Hog Island

For information on local hunting and meet other hunters here in the Virginia duck hunting forum.

Moderators: swampbilly 1980, callncut, Ichabod97, fowl mouth

Hog Island

Postby G3duck » Sun Dec 01, 2013 6:17 am

Any reports on how it went for those that got a draw?
G3duck
hunter

Re: Hog Island

Postby G3duck » Tue Dec 03, 2013 6:23 am

No One???
G3duck
hunter

Postby lbhansford » Tue Dec 03, 2013 6:42 am

Theres some birds there
lbhansford
hunter

Postby Ducks27 » Tue Dec 03, 2013 6:43 pm

question is who has even won that hunt recently, i think you have a better chance hitting the mega millions (being sarcastic)
Ducks27
hunter

Postby Duck Diver » Thu Dec 05, 2013 10:50 am

Heading there Saturday - I'll post a report after.
Duck Diver
hunter

Postby romeodog » Thu Dec 12, 2013 10:28 am

Same thing as every year over at Hog. Early season is decent, and then all the birds are blind smart. That and all the skybusters don't help
romeodog
hunter

Postby Duckhunters3 » Sun Jan 05, 2014 7:48 pm

Any updates on the Hog Island Hunts? We`ve been hunting the Chickahominy with not much luck.
Thanks
Duckhunters3
Newb

Postby - Andy - » Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:15 am

Some buddies of mine had a draw right around Christmas. They did about as good as anyone. Killed a redhead a bluebill and a mallard. There was one cat and his buddy who got first pick and went someplace far away from the main blinds and killed 9 including a nice sprig.

What will burn you at hog island is the folks who just want to shoot the gun. Not even sky busting but shooting ruddys and coots.

Last time I hunted the main season there was about 5 years ago. We had some birds there too. Had sprigs on final approach three separate times and the next blind down from us would start in on swim-in ruddys, which they would then chase half way across the impoundment blazing away at trying to finish them off. It got old. We never fired the gun that day. The group with the "good blind" which I think was #5 that year, killed 13 ducks and the guy who had a swan tag got his swan.

I have had two really great early teal hunts there.
Tell your wife you love her, wrestle in the yard with your kids, shake your best friend's hand, let your dog sleep on the bed, and thank God for all the blessings in your life.
- Andy -
hunter

Postby Duck Diver » Mon Jan 06, 2014 1:17 pm

I hunted back when goose was closed. Not sure what date that was. Like Dec. 7

There were a lot of birds, but it was like they flew in phases...and got chased across the compounds. So despite the birds looking at your decoys, the last 3 blinds they flew past are shooting at the birds now in front of them and you can see the birds in front of your blind just flinching w/ each shot.

We killed 3 total but got my first gadwall. I think the best any blind did that day was 6. Not great, but I got to see a new place.

I can imagine the birds are wiser and even less comfortable landing near a blind at this point in the season.

I was told by the powers that be they are trying to set up a penalty for no shows on the lottery. If you win a lotto and don't show your account gets negative points so its less likely for you to win a lotto in the future.

Just allows people who want to hunt the ability to do so, and the folks who spend the 7 dollars and don't go well...now they can watch football without having to think about going on their lotto hunt.

The problem would be if you draw 2 lottos for the same day (different areas) or even if a friend gets a place you prefer. I would hope they have a way to cancel ahead of time w/ out penalty.
Duck Diver
hunter

Postby Duck Diver » Mon Jan 06, 2014 1:23 pm

11/16/13 8 selected parties (lotto winners) 20 hunters - 1 stand-by w/ 3 hunters 9 parties/ 23 hunters total

29 Ducks 7 Geese

11/23/13 7 selected parties w/ 20 hunters 2 stand by party w/ 6 hunters 9 party/26 hunter

35 Ducks & 6 Geese

11/30/2013 7 party / 18 hunters 1 standby w/ 3 hunters 8 party/21 hunters total

20 Ducks & 13 Geese
Duck Diver
hunter

Return to Virginia Duck Hunting