Decoy Line

For information on local hunting and meet other hunters here in the Virginia duck hunting forum.

Moderators: swampbilly 1980, fowl mouth, Ichabod97, callncut

Decoy Line

Postby Undrcoverrednek » Wed Oct 23, 2013 4:45 pm

Who here has gone from tarred line to mono for your decoy lines? Do you really think it made a difference to the ducks?

I guess I am in the if they are close enough to see the lines you should be shooting camp, but I have some decoys to rig and was curious if it made much difference.
swampbilly 1980 wrote:I'm a poor man, but I'd pay good money to taste some of that juicy white meat...
Undrcoverrednek
hunter

Re: Decoy Line

Postby imaduckin up north » Wed Oct 23, 2013 6:12 pm

im goin to stick to tarred line, use to buy rolls of it at walmart but they quit carrying it. not sure where to get it now
,IS IT DUCK SEASON YET
THERE AINT NO DUCKS IN VA, ***** sporting goods told me so
you can educate ignorance
you can medicate crazy
but you cant fix stupid
imaduckin up north
hunter

Postby Undrcoverrednek » Wed Oct 23, 2013 6:50 pm

I. Cooper's in Hampton has it. Could make a phone call and see if they will ship you a roll.
swampbilly 1980 wrote:I'm a poor man, but I'd pay good money to taste some of that juicy white meat...
Undrcoverrednek
hunter

Postby gooosehunter » Thu Oct 24, 2013 6:30 am

I use the crab pot rope. Its cheaper, does not tangle, last longer and sinks straight down to avoid fouling your prop. A friends used the mono on our texas rigged decoys for shallow water. I am not sure if it made a difference or not.

I.C. Coopers carries the crab pot line. Ask the guy which one the duck hunters use and he will hook you up.
Cheers
Dave
gooosehunter
hunter

Postby kahunna » Thu Oct 24, 2013 6:51 am

Tarred Decoy line = Mike Keller's Supply in Rocky Mount (I think) N.C. but they are on line for ordering; Ocean Products Research in Mathews (Diggs), Va same company as Cooper's; Rappahannock Copper Paint/Marine Supplies Rt. 17 in Church View, Va.
kahunna
hunter

Postby G3duck » Thu Oct 24, 2013 6:55 am

I use the small braided on ling lines, and parachute cord on gang rigs.
I rigged several dozen "texas style" with mono. Used 100# test and it's stiff enough not to tangle but still lets the decoys move in light winds. I like both.
G3duck
hunter

Postby lbhansford » Thu Oct 24, 2013 2:21 pm

80 mono on all mine. think when it gets real cold and water gets clear the birds have to be able to see all the black cords under every decoy. i am no pro by any means often overthink things though (see crab dredging thread :lol3: )
lbhansford
hunter

Postby petrel » Fri Oct 25, 2013 8:21 am

lbhansford wrote:80 mono on all mine. think when it gets real cold and water gets clear the birds have to be able to see all the black cords under every decoy. i am no pro by any means often overthink things though (see crab dredging thread :lol3: )

A bunch of black lines on a tan mud bottom in clear water can't help. I think there is something to that. We try to keep the cords as short as possible, so each decoy doesn't have a bunch of "scope" strung out in front of it.
petrel
hunter

Postby A5Gunner » Tue Oct 29, 2013 6:09 pm

I use green (they call it camo) or black line. I have used clear tanglefree also. Some day they come in, some days they don't. I don't know if it matters that much. The green looks like vegitation to me for whatever that is worth.
You ain't right.......kinda touched in the head.
A5Gunner
hunter

Return to Virginia Duck Hunting