back from heaven

For information on local hunting and meet other hunters here in the Virginia duck hunting forum.

Moderators: swampbilly 1980, fowl mouth, callncut, Ichabod97

back from heaven

Postby lbhansford » Mon Nov 04, 2013 8:47 am

If you guys ever have a chance at making the trip out the the prairie pothole region of NoDak, I highly suggest you do it. Must have seen over a million ducks and equal numbers of geese. pics to follow. shot cans, bluebills, redheads, pintails, mallards, gadwalls, spoonies, teal, coots. Think we ended up with 30 or so birds between the 2 of us for the 4 days we hunted. All freelance.... couple interesting facts:

you can have a shotgun next to you while driving with 2 shells in it as long as action is open and empty. Makes for easy bail and blast on grouse and pheasant.

If its not posted then it is open to public hunting, no asking land owners just hunt. We asked if close by anyways. Miles and miles of public hunting.

People from Minnesota are called blue platers and are loved about as much as we love those from New Jersey.

Its a 28 hour drive from VA and a grueling nonstop roadtrip but very awesome scenery along the way.

made alot of friends and will be going back every year I can.
Attachments
potholeresized.jpg
jakepopupresized.jpg
sunsetstreeter.JPG
foggy1resized.jpg
lbhansford
hunter

Re: back from heaven

Postby skimerhorn » Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:45 am

Sounds like a lot of fun
skimerhorn
hunter

Postby old1neck » Mon Nov 04, 2013 12:39 pm

Where in ND did you hunt?
What time is shooting time?
old1neck
hunter

Postby lbhansford » Mon Nov 04, 2013 1:00 pm

we hunted all around the Gackle area. about 30 miles in every direction. awesome little bar in town called Dani's Place too. We found the most success on potholes and sloughs near big water.
lbhansford
hunter

Postby Ruddy757 » Mon Nov 04, 2013 2:27 pm

Listen, I promise I am not trying to be a punk! I'm trying to make sure this is what you mean to type.

but if you shot 30 birds with two guys in 4 days...that's 7.5 birds per day for both of you, or 3.75 birds per person per day. is this math correct? Don't get me wrong, that's some good stats, but I figured you would have shot more each day? Was it over hunted public land or just late in the season maybe?
Ruddy757
hunter

Postby lbhansford » Mon Nov 04, 2013 3:02 pm

Public land yes, Not like here though. you have to drive around ALOT to scout where birds are going to and from. Put in almost 1200 miles of driving once in North Dakota. first day was balls to the walls awesome, then hit a lull on day two and three, then a big push of birds came in from canada for the last day. Didnt hunt all day everyday. more like 2 hours in the morning, pack up, scout for the next day and then setup in the evening. Its almost overwhelming and you really have to see it to understand it.

By the end of the week we had the place figured out and could have probably had limits in the first hour of each morning for the following week if we had stayed.

We also were passing up shots on buffs, mergs, ruddies, and any other trash ducks after the two coots first morning. Could have had way more kills but was only taking good shots for the most part and being selective after losing a few in the cattail forests they have there.

From all the guys I spoke with that live there, there is a lull in between when the local ducks leave and the canada ducks move down. Was told we were in that lull period, which made me laugh because there were still ducks everywhere. This year's learning will pay big next year. wasted some time experimenting with different spreads and tactics.

cant forget one simple factor that not may people will admit as well..... missed quite a few too. :lol3:
lbhansford
hunter

Postby Dog Tired » Tue Nov 05, 2013 7:48 am

Not to be critical, but to understand a little better maybe, why Gackle? When I look at a map and think ducks, Gackle doesn't stand out in particular to me if I were over ND. His did you guys go about deciding where to go?
Dog Tired
hunter

Postby bcduck » Tue Nov 05, 2013 8:01 am

Dog Tired wrote:Not to be critical, but to understand a little better maybe, why Gackle? When I look at a map and think ducks, Gackle doesn't stand out in particular to me if I were over ND. His did you guys go about deciding where to go?

Looks like to me there are potholes everywhere.....we've been SE of there with less potholes with great success. Also if you are a little "outside" the known name areas you probably have a greater chance of less pressure and more land open to the public not tied up or folks wanting money for you to hunt....as has happened to the SW area of the state for pheasants.
bcduck
hunter

Postby aunt betty » Tue Nov 05, 2013 8:05 am

I'd camp out in the sticks, not drive so much, and stay closer to the ducks. Motels, restaurants, and all that stuff never sets up by the best duck hunting.

sent from my fancy phone that has a really cool kickstand via tapaskwawk
INTERNET CREDIBILITY is...an OXYMORON. :moon:
aunt betty
memberhip was not approved

Postby lbhansford » Tue Nov 05, 2013 8:24 am

we were in the sticks, one bar and 5 houses made up the town. Gackle did have a gas station that was open til 4pm but other town was TINY! no hotels or restaruants where we stayed. were in gackle a couple days and monpelier a couple days. If you look at a plots book you will see why we hunted where we did. Whole town of gackle is in this pic...

gackle.jpg

long story short, we covered from goodrich to Gackle to Montpelier. huge swath of land. Got to where we were supposed to stay our first two days and it was a complete shithole, Wasted half of the first day just driving there. Rundown doublewide that smelled like urine and stains everywhere. COTEAU LODGE... avoid it like the plague. Got our money back about 15 minutes after arriving ,half in a check bc "he didnt have enough cash", only to have the chump put a stop payment on it the following day.... luckily a friend had a free place for us to stay in Gackle hence why we stayed in Gackle for a few days. google Coteau and read the review another person posted last week and it is spot on.

Like i said first year HUGE learning curve. Drive there and freelance it for your first time and you will understand. Completely different world out there. next year it will be a cake walk and probably limits by 8:30am. I am just happy to see the habitat, a bunch of new states that I have never traveled and experience ND first hand, the birds to me are a bonus! Not all about number to me more the memories and time spent with good friends.

Im blaming it on leaving the duck commander seat covers at home.....
lbhansford
hunter

Postby labman63 » Mon Nov 11, 2013 2:31 pm

If half the people that read this go to Gackle then you will have fun finding a spot next yr that someone it's already there. Over on the Nodak page they ask to not post names of towns for that very reason. It's not like here but still if makes it harder for the guys that hunt that area yr after yr and every yr there is more competiton. I have been for the last 6 yrs and there are more hunters every yr. The guy that took me made me promise to not tell where we go and I have not told anyone. We took a guy with us on yr two and told him the same thing. The next yr he came back by himself with his son and two other guys. Yr 4 I saw the two other guys he took out there by themselves with two more guys...see how that works? Just a little friendly advice to protect your hunting spots.
labman63
hunter

Postby skydog » Mon Nov 11, 2013 3:03 pm

labman, I understand where you're coming from but looking at the NoDak map based on what hansford said, he's talking about a stretch of land roughly that of Va, east of I 95. It's not like he's giving out coordinates or honey hole spots.
skydog
hunter

Postby dwaw » Mon Nov 11, 2013 7:56 pm

i've been to gackle. lots of water. definitely "visions of sugar plums" duck wise. my dream duck trip too. good for you!
dwaw
hunter

Postby Big Iron » Mon Nov 11, 2013 8:20 pm

Why would you guys go to ND and hunt water? Ducks land in fields out there.
Big Iron
hunter

Postby NativeGaelGunna » Mon Nov 11, 2013 8:37 pm

Big Iron wrote:Why would you guys go to ND and hunt water? Ducks land in fields out there.

A farmers dry cut field that used to be a pothole isn't natural duck habitat IMO. Shoot the spot he found might not be there in 30 years
Tanks Nayspahegh
NativeGaelGunna
hunter

Postby labman63 » Mon Nov 11, 2013 8:54 pm

Big Iron wrote:Why would you guys go to ND and hunt water? Ducks land in fields out there.

Agree, we have to hunt water here. Field hunting out there is where it's at. Nothing like 400 mallards in a tornado 15 yrds over you head.
labman63
hunter

Postby lbhansford » Tue Nov 12, 2013 12:21 pm

labman63 wrote:If half the people that read this go to Gackle then you will have fun finding a spot next yr that someone it's already there. Over on the Nodak page they ask to not post names of towns for that very reason. It's not like here but still if makes it harder for the guys that hunt that area yr after yr and every yr there is more competiton. I have been for the last 6 yrs and there are more hunters every yr. The guy that took me made me promise to not tell where we go and I have not told anyone. We took a guy with us on yr two and told him the same thing. The next yr he came back by himself with his son and two other guys. Yr 4 I saw the two other guys he took out there by themselves with two more guys...see how that works? Just a little friendly advice to protect your hunting spots.

hey if you pop into GACKLE AREA make sure you say hi to Sara at Dani's Place. she lives off of seasonal dollars as does much of the small towns out there. they love out of towners. Damn said the G word again....

The whole state is one big waterfowl refuge, i find it very hard to believe that you are going to see a WAVE of hunters descend on the state like a flock of snows. matter of fact, you could take a member of the VA forum and put them on a pothole and still not cover the first 5 miles in each direction.

As for your 2x2x2x2....... theory, take any duck hunter to North Dakota and he is returning... dont care who they are. no need to get all protective labman... i took one guy with me and we are going again next year, sounds like you are the one recruiting the duck commanders.

saw alot of birds around jamestown, goodrich and devils lake too....
lbhansford
hunter

Postby lbhansford » Tue Nov 12, 2013 12:29 pm

ducks dont loaf in fields and every other blue plater is hunting the fields... i liked standing in 8 foot tall catails and catching them coming in to take a rest. that ,to me, is waterfowling. taking pop shots into ducknados is too easy....
lbhansford
hunter

Postby labman63 » Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:29 am

I would care if they went somewhere else in the state but the 4th yr I went I saw 3 trucks from the same county I'm from big state huh? More than once I have found a feed and went the next morning and someone else beat us to it. So yes there is competition for good spots. And any idiot can stand in a pothole and shoot a limit of ducks out there.
This is what its all about for me.
labman63
hunter

Postby labman63 » Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:30 am

I would care if they went somewhere else in the state but the 4th yr I went I saw 3 trucks from the same county I'm from big state huh? More than once I have found a feed and went the next morning and someone else beat us to it. So yes there is competition for good spots. And any idiot can stand in a pothole and shoot a limit of ducks out there.
This is what its all about for me.
labman63
hunter

Postby Big Iron » Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:45 am

labman63 wrote: And any idiot can stand in a pothole and shoot a limit of ducks out there.

Apparently not.

Nice pics btw.
Big Iron
hunter

Postby NativeGaelGunna » Wed Nov 13, 2013 12:17 pm

Labman are you seriously bashing standing in the reeds and shooting ducks? :huh:
Hansford spelled it out for you
lbhansford wrote:i liked standing in 8 foot tall catails and catching them coming in to take a rest. that ,to me, is waterfowling. taking pop shots into ducknados is too easy....

Labman you shouldnt call him an idiot for that. It sounded like he set out and did exactly what he wanted to do
labman63 wrote:Field hunting out there is where it's at. Nothing like 400 mallards in a tornado 15 yrds over you head.

An idiot could more easily kill a limit of ducks in a field with a layout blind in the Dakotas than in the water. I know thats a fact and I have never been there. (unless you own a super honey hole of course) You should have just woke up earlier than your fellow North Carolinians. Blow off steam strategizing and hunting, not on a man who enjoys hunting in the reeds :hammer: :crying: :hammer: :hammer:

I wouldnt object to hammering ducks in a field like that. But theres a reason its called waterfowling not fieldfowling :hammer:
Labman probably has his own impoundment back home and he's just mad that when the birds migrate they touch down with the other ducks on the rivers and marshes before his spot (not to say i would object to hunting an impoundment either) :hammer:
Tanks Nayspahegh
NativeGaelGunna
hunter

Postby lbhansford » Wed Nov 13, 2013 12:41 pm

personal preference jackhole... show me a field full of cans, redheads, goldeneyes and bluebills and i'll make it a point check it out next year. mallards and canadas are a dime a dozen out there...like stacking up buffleheads and mergansers here on the bay.if my 7 i went for variety and was pleased with the results.

Not sure why that bothers you so much as it keeps me out the fields. think you are just looking to sound like a bad ash. :bow: :bow: probably why everyone you take goes back by themselves the next year. :yes:

talk all the crap ya want, i had a blast and will be at it again next year.
lbhansford
hunter

Postby Big Iron » Wed Nov 13, 2013 1:30 pm

Hey man, if you drove 1600 miles to North Dakota to shoot sloughs, 2/3's your limit, including coots, spoonies, gadwalls and teal and you are good with that, then it's all :thumbsup:
Big Iron
hunter

Postby lbhansford » Wed Nov 13, 2013 2:03 pm

yep 100% :thumbsup:

:huh: still trying to figure out why you care about what i do on the other side of the country... :huh:
lbhansford
hunter

Next

Return to Virginia Duck Hunting