Upper Mattaponi

For information on local hunting and meet other hunters here in the Virginia duck hunting forum.

Moderators: swampbilly 1980, Ichabod97, callncut, fowl mouth

Upper Mattaponi

Postby Green5 » Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:49 am

New to the forum and relatively new to hunting. I have family who owns land on the mattaponi river a few miles east of aylett. I was wondering if it would be worthwhile to check into hunting there/building a blind. Or maybe do some field hunting for geese. I'm not sure how much waterfowl is usually in the area because I usually go to the eastern shore when I hunt waterfowl. Any advice from people who know the area would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Green5
hunter

Re: Upper Mattaponi

Postby recoil slinger » Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:53 am

Green5 wrote:New to the forum and relatively new to hunting. I have family who owns land on the mattaponi river a few miles east of aylett. I was wondering if it would be worthwhile to check into hunting there/building a blind. Or maybe do some field hunting for geese. I'm not sure how much waterfowl is usually in the area because I usually go to the eastern shore when I hunt waterfowl. Any advice from people who know the area would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

then go scout the sob...for heavens sake :fingerpt:
Drank some of daves koolaid, and cant stop looking in the mirror.
vice president of back bay blind retrieval association.
beast mode on
recoil slinger
hunter

Postby Green5 » Wed Nov 06, 2013 12:03 pm

Haha classic reply. I am planning on scouting it. Like everyone else I have difficulty getting there because of time restraints, mainly because I'm still in college. I wasn't expecting anyone to do the hard work for me, I was just curious if a lot of luck has been had In the past in the area.

Sorry for the question.

On another note, the forum has been a wealth of knowledge in general. I've enjoyed reading everyone's posts.

Thanks
Green5
hunter

Postby recoil slinger » Wed Nov 06, 2013 12:04 pm

Green5 wrote:Haha classic reply. I am planning on scouting it. Like everyone else I have difficulty getting there because of time restraints, mainly because I'm still in college. I wasn't expecting anyone to do the hard work for me, I was just curious if a lot of luck has been had In the past in the area.

Sorry for the question.

On another note, the forum has been a wealth of knowledge in general. I've enjoyed reading everyone's posts.

Thanks

pm mudgun
Drank some of daves koolaid, and cant stop looking in the mirror.
vice president of back bay blind retrieval association.
beast mode on
recoil slinger
hunter

Postby swampbilly 1980 » Wed Nov 06, 2013 12:05 pm

Green5 wrote:New to the forum and relatively new to hunting. I have family who owns land on the mattaponi river a few miles east of aylett. I was wondering if it would be worthwhile to check into hunting there/building a blind. Or maybe do some field hunting for geese. I'm not sure how much waterfowl is usually in the area because I usually go to the eastern shore when I hunt waterfowl. Any advice from people who know the area would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

:welcome: Welcome Green :hi:

ANY place left on the planet that you've got permission to hunt is worthwhile :thumbsup:

Have fished and hunted up that way, and if it were me, I'd have a blind there regardless of what anyone tells 'ya.
It's a place to hunt.
:beer:
Swampbilly1980- I got a feeva',..and the only cure is more Mergansers and face paint.
swampbilly 1980
Forum & State Moderator

Postby skydog » Wed Nov 06, 2013 12:59 pm

swampbilly 1980 wrote:

:welcome: Welcome Green :hi:

ANY place left on the planet that you've got permission to hunt is worthwhile :thumbsup:

Have fished and hunted up that way, and if it were me, I'd have a blind there regardless of what anyone tells 'ya.
It's a place to hunt.
:beer:

^^What he said :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
skydog
hunter

Postby KAhunter » Wed Nov 06, 2013 1:05 pm

Get some bamboo poles or cheap wood and cut some pines and give it a try on shore. Oepn water is more investement. Thats the only way you will ever really know.
"If you have to be crazy to be a duck hunter, i dont wish to be sane" Robert Ruark

Its always duck season, there is just a long break from february to september.
KAhunter
hunter

Postby skimerhorn » Wed Nov 06, 2013 1:14 pm

There is a guy that does guided hunts down that way named chip Watkins, he own manquin creek outfitters. If its got enough for a guide to take people I'm sure its a decent area.
skimerhorn
hunter

Postby petrel » Wed Nov 06, 2013 1:21 pm

I know that the white shad sometimes make a good push through there in the spring. Otherwise, like the others said...slap something up and give it a try. Best of Luck!
petrel
hunter

Postby Green5 » Wed Nov 06, 2013 3:02 pm

Thanks for the replies guys. I've never put up a blind before but I'm going to see if a few friends will help me who know what they're doing. Should be interesting!
Green5
hunter

Postby imaduckin up north » Wed Nov 06, 2013 6:16 pm

theres no ducks on the mattaponi :no:
,IS IT DUCK SEASON YET
THERE AINT NO DUCKS IN VA, dicks sporting goods told me so
you can educate ignorance
you can medicate crazy
but you cant fix stupid
imaduckin up north
hunter

Postby gooshntr » Wed Nov 06, 2013 6:19 pm

If you're in school and can't find time to go scout a property that you already have permission to hunt you'll never find time for anything once you graduate. I would kill to be able to hunt as much as I did in school. Please take advantage of the time you have now as you'll regret it one day if you don't.

If I could do it over again I would have applied to colleges in a better flyway. I can't imagine what it would have been like to spend 4 years somewhere that actually has ducks.
gooshntr
hunter

Postby Green5 » Wed Nov 06, 2013 7:20 pm

gooshntr wrote:If you're in school and can't find time to go scout a property that you already have permission to hunt you'll never find time for anything once you graduate. I would kill to be able to hunt as much as I did in school. Please take advantage of the time you have now as you'll regret it one day if you don't.

If I could do it over again I would have applied to colleges in a better flyway. I can't imagine what it would have been like to spend 4 years somewhere that actually has ducks.

I agree that it's be easier now than it will be again. Definitely cherishing my last year of school and looking forward to the last Thanksgiving/Winter breaks that i'll be having for the next 40 years. The property just isn't within a quick driving distance of school and with the golf team taking up most fall weekends its hard to get there to scout. But I'm definitely taking advantage of my free time! Just not too frequently with hunting
Green5
hunter

Postby blackjacks » Thu Nov 07, 2013 9:02 am

I've hunted near there before. Shot some wood ducks, shovler, and geese. Saw mallards, pintail, and swan.
blackjacks
hunter

Postby fowled out » Tue Nov 12, 2013 5:49 am

Could be worth while. I know a few that do ok down there. Just depends on what part you are on.
living the dream..........maybe not mine....but it works.
fowled out
hunter

Return to Virginia Duck Hunting