Pocket Change hunt - James river .

For information on local hunting and meet other hunters here in the Virginia duck hunting forum.

Moderators: swampbilly 1980, fowl mouth, Ichabod97, callncut

Re: Pocket Change hunt - James river .

Postby Big Iron » Fri Dec 06, 2013 10:40 am

I get it, legal is legal.

Had you guys rather hunt next to someone who is doing all the wrong things: skybusting, calling too much, when they KNOW a group is working your spread.....or......someone who is doing it right, letting YOUR birds work, holding off on shooting their birds until their feet are down, but might be killing an extra bird or two?
Big Iron
hunter

Postby swampbilly 1980 » Fri Dec 06, 2013 10:46 am

Big Iron wrote:I get it, legal is legal.

Had you guys rather hunt next to someone who is doing all the wrong things: skybusting, calling too much, when they KNOW a group is working your spread.....or......someone who is doing it right, letting YOUR birds work, holding off on shooting their birds until their feet are down, but might be killing an extra bird or two?

The latter for sure .
(But it depends on how much facepaint they're wearin' :yes: :lol3: )
Swampbilly1980- I got a feeva',..and the only cure is more Mergansers and face paint.
swampbilly 1980
Forum & State Moderator

Postby NativeGaelGunna » Fri Dec 06, 2013 11:30 am

Times have changed. As I told Imaduckin before whether you bait or not, birds having their own space is crucial. There will always be places certain species of ducks prefer. When we call at ducks we are always conscientious of other hunters. Same goes with other guys who hunt around us, pretty good team work keeping the birds moving this year (all around good ethics), but I will say every single time I see ducks turn that are working other spreads I do start a series of single note quacks. Works some times.

No one knows exactly what the other guy shoots nor do we always see the birds the other guy is calling at or shooting at. I dont think there are any malicious duck callers and shooters out there. If there are young guys calling alot, sooner or later they will figure out that being quiet is more effective for them until they learn to call. I have never really thought that other hunters mess up my hunting at all. Sure you see some double skybuster shots every once in a while and you can tell when a guy sucks at calling, but i dont think that effects me killing my ducks, shoot it probably makes them come to me more, and as for boats sometimes they are a good thing because they flush up birds when they feel like loafing.

As for the public lands hunting sucks mentality and everybody who hunts near me leagally sucks becasue they shoot bufleheads (they must watch Duck Dynasty too) i think its erroneous and if you are inclined to think that way you dont have enough patience. Shoot there are more buffleheads to shoot than any other duck. I love diver hunting. Im sure for all hunters, the ducks that you dont shoot very often are often "trophy birds" in our minds. Shooting a bunch of blackheads, ring necks, and drake buffleheads is a great moring for me.

And dont ever let any old timers tell you "son, you give ducks too much credit"... that doesnt make any sense to me. I brush my blinds and hunt ducks like turkeys and I do wear face paint because face masks are uncomfortable. The old timers were spoiled. They would shoot more pintails and black ducks in 1-2 days than me and my buddies shoot in 3 years. You can never ever give ducks enough credit is what I like to say. Its science, we go harder and longer for less ducks, might as well go on with it Mr.

And as for imoundments, I think the whole notion of creating/ enhancing/ restoring biologically valuable wetland habitat is fascinating. But legally hunting over bait isn't hunting. I took a young man earlier this year who has a mecca of a mecca of an impoundment. There was no wind and the tide was going out so we had to get real aggressive and I guided and dropped him and my brother off at our best spot with reed mat walls and bamboo and then I kayaked over and we had a great shoot sitting on marsh stools. What im getting at is anybody can shoot a duck in a baited impoundment (thats my interpretaion of Hollywood duck dynasty)Would i hunt an impoundment, you darn right. But theres just something about you, the water, the marsh, and the deeks that does it for me better. Quack.
Last edited by NativeGaelGunna on Sun Dec 08, 2013 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tanks Nayspahegh
NativeGaelGunna
hunter

Postby gooosehunter » Fri Dec 06, 2013 3:21 pm

Well said and I agree
Cheers
Dave
gooosehunter
hunter

Postby old1neck » Fri Dec 06, 2013 8:30 pm

You aren't even that much older than Craig and you're calling him a young man... Now that's funny. I always laugh when people say they are gonna hunt an impoundment, it's not hunting... It is shooting. No calling necessary, no decoys needed, the birds are coming for the corn, not because the water is nice.
What time is shooting time?
old1neck
hunter

Postby imaduckin up north » Sat Dec 07, 2013 8:34 am

shhhh neck youre givin away his secrets
,IS IT DUCK SEASON YET
THERE AINT NO DUCKS IN VA, ***** sporting goods told me so
you can educate ignorance
you can medicate crazy
but you cant fix stupid
imaduckin up north
hunter

Postby NativeGaelGunna » Sat Dec 07, 2013 8:34 pm

I don't think age has much to do with duck hunting after you have hunted enough number of days.The guys who know most about ducks in any specific area are the ones who watch them and hunt the most, pretty much it boils down to the guys who have seen the most birds know the most about birds. Long ago in regards to hunter knowledge and skill advancement one probably didnt have to go as many times as today before they really figured out their area. Its science, harder hunting for less birds nowadays. I've always wished I could go back in time a couple hundred years and just watch totally unpressured huge flocks of ducks and where they want to go you'd learn so much. Duga duga
Tanks Nayspahegh
NativeGaelGunna
hunter

Postby NativeGaelGunna » Sun Dec 08, 2013 1:20 pm

I'd like to amend what I said by calling myself semi-hypocritcal. Overall I like marshes and natural wetlands better. But I have no room to talk. I shouldn't bash anyone for having an impoundment. That is the same as someone who doesn't own marsh bashing someone who does just because they do own marsh.
Tanks Nayspahegh
NativeGaelGunna
hunter

Postby fowl mouth » Sun Dec 08, 2013 2:01 pm

NativeGaelGunna wrote:The guys who know most about ducks in any specific area are the ones who watch them and hunt the most, pretty much it boils down to the guys who have seen the most birds know the most about birds.

this ^^^^
Liberty '14-Broadcasting/Digital Media
DUCKHILL BEAU
What a man will do for a duck
#SOMEDUCKSINVA
fowl mouth
State Moderator

Postby recoil slinger » Sun Dec 08, 2013 2:09 pm

fowl mouth wrote:
NativeGaelGunna wrote:The guys who know most about ducks in any specific area are the ones who watch them and hunt the most, pretty much it boils down to the guys who have seen the most birds know the most about birds.

this ^^^^

and common sense is the ultimate tool
Boy, duck hunting is for fags and pirates. And I know your no pirate
vice president of back bay blind retrieval association.
beast mode on
recoil slinger
hunter

Previous

Return to Virginia Duck Hunting