So if the game warden says its legal…

For information on local hunting and meet other hunters here in the Virginia duck hunting forum.

Moderators: swampbilly 1980, Ichabod97, callncut, fowl mouth

So if the game warden says its legal…

Postby Dog Tired » Wed Nov 27, 2013 9:11 am

Am I still risking too much to hunt a spot that all other hunters I know believe to be illegal?

Face to face, explicit authorization from green jeans himself to park in a specific spot and that my county has no regulation on distance from a home to discharge a firearm. He did caveat that last bit with the whole threatening thing and shot raining down on the homes but gutter drains or big compared to steel #2s, right?

Who would hunt it and who wouldn't?
Dog Tired
hunter

Re: So if the game warden says its legal…

Postby dukcommander » Wed Nov 27, 2013 9:19 am

Well you could for sure hunt it at least once! :thumbsup:
"Believe half of what you see , and none of what you hear"
dukcommander
hunter

Postby Big Iron » Wed Nov 27, 2013 9:30 am

If you are worried that there is a pretty good chance you will hit houses with shot, you probably should not hunt there. I'm not sure how any sensible person could think otherwise.
Big Iron
hunter

Postby LEWDOG » Wed Nov 27, 2013 9:52 am

I can't wait to read what others post to your question for I have a spot just like it I think . I live at the head of a creek that has a well hunted mouth with no homes but up in the head of it the shoreline is covered with homes . I can't tell you how many times I have come home from a duck-less hunt to ditch full of Mallards .
We too don't have no regulation on distance from a home but I have to live here more so than to hunt here so I would never do a early morning shoot , I will never shoot more than 3 shots in a day and I know my wing shot zones and wait for the shots to come in them , last I feel wind is a must b/c of the echo for it's better to have to deal with one person on the creek then it is to deal with all of them at the same time .
One note one always must think about is a landowner feeds ducks and a hunter shoots over bait .

:hammer: LD :hammer:
A Market Hunter born 100 years to late
:)/\__________<*)((((>{
The hardest thing a duck hunter in Va. has to do is to Not read more into the blind laws then what is in black and white . Lewdog 1999
http://www.vawfa.org
LEWDOG
hunter

Postby Tangier Island Slacker » Wed Nov 27, 2013 9:55 am

Shoot my house, and we got a problem.
Tangier Island Slacker
hunter

Postby Dog Tired » Wed Nov 27, 2013 10:14 am

Big iron, no kidding, but consider that shot raining from the sky falls at terminal velocity for a bb. I've read it's 80fps or less. Be honest, it would never damage anything on a house, would it? That being said, you're right, no one in their right mind would shoot towards a house, got it. The law says I can put it at my back and shoot away though, so I guess I've made up my mind there. I admit I wouldn't be pleased if it were m home, but only because it wasn't me huntin it.

As far as landowners and hurt feelings, I can't say I feel like I should have to go out of my way-if the water is legal. Why should I have to ask permission when the almighty govt has already "entitled" me to it?
Dog Tired
hunter

Postby imaduckin up north » Wed Nov 27, 2013 12:14 pm

this is really a nobrainer, if its close enough for shot to hit or there is doubt then go elswhere
,IS IT DUCK SEASON YET
THERE AINT NO DUCKS IN VA, dicks sporting goods told me so
you can educate ignorance
you can medicate crazy
but you cant fix stupid
imaduckin up north
hunter

Postby LEWDOG » Wed Nov 27, 2013 1:54 pm

I'm sorry but I read something else into what DT said , green paints was telling DT was it's legal to hunt the place but if someone calls in a raining of shot and wants to take it to the court it is in their right and the hunter if caught will have a visit . It's a little hard to chew that a river hunter hasn't been within shot range for a raining of a home :no: .
A legal run and gun is the answer if this
The law says I can put it at my back and shoot away though,
and not this
if its close enough for shot to hit or there is doubt then go elswhere

What was it about 6 years or so there was a old woman trying to shut down the dyke marsh shoot with shot she got off her roof .

:huh: LD :hammer:
A Market Hunter born 100 years to late
:)/\__________<*)((((>{
The hardest thing a duck hunter in Va. has to do is to Not read more into the blind laws then what is in black and white . Lewdog 1999
http://www.vawfa.org
LEWDOG
hunter

Postby old1neck » Wed Nov 27, 2013 2:01 pm

Just don't shoot towards house and stack em up
What time is shooting time?
old1neck
hunter

Postby Mudgun » Wed Nov 27, 2013 2:10 pm

Shoot em on the water.
NOW WITH MORE 100% MORE VITRIOLIC SARCASM!!!
Mudgun
hunter

Postby Duck Diver » Wed Nov 27, 2013 2:34 pm

On a broader issue, less hunting specific. Law enforcement officers, including the state police website do not interpret the laws. They enforce them. So for them to tell you if its legal or not is usually against their policy. (doesnt mean a sole individual can't tell you if he personally would enforce the law)

If you don't believe me I can find a link for you from Virginia State Police website stating exactly that. I ran across this when researching firearms transport laws.

So my point is....you would be better off getting info from the district attorney than officer low grade pay.
Duck Diver
hunter

Postby Ducks27 » Wed Nov 27, 2013 2:39 pm

You could really upset some neighbors hunting a spot like that giving duck hunters a bad image. however maybe possible if talk to them they may not mind. We have a spot up a little creek where the bank to opposite side of our property has a house on it 150 yrds from the side of the blind. We talked to the home owners letting them know that we would hunt the blind and would not shoot at all towards their house and that the steel shot does not travel very far. So far we have not had a problem. anyways Just a thought
Ducks27
hunter

Postby vt.honker » Wed Nov 27, 2013 2:59 pm

imaduckin up north wrote:this is really a nobrainer, if its close enough for shot to hit or there is doubt then go elswhere

:hammer: X-2...WHAT HE SAID!!! If it is gonna hit,then you must...aah...quit :fingerpt: !!!
So many geese,so much ammo,so little time left!
vt.honker
hunter

Postby Dog Tired » Wed Nov 27, 2013 6:50 pm

Lew, I'm surprised anyone is seein it from my perspective. Thanks.

I'm not tryin to hunt something I think will cause me more trouble than its worth. It's a great spot and if the law says enjoy the land, I'm there. I guess I just don't want to deal with land owner belly aches.

In regards to giving duck hunters a bad name, all I can say is duck commander. The man's intentions are Godly/capitalistic, and I him for it, but now, every man with a beard = oh you must be a duck hunter! Now a pile of would be dog runnin deer hunters think its cooler to hunt ducks, and we all know there no ducks in va. Except the one i found at my vaguely legal spot.
Dog Tired
hunter

Postby Undrcoverrednek » Wed Nov 27, 2013 7:38 pm

I'm not trying to rain your parade, but if it's that good that close to houses, then someone is feeding them. Might be legal to shoot there, but the man will still get you for hunting over bait. I don't know if you are seriously considering hunting that close to houses. If you are, I suspect you don't own a house.

There a few things more important to me in life than killing ducks. Not being a jackass is one of them.
swampbilly 1980 wrote:I'm a poor man, but I'd pay good money to taste some of that juicy white meat...
Undrcoverrednek
hunter

Postby wanapasaki » Wed Nov 27, 2013 7:50 pm

Take your game elsewhere or get your ass kicked by some mom or dad concerned about their kids safety
Give a man a duck... Feed him for a day... Teach him to fowl hunt... Feed him for a lifetime...Teach him in your spot... Learn to hunt a different spot....
wanapasaki
hunter

Postby Dog Tired » Wed Nov 27, 2013 8:18 pm

I own two homes.

Looks like no one wants to wake up the neighbors every now and then-got it. There's really only a small portion of the place im talkin about that's within shooting distance, so that part is much less if a concern to me than just the parking to access it. Don't everybody get too worked up. You'd think I just shot at your place!
Dog Tired
hunter

Postby lbhansford » Fri Nov 29, 2013 7:47 am

my parents live on the water in the county and I always see birds at their house. It a small bay surrounded by house, one being the sheriff of york county. Asked him if it would be a green light on shooting from my parents yard and he said have at it. we shoot it once a year on a weekday and smoke mallards and geese but it sure does echo... like stupid loud. too easy of a hunt not to pull it once each though.

we leave the duck boat on the trailer, pull it up to the sea wall and shoot right out of it with 5 geese and 6 mallard deeks. no chance at shooting a house OR BOAT though.
lbhansford
hunter

Postby Dog Tired » Fri Nov 29, 2013 11:46 am

Did ok today. Nothing spectacular but the guns went bang and no shot landed on anyone's house. Guess the ducks on the end got cut off but there are a few of em
Dog Tired
hunter

Postby Mudgun » Fri Nov 29, 2013 12:42 pm

lbhansford wrote:..we leave the duck boat on the trailer, pull it up to the sea wall and shoot right out of it with 5 geese and 6 mallard deeks..

Please oh please take pics of this next time. That is hilarious. :thumbsup:
NOW WITH MORE 100% MORE VITRIOLIC SARCASM!!!
Mudgun
hunter

Postby lbhansford » Fri Nov 29, 2013 2:40 pm

will do. they are so used to junk in peoples yard and never having to guys jumping out with shotguns they mozy right along the shore or pitch in readily. First time i did it, i had motor problems at a boat ramp and had 45 minutes before legal shooting time. I looked at my buddy and said "i got an idea". damn if it didnt work. funny thing is the neighbors across the creek about 250 yards away came out on their dock after we let loose on the first flock and we had already sat back down. They were looking around everwhere and you could hear them saying " it sounded like it was right across the creek but i dont see anyone." they walked back in and in came the geese... boom boom boom..... they caught me out in the water retrieving our game on the second flock. :lol3:
lbhansford
hunter

Return to Virginia Duck Hunting