like a great idea!- heck tie off a Rockfish, that'll give 'ya all the movement a man could ever want :yes:
Swampbilly1980- I got a feeva',..and the only cure is more Mergansers and face paint.
swampbilly 1980
Forum & State Moderator

Return to Virginia Duck Hunting