Migration Alert

For information on local hunting and meet other hunters here in the Virginia duck hunting forum.

Moderators: swampbilly 1980, Ichabod97, callncut, fowl mouth

Migration Alert

Postby Salty Ducks » Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:44 am

Well here it is guys.....

http://www.ducks.org/hunting/migration/migration-flyway-reporters/migration-alert-birds-arriving-right-on-time-in-virginia?poe=migmap

VDGIF says the birds are here - IF the season was open we wouldn't have to WAIT and HOPE for the birds stick around. It says it right in the article .....
Strong numbers of ducks are already here, so now we just need them to stick around until the season reopens."

No doubt our neighbors in MD and NC have been enjoying themselves this week.
Salty Ducks
hunter

Re: Migration Alert

Postby NativeGaelGunna » Wed Nov 13, 2013 11:18 am

If they don't want us to shoot black ducks they should just have another closed black duck season for how ever long they think is necessary. Is it that, or is it the powers at be don't think its good to mix other hunting seasons like deer with an earlier November duck season out of fear of not enough control, monitoring, regulation by the Green Jeans?

Either way you look at it, it is frustrating. Why MD gets to hunt and NC BELOW us gets to hunt is beyond my reasoning. One would think that if the big whigs are adamantly against change, against the introduction of Sunday hunting, at least some of them would understand allowing hunters to duck hunt under the same rules but under different dates when the birds get here, especially the big whigs who do duck hunt...

Do any of you older guys ever remember the opener around November 1st or the first Saturday in November and if so when did it change to the way it is now? Thanks

P.S. I like the report about the exceptionally high Illinois Pintail count, thats awesome, i hope they keep heading this way
Tanks Nayspahegh
NativeGaelGunna
hunter

Postby LEWDOG » Wed Nov 13, 2013 11:19 am

Virginia waterfowlers can feel free to get excited: Ducks are on the move, and November 16 is shaping up to be the perfect weekend to reopen the season.

First line set the stage for the rest of it , Can't say I have been seeing them , maybe next week when we get the next blast of winter .

:fingerhead: LD :hammer:
A Market Hunter born 100 years to late
:)/\__________<*)((((>{
The hardest thing a duck hunter in Va. has to do is to Not read more into the blind laws then what is in black and white . Lewdog 1999
http://www.vawfa.org
LEWDOG
hunter

Postby Have Gun Will Travel » Wed Nov 13, 2013 12:10 pm

Lew have you been outside today? Its dang cold over here.
adustydawg2 wrote: maybe, just maybe, if you held your mouth right and prayed a little, you might get a 1 day invite before the end of the season. :eek: :hammer: Just a possibility. :bow: Send me a pm. :hi:
Have Gun Will Travel
hunter

Postby lbhansford » Wed Nov 13, 2013 12:16 pm

had to drive to WMBG this morning and saw a pile of mergansers on queens creek by interstate and a few blacks in the camp perry marsh. Couldnt look too hard at 75 mph across the bridge but a few ducks have shown up.
lbhansford
hunter

Postby LEWDOG » Wed Nov 13, 2013 1:26 pm

Yep that is what they do , come and go fly from cold to warm in the fall and from warm to cold in the spring . IMO not enough to make the change in our season and the way it is now a lot hunt deer first and take up duck after deer is over . Make the change and some will just stay duckin .
It's OK for us to disagree isn't it :oops: .

:smile: LD :hammer:
The hardest thing a duck hunter in Va. has to do is to Not read more into the blind laws then what is in black and white . Lewdog 1999
LEWDOG
hunter

Postby A5Gunner » Fri Nov 15, 2013 7:30 am

60 days is 60 days, there is a limited framework allowed for when we can use those 60 days. This year it may be better depending on the weather to open early, next year maybe not. It's all a gamble. I don't think a change will make a difference. What will happen is that they start a week early, extend the split a week in Dec. and that is when a big front will push a lot of birds down. Then the same people that pushed for an early start will be moaning about the long split and how stupid it is.

P.S. the same with Sunday hunting, 60 days is 60 days...you just have to make the best of the cards your dealt and go hunt. :thumbsup: It is NEVER going to be perfect for everyone.

P.P.S. Please dont hijack this into a Sunday hunting thread, I know I started it but I hate when every thread turns into a Sunday hunting thing, it just gets old. :hammer: Point is at some time you gota quit bitchin and just hunt!
You ain't right.......kinda touched in the head.
A5Gunner
hunter

Postby Dog Tired » Fri Nov 15, 2013 8:05 am

^^^true story.

Ill admit this Saturday may not be the best, but guess what? Ill be out the trying to fool em.
Dog Tired
hunter

Postby Have Gun Will Travel » Fri Nov 15, 2013 8:18 am

LEWDOG wrote:It's OK for us to disagree isn't it :oops: .

Seriously, I asked a question and said it was cold outside. My 4 yr old isnt that petty. I didnt know I disagreed about anything. I have to admit, seeing you hanging this childish crap out without TF to come hold your hankie for you is pretty funny. Youre an island Lew....youre an island.
adustydawg2 wrote: maybe, just maybe, if you held your mouth right and prayed a little, you might get a 1 day invite before the end of the season. :eek: :hammer: Just a possibility. :bow: Send me a pm. :hi:
Have Gun Will Travel
hunter

Postby lbhansford » Fri Nov 15, 2013 8:35 am

Dog Tired wrote:^^^true story.

Ill admit this Saturday may not be the best, but guess what? Ill be out the trying to fool em.

Its all good bc the rut was a week late this year so this weekend will be ON FIRE for nice bucks. seen alot of photos sent to me of deer killed this week and saw a bullwinkle of buck just a hair too far out for a arrow... all have swollen necks and black tarsal glands. Ducks in the AM, deer in the evening!
lbhansford
hunter

Postby skydog » Fri Nov 15, 2013 8:49 am

lbhansford wrote:
Dog Tired wrote:^^^true story.

Its all good bc the rut was a week late this year so this weekend will be ON FIRE for nice bucks. seen alot of photos sent to me of deer killed this week and saw a bullwinkle of buck just a hair too far out for a arrow... all have swollen necks and black tarsal glands. Ducks in the AM, deer in the evening!

X2...going to be a little warmer than ideal but still no better time than this weekend to be in the woods. Saw a pic of a 29" wide beast taken south of the James this week.
skydog
hunter

Postby lbhansford » Fri Nov 15, 2013 9:02 am

saw a 180lb 11 pointer taken tuesday in the wind, and a beautiful WIDE 9 pointer that was a bruiser on wednesday. Then leaving City Center in the middle of Newport News from work yesterday evening there was a nice buck walking beside the stopped traffic rubbing saplings by Cannon. had the bow in the backseat... very tempting hahah
lbhansford
hunter

Postby LEWDOG » Fri Nov 15, 2013 9:04 am

What is funny is you thinking I was answering a dumb question and remark about being cold . HGWT I'm sorry but name calling kids stuff belong on the playgrounds and not here on this forum , Salty Ducks is a good man and on the subject of changing the splits we disagree .
Have Gun Will Travel wrote:Lew have you been outside today? Its dang cold over here.

No I was on the forum discussing the week before the Nov. season starts , and yes it's Cold on this side as well .

:rolleyes: LD :hammer:
LEWDOG
hunter

Postby skydog » Fri Nov 15, 2013 9:25 am

lbhansford wrote:saw a 180lb 11 pointer taken tuesday in the wind, and a beautiful WIDE 9 pointer that was a bruiser on wednesday. Then leaving City Center in the middle of Newport News from work yesterday evening there was a nice buck walking beside the stopped traffic rubbing saplings by Cannon. had the bow in the backseat... very tempting hahah

Well the state didn't start that urban archery season for nothing :yes: :yes:

Good luck to everyone this weekend. I'm calling it a day at work now and heading to the woods.
skydog
hunter

Postby Have Gun Will Travel » Fri Nov 15, 2013 10:39 am

LEWDOG wrote:What is funny is you thinking I was answering a dumb question and remark about being cold . HGWT I'm sorry but name calling kids stuff belong on the playgrounds and not here on this forum , Salty Ducks is a good man and on the subject of changing the splits we disagree .
Have Gun Will Travel wrote:Lew have you been outside today? Its dang cold over here.

No I was on the forum discussing the week before the Nov. season starts , and yes it's Cold on this side as well .

Thank you for setting me straight. I will try not to let you down again old wise one.
Have Gun Will Travel
hunter

Postby lbhansford » Fri Nov 15, 2013 10:49 am

Have Gun Will Travel wrote:
LEWDOG wrote:What is funny is you thinking I was answering a dumb question and remark about being cold . HGWT I'm sorry but name calling kids stuff belong on the playgrounds and not here on this forum , Salty Ducks is a good man and on the subject of changing the splits we disagree .

Thank you for setting me straight. I will try not to let you down again old wise one.

You guys need to hug it out man! :lol3:
lbhansford
hunter

Postby va marsh rat » Fri Nov 15, 2013 2:06 pm

What the heck am I supposed to do with 60 degrees and no wind tomorrow? Honestly, its probably a better fish day, and then drag out the duck gear next Wednesday when it gets cold and windy again. Good luck to those who go, don't forget your bug spray and sunscreen!

I'll probably end up going anyways. You never know unless you go... :lol3:
va marsh rat
hunter

Postby lbhansford » Fri Nov 15, 2013 2:43 pm

i feel ya VA, really wanting to get out on the water for some ducks even though I know my time is better spent in the woods. decisions decisions :help:
lbhansford
hunter

Postby Undrcoverrednek » Fri Nov 15, 2013 4:57 pm

Was this the bufflehead migration alert? A pile of those and two black ducks are all I saw this morning.
swampbilly 1980 wrote:I'm a poor man, but I'd pay good money to taste some of that juicy white meat...
Undrcoverrednek
hunter

Postby Dog Tired » Fri Nov 15, 2013 7:55 pm

Worth a try.
Dog Tired
hunter

Postby dodman » Fri Nov 15, 2013 8:27 pm

Howdy from the mountains! In terms of migration, I've been scouting the past few days and there are a million billion (I counted) mallards up here. I've never seen anything like it 15 years. The only thing I can figure is that front earlier in the week did indeed catch some migrating birds and pushed them down and over. I'm about 250 miles straight west of Tidewater.

There are about two million billion geese, too, but they're always here.

Quick side note...I ran to WalMart, ahh WalMart, at lunch. The hunting section was packed, with rifle season opening. One redneck kid was in the aisle as I walked in, and another redneck kid that apparently knew him came up and said, "hey what're you doing here?". The first redneck kid said, "aaw, just pickin up a spotlight so I can get a deer". No sh*t. : )~

Hope everyone knocks em out tomorrow, time to crash...
dodman
hunter

Postby recoil slinger » Sat Nov 16, 2013 9:08 pm

dodman wrote:Howdy from the mountains! In terms of migration, I've been scouting the past few days and there are a million billion (I counted) mallards up here. I've never seen anything like it 15 years. The only thing I can figure is that front earlier in the week did indeed catch some migrating birds and pushed them down and over. I'm about 250 miles straight west of Tidewater.

There are about two million billion geese, too, but they're always here.

Quick side note...I ran to WalMart, ahh WalMart, at lunch. The hunting section was packed, with rifle season opening. One redneck kid was in the aisle as I walked in, and another redneck kid that apparently knew him came up and said, "hey what're you doing here?". The first redneck kid said, "aaw, just pickin up a spotlight so I can get a deer". No sh*t. : )~

Hope everyone knocks em out tomorrow, time to crash...

idiot ring a bell
Drank some of daves koolaid, and cant stop looking in the mirror.
vice president of back bay blind retrieval association.
beast mode on
recoil slinger
hunter

Return to Virginia Duck Hunting