The Could be date !

For information on local hunting and meet other hunters here in the Virginia duck hunting forum.

Moderators: swampbilly 1980, Ichabod97, callncut, fowl mouth

Re: The Could be date !

Postby LEWDOG » Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:26 am

3 bluebird days in a row isn't a good start, but snow tomorrow ?

:no: LD :thumbsup:
A Market Hunter born 100 years to late
:)/\__________<*)((((>{
The hardest thing a duck hunter in Va. has to do is to Not read more into the blind laws then what is in black and white . Lewdog 1999
http://www.vawfa.org
LEWDOG
hunter

Postby Ruddy757 » Mon Nov 11, 2013 7:36 pm

Tangier Island Slacker wrote:Different licenses for different zones is a bad idea, and not being able to buy more than one is beyond ridiculous. Just suck it up and deal with the tiny increase in hunting pressure. It's what those of us in the west do during February, and what they do in every state that already has zones (and there are a bunch of them). If there really are so many fresh birds moving through, sharing the marsh with 20 guys instead of 18 won't make any difference at all.

We aren't concerned about competition from hilljacks.
Ruddy757
hunter

Postby Salty Ducks » Tue Nov 12, 2013 5:31 am

Your in-laws waved me down the other day, were excited to see a WDC sticker on a truck in these parts. Stop in the next time you're up here, this silly mess certainly doesn't rise to the level of being personal.

Absolutely - Good possibility I will be up there in the next couple of weeks. I will stop in.
Salty Ducks
hunter

Postby va marsh rat » Tue Nov 12, 2013 11:03 am

Wish I could be out there today and tomorrow. Too bad it's gonna warm up and calm down by Saturday.
va marsh rat
hunter

Postby LEWDOG » Thu Nov 14, 2013 9:24 am

I will say this weather sure shows that Tidewater 8 cities stands more with NE NC then with the rest of this state . Then too one could add Eastern shore to that zone as well . Newport News, Hampton, and Poquoson could go either way . I can see having a coastal zone and starting their season a week before the rest of Va. , I don't think hunter North and West of that zone would go to hunt in that zone other than to do a won quota hunt due to no hunt-able spots or wide open marshes of ES.
I might add that tidewater weather and Middle Peninsula weather has been different my whole life during the fall and winter. Things like ice and snow , Ice works from North to South but our worst snows come from the South .
Now that this week is almost over I'll stand on the side of keeping the season as it is , but if tidewater wants a zone with a week early season , give it to them .

:hammer: LD :hammer:
The hardest thing a duck hunter in Va. has to do is to Not read more into the blind laws then what is in black and white . Lewdog 1999
LEWDOG
hunter

Postby Have Gun Will Travel » Thu Nov 14, 2013 9:58 am

You dont think guys would drive 1-4 hours to duck hunt in an "open zone"?
adustydawg2 wrote: maybe, just maybe, if you held your mouth right and prayed a little, you might get a 1 day invite before the end of the season. :eek: :hammer: Just a possibility. :bow: Send me a pm. :hi:
Have Gun Will Travel
hunter

Postby LEWDOG » Thu Nov 14, 2013 10:57 am

For my answer I need to drop ES out of the zone with the Open Season (or as you put it open zone) . I think there will be some that will try to hunt the open zone but b/c of blind laws and the lost world of BB quota hunts only , I think all they will find they can legally hunt is rag island and give up the ghost . Now if they did a zone say in the Eastern & Western shore area of the bay that comes in a week before the rest of the state , you and I wouldn't be able to shoot a gun without hitting someone from the hills .
Lets not forget that I stand with no change with Va. waterfowl splits , which includes not hunting Sundays , I hope I have cleared things up for you .
Good Luck to all come Saturday !!!

LEWDOG
hunter

Postby KAhunter » Tue Dec 10, 2013 1:12 pm

Do yall still wish this week was out and the season didnt start till saturday??
"If you have to be crazy to be a duck hunter, i dont wish to be sane" Robert Ruark

Its always duck season, there is just a long break from february to september.
KAhunter
hunter

Postby skydog » Tue Dec 10, 2013 1:31 pm

Personally, I'm seeing fewer birds this week than I have all season...doesn't make much sense based on what the weather has been doing up North, but might just be that my duck holes are pretty bad this year.
skydog
hunter

Postby KAhunter » Tue Dec 10, 2013 2:36 pm

Everyone i have talked to is doing very well saturday thorugh today. Lots of new birds and birds being killed. I know if Carolina was in I would have hunted all day sat, monday and tuesday.
"If you have to be crazy to be a duck hunter, i dont wish to be sane" Robert Ruark

KAhunter
hunter

Postby fowl mouth » Tue Dec 10, 2013 3:12 pm

Im with sky dog, this week I have seen less than all season. They must be in NC. I have seen bluebills and butterballs but that is all. Puddle ducks are MIA. Also my holes that usually held local ducks are empty. Tells me they migrated on with the storms. Busting out the layout this week. :grooving:
Liberty '14-Broadcasting/Digital Media
DUCKHILL BEAU
What a man will do for a duck
#SOMEDUCKSINVA
fowl mouth
State Moderator

Postby black_duck » Tue Dec 10, 2013 3:13 pm

Whats the report in Virginia? Many birds around? Im from NC and am just trying to figure out whats North of us.
black_duck
hunter

Postby Ducks27 » Tue Dec 10, 2013 3:37 pm

90% mergansers, crows, and sea gulls oh and a couple goose
Ducks27
hunter

Postby Big Iron » Tue Dec 10, 2013 6:01 pm

black_duck wrote:Whats the report in Virginia? Many birds around? Im from NC and am just trying to figure out whats North of us.

I heard that Back Bay is just loaded with redheads, cans, blues, and rudds. Just tie out a rig and start hunting.
Big Iron
hunter

Postby kahunna » Tue Dec 10, 2013 6:21 pm

A billion (well, maybe several thousand) new geese in my neighborhood this week...most appeared Sunday and Monday. Some Central Virginia swamp/beaver swamp ducks may have been frozen out/moved on in early December, based on what a couple of buddies saw this am. On the other hand, ****ing poachers may have run them out over Thanksgiving!
kahunna
hunter

Postby recoil slinger » Tue Dec 10, 2013 6:35 pm

Edited by Moderator

Dep6

No name calling gentlemen, they both got a week off for it. Keep it civil please.
Drank some of daves koolaid, and cant stop looking in the mirror.
vice president of back bay blind retrieval association.
beast mode on
recoil slinger
hunter

Postby LEWDOG » Tue Dec 10, 2013 10:19 pm

There is no such thing as a bad day of duck hunting and this year Va. has birds .

LEWDOG
hunter

Postby KAhunter » Wed Dec 11, 2013 6:26 am

fowl mouth wrote:Im with sky dog, this week I have seen less than all season. They must be in NC. I have seen bluebills and butterballs but that is all. Puddle ducks are MIA. Also my holes that usually held local ducks are empty. Tells me they migrated on with the storms. Busting out the layout this week. :grooving:

No hunting in NC right now. Opens saturday. The reports i have heard are very good. Public land and private land.

KAhunter
hunter

Postby Big Iron » Wed Dec 11, 2013 7:08 am

Edited by Moderator

Dep6
Big Iron
hunter

Postby lbhansford » Wed Dec 11, 2013 8:15 am

fowl mouth wrote:Im with sky dog, this week I have seen less than all season. They must be in NC. I have seen bluebills and butterballs but that is all. Puddle ducks are MIA. Also my holes that usually held local ducks are empty. Tells me they migrated on with the storms. Busting out the layout this week. :grooving:

They're not local ducks if they migrate :hammer:
lbhansford
hunter

Postby TaylorMann1 » Wed Dec 11, 2013 9:26 am

I've been shooting wood ducks all year, Started killing a few mallards about 3 weeks ago. Hunted Monday only saw two mallards and about 15 woodies much less numbers than I have been seeing most of the year. I really thought numbers would be up considering the weather up north. :huh:
TaylorMann1
hunter

Postby fowl mouth » Wed Dec 11, 2013 10:40 am

lbhansford wrote:

They're not local ducks if they migrate :hammer:

This is false sir. A local duck will leave. Same way the locals leave canada :thumbsup: :wink:

How do you think these guys who do local bandings (in summer mind you) get people who shoot their birds a couple hours (or states) south of them. Cause the locals get pushed down with weather. Or pick up with migrators and head on to greener pastures. Im telling you it happens. Not saying all of them will do it but I guarantee some. I do think geese will pretty much stay no matter what though. Just my opinion from my days afield :hi:
Liberty '14-Broadcasting/Digital Media
DUCKHILL BEAU
What a man will do for a duck
#SOMEDUCKSINVA
fowl mouth
State Moderator

Postby lbhansford » Wed Dec 11, 2013 12:02 pm

i can see the concept just never seen our locally raised ducks leave town. they usually dont even leave the creek. not saying you are wrong though. furtherest ive seen a local go is from Kings Mill to James city county/New Kent line
lbhansford
hunter

Postby Have Gun Will Travel » Wed Dec 11, 2013 7:00 pm

Killed a banded black duck once that was banded in Kiptopeake and shot in Chincoteague months later. It what he diserved for flying north in the winter.
adustydawg2 wrote: maybe, just maybe, if you held your mouth right and prayed a little, you might get a 1 day invite before the end of the season. :eek: :hammer: Just a possibility. :bow: Send me a pm. :hi:
Have Gun Will Travel
hunter

Postby LEWDOG » Thu Dec 12, 2013 12:17 am

ICE can move mountains and ducks don't let their feet freeze while they can fly.

LEWDOG
hunter

Previous

Return to Virginia Duck Hunting