The Could be date !

For information on local hunting and meet other hunters here in the Virginia duck hunting forum.

Moderators: swampbilly 1980, fowl mouth, callncut, Ichabod97

Re: The Could be date !

Postby top o va » Thu Nov 07, 2013 9:38 am

I'd be up for zones, but I seem to remember that idea getting some pushback because folks felt like they would get additional hunter pressure by guys coming into "their" zone when it is open and "others" zones are closed. I've seen a little bit of that in February out my way when goose is closed to the east of us but it hasn't taken away from my hunts.
top o va
hunter

Postby lbhansford » Thu Nov 07, 2013 9:56 am

top o va wrote:
LEWDOG wrote: coming at us from all sides and when the blind laws go state wide , hunting waterfowl will be something we will read a lot about .

:eek: LD :hammer:

Lew....Blind laws will never be a problem out my way. You ever try to drive a stake into the river bottom of a mountain river...It's impossible. :thumbsup:

As far as season dates. More time in November would not help me. My son and I have been scouting the river and as usual we find some wood ducks but for us we will not have other puddle ducks until we get freezing weather. If DGIF wants to help my situation west of the Blue Ridge, give me more time in October to chase wood ducks and allow goose hunting too.

Personally id like to see all blind laws removed on anything that isn't saltwater. already designated lines in place for fishing licenses. all the big clubs sewing huge swaths of shoreline on the rap, potomac, and specifically the james is ridiculous.
lbhansford
hunter

Postby va marsh rat » Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:56 am

Looking good for next week...

.LONG TERM /SATURDAY NIGHT THROUGH WEDNESDAY/...
ZONAL FLOW PREVAILS SATURDAY NIGHT THROUGH MONDAY...WITH A RATHER
UNEVENTFUL FRONTAL PASSAGE LATER SUNDAY. HIGHS SUNDAY SHOULD BE IN
THE MID TO UPPER 60S...WITH 60-65 MONDAY BEHIND THE FRONT. MORNING
LOWS SHOULD RANGE FROM THE MID 30S N/NW...TO MID 40S SE. A STRONGER
COLD FRONT IS EXPECTED TO CROSS THE REGION EARLY TUESDAY...WITH
CANADIAN HIGH PRESSURE BUILDING IN FROM THE NORTH THROUGH MIDWEEK.
CURRENT FORECAST HIGHS ARE GENERALLY IN THE 50S. HOWEVER...THE
LATEST GFS/ECMWF SUGGEST A PERIOD OF OVERRUNNING CLOUD COVER AND
PERHAPS SOME LIGHT RAIN COULD AFFECT THE AREA LATER TUESDAY NIGHT
INTO WEDNESDAY. IF THIS VERIFIES...WEDNESDAY COULD FEATURE THE
COOLEST HIGHS SO FAR THIS FALL.

That last sentence looks good to me.
va marsh rat
hunter

Postby swampbilly 1980 » Thu Nov 07, 2013 12:09 pm

va marsh rat wrote:Looking good for next week...

.LONG TERM /SATURDAY NIGHT THROUGH WEDNESDAY/...
ZONAL FLOW PREVAILS SATURDAY NIGHT THROUGH MONDAY...WITH A RATHER
UNEVENTFUL FRONTAL PASSAGE LATER SUNDAY. HIGHS SUNDAY SHOULD BE IN
THE MID TO UPPER 60S...WITH 60-65 MONDAY BEHIND THE FRONT. MORNING
LOWS SHOULD RANGE FROM THE MID 30S N/NW...TO MID 40S SE. A STRONGER
COLD FRONT IS EXPECTED TO CROSS THE REGION EARLY TUESDAY...WITH
CANADIAN HIGH PRESSURE BUILDING IN FROM THE NORTH THROUGH MIDWEEK.
CURRENT FORECAST HIGHS ARE GENERALLY IN THE 50S. HOWEVER...THE
LATEST GFS/ECMWF SUGGEST A PERIOD OF OVERRUNNING CLOUD COVER AND
PERHAPS SOME LIGHT RAIN COULD AFFECT THE AREA LATER TUESDAY NIGHT
INTO WEDNESDAY. IF THIS VERIFIES...WEDNESDAY COULD FEATURE THE
COOLEST HIGHS SO FAR THIS FALL.

That last sentence looks good to me.

Plus- an incoming tide that mornin'. Yaaay. :grooving: :banana:
Swampbilly1980- I got a feeva',..and the only cure is more Mergansers and face paint.
swampbilly 1980
Forum & State Moderator

Postby skydog » Thu Nov 07, 2013 12:26 pm

Weather graphics next week are showing snow showers on Thursday, although they're also showing temps in the high 40s so I don't know about that one :no: :rolleyes: . But looks like temps to our north next week might actually be cold enough for some snow. Either way, it's looking like the season could start off with much better prospects than we've had the past couple years.
skydog
hunter

Postby Tangier Island Slacker » Thu Nov 07, 2013 12:51 pm

top o va wrote:I'd be up for zones, but I seem to remember that idea getting some pushback because folks felt like they would get additional hunter pressure by guys coming into "their" zone when it is open and "others" zones are closed. I've seen a little bit of that in February out my way when goose is closed to the east of us but it hasn't taken away from my hunts.

That one nicks me off the most-

"We've got so many birds out of season that it really breaks my heart that we can't shoot them. And they're just pushing through, not staying here, so they're unfamiliar with the safe spots and easier to hunt. Shouldn't be a big deal to move the season one week, even though most west and north of Richmond don't want it. But a 10% increase in pressure that might occur with zones during our precious early November week is unacceptable."

How ridiculous. Seasons that are staggered in relation to our neighbors means more opportunities for all, a good many people need to start thinking about how to expand their own reach instead of worrying so much about what others may "take" from them. I hope you SE guys get what you want, but the way it's been handled so far leaves a lot to be desired.
Tangier Island Slacker
hunter

Postby nickp9797 » Thu Nov 07, 2013 1:51 pm

Tangier Island Slacker wrote:
top o va wrote:I'd be up for zones, but I seem to remember that idea getting some pushback because folks felt like they would get additional hunter pressure by guys coming into "their" zone when it is open and "others" zones are closed. I've seen a little bit of that in February out my way when goose is closed to the east of us but it hasn't taken away from my hunts.

"We've got so many birds out of season that it really breaks my heart that we can't shoot them. And they're just pushing through, not staying here, so they're unfamiliar with the safe spots and easier to hunt. Shouldn't be a big deal to move the season one week, even though most west and north of Richmond don't want it. But a 10% increase in pressure that might occur with zones during our precious early November week is unacceptable."

How ridiculous. Seasons that are staggered in relation to our neighbors means more opportunities for all, a good many people need to start thinking about how to expand their own reach instead of worrying so much about what others may "take" from them. I hope you SE guys get what you want, but the way it's been handled so far leaves a lot to be desired.

I knew we never should have allowed internet access in the mountains.
nickp9797
hunter

Postby Salty Ducks » Fri Nov 08, 2013 6:06 am

First swans of the year were flying through last night. Would be nice to be gunning in the morning :sad:
Salty Ducks
hunter

Postby top o va » Fri Nov 08, 2013 7:12 am

Salty Ducks wrote:First swans of the year were flying through last night. Would be nice to be gunning in the morning :sad:

There is no doubt in my mind that you guys in the SE and on the Eastern Shore have good numbers of birds right now and I think you should be able to hunt this weekend. All things being equal, the conversations I've had with folks that hunt the NW portion of the state would like some slightly different dates.
top o va
hunter

Postby lbhansford » Fri Nov 08, 2013 7:36 am

yep me and fowlmouth saw a jag of swans yesterday evening heading south. Dont worry guys like most birds they just flew rigth over the state and will touch down in NC so no date change on their account :thumbsup:
lbhansford
hunter

Postby Ruddy757 » Fri Nov 08, 2013 7:40 am

Says teh guy who complains about not wanting to have to choose between muzzleloader deer hunting or ducks. That is what you said in a thread not to long ago right? Maybve you need to look outsid eyour own reach. Aren't you saying here that you are worried about what us evil SE guys want to "take" from you? hypocrisy at it finest.
Ruddy757
hunter

Postby Salty Ducks » Fri Nov 08, 2013 7:41 am

Top O - Hope you are doing well!! I certainly understand and everyone should have a voice! I will say that though that some birds have shown up on my families farm out that way. My father in-law said they were starting to fly pretty good a couple weeks ago. I doubt the rivers are holding any birds and likely won't until the farm ponds start freezing pretty good. I need to give ole' SouthFork a call although I know he has been after the meat recently. Hope you have a good season!
Salty Ducks
hunter

Postby LEWDOG » Fri Nov 08, 2013 8:09 am

Change the floating blind license to county and zoning ...... nope wouldn't work , leave it as it is and everyone has it almost the right start date . Hunting pushes birds South so birds up North will be pushed down to us this week and come next week we will push them on down the line . If anyone had a reason to hate our start date it would be the hunters of NC. b/c they are the ones not getting a push of birds from Va. .
Now throw in the weather into this mix and all any hunter in any state can do is pray it hits there hunting grounds when they are on it hunting .
No one said anything about that link I posted in the 1ST page but throw in Sunday hunting where our 60 days covers less of the 4 month time frame by some 9 to 10 days .
I don't know about y'all but to much change at one time can be a bad thing for me .

:smile: LD :huh:
A Market Hunter born 100 years to late
:)/\__________<*)((((>{
The hardest thing a duck hunter in Va. has to do is to Not read more into the blind laws then what is in black and white . Lewdog 1999
http://www.vawfa.org
LEWDOG
hunter

Postby Tangier Island Slacker » Fri Nov 08, 2013 10:21 am

Nope, my concern is very different. I want everyone to get what's best for them, and believe that running a duck season concurrent with the rut puts those of us who do both in a bad spot. But if there is enough support among guys in Tidewater to move the season anyways, then --as I've said a dozen or more times-- I hope they get it moved. But those of us west and north of Richmond (or so) really have no desire dor more days in November, so something of a consensus has developed around zones that would allow ror guys in both regions to be happy. But there are a few vocal souls in Tidewater who are pushing back on that because they think a teeny tiny increase in hunters numbers would negatively impact their hunting over that 6-day stretch.

I want what I want (zones in a couple years) because I'm all for the most getting the best opportunities, they want what they do (season moved right now for all, wishes of hunters in other regions be damned) because it's best for them. It's a huge, definitive difference.

Ruddy757 wrote:

Says teh guy who complains about not wanting to have to choose between muzzleloader deer hunting or ducks. That is what you said in a thread not to long ago right? Maybve you need to look outsid eyour own reach. Aren't you saying here that you are worried about what us evil SE guys want to "take" from you? hypocrisy at it finest.
Tangier Island Slacker
hunter

Postby Tangier Island Slacker » Fri Nov 08, 2013 10:50 am

Salty Ducks wrote:Top O - Hope you are doing well!! I certainly understand and everyone should have a voice! I will say that though that some birds have shown up on my families farm out that way. My father in-law said they were starting to fly pretty good a couple weeks ago. I doubt the rivers are holding any birds and likely won't until the farm ponds start freezing pretty good. I need to give ole' SouthFork a call although I know he has been after the meat recently. Hope you have a good season!

We were covered in mallards for just 2 days several weekends ago, the only birds I've seen in the last 5 or 6 scouting trips was half a dozen gadwalls one time. That's it. Silver Lake is blank, Lake Shen, RMH retainment ponds, big rivers, JMU... all empty of ducks for several weeks now, and the ponds aren't any better.

Your in-laws waved me down the other day, were excited to see a WDC sticker on a truck in these parts. Stop in the next time you're up here, this silly mess certainly doesn't rise to the level of being personal.
Tangier Island Slacker
hunter

Postby skydog » Fri Nov 08, 2013 10:57 am

I think the season dates are just the VDGIF's way of telling us that we'd be better of spending the first half of November in the deer woods than we would be chasing the no ducks in VA...can't say I disagree with them.
skydog
hunter

Postby va marsh rat » Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:22 am

To solve the zones puzzle, what if you had to buy a specific license for each zone, and could not buy more than one. This would cut down on the amount of guys hopping to a different zone when their zone is out of season. Big fine for hunting in a zone without that zone's license. It's not a perfect system, because it would screw guys that hunt in multiple zones zones or guys who live on the border of such a zone. They'd lose out because they could only pick 1 zone. Like I said, it's not perfect, there would be some losers, but it's an idea perhaps to build upon. Maybe split the state in 3 zones and allow you to hunt in 2/3 in a given year?

I'll be hunting in piedmont NC this weekend; I'll let y'all know what I see. I'll also be out on the water at lst all next week before work to scout and see what's around. Granted I hunt in tidewater so my observations won't help convince any westerners.
va marsh rat
hunter

Postby Tangier Island Slacker » Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:35 am

Different licenses for different zones is a bad idea, and not being able to buy more than one is beyond ridiculous. Just suck it up and deal with the tiny increase in hunting pressure. It's what those of us in the west do during February, and what they do in every state that already has zones (and there are a bunch of them). If there really are so many fresh birds moving through, sharing the marsh with 20 guys instead of 18 won't make any difference at all.
Tangier Island Slacker
hunter

Postby nickp9797 » Fri Nov 08, 2013 1:38 pm

Don't worry, we have blind laws to keep yall out.
nickp9797
hunter

Postby va marsh rat » Fri Nov 08, 2013 2:05 pm

TIS, I'm not saying that's what should be done, but if DGIF was concerned about potential pressure increases, that might be one way to address it. Plus, I added the caveat that perhaps multiple, but not all zone licenses could be purchased, as a way to allow mobility but maybe still limit pressure. I don't really have a dog in such a fight because I just hunt one area

Speaking of pressure resulting from zones, is it really even an issue? Do we have significant east-west migration of birds? I'd guess that any pressure in any given area probably pushes birds south, not necessarily east or west into a different zone.
va marsh rat
hunter

Postby top o va » Fri Nov 08, 2013 2:07 pm

nickp9797 wrote:Don't worry, we have blind laws to keep yall out.

We have a winner!!!
top o va
hunter

Postby top o va » Fri Nov 08, 2013 2:12 pm

va marsh rat wrote:TIS, I'm not saying that's what should be done, but if DGIF was concerned about potential pressure increases, that might be one way to address it. Plus, I added the caveat that perhaps multiple, but not all zone licenses could be purchased, as a way to allow mobility but maybe still limit pressure. I don't really have a dog in such a fight because I just hunt one area

Speaking of pressure resulting from zones, is it really even an issue? Do we have significant east-west migration of birds? I'd guess that any pressure in any given area probably pushes birds south, not necessarily east or west into a different zone.

More licenses and fees is not the answer to anything. DGIF could give two shakes about additional hunting pressure. Some waterfowl hunters expressed concern about additional hunting pressure in their "zone" if all others are closed.

We are not seeing birds migrating east to west in February. What we are saying is the Resident Goose Zone is open later than all other zones therefore a small number of hunters from the east are migrating out to hunt said goozes in the west.
top o va
hunter

Postby kahunna » Fri Nov 08, 2013 2:49 pm

Salty - Swans also seen migrating south yesterday afternoon on the N Neck. Watched a half-dozen groups of 30-50 heading through over a two hour period.
Like I said on page 1, I think zones will be (and is) the answer, but you know VDGIF is going to do the survey research before making a change in the next USFWS plan-change period in a couple of years. Matter of fact, they are already doing it casually now.
One interesting thing that nobody has mentioned is that both Maryland (to our north) and North Carolina (to our south) are having duck seasons starting tomorrow (Nov. 9th). North Carolina is also having a Canada goose season in some zones, and also had their four-day wood duck season a week and a half earlier than ours.
kahunna
hunter

Postby recoil slinger » Fri Nov 08, 2013 4:51 pm

its a warden thing. they cant cover it all :thumbsup:
Drank some of daves koolaid, and cant stop looking in the mirror.
vice president of back bay blind retrieval association.
beast mode on
recoil slinger
hunter

Postby NativeGaelGunna » Sat Nov 09, 2013 1:13 pm

It is interesting to think about at each individuals own spot... "If I could set the dates for this season or the next...

Happy thoughts of feathers. I think that we can't predict the weather but we do know a general window when the first birds, the very first groups, get to our old spots every year. To me seeing the first groups of black ducks is the signal. My brain focused on construction simply switches, no more noise nothing, just me and the birds, and then its over. Once your buddies notice, same thing. Working on a blind when its windy and ducky is always exciting. They fly less wearily yet still deliberately, even though they're tired, even with horses standing on boat hides. I like black ducks, but I've seriously committed to only shooting Yellow ones. I wouldn't want to shoot any of those first fall flocks but that just me. As for calendar birds, I don't trust it anymore. To me calendar ducks (other than black ducks, because they mark the gathering), resinate with Aflac and the farmers almanac. I cant remember when the last arctic blast really was. I just hope the wind makes ripples go bc I love it
Tanks Nayspahegh
NativeGaelGunna
hunter

PreviousNext

Return to Virginia Duck Hunting