Got a jump on the next split "Sea Coot" style

For information on local hunting and meet other hunters here in the Virginia duck hunting forum.

Moderators: swampbilly 1980, Ichabod97, callncut, fowl mouth

Got a jump on the next split "Sea Coot" style

Postby hairyheadhammer » Sun Nov 10, 2013 12:35 pm

Had a grand time yesterday about 1600 +- off Wolf Trap light ride'n some serious swellage and choot'n up a pile a shells. After all the salt spray and smoke cleared a dam fine looking pair of Surf Scoters made it into the boat, and untold numbers were missed or feathered enough to speed them away. Saw plenty of birds though the flight really picked up while we were picking up which coincided with the wind dying down. Even threw some lures in hopes of a rockfish or speck, but no luck.
I think the only way you could practice for shooting in those swells and chop would be if the sporting clays range had a station where you shot from the back of a mechanical bull. Had a great time, saw and shot at plenty of birds (key word shot at) and even bagged a couple. Thanks to Lewdog for the long line set up, Goosesmacker for use of the swamp yacht, tailfeathers for comic relief and some spair shells on the cripple chase great time with great freinds. We need to do that again soon. :yes:
"the man who is not a liberal in his youth has no heart, the man who remains so as he matures has no brain"
Winston Churchill
hairyheadhammer
hunter

Re: Got a jump on the next split "Sea Coot" style

Postby LEWDOG » Sun Nov 10, 2013 7:15 pm

We need 5 more feet of chain on the anchor of the swamp yacht so we can hunt more and not resetting the old girl . Another thing I have to learn is to leave the old cell phone in the truck , I made it home on time and had to sit and wait for the time to go . Yes sir I too had a great time and will be going again soon .

:smile: LD :yes:
A Market Hunter born 100 years to late
:)/\__________<*)((((>{
The hardest thing a duck hunter in Va. has to do is to Not read more into the blind laws then what is in black and white . Lewdog 1999
http://www.vawfa.org
LEWDOG
hunter

Postby swampbilly 1980 » Mon Nov 11, 2013 7:46 am

LEWDOG wrote: Another thing I have to learn is to leave the old cell phone in the truck

.......................... :lol:
There's a pile of 'em I've thrown overboard about 10yds. off of Swampbilly Point in 1ft. of water if you need some spare parts. Those young whipper snappers bring 'em to the blind and they ring JUST about the time a Blackduck has made his last pass, got his wings folded back, feet stuck out, breast right to ya' :lol3:
:hi:

hairyheadhammer wrote:Had a grand time yesterday about 1600 +- off Wolf Trap light ride'n some serious swellage and choot'n up a pile a shells.

FUN ain't it!!?? :thumbsup:
Swampbilly1980- I got a feeva',..and the only cure is more Mergansers and face paint.
swampbilly 1980
Forum & State Moderator

Postby LEWDOG » Mon Nov 11, 2013 8:17 am

The best part of that hunt was pulling the trigger , heck most of my shots were at waves while shooting up a few of many rusted up brass colored steel shotgun shells . Gunning saltwater with todays shot shells IMO a pump shotgun is a must have , a good bump on the deck will most of the time pull those dang things out of the hole .
My wife text me knowing that a text will find the phone in places without cell service (dead spots) , if I was in my junk I would just say I was on my way in when the motor broke down and I had to walk it around the shore back to the dock .

:smile: LD :wink:
A Market Hunter born 100 years to late
:)/\__________<*)((((>{
The hardest thing a duck hunter in Va. has to do is to Not read more into the blind laws then what is in black and white . Lewdog 1999
http://www.vawfa.org
LEWDOG
hunter

Postby goosesmacker » Wed Nov 13, 2013 8:05 pm

LEWDOG wrote:The best part of that hunt was pulling the trigger , heck most of my shots were at waves while shooting up a few of many rusted up brass colored steel shotgun shells . Gunning saltwater with todays shot shells IMO a pump shotgun is a must have , a good bump on the deck will most of the time pull those dang things out of the hole .
My wife text me knowing that a text will find the phone in places without cell service (dead spots) , if I was in my junk I would just say I was on my way in when the motor broke down and I had to walk it around the shore back to the dock .

:smile: LD :wink:

Next time, drop the phone overboard. .. :lol3: :lol3:

Had the opportunity to try out the Blue Rio 3.5" ammo for the first time. The stuff kicks like a mule, still got bruises to account for it.

Did enjoy the day on the Bay slapping the trigger. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
goosesmacker
hunter

Return to Virginia Duck Hunting