Just when you think there aren't enough laws in VA…

For information on local hunting and meet other hunters here in the Virginia duck hunting forum.

Moderators: swampbilly 1980, fowl mouth, callncut, Ichabod97

Just when you think there aren't enough laws in VA…

Postby Dog Tired » Tue Nov 12, 2013 3:39 pm

*disclaimer* it you're not ready for a rant, click the "back" button. Reader beware!

Try throwing a trolling motor on a canoe you've had for a while.

VA says if you put a motor on your aquatic vessel, it needs to be registered. Got it. Where can I register it? At a scarcely placed VDGIF? Nope. Poor lady refers me to the phone line. Coulda done that from the smartphone. Ok. Call the number. "We'll mail it to you. Nope. Can't get the documents to you digitally. We can snail mail em." Got it. What about this coming Saturday? Apparently Walmart can do it. Drive to Walmart. Need a bill of sale. A bill of sale for a Craigslist canoe? ***? Seriously? Of course the guy behind the counter tells me he doesn't care how I got the bill of sale, but come on! I'm military and the instant I do something ethically questionable, guess what happens? It's in the news, I get canned, and the remaining worker bees have a new 1.5 hour period of instruction on ethics and moral courage with my name redacted. Called the vdgif office. "These registration documents were created before Craigslist." Google Craigslist…launched 1995. I started duck hunting 2001. I mean…I don't need a canoe with an effin Trollin motor, but is this state serious?

Rant over. Can't apologize since you're Trollin anyway lookin for something to talk about.

Still dog tired.
Dog Tired
hunter

Re: Just when you think there aren't enough laws in VA…

Postby lbhansford » Tue Nov 12, 2013 3:50 pm

yeah includes kayaks too, friend got a ticket for it. Pretty lame if you ask me.
lbhansford
hunter

Postby ipittythefoo » Tue Nov 12, 2013 6:48 pm

Bought a boat and a trailer from a guy who got it from his dad in South Carolina. They Title the boat and motor but not the trailer down there. You have to have a title for the trailer to get a tag. It took three trips to the DMV to finally get one. DMV select at the court house did a title from a bill of sale.
ipittythefoo
hunter

Postby LEWDOG » Wed Nov 13, 2013 9:14 am

It took me all summer to get numbers on a boat that was given to me as a trash boat . A 1959 boat that a GW found what they called ghost numbers , June I started the paper work and September I got the numbers .
I wish they would go back to the old way of Reg. a boat which was only needed for 10 HP or bigger .

:sarcmark: LD :smile:
A Market Hunter born 100 years to late
:)/\__________<*)((((>{
The hardest thing a duck hunter in Va. has to do is to Not read more into the blind laws then what is in black and white . Lewdog 1999
http://www.vawfa.org
LEWDOG
hunter

Postby TaylorMann1 » Thu Nov 14, 2013 2:04 pm

Some states make you register any canoe or kayak. We were kayaking in Pennsylvania and a group guys from I believe Ohio had numbers on their whitewater boats.
TaylorMann1
hunter

Postby KAhunter » Thu Nov 14, 2013 2:19 pm

Yeah well when the state/country is run so poorly and continues to build dept, they need to keep finding ways for extra income. So extra vessel that need to be registered equals extra money. I agree its bs.
"If you have to be crazy to be a duck hunter, i dont wish to be sane" Robert Ruark

Its always duck season, there is just a long break from february to september.
KAhunter
hunter

Return to Virginia Duck Hunting