TRYING A NEW TO ME GUIDE AT CHINCOTEAGUE

For information on local hunting and meet other hunters here in the Virginia duck hunting forum.

Moderators: swampbilly 1980, fowl mouth, callncut, Ichabod97

TRYING A NEW TO ME GUIDE AT CHINCOTEAGUE

Postby bass_hunter » Fri Nov 08, 2013 4:47 pm

I booked dec.28th & 29th with chincoteague hunting & fishing center for me and 3 of my friends. They were highly recommended by a friend of a friend. Was told to ask for Capt. Matt Mason for the guide. Hope it's one of these :grooving: and not one of these :no:
( AIN'T NO DUCKS IN VIRGINIA )
President of the Si Robertson fan club
bass_hunter
hunter

Re: TRYING A NEW TO ME GUIDE AT CHINCOTEAGUE

Postby recoil slinger » Fri Nov 08, 2013 4:58 pm

if birds r there
Drank some of daves koolaid, and cant stop looking in the mirror.
vice president of back bay blind retrieval association.
beast mode on
recoil slinger
hunter

Postby imaduckin up north » Fri Nov 08, 2013 7:50 pm

i wish you the best of luck old friend, and while youre there kill some buffies for me lol :thumbsup:
,IS IT DUCK SEASON YET
THERE AINT NO DUCKS IN VA, dicks sporting goods told me so
you can educate ignorance
you can medicate crazy
but you cant fix stupid
imaduckin up north
hunter

Postby Big Iron » Sat Nov 09, 2013 5:21 am

Do a search here and on the Refuge. Unless they have changed their ways, not the best reputation.
Big Iron
hunter

Postby bass_hunter » Sat Nov 09, 2013 6:22 am

I talked to a friend of a friend that turned me on to this guide that he hunts with every year. He guaranteed it would be the best hunt up there. Guess i'll see. All depends on the weather.
bass_hunter
hunter

Postby imaduckin up north » Mon Nov 11, 2013 5:14 pm

let me know how you do cause im goin early jan
,IS IT DUCK SEASON YET
you can medicate crazy
but you cant fix stupid
imaduckin up north
hunter

Postby BigMac2010 » Tue Dec 31, 2013 4:08 pm

Hey Basshunter! Can we have an update on the chincoteaguebuffieblast? I'm hunting there saturday! Thanks
BigMac2010
hunter

Postby bass_hunter » Tue Dec 31, 2013 7:38 pm

I learned alot about planning a hunt there. First thing you need to do is plan a hunt with the tide starting in about 3 am. (Guide couldn't get us to the best places where the ducks were because of the low tide in the morning.) Second thing is if you like oysters take a heavy pair of gloves and a oyster knife. Third if you think anything of your dog and her pads leave them at home. Take a first aid kit so when you cut the crap out of your trigger finger picking up oysters and your dog lays open her pad you have bandages and can stop the bleeding ( which i did ). We had the opportunity to take all the blacks we wanted at first lite each day. The rest of the day was all the buffy's and hairy heads you wanted to waste shells on. Brant were not there. Refuge was not loaded. It had a few pintails , wigeons,mallards,shovelers and a few Canadas. snows were rafted on the ocean by the thousands. Capt. Matt Mason ( our Guide ) Did all he could do to get us on ducks.It's like everywhere. If the back water is froze up its going to put the ducks on the open water.And i do recommend the Holiday cottages as a place to stay. If anyone want's more info feel free to pm me.
bass_hunter
hunter

Postby BigMac2010 » Tue Dec 31, 2013 10:10 pm

thanks for the intel! Limits of buffies here we come, doh!
BigMac2010
hunter

Postby bass_hunter » Wed Jan 01, 2014 7:51 pm

Let us know how you do. With it being in the teens friday nite maybe it will help your hunt. I hunted the james for the 3rd time this yr. today. And for the 3rd time i came home with all the shells i took with me. The ducks that were there 3 wks ago are gone. Then i seen over 100 ducks. Today i didn't see 10.
bass_hunter
hunter

Postby BigMac2010 » Wed Jan 01, 2014 9:00 pm

Will do. By the way, did you bring your own robo ducks?
BigMac2010
hunter

Postby bass_hunter » Thu Jan 02, 2014 7:41 am

No i didn't. I did take a doz goose floaters because i heard they had a lot of geese. They must have left before we got there. Take them and try it. I don't use them where i hunt. Tryed it years ago. Only ran them off.
bass_hunter
hunter

Postby Have Gun Will Travel » Thu Jan 02, 2014 8:27 am

BigMac2010 wrote:Hey Basshunter! Can we have an update on the chincoteaguebuffieblast? I'm hunting there saturday! Thanks

Bring a good book. Unless Fridays weather changes things for us the past 3 weeks have been the worst hunting Ive seen in 23 years. I havent even seen a black duck on the bay in over a week. Saw a total of 8 puddle ducks in two hunts yesterday and the day before.
I havent seen the first brant this year. We do have geese if you're in the right place. Saw some new migrating snows this morning. Thats about it.....
adustydawg2 wrote: maybe, just maybe, if you held your mouth right and prayed a little, you might get a 1 day invite before the end of the season. :eek: :hammer: Just a possibility. :bow: Send me a pm. :hi:
Have Gun Will Travel
hunter

Postby BigMac2010 » Fri Jan 03, 2014 7:43 am

That's great news! :fingerhead:

But really, i hope that at least Bill's Seafood restaurant is good. . .
BigMac2010
hunter

Postby BigMac2010 » Mon Jan 06, 2014 5:09 am

Well, it was a Buffle/Merg hunt. . .Still a good trip and a good time if you've never hunted Chincoteague before. Saw so many geese it made me sick, of course they were almost all a mile high. A few groups of blacks were around but wouldnt work. The guides did what they could with the birds that were there. We hunted four different blinds between 7am and 2pm. Most blinds seem to require a floating mojo rather than the stake type...it was just too deep. And Bill's seafood was ridiculous(mostly in a good way), although i'm skeptical that the 5lbs of "flounder" they used in their fried "flounder" plate was indeed flounder. Ate at Don's the next night and it was decent. Be sure to have some raw chincoteague salts (oysters) if you make the trip.
PS We may or may not have added a few ruddies to the bag... :beer:
BigMac2010
hunter

Postby Have Gun Will Travel » Mon Jan 06, 2014 7:21 am

Water too deep for a mojo? :lol3: You got moved from dipper hole to dipper hole. Typical of that outfit.
adustydawg2 wrote: maybe, just maybe, if you held your mouth right and prayed a little, you might get a 1 day invite before the end of the season. :eek: :hammer: Just a possibility. :bow: Send me a pm. :hi:
Have Gun Will Travel
hunter

Postby - Andy - » Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:10 am

BigMac2010 wrote:That's great news! :fingerhead:

But really, i hope that at least Bill's Seafood restaurant is good. . .

It is.

When you are there if you have free afternoon take a loop around the refuge. Free admission with your duck stamp. Bring a camera if you are into that and a pair of binoculars, pretty nice variety in there most of the time.

There is a pretty neat decoy shop in the "downtown" mainstreet area. Worth a stop in if you have some free time.
Tell your wife you love her, wrestle in the yard with your kids, shake your best friend's hand, let your dog sleep on the bed, and thank God for all the blessings in your life.
- Andy -
hunter

Postby BigMac2010 » Tue Jan 07, 2014 5:59 am

Since it was 16 degrees the night before with zero wind the backwater and ponds were legitimately frozen...we had tons of ice even where we hunted. I dont get the impression that they' are the @****** that you suggest HGWT. Fact is, the birds are not there right now. We spent the next morning glassing the refuge and saw a few ducks/geese but nothing like i expected to see. I still recommend them to someone who has never had the opportunity to hunt the marsh before...just dont expect to kill much more than buffleheads, mergansers, blacks ducks, and if you're lucky a scoter or two. :thumbsup:
BigMac2010
hunter

Postby Have Gun Will Travel » Tue Jan 07, 2014 7:30 am

Ice or open water you'd be hunting the same places. Last year they boasted killing nearly 1,000 birds with their clients. How many of those do you think were dippers.....you already know that answer. I know where and how they hunt. You got the typical hunt. Sorry, its a fact.
Have Gun Will Travel
hunter

Postby BigMac2010 » Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:19 am

Sounds like you got burned by them and cant seem to get over it. . .sorry about that. Maybe you should hunt more and whine and worry about what others are doing less....oh wait, i forgot, that's what the internet is exclusively used for these days.
BigMac2010
hunter

Postby kahunna » Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:48 am

:fingerhead:
kahunna
hunter

Postby recoil slinger » Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:56 am

:thumbsup:
BigMac2010 wrote:Sounds like you got burned by them and cant seem to get over it. . .sorry about that. Maybe you should hunt more and whine and worry about what others are doing less....oh wait, i forgot, that's what the internet is exclusively used for these days.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Drank some of daves koolaid, and cant stop looking in the mirror.
vice president of back bay blind retrieval association.
beast mode on
recoil slinger
hunter

Postby imaduckin up north » Wed Jan 08, 2014 1:21 pm

BigMac2010 wrote:Sounds like you got burned by them and cant seem to get over it. . .sorry about that. Maybe you should hunt more and whine and worry about what others are doing less....oh wait, i forgot, that's what the internet is exclusively used for these days.

HGWT lives there, i would think he would know whats goin on better than a tourist
,IS IT DUCK SEASON YET
you can medicate crazy
but you cant fix stupid
imaduckin up north
hunter

Postby Have Gun Will Travel » Wed Jan 08, 2014 1:38 pm

Get over yourself man. I dont need to hire a guide to kill ducks on a public marsh. Especially dippers....and a few dollar ducks. I can kill them without leaving my yard. I live over here and have for my entire life. I know the guides and how and where they hunt. Ive unknowingly taken their friends hunting and had blinds pop up 30yds from my own within a week that they proceeded opperate out of. Ive sat in DU, VDIGF, etc meetings and listened to this same outfit beg for blind laws over here when they are the ones not policing themselves.
I cant help that you waisted your money and cant seem to get over it....sorry about that. Maybe you should scout more and worry about others less....oh wait scouting is what the internet is for these days.
I say the same thing and warn the people about the same ones each year. Im only being honest. Even if we had birds right now you would have been put into a blind to kill a couple brant and dippers while listening to the gunfire of the guides hunting the better spots.
Have Gun Will Travel
hunter

Postby kahunna » Wed Jan 08, 2014 5:10 pm

And if you don't trust them ES locals :rolleyes: , there's page of threads (that you can access by using the search mode) on this forum and the refuge forums about this operation that contain negative remarks (by a large margin) on their methods.
kahunna
hunter

Return to Virginia Duck Hunting