flocking question?

For information on local hunting and meet other hunters here in the Virginia duck hunting forum.

Moderators: swampbilly 1980, fowl mouth, Ichabod97, callncut

flocking question?

Postby skimerhorn » Sun Nov 03, 2013 10:55 am

I picked up 14 goose shells for a good deal the other day, but the heads need to be touched up. Someone said I should try one of the flocking kits and reflock the heads. Has anyone done this, or could recommend a kit to try?
skimerhorn
hunter

Re: flocking question?

Postby imaduckin up north » Sun Nov 03, 2013 11:17 am

ive done it many times, make sure you do it in a garage or shed so theres no wind, get a large container to catch excess that falls off for re- use, apply glue in sections dont try to glue whole head at once. and before you start clean heads and neck thoroghly. one tip if paint on body needs touch up do that first. if youre close to fredericksburg ill help you and show you how to touch up paint if youre not sure
,IS IT DUCK SEASON YET
THERE AINT NO DUCKS IN VA, dicks sporting goods told me so
you can educate ignorance
you can medicate crazy
but you cant fix stupid
imaduckin up north
hunter

Postby skimerhorn » Sun Nov 03, 2013 11:47 am

The heads are removable, so that should make it a lil easier. The bodies are ok not great but not sure how much work they will need to fool a goose.
skimerhorn
hunter

Postby Mudgun » Mon Nov 04, 2013 6:20 am

Just get flat black Rustoleum paint from Lowe's and leave the top off for a couple of days. This will thicken the paint and make it easier to use. Don't skip this step.

Steal a strainer from the kitchen and put the flocking in it and sift it back into a bag. This will get the clumps out if there are any (and there will be). Dump the bag into the ketchup squirt bottles that come with the kit. Get a buddy to paint and you spray the flocking on.

Cover it really thick and let it sit. After a while you can tap the decoy to get any flocking that didn't stick.

You can paint right over old flocking with no issues. I just did some goose floaters this summer that were bare paint and I did two coats before it looked good. One looked a little mangy.
NOW WITH MORE 100% MORE VITRIOLIC SARCASM!!!
Mudgun
hunter

Postby Ruddy757 » Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:09 am

Another very important step is to first ask yourself- is all of that work and effort for you or for the ducks/geese? I've never owned any flocked decoy, and I would venture to say that we shoot more than average numbers of ducks and geese in good ol' VA. For what its worth.
Ruddy757
hunter

Postby bcduck » Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:23 am

There a bunch of kits on ebay...

Looking at a flocked head vs not flocked, sure as h$ll looks a lot better flocked....IMO

We've done a bunch of Bigfoots and shell heads and turned out great.
bcduck
hunter

Postby swampbilly 1980 » Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:26 am

Just curious Ruddy-

Ruddy757 wrote:Another very important step is to first ask yourself- is all of that work and effort for you or for the ducks/geese?

Should this important step be done before or after the flocking is done?

I've never owned any flocked decoy, and I would venture to say that we shoot more than average numbers of ducks and geese in good ol' VA. For what its worth.

What's "average"?
So are you eluding to say that perhaps un-flocked decoys are more "convincing" to ducks and geese, or that it really doesn't matter one way or the other?
:beer:
Swampbilly1980- I got a feeva',..and the only cure is more Mergansers and face paint.
swampbilly 1980
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Ruddy757 » Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:26 am

before....unless you're a glutton for punishment :thumbsup:

Nope, just saying that the majority of the crap-o-la sold by Cabela's and BPS is for the hunter's benefit. i.e. HD, 3D camo, super-duper fast steel/tungsten, etc, etc etc. I find it very hard to believe that a flocked head on a goose decoy makes that big of a difference, day in day out.

Do you use UV paint on your dekes, if not, you're not using all that BPS has to offer to make your duck hunting experience better! :grooving:

I would wager the average would be about 50 ducks/geese per year(or less), all species combined :tongue: But I don't have any solid numbers..hence the "I would venture..." statement.
We shoot 150-200 good ducks and geese on average. Some years less, some more. :hi:
Ruddy757
hunter

Postby skimerhorn » Mon Nov 04, 2013 1:46 pm

What kit is good? I found one online for $18 was enough to do two doz. Wasn't sure if there was a good brand to use?
skimerhorn
hunter

Postby Mudgun » Mon Nov 04, 2013 3:40 pm

Seriously, just buy some black flocking from Aero Outdoors and buy a quart of flat black Rustoleum at Lowe's.

They include a 3"x3" piece of sandpaper. I figure most of us have sandpaper or can steal a brillo pad from the OL.

I disagree that the flocking doesn't make a difference. Especially with goose floaters the black is black not muddy gray like on painted decoys and it really does stand out.

Also, if you are going to flock mallard drake heads, you can still use the flat black paint.
NOW WITH MORE 100% MORE VITRIOLIC SARCASM!!!
Mudgun
hunter

Postby Big Iron » Mon Nov 04, 2013 5:33 pm

I like Donjer flocking, google it, you get a pound for like $20. a pound does a ton of heads. Do the lid off the paint trick, put a handful of the flocking in a plastic grocery sack, paint the head, put it in the bag and make like Shake and Bake, pull it out and let it dry. When it dries I spray paint over it in flat black to hold the flocking on better, paint the cheek patch, scrape the stuff off the eyes and the bill. Hunt.

I think the flocking really helps the geese stand out from a longer distance and makes the decoys more noticeable.
Big Iron
hunter

Postby Ruddy757 » Tue Nov 05, 2013 7:56 am

It's all good. If flocking makes you feel better, its all about having confidence in your spread. :thumbsup:
Ruddy757
hunter

Postby swampbilly 1980 » Tue Nov 05, 2013 11:32 am

Ruddy757 wrote:before....unless you're a glutton for punishment :thumbsup:

Nope, just saying that the majority of the crap-o-la sold by Cabela's and BPS is for the hunter's benefit. i.e. HD, 3D camo, super-duper fast steel/tungsten, etc, etc etc. I find it very hard to believe that a flocked head on a goose decoy makes that big of a difference, day in day out.

Do you use UV paint on your dekes, if not, you're not using all that BPS has to offer to make your duck hunting experience better! :grooving:

I would wager the average would be about 50 ducks/geese per year(or less), all species combined :tongue: But I don't have any solid numbers..hence the "I would venture..." statement.
We shoot 150-200 good ducks and geese on average. Some years less, some more. :hi:

Gotcha'!
Yeah, I like holding on to "what has always worked" myself, ( Not that I'm a fuddy duddy, - still use some WW11"old school" camo at times), but do enjoy having some flocked heads on some geese, just think they really enhance a decoy. Have some old Carrylites from the late 70's early 80's and flocked 'em- lv 'em.

Can't say it's made any difference, (other than more pleasing to the eyes ), but can say it sure did make some old decoys look a helluva' lot better.
Swampbilly1980- I got a feeva',..and the only cure is more Mergansers and face paint.
swampbilly 1980
Forum & State Moderator

Postby gooosehunter » Fri Nov 08, 2013 9:18 am

My great grandfather wa flocking blackducks at the turn of the century. It is nothing new. He would rub crushed velvet over wet paint to kill the shine. If you think it works, then do it. You will certainly take pride when you shoot your first goose over the decoys you painted. I have a few flocked heads, but most are just plain old herters and they work too. Good luck and post some photos when you are done.
Cheers
Dave
BACK BAY/PUNGO LOCAL WANNABE
Back Bay Hazardous Sea Conditions Navigation Expert
Back Bay Entitlement & Anti Sunday hunting supporter
Moving to Front Royal, VA to be close to my friends
Don't Take My Blind Whiner/Complainer/Victim & Apparent Homo
gooosehunter
hunter

Postby kahunna » Fri Nov 08, 2013 2:36 pm

Getcha some of those big, block-looking, burnt cork black duck decoys that the old-timers down in Guinea make. Don't need anything more to attract puddle ducks! I do like flocked head/neck goose decoys for standing out better on land or water.
kahunna
hunter

Return to Virginia Duck Hunting