Potomac River boat advice

For information on local hunting and meet other hunters here in the Virginia duck hunting forum.

Moderators: swampbilly 1980, fowl mouth, callncut, Ichabod97

Potomac River boat advice

Postby Mike Diamond » Fri Nov 29, 2013 5:23 pm

I sold my duck boat last spring because I was moving to NoVa.

I can't stand not having a boat, so I'm buying one next week. But I'd rather keep the costs down if I can, so I'm looking at a 16x48.

I know it's fine for fishing (I used to fish all over the Potomac in a 12 foot Sears Gamefisher). But the winter is,well you all know how winter on a river is. I have hunted the lower James in a 16 footer. I've never been on the Potomac in winter, so I need some experienced advice.

So the question is, will a 16x48 do ok on the Potomac during duck season?

Thanks.
Mike Diamond
hunter

Re: Potomac River boat advice

Postby Jfk1700 » Fri Nov 29, 2013 6:14 pm

Which part of the Potomac?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2
Jfk1700
hunter

Postby Cajun1085 » Fri Nov 29, 2013 6:18 pm

I hunt upper Potomac with a 1646. no issues
GATORTAIL 1646 25GTR

SouthEast Gator-tail
Cajun1085
hunter

Postby Mike Diamond » Fri Nov 29, 2013 6:53 pm

I plan on hunting between Quantico and the WW bridge.

Cajun1085, are we talking about the same water? If so, good to know. Thanks.
Mike Diamond
hunter

Postby Cajun1085 » Fri Nov 29, 2013 10:38 pm

No not exactly. I hunt up around Potomac Maryland. I took a look at the map of where you are talking about. It looks like some big water, but I've never been down that far. The section I hunt is 1 1/2 to 5ft deep.
GATORTAIL 1646 25GTR

SouthEast Gator-tail
Cajun1085
hunter

Postby nvwaterfowl » Sat Nov 30, 2013 7:17 am

OK Mike here goes.

The Upper Potomac is everything were there is no tidal effect well above Key bridge. Everything thing else is the lower Potomac tidal waters. The area were you want to hunt is the lower potomac. Just remember the Potomac River is all in the state of Maryland to the low water mark on the Virginia side in tidal water and you have to have a Maryland hunting license and duck stamp. Also remember that Virginia has blind laws on alot of the creeks that feed the potomac. so be carefull were you hunt and read the blind laws if you can figure them out. Also anything above WW Birdge is DC. DO NOY HUNT THERE.
As for boat size I would not go out with less than an 18 footer it can get bad out there with just a little breeze. I know I used to fish that stretch all the time with a 20 ft Nitro and made a submarine out of it down by MT Vernon one year when the river had 5 and 6 ft swells. Read all the laws in maryland and virginia before going out there because some areas of the river like around ww bridge and hunting creek you CANNOT HUNT.
Not trying to put a damper on your hunt just be careful on that river and read the laws because MD DNR patrols that river heavily during the seasons.
I am sure there are those that will have a lot to dispute about this post. :beer: :beer: :fingerhead:
nvwaterfowl
hunter

Postby Mike Diamond » Sat Nov 30, 2013 5:48 pm

NV,

I'm very familiar with blind laws and understand that Charles I screwed Virginia by giving the Potomac to Maryland.

I also won't be out there when the weather is up. Hunting isn't too good when the dekes are getting knocked over.

But I take your point about an 18 footer. Thanks.
Mike Diamond
hunter

Postby Mike Diamond » Sun Dec 01, 2013 12:15 pm

Anyone else have a recommendation?
Mike Diamond
hunter

Postby old1neck » Sun Dec 01, 2013 5:38 pm

Search MarkD old post, he had a Lund but I don't remember what size.
What time is shooting time?
old1neck
hunter

Postby GoosinNoVa » Mon Dec 02, 2013 7:56 am

I hunt the lower on a 1648 mod v and I can tell you it gets nasty out there with a little wind. If its anything over 2ft chop stick to the creeks.
GoosinNoVa
hunter

Postby wvlippo » Tue Dec 03, 2013 2:35 pm

Different parts of the river need different gear. Lots of shallows and lot of open water that get nasty quick. What birds are you targeting? If you are traveling any kind of distance an 18'+ is a good bet and a vhull can be even better.
The right to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

The amendment that guarantees all the rest.
wvlippo
hunter

Postby Mike Diamond » Tue Dec 03, 2013 9:42 pm

Right now I'm seriously looking at an 18 x 60 Mod-V Side Console with a 60 4 stroke. I like it because it looks like a bass boat and I will be fishing out of it. And because I had an 18 x 60 tiller and it was really easy to hunt out of it on the James River.

But I haven't ruled out getting a Deep-V. My concern is I wouldn't be able to fish out of it as well, and they don't seem to come in camo colors.

I'm hoping to hunt a few spots, in the few areas that are on the Potomac in Virginia water. From Occoquan up.
Mike Diamond
hunter

Postby top o va » Wed Dec 04, 2013 5:41 am

Don't let the camo colors hold you up. I know a few guys that kill ducks out of a plain green boat. Parker paints are a wonderful thing.

Quick search of craigslist and I found this very affordable duck killing machine. http://smd.craigslist.org/boa/4101342584.html
top o va
hunter

Postby lbhansford » Wed Dec 04, 2013 9:25 am

i prefer the old rattle can camo myself. can make it match your area much better. Busch box stencils for the win!

thats a pretty awesome deal right there.
lbhansford
hunter

Postby bay gunner » Wed Dec 04, 2013 10:47 am

The resident Potomac hunters on here seem to prefer 18' or larger Lund v-hulls, and seem to fair quite well with them. I'd utilize their experience factor and go with the v-hull boat. I can tell you that going with a side console mod-v aluminum will make a great bass boat for the summer and an awful duck boat for open water hunting in the winter. You are going to get absolutely soaked running the river in a chop during the winter. And a mod-v aluminum 18-60 is going to knock your fillings out in any kind of winter chop. I have one and it rides terrible in winter seas. Great shallow water duck boat once you get to the marsh though.
bay gunner
hunter

Postby Big Iron » Wed Dec 04, 2013 10:56 am

Not to disagree with my mom's new boyfriend Blair, but you will be all day rattle canning a boat that size. Roll on some parker's and be done in an hour.
Big Iron
hunter

Postby lbhansford » Wed Dec 04, 2013 11:12 am

Big Iron wrote:Not to disagree with my mom's new boyfriend Blair, but you will be all day rattle canning a boat that size. Roll on some parker's and be done in an hour.

:lol3: that was good, glad to see you found your sense of humor. Iron is right on that note, guess i should clarrify roll it if you want to save some time, then stencil a pattern over it with rattlecan just to break up the color.

also if painting bare aluminum make sure to spray the whole thing down with 50/50 vinegar and water mix. THis will acid etch and allow the paint to bond 1000 times better.
lbhansford
hunter

Return to Virginia Duck Hunting