The Could be date !

For information on local hunting and meet other hunters here in the Virginia duck hunting forum.

Moderators: swampbilly 1980, fowl mouth, Ichabod97, callncut

The Could be date !

Postby LEWDOG » Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:34 pm

I'm not much on change but Nov. 9TH (next Saturday) could have been the start of the Nov. season so it might be smart to spend some time that week watching your hunting grounds for birds (more so then any other week) b/c it very well could come up again the next waterfowl public comment meeting in 2014 .
Write down what you see and come the week of Dec. 7 through 14 do the same thing and you will have the numbers needed to know where to stand .

:wink: LD :smile:
A Market Hunter born 100 years to late
:)/\__________<*)((((>{
The hardest thing a duck hunter in Va. has to do is to Not read more into the blind laws then what is in black and white . Lewdog 1999
http://www.vawfa.org
LEWDOG
hunter

Re: The Could be date !

Postby bowhunter1212 » Tue Nov 05, 2013 7:20 am

I wish I could go right now covered up with ducks !!!!!!!
bowhunter1212
hunter

Postby lbhansford » Tue Nov 05, 2013 7:21 am

Hey just so you know, we saw alot of canadas north of VA stacking into field in Ohio and Penn so it looks like if we can get a nice front to move thru some of those might come down. A WHOLLLLLLEEEEE lot more food around there for them so they might stay put but they could come down soon. Noticed in our drive home that ducks were thick to the north and fizzled as we got closer to VA. DId see quite a few divers on some of the bigger lakes a couple states north but not alot of puddlers.All this was from the passenger or driver seat of the truck cruising down the interstate or some friends I spoke with while on the road.
lbhansford
hunter

Postby KAhunter » Tue Nov 05, 2013 12:28 pm

Why is it going to change? You cant judge what you may see one year as to whether it should move one week one way or another. I like the split between NC and VA. If it aint broke dont fix it.
"If you have to be crazy to be a duck hunter, i dont wish to be sane" Robert Ruark

Its always duck season, there is just a long break from february to september.
KAhunter
hunter

Postby nickp9797 » Tue Nov 05, 2013 1:07 pm

KAhunter wrote:Why is it going to change? Because we miss out on a LOT of ducks between Oct. and early Nov.You cant judge what you may see one year as to whether it should move one week one way or another. It happens every year.I like the split between NC and VA. If it aint broke dont fix it.
Just be honest and say that you like the split because it allows you to hunt an extra week because of the date difference. For people like us that live right next to NC it works out well, but for others not so much.
nickp9797
hunter

Postby KAhunter » Tue Nov 05, 2013 1:13 pm

Thats exactly why i like it. Why does it not work out that well for others?? You have the same amount of days in the season in VA as the other atlantic flyway states. Its not unfair to anyone.
"If you have to be crazy to be a duck hunter, i dont wish to be sane" Robert Ruark

KAhunter
hunter

Postby swampbilly 1980 » Tue Nov 05, 2013 1:22 pm

nickp9797 wrote:
KAhunter wrote:Why is it going to change? Because we miss out on a LOT of ducks between Oct. and early Nov.You cant judge what you may see one year as to whether it should move one week one way or another. It happens every year.I like the split between NC and VA. If it aint broke dont fix it.
Just be honest and say that you like the split because it allows you to hunt an extra week because of the date difference. For people like us that live right next to NC it works out well, but for others not so much.

BOOM!
:lol3: :thumbsup:

Do agree with 'KA however, that 'ya just can't take one season and use it as a benchmark as to what upcoming seasons- might be.
Swampbilly1980- I got a feeva',..and the only cure is more Mergansers and face paint.
swampbilly 1980
Forum & State Moderator

Postby bowhunter1212 » Tue Nov 05, 2013 1:49 pm

Well I can tell you this .I've been chasing ducks for a living for 33 years on 3 different rivers in 3 different parts of Va. We get ducks every year middle to end of Oct, and they leave on the first full moon in Nov. The next big push is not until around christmas. The first 2 weeks in Dec are the worst we have . I have 33 years of log books to back it up. :grooving:
bowhunter1212
hunter

Postby swampbilly 1980 » Tue Nov 05, 2013 2:34 pm

bowhunter1212 wrote:Well I can tell you this .I've been chasing ducks for a living for 33 years on 3 different rivers in 3 different parts of Va. We get ducks every year middle to end of Oct, and they leave on the first full moon in Nov. The next big push is not until around christmas. The first 2 weeks in Dec are the worst we have . I have 33 years of log books to back it up. :grooving:

Mine tells the same story-
Our log books are identical, (with the X-ception of winter 1976 and a few other years) :thumbsup:
:beer:
Swampbilly1980- I got a feeva',..and the only cure is more Mergansers and face paint.
swampbilly 1980
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Islander Gunner » Tue Nov 05, 2013 3:37 pm

We (va hunters) are getting screwed every year, by the same people (majority of the board members and a waterfowl biologist). There was one board member that motioned for a earlier date, but could not get a second to let it come up for a vote. If you think the game dept. is looking in the direction of the duck hunter...well, forget it. All they want ya to do is buy all the licenses and go a couple times(when there are NO ducks) and then give it up for next year. Also why the Black duck season is closed in the early season...STUPID! There's no rhyme or reason for it. Do you think that Marland or North Carolina would change their seasons to be like Va.? Heck NO!! they are more concerned about the waterfowler and having the season in when the birds are moving thru. We (va) waterfowlers are missing flock after flock of ducks each day just so our neighbors to the North or South can capitalize on the migration. In the areas I hunt, we are pass shooting birds as they move down the coast, each flock that passes us right now...will not be back until late January or February. Amen!! :tongue:
We're not down here in the blind playing baby house!
Islander Gunner
hunter

Postby Undrcoverrednek » Tue Nov 05, 2013 6:20 pm

How come dem rich folk don't change the season so they can shoot more ducks? Oh that's right, they are allowed to put water in their corn. Wish I could afford more than putting corn in the water. :eek:
swampbilly 1980 wrote:I'm a poor man, but I'd pay good money to taste some of that juicy white meat...
Undrcoverrednek
hunter

Postby LEWDOG » Tue Nov 05, 2013 9:16 pm

KAhunter wrote: You cant judge what you may see one year as to whether it should move one week one way or another. .

I can't hang with that b/c there are too many waterfowl hunting logs and hunters that keep them to make what you are saying to be true .
Like I said in the starter post , I'm not much on change , But if I do see a ton of ducks between 9 - 15 and only a few between 7 - 14 then I could see a want .

:smile: LD :wink:
The hardest thing a duck hunter in Va. has to do is to Not read more into the blind laws then what is in black and white . Lewdog 1999
LEWDOG
hunter

Postby KAhunter » Wed Nov 06, 2013 6:28 am

LEWDOG wrote:
KAhunter wrote: You cant judge what you may see one year as to whether it should move one week one way or another. .

I can't hang with that b/c there are too many waterfowl hunting logs and hunters that keep them to make what you are saying to be true .
Like I said in the starter post , I'm not much on change , But if I do see a ton of ducks between 9 - 15 and only a few between 7 - 14 then I could see a want .

:smile: LD :wink:

You didnt say lets look at our hunting logs and years past to judge the changes, you said look at two weeks out of the this year and judge the seasons. I was just going off what your OP said. I think that habitat quality, impoundments(mostly just holding a ton of birds that most people dont see) and hunting pressure do play a part in the birds staying here or not. I hate to break it to you but VA and NC arent that far from each other, so most of these birds would stay around longer if the had some good rest areas, prime habitat and no pressure. I think that moves the birds most as they are tired of getting hammered for a couple weeks in November and need to get out of town for somewhere to go and rest and feed. Then you have to wait for the next push of birds.

KAhunter
hunter

Postby LEWDOG » Wed Nov 06, 2013 7:55 am

K you are right I didn't say anything other then for hunters to watch the sky for birds during the 2 weeks in question so one could find what side of the line they should stand on . I could care less which side that might be and really didn't want the thread to be a soapbox for one side over the other . Don't you feel that anyone that goes to the public meeting and makes a comment should have a good idea what would be best for their hunting more so then talking without no idea ?

:huh: LD :smile:
LEWDOG
hunter

Postby skydog » Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:46 am

There are obvisously a lot of personally motivated feelings on the season dates, but looking at it objectively, it's hard to imagine that all our of neighboring states (MD, DE, and NC) are getting it wrong and we're getting it right here. All of these states have seasons that include part of early Nov and all are out the first half of December. Yes, things are different with the migration every year and individual locations vary, but on a statewide aggregate basis, we are most definitely missing out on a lot of birds with our current seasons.
skydog
hunter

Postby KAhunter » Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:00 am

LEWDOG wrote:K you are right I didn't say anything other then for hunters to watch the sky for birds during the 2 weeks in question so one could find what side of the line they should stand on . I could care less which side that might be and really didn't want the thread to be a soapbox for one side over the other . Don't you feel that anyone that goes to the public meeting and makes a comment should have a good idea what would be best for their hunting more so then talking without no idea ?

:huh: LD :smile:

I just dont think going out for two weeks this year would give some a "good idea what would be best". I think more people who are in the know and have studied this over the years should input not just joe schmoe who goes out and sees nothing or goes out and see 15,000 ducks (as seen this week at a refuge in VA). If you are going to change a season significantly, there should be more to it than just public input. The public run on emotions and short sited views. I have seen and fought it (and won) in NC when they tried to shut down the october season. The "public" went to the meetings and cried bc they didnt like duck hunting in NC in October cause it was too buggy and snakey and there werent any ducks. We didnt even know they were trying to shut it down till it was on top of us, and we wrote letters and made calls and they realized most people wanted to keep the season and it went away. I just am leary of big decisions from the few people who actually go to these meetings and voice there opinions, as it usually doesnt represent how the majority feel.
When does this all come up for discussion???

KAhunter
hunter

Postby Salty Ducks » Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:33 am

Birds are moving through every day now and we are missing them. There have been quite a few birds on the move since the first full moon in October. That is not to say that they are to be found in large concentrations in many places in VA. The birds we have coming through now do not stay here - they push right on through in a matter of days in most places. Same for our birds in later November. If you are hunting you will see them - if you aren't they fly by unnoticed. The birds that will stay here and winter are the birds that show up in later December - usually around Christmas. It's unfortunate that our season does not start a little earlier in November so that we could take advantage of the early migration. And having that extra week of split in early December would be nice since our numbers are usually low during that time - plus it would allow our numbers to build with an extra rest week (like NC and MD). And remember, the proposed change for this year that WAS NOT supported by VDGIF was only a shift of one week. It was not a drastic change and was more in-line with our neighboring states. I think many people just panic when a change is proposed. But remember, you can't make something better without trying and if you change something and it doesn't work then you change it back. All I hear is how bad waterfowling is in this state....maybe a slight change would make it just a little better.
Salty Ducks
hunter

Postby adustydawg2 » Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:39 am

KAHunter, thank God now someone wants change. The VDGIF meetings were held in August. We hear the same old same old each year. Everyone wants change but very few hunters show uo to offer their input. Maybe next year you can come and speak or at the least send in your thoughts to VDGIF. Last year about 25 folks showed up which was one of the largest turnouts in years. If you want changes show up and speak your mind. Thanks and look forward to seeing you there. :thumbsup:
adustydawg2
hunter

Postby Big Iron » Wed Nov 06, 2013 1:01 pm

Game and fish places a lot of emphasis on the waterfowl survey, it is unlikely that anything will change until the results of a new one come out.
Big Iron
hunter

Postby KAhunter » Wed Nov 06, 2013 1:04 pm

We will see what happens. I would be interested in going to the meetings this year.

KAhunter
hunter

Postby ipittythefoo » Wed Nov 06, 2013 8:18 pm

When moving the week around was brought up at the meeting, It seemed like the big problem was keeping Tidewater happy vs. the rest of the state. Then there was talk about using zones but the can only split the state when the federal guidelines come up in a few years.
ipittythefoo
hunter

Postby LEWDOG » Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:11 pm

Yep the June & Aug. meeting next year will have a room full (funny I am bringing this here) http://firstforhunters.wordpress.com/2013/10/31/sci-announces-lawsuit-to-recognize-virginias-right-to-hunt-and-drive-repeal-of-ban-on-sunday-hunting/ . Obama was the start of change and now change is coming at us from all sides and when the blind laws go state wide , hunting waterfowl will be something we will read a lot about .

:eek: LD :hammer:
LEWDOG
hunter

Postby top o va » Thu Nov 07, 2013 4:40 am

LEWDOG wrote: coming at us from all sides and when the blind laws go state wide , hunting waterfowl will be something we will read a lot about .

:eek: LD :hammer:

Lew....Blind laws will never be a problem out my way. You ever try to drive a stake into the river bottom of a mountain river...It's impossible. :thumbsup:

As far as season dates. More time in November would not help me. My son and I have been scouting the river and as usual we find some wood ducks but for us we will not have other puddle ducks until we get freezing weather. If DGIF wants to help my situation west of the Blue Ridge, give me more time in October to chase wood ducks and allow goose hunting too.
top o va
hunter

Postby kahunna » Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:54 am

What foo said...zones will be the compromise solution for the state when the USFWS five-year period regulation plan comes up. It is the only way that one geographical area won't be favored over another.
kahunna
hunter

Postby KAhunter » Thu Nov 07, 2013 9:20 am

Zones would be nice!! wish they would do it for NC and push the coastal oct season back some.

KAhunter
hunter

Next

Return to Virginia Duck Hunting