Fall Project

For information on local hunting and meet other hunters here in the Virginia duck hunting forum.

Moderators: swampbilly 1980, fowl mouth, Ichabod97, callncut

Fall Project

Postby Undrcoverrednek » Mon Oct 21, 2013 4:58 pm

I've been meaning to build one of those hybrid boats for a year or two and finally got around to it.

I used cabosil thickened epoxy instead of PL premium and epoxy instead of polyester resin. I used graphite thickened epoxy on the bottom and paint from Lock, Stock, and Barrel. I changed up the deck a little bit so I can stick a bag of decoys on the front and strap it down. Got 9 MPH tonight with the 3.5 Tohatsu running against the tide. I need to get my angled engine mounting block on the back so I can get the thrust angle a little better (it's putting the bow up and plowing). Should be a good little rig to crowd into the public spots and hide 75 yards down wind of some other dudes :grooving:
swampbilly 1980 wrote:I'm a poor man, but I'd pay good money to taste some of that juicy white meat...
Undrcoverrednek
hunter

Re: Fall Project

Postby DucknGoodTime » Mon Oct 21, 2013 5:05 pm

Good looking build. Mine has been a big bonus to my hunting, getting me into places most others cant.

Blessings,
Rick
Blessings,
Rick
DucknGoodTime
hunter

Postby recoil slinger » Mon Oct 21, 2013 5:22 pm

Sweet setup. You putting a blind on it?
Boy, duck hunting is for fags and pirates. And I know your no pirate
vice president of back bay blind retrieval association.
beast mode on
recoil slinger
hunter

Postby Undrcoverrednek » Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:17 pm

recoil slinger wrote:Sweet setup. You putting a blind on it?

You don't really need a blind. I kill a lot of ducks like this:

I just wanted to say I built my own boat.

I'm going to put up something with 3/4 conduit on the front that will be like a spray shield in shape so I can sit relatively upright after I get it setup. Probably using some BPS fastgrass this year cuz I'm starting to get tired of spending money.
swampbilly 1980 wrote:I'm a poor man, but I'd pay good money to taste some of that juicy white meat...
Undrcoverrednek
hunter

Postby lbhansford » Tue Oct 22, 2013 6:41 am

think your motor issue might be having a long shaft on it. Try raising it temporarily or borrow a short shaft and see how it does. if it does well add a bracket to the transom so the motor mount is a little higher. Probably pick up a few miles per hour. Great looking boat you built though. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: Looking at trying to build one myslef next year.how many hours ya estimate?
lbhansford
hunter

Postby gooosehunter » Tue Oct 22, 2013 11:55 am

lbhansford wrote:think your motor issue might be having a long shaft on it. Try raising it temporarily or borrow a short shaft and see how it does. if it does well add a bracket to the transom so the motor mount is a little higher. Probably pick up a few miles per hour. Great looking boat you built though. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: Looking at trying to build one myslef next year.how many hours ya estimate?

Want to make two at once. I have wanted to make a layout boat for some time.
Great looking rig you have. Maybe add grass rails to the front and or sides?
Cheers
Dave
gooosehunter
hunter

Postby Undrcoverrednek » Tue Oct 22, 2013 1:42 pm

Two at once sounds fun in principle, but you need space. Also, there is a lot of drying time between steps sometimes so it's not that easy to just dedicate a weekend and bang it out. I would guess 20 - 25 hours in it over a few weeks.

The motor is a short shaft and the cavitation plate is in the correct position per the manufacturer's recommendations. Without my angled mount, it kind like running the motor trimmed up a bit. Needs to be "trimmed down" to keep from plowing.

I haven't exactly decided how to grass the boat. I do like the look of grass rails, but I am thinking of going with kayak style bungee and that plastic landscaping netting. I'm using this blind as my inspiration, but I'm using grass instead of netting.
Attachments
Blind Idea.jpg
Blind Idea.jpg (11.02 KiB) Viewed 400 times
Undrcoverrednek
hunter

Postby Percidae_Papermouth » Tue Oct 22, 2013 6:24 pm

Nice boat, something to be proud of.... Man judging by that guys garage he is either OCD or isn't married...
Percidae_Papermouth
hunter

Postby gooosehunter » Wed Oct 23, 2013 6:58 am

OMG! Great set up in the garage. I am embarrassed over my garage and shed. Looking good Redneck
Cheers
Dave
gooosehunter
hunter

Return to Virginia Duck Hunting