Thank goodness the season didn't start last Saturday....

For information on local hunting and meet other hunters here in the Virginia duck hunting forum.

Moderators: swampbilly 1980, callncut, Ichabod97, fowl mouth

Thank goodness the season didn't start last Saturday....

Postby nickp9797 » Tue Nov 12, 2013 12:45 pm

Because the weather would be warm and no wind...Oh wait that is next week.

I'm sure no ducks were migrating today. :rolleyes:

Sure would have been nice to hunt today, but we need to wait until the mallards really stack up at Newman Lake before we start hunting.
nickp9797
hunter

Re: Thank goodness the season didn't start last Saturday....

Postby Islander Gunner » Tue Nov 12, 2013 2:37 pm

Can you believe this? Next week will be perfect...low tide in the morning...light south west breeze at 2 m.p.h., temps in the 60's and plenty of mosquitos. :tongue: Your next cold snap will happen around the first week in December, then warm and rainy for Christmas, then maybe 2 days of cold weather in January and then a big warm up at the end of the season...perfect! :violin:
We're not down here in the blind playing baby house!
Islander Gunner
hunter

Postby imaduckin up north » Tue Nov 12, 2013 3:23 pm

i disagree gunner, i think weather wise its goin to be a good year, canada is showing snow earlier this year. now if someone just tells the ducks that aint in va we will be set
,IS IT DUCK SEASON YET
THERE AINT NO DUCKS IN VA, dicks sporting goods told me so
you can educate ignorance
you can medicate crazy
but you cant fix stupid
imaduckin up north
hunter

Postby Tangier Island Slacker » Tue Nov 12, 2013 6:09 pm

Islander Gunner wrote:Your next cold snap will happen around the first week in December

And when it does, and those Great Lakes gadwalls and the last of the green wings push through my area during those closed days in December, I'm going to throw a giant internet fit over there being too many days in November and how a split in December is hurting my chances.

Or maybe I'll be calm about it, realize that the current system works OK for most, and hope for improvements in the way of zones after the public has had a chance to register their input.
Tangier Island Slacker
hunter

Postby A5Gunner » Tue Nov 12, 2013 7:02 pm

Face it, you can't guess at the weather or the birds. I have shot limits on bluebird days that were supposed to suck and zippo on "great" weather days. Ya just gotta go and see what happens. In general, good in Nov. slow in Dec. and sometimes good in Jan. Monkeying with the dates one way or the other probably wouldn't make a difference over the spread of a few years.
You ain't right.......kinda touched in the head.
A5Gunner
hunter

Postby Big Iron » Tue Nov 12, 2013 7:10 pm

What I have found, is that guys that hunt the most typically kill the most, irrespective of the season dates.

Why do you suppose that is?
Big Iron
hunter

Postby Ruddy757 » Tue Nov 12, 2013 7:59 pm

Tangier Island Slacker wrote:
Islander Gunner wrote:Your next cold snap will happen around the first week in December

And when it does, and those Great Lakes gadwalls and the last of the green wings push through my area during those closed days in December, I'm going to throw a giant internet fit over there being too many days in November and how a split in December is hurting my chances.

Or maybe I'll be calm about it, realize that the current system works OK for most, and hope for improvements in the way of zones after the public has had a chance to register their input.

The "giant internet fit" thing should come pretty easily.
Ruddy757
hunter

Postby Tangier Island Slacker » Wed Nov 13, 2013 8:03 am

Ruddy757 wrote:
Tangier Island Slacker wrote:

The "giant internet fit" thing should come pretty easily.

Good grief, man. Do you at least print my picture out, or just go directly into licking the computer screen?
Tangier Island Slacker
hunter

Postby LEWDOG » Wed Nov 13, 2013 8:54 am

Some are not looking at the big picture , up North where most feel is where the birds are is getting hit with a winter blast 3 days before our season start for this split and any birds heading South will hit here with any luck Friday or Saturday in what we call a bluebird day . I'm thinking that would make for a great hunt and will have the rest of the season to wish for a cold wet windy frozen dark winter day .
Then again you are right a bluebird day is going to a bad day to duck hunt , stay home and knock out the honey-do list or truck hunt a deer and I'll post up the sunrise pic. around noon so you can say you saw it .

:tongue: LD :hammer:
A Market Hunter born 100 years to late
:)/\__________<*)((((>{
The hardest thing a duck hunter in Va. has to do is to Not read more into the blind laws then what is in black and white . Lewdog 1999
http://www.vawfa.org
LEWDOG
hunter

Return to Virginia Duck Hunting