Look on the Bright Side

For information on local hunting and meet other hunters here in the Virginia duck hunting forum.

Moderators: swampbilly 1980, Ichabod97, fowl mouth, callncut

Look on the Bright Side

Postby NativeGaelGunna » Tue Nov 12, 2013 10:44 pm

I am sure there are many of you who have also been losing your mind the last couple of days thinking about opening day. Hopefully this non windy opener will not be so bad a d it could be a blessing in disguise. As old man imaduckin said its gotten colder in Canada earlier this year. I think the birds moved a week and a half - 2 weeks earlier this year. I saw flocks of blacks first weekend in November and that didn't happen last year until around thanksgiving when we had that nice windy cloudy day. On top of that there wasn't a hurricane Sandy. Saturday there will be an incoming tide. There will be some birds, likely fresh, all unpressured. take this opportunity to watch where birds fly. No wind and an incoming tide = flight paths based on pure safe natural habitat i.e. thats where they wanna go. You can take advantage and hunt these spots later on when times are tough or you wanna get real aggressive when the tides line up with the right wind
Tanks Nayspahegh
NativeGaelGunna
hunter

Re: Look on the Bright Side

Postby imaduckin up north » Wed Nov 13, 2013 6:19 am

there ya go, i feel reassured how bout yall :clapping:
,IS IT DUCK SEASON YET
THERE AINT NO DUCKS IN VA, dicks sporting goods told me so
you can educate ignorance
you can medicate crazy
but you cant fix stupid
imaduckin up north
hunter

Postby NativeGaelGunna » Wed Nov 13, 2013 7:26 am

Hahaha. I'm losing it. We are all overdue.

Anyone ever heard of hemmorhagic blue tongue deer disease? I heard it hit pretty hard this year and killed a lot of deer. Gordon Creek watershed has 26 miles of headwater forested streams. I guess that caused an excess of Mosquitos that have killed a lot of deer on the lower chick. Anyone else had reports about this? My guess is Mr Green jeans will be out on the water more but that's ok because I finally passd the boater safety coarse

Lewdog you would have like the part about "being required" to slow down your boat going through SAV (fish, crustaceans, and wildlife habitat, what a load of crap. There's still no mudflat in Nayses probably bc of the bass fisherman who crush through nettles creek and never slow down, sadly its probably gone forever. Also Gordon's refugehas sunk a lot bad, and I'd say only a Quarter of it is rice anymore, now its mostly Tuckahoe and that will go it dies around this time of year and I would guess more of those mudflats will wash away as well. The cypress is still alive but pinewood's marsh doesn't encircle it.

The chestnut trees are gone, the trout stream hemlocks are all dying, and the ducky mudflats are washing away. No one cares. We all just watch Duck Commander and call it Hollywood and hunt when we can and say we are preserving it because we use it and conserving ducks because we buy duck stamps and are members of DU. Where is the compensatory mitigation of wetland loss? "No net loss" is a cool idea but I don't see it being utilized. Not all wetlands are created the same. Prime example. Eagle Rock mitigation bank up here in the mountains. Cost around 5-6 million taxpayers dollars. They basically made an impoundment in a farmers field in a valley on the James River below iron gate. Sure it is ducky as heck and it is great for the watershed recharge and animal habitat, but VDOT can now disturb any wetland in the James River Watershed because they have enough "credits" that supposedly equate to natural wetlands biological value. We all know that no impoundment or man made duck habitat can replace a ducky marsh on a river. Unfortunately we do t have the ability to create natural marsh. I've been reading all about wetland compensatory mitigation and I feel I have only scratched the surface. Just being able to manipulate or create wetlands is fascinating. Here's something to think about Green Tree Reservoirs. Cool stuff, better equating "natural simulating" biological duck habitat IMO because these naturally flooded winter dormant forests are already there near our rivers, they often hold ducks we don't see, and to open them up would be more cost effective and naturally biologically more valuable as our wonderful reasonable state doesn't try to make it arbitrarily extremely expensive. Who else knows a out this stuff I'm just started reading about it, lots better than tv IMO
Tanks Nayspahegh
NativeGaelGunna
hunter

Postby imaduckin up north » Wed Nov 13, 2013 9:34 am

griggsbro is alive and well :lol:
,IS IT DUCK SEASON YET
you can medicate crazy
but you cant fix stupid
imaduckin up north
hunter

Postby Have Gun Will Travel » Wed Nov 13, 2013 9:55 am

imaduckin up north wrote:griggsbro is alive and well :lol:

Got to be....he's the only one who would think he has tidal flow in the mountains.
adustydawg2 wrote: maybe, just maybe, if you held your mouth right and prayed a little, you might get a 1 day invite before the end of the season. :eek: :hammer: Just a possibility. :bow: Send me a pm. :hi:
Have Gun Will Travel
hunter

Postby Sitndux3294 » Wed Nov 13, 2013 11:20 am

Carter my friend you are a deep thinker.... for sure.
Sitndux3294
hunter

Postby NativeGaelGunna » Wed Nov 13, 2013 11:52 am

You do the thinking Butch. I always keep my hopes on the horizon, always watching. Those 2 must have eatin breakfast with Mudgun this morning, cereal and fresh persimmons. How they aren't intrigued with the future of wetlands is beyond me. Green Tree Reservoirs can help take wetland mitigation in Virginia to the next level IMO in the tidewater on our rivers and near the Chesapeake Bay, not in a field with a colvert collecting all available water in a catchment area of some faraway subwatershed that takes days or weeks to filter into the Bay... just saying. (not to take anything away from the splendor that is Eagle Rock Mitigation Bank, it is an awesome place and I would support many more like it. Its probably the duckiest place I have seen up here. and its ecological, biological, and water quality impacts are well worth the $ in the long run) Its fascinating stuff. The long run. The ducks. Feathers. I just wish there were more enhanced, created, and restored wetlands, especially near the Bay. I was very impressed with VDOT when I visited Eagle Rock for class.

They have the Mattaponi Wetland Bank (approximately 70 acres), Mountain Run Wetland Bank (approximately 28 acres), the William Benjamin Nottoway River Wetland Bank (approximately 30 acres), Great Oaks Wetland Bank (approximately 27 acres), and Eagle Rock Wetland Bank (approximately 85 acres). The cost of constructing a wetland is approximately $125,000 per acre. Constructing larger wetlands in advance of identified needs in targeted watershed and in locations that are not as developed and more cost-effectivecould save VDOT millions of dollars. It is also estimated that the use of a wetland bank on a project could save up to 25% in processing time for the permit.

http://www.environment.fhwa.dot.gov/str ... xpand=true

Green Tree Reservoirs, read about it Mr. Forested wetlands have a compensatory mitigation ration of 2:1, higher than all the other wetland types.
Tanks Nayspahegh
NativeGaelGunna
hunter

Postby Have Gun Will Travel » Wed Nov 13, 2013 12:08 pm

:lol3: mind blown
adustydawg2 wrote: maybe, just maybe, if you held your mouth right and prayed a little, you might get a 1 day invite before the end of the season. :eek: :hammer: Just a possibility. :bow: Send me a pm. :hi:
Have Gun Will Travel
hunter

Postby ncbufflehead » Wed Nov 13, 2013 6:13 pm

The mosquitoes might have affected more than the deer up there.
ncbufflehead
hunter

Postby A5Gunner » Wed Nov 13, 2013 6:39 pm

Have Gun Will Travel wrote::lol3: mind blown

Ditto

And who said they don't teach the kids anything these days......Oh, that would be me :oops:

That's great stuff. :thumbsup:
You ain't right.......kinda touched in the head.
A5Gunner
hunter

Postby imaduckin up north » Wed Nov 13, 2013 6:52 pm

and he will never apply it to anything in his life
,IS IT DUCK SEASON YET
you can medicate crazy
but you cant fix stupid
imaduckin up north
hunter

Postby NativeGaelGunna » Wed Nov 13, 2013 9:14 pm

Imaduckin did your Dad not love you as a child or what? How come you weren't invited on Lewdog and the other cool old guys sea duck hunt? You are always so negative. I am applying myself right now. I have a 4 year degree in History from a great school, I am about to finish my 2 year associates degree in Forest Management, and then I plan on getting my Masters in Natural Resources. I am proud to be learning about Forest Management. I applied myself when I made the commitment to move to the mountains, live by myself, work and study hard, and pursue my long term goals like a herd of turtles even though I know I won't ever make nearly as much money as my Dad or some of his buddies. But I am ok with that. I already have so much, I want to do something thats good for the environment and society. I am chasing my dream and ultimate goal of having a career that makes me happy and proud to go to work and I feel very blessed and fortunate for that opportunity. I am paying my own bills. I have a 3.75 GPA right now and I am making straight A's. I resent your ignorance. That means I don't really care for what you have to say and you aren't going to lure me into any more of your arguments. I am applying myself at this very moment.

This is classic Imaduckin everyone.

Back to the ducks. I am surprised that no one else is as interested as I am in Wetland Mitigation, Wetland Banks, or Green Tree Reservoirs. Look it up guys it's fascinating stuff.

Has anyone ever talked to these guys from http://swampwreck.com/
I would like to apply myself and learn as much as possible about all of this. My brother is a Wetlands and Wildlife Conservation Major. We didn't build an impoundment on our cabin property because we wanted sustainable forestland for quail, turkeys, and deer. One day when my Dad and his single best friend are very old or gone, the two of us will be in charge of the island up river (the cabin and old marsh will always be everybodys). It is a Green Tree Reservoir. I would love to enhance it because it has excellent habitat potential and it is always flooded in the winter. Not to take it seriously and apply my mind to the matter would be a waste, a dissapointment, and dishonor all the patience hard work and loving sacrifices my father made for us on the alter of duck. It's not like I inherited a 350 year old plantation and I am charging 750$ a night. You wouldn't know we had 2 sticks to rub together if you spent the night on the river with us. Its an inhospitable inpenetrable cypress/ pine/ bottomwood green tree reservoir that floods the dormant riverside trees in the winter. My dream would be to put it into perpetuity for everyone as some sort of conservation duck habitat safe haven that will always be there and never be hunted, a native unadulterated duck habitat that would directly mitigate irreversible complete wetland marsh loss that has unfortunately already happened.

With all the sincerity in my warm happy heart, I hope Imaduckin's head didn't just explode on his computer screen. :hammer:
Tanks Nayspahegh
NativeGaelGunna
hunter

Postby imaduckin up north » Wed Nov 13, 2013 9:38 pm

i feel no need to explain myself on anything, as ive lived a full and happy life and owe no one anything :thumbsup:
,IS IT DUCK SEASON YET
you can medicate crazy
but you cant fix stupid
imaduckin up north
hunter

Postby fowl mouth » Wed Nov 13, 2013 9:53 pm

cool site native I checked them out
Liberty '14-Broadcasting/Digital Media
DUCKHILL BEAU
What a man will do for a duck
#SOMEDUCKSINVA
fowl mouth
State Moderator

Postby imaduckin up north » Wed Nov 13, 2013 11:32 pm

ok native to be honest i applaud your chance to become educated, having said that let me get real for a while. the interest you have in the enviroment and forestry is futile. you call me an old man, one of the benefits or curses of my age is knowing the changes of the state for the last 59 years. when i was about your age you could practically drive 20 miles in any direction in the state of va and hunt for 5.00, impossible you may say. there was a lumber company that owned major chunks of va called continental can, and for 5.00 permit you could hunt most anywhere, eventually they sold out to bear island who in turn leased the land to hunt clubs or developers. where it went from there i dont know, but i do know its gone. also countys like surry and charles city being so close to the tidewater area became of interest to corporations and anyone with money wanting to lease hunting land. hunt clubs that existed there started losing leases to people that were willing to pay double or triple for leases. also marsh land near my home town was filled in for subdivisions, i know this because i use to be a landscaper and planted the shrubs there. we constantly had to go back and replace plants due to root rot from the high water table. another example is in stafford county and king george county the chinese have been buying thousands of acres of farmland for future development, where am i going with this you may ask, well what im saying is , theres no saving the environment from the greed of man. i hear the waterfowl orgs talking about helping the waterfowl, how can you save a thing from greed. look at the country as it exist today, we are stripping the environment as fast as we can for the sake of mankind. we are literally breeding ourselfs out of house and home. the government is not going to do anything unless it makes money for it, you think obama cares if we have health insurance, hogwash, its another money making scheme. they are clutching at anything to cover their butts from all the spending over the years. i could go on and on but my point is you are an idealist, and theres no room in this world for that. holy freakin cow, i think my head exploded :eek:
,IS IT DUCK SEASON YET
you can medicate crazy
but you cant fix stupid
imaduckin up north
hunter

Postby NativeGaelGunna » Thu Nov 14, 2013 7:32 am

No worries Imaduckin. I sense your sincerity. Hey at least you had the chance to hunt like that when you were younger. I am not trying to save the world just do what I can with the cards I've been given. Every time someone wants to disturb wetlands they have to buy "credits" to mitigate or "alleviate" that loss. That can be done by giving money to a wetland bank who uses that money to create, enhance, restore wetlands. Of course you can do it yourself and cut out the middle man. I was just trying to persuade some people who knew what I was talking about that enhancing green tree reservoirs are 1. Cooler, 2. More cost effective, 3. Already existing natural habitat, 4. Geographically on/ in the water on our rivers where the ducks are

Ask yourself this question, since large state companiesike VDOT can use tax dollars to build wetlands on flat land in the mountains because its cost effective dont you think they, or private companies/ landowners, would ultimately consider enhancing forested wetland green tree reservoirs to save money, actually maybe even make money. Emergent wetlands compensatory mitigation ratio is 1:1, scrub-shrub wetlands is like 1.5 ?:1, but forested wetlands are good, 2:1 because of their potent biological value and high level of carbon sequestration(taking bad stuff out of air), that means every acre of forested wetlands you destroy you have to make 2 acres of wetlands somewhere else or enhance some wetland somewhere else. If you wanted to turn a green tree reservoir into mitigation site or conservation easement perhaps retaining hunting rights the landowner could potentially make alot of money and they have the mojo and lots of options because there simply are so few of these habitats left. i think in Miss where my bro goes thers only like 5 million acres of flooded timber left and it used to be everywhere but they cut it down and drained it all. The island you and I know of ain't draining unless the chick dries up. Quack
Tanks Nayspahegh
NativeGaelGunna
hunter

Postby imaduckin up north » Thu Nov 14, 2013 7:59 am

here again , i see the dream for the future that you have, but look at the containment areas that are developed by vdot and normal development. most become clogged with trash or if there is waterfowl there they are no benefit to the hunter, simply because the area is deemed a no hunt zone as in public reservoirs. the waterfowl becomes almost domesticated from the benefits of such projects. the chesapeake bay watershed is a prime example of this, runoff ponds everywhere full of trash and non huntable watefowl. saving a few marshes is not goin to reverse the effects of development at its present rate, and its getting exponentially worse as time goes by. as i stated before , we are breeding ourselves out of room. and with the things you are learning im sure you have become aware that underground lakes are being drained at a faster rate to supply water for areas like california and the midwest to maintain agriculture to feed billions. the climate has seen massive changes since i was your age. i remember the bow seasons back then and it was chilly or downright cold, heck in the last 10 years ive bowhunted in shorts and a tshirt. i commend you for your positive attitude and if you truly are the griggs that started out here then you have made some massive changes in attitude from that explosive kid that use to threaten us with his huge brother and mr gordon. :thumbsup:
,IS IT DUCK SEASON YET
you can medicate crazy
but you cant fix stupid
imaduckin up north
hunter

Postby Have Gun Will Travel » Thu Nov 14, 2013 9:56 am

VDOT only replaces wetlands because the laws and their permitting requires them to. In a case of an emergency bridge replacement it goes out the window because its for the better of man. Dealing with such a case right now.
Have Gun Will Travel
hunter

Postby NativeGaelGunna » Thu Nov 14, 2013 12:43 pm

Imaduckin, I follow you on neglected man made containment areas near roads and new decelopment. there are unforested, They look bad, often there is trash, and they don't seem to have much biological value, as for domesticated ducks in these places I think thats a little far fetched.

I also follow you on climate change, habitat loss, and lack of ducks in VA and living to see things change forever, I know, I've also seen it.
I don't think you are following me like I would like ya to though. i want you to google Green Tree Reservoirs, there's even a section about it on the DU site. There wouldn't be a lot of human impact involved in enhancing a pre- existing one. It's flooded timber in the woods on an island encircled by marsh on a river, its about as natural and undisturbed and impenetrable as a forest can get. One high tide and its flushed naturally. It actually a very beautiful clean place. I could probably even register it as a Dark Sky Park (i read alot, im a nerd, astronomy is cool in my book) there arent any lights around it especialy on the island.heck I could probably go in with 10 of my guides and open it up but its too late again this year. It has great habitat potential and conservation/ mitigation potential

Have Gun Will Travel wrote:VDOT only replaces wetlands because the laws and their permitting requires them to. In a case of an emergency bridge replacement it goes out the window because its for the better of man. Dealing with such a case right now.

Have Gun wetland mitigation isn't solely reserved for state companies like VDOT. Private companies and people (landowners) can be directly involved. If you read about Eagle Rock Mitigation Bank it is a bank, but it is a wetlands. They built it as a big site that they can use as a certain amount of "credits". I don't remember exactly how many but potentially a biologically valuable site could have enough credits to build 20 bridges and roads hypothetically. Also keep in mind that forested wetlands aka in some instances seasonal natural Green Tree Reservoirs are twice as valuable biologically because they have a 2:1 ratio, they hold twice as many credits, they are also twice as valuable $ wise if you want I think of it like that
Tanks Nayspahegh
NativeGaelGunna
hunter

Postby imaduckin up north » Thu Nov 14, 2013 1:29 pm

by domesticated ducks, i meant ducks that dont migrate, have lost their natural fear of humans and inbreed with local ducks and truly domestic ducks therefore ruining the large natural breed of northern ducks from canada. and as most here will tell you creating marshes, altering , or changing the course of water movement is under so many laws that the sheer legal, monetary, or logistics is beyond the reach of the average person. these things are done on a government or state level. have your dream , and a wonderful dream it is.
,IS IT DUCK SEASON YET
you can medicate crazy
but you cant fix stupid
imaduckin up north
hunter

Postby recoil slinger » Thu Nov 14, 2013 2:33 pm

I've read less passages in the bible. Jesus
Drank some of daves koolaid, and cant stop looking in the mirror.
vice president of back bay blind retrieval association.
beast mode on
recoil slinger
hunter

Postby imaduckin up north » Thu Nov 14, 2013 2:59 pm

then dont look recoil
,IS IT DUCK SEASON YET
you can medicate crazy
but you cant fix stupid
imaduckin up north
hunter

Postby recoil slinger » Thu Nov 14, 2013 3:31 pm

imaduckin up north wrote:then dont look recoil

Oh you being a bad azz. Well I'll tell you what sir meet me at electric ave. I'll be waiting
beast mode on
recoil slinger
hunter

Postby NativeGaelGunna » Thu Nov 14, 2013 4:30 pm

Guys like recoil slinger. hah! how do you sling recoil haha?

imaduckin up north wrote:and as most here will tell you creating marshes, altering , or changing the course of water movement is under so many laws that the sheer legal, monetary, or logistics is beyond the reach of the average person. these things are done on a government or state level.

Imaduckin, its not a dream, its real as broad daylight, and it has nothing to do with the average person , I'm assuming you mean how rich someone is or if their Dad is a Senator or something ridiculous. It is all about HABITAT. I still don't think you understand where I am going with this. I could sell private companies/ mitigation banks, or the state the "credits" or rights to use it as a mitigation bank site that they could use to enhance the already existing wetland and make money from them and still be able to hunt it. I am no lawyer, but my common sense instinct tells me that this option may not put hunting rights in perpetuity for my family but I know I would be making beaucoup $$$, but thats not what its all about for me, plus I might have to sell it to them. I am not 100% certain on those "logistics" imaduckin. I prob wouldnt have to pay taxes on it but I would loose more control this way... I think. I need to do a little more research on that, right now I'm too focused on black duck habitat and feathers

Or I could go the conservation route, DU, the state, the county, whoever, somebody would come in maybe not pay us but do the work and enhance the already existing Green Tree Reservoir wetland, and it would (in perpetuity, it could never be developed ever and it would be awesome duck habitat for wintering ducks) become perpetually so, a conservation refuge type deal but I could retain hunting rights for my family.

Or I could go in there with a regiment of my guides armed with chainsaws, shovels, a wheel barrel, and a hollowed out log colvert (ya you all know you like that one :hammer: ), make the magic happen and plant some millet Mr, but then since I am not in charge right now, the guys who are given permission to hunt our blinds up there would hunt it, and it would be more theirs than ours and it wouldn't be in perpetuity just another peice of property that could be sold or timbered and changed forever. Gotta think about all the angles, short term and long term.
Tanks Nayspahegh
NativeGaelGunna
hunter

Postby recoil slinger » Thu Nov 14, 2013 4:41 pm

NativeGaelGunna wrote:Guys like recoil slinger. hah! how do you sling recoil haha?

imaduckin up north wrote:and as most here will tell you creating marshes, altering , or changing the course of water movement is under so many laws that the sheer legal, monetary, or logistics is beyond the reach of the average person. these things are done on a government or state level.

Imaduckin, its not a dream, its real as broad daylight, and it has nothing to do with the average person , I'm assuming you mean how rich someone is or if their Dad is a Senator or something ridiculous. It is all about HABITAT. I still don't think you understand where I am going with this. I could sell private companies/ mitigation banks, or the state the "credits" or rights to use it as a mitigation bank site that they could use to enhance the already existing wetland and make money from them and still be able to hunt it. I am no lawyer, but my common sense instinct tells me that this option may not put hunting rights in perpetuity for my family but I know I would be making beaucoup $$$, but thats not what its all about for me, plus I might have to sell it to them. I am not 100% certain on those "logistics" imaduckin. I prob wouldnt have to pay taxes on it but I would loose more control this way... I think. I need to do a little more research on that, right now I'm too focused on black duck habitat and feathers

Or I could go the conservation route, DU, the state, the county, whoever, somebody would come in maybe not pay us but do the work and enhance the already existing Green Tree Reservoir wetland, and it would (in perpetuity, it could never be developed ever and it would be awesome duck habitat for wintering ducks) become perpetually so, a conservation refuge type deal but I could retain hunting rights for my family.

Or I could go in there with a regiment of my guides armed with chainsaws, shovels, a wheel barrel, and a hollowed out log colvert (ya you all know you like that one :hammer: ), make the magic happen and plant some millet Mr, but then since I am not in charge right now, the guys who are given permission to hunt our blinds up there would hunt it, and it would be more theirs than ours and it wouldn't be in perpetuity just another peice of property that could be sold or timbered and changed forever. Gotta think about all the angles, short term and long term.
guys like you is y i understand pink floyd :grooving:
beast mode on
recoil slinger
hunter

Next

Return to Virginia Duck Hunting