Season So Far

For information on local hunting and meet other hunters here in the Virginia duck hunting forum.

Moderators: swampbilly 1980, fowl mouth, Ichabod97, callncut

Season So Far

Postby duckbusterach » Mon Dec 02, 2013 2:26 pm

I am new to this forum and have been duck hunting for many years in Va. and Canada. Wanted to get everyone's take on season so far. We have had a better year already than we did all of last year,just hope it keeps up.
duckbusterach
hunter

Re: Season So Far

Postby recoil slinger » Mon Dec 02, 2013 3:13 pm

trolling on the river
Boy, duck hunting is for fags and pirates. And I know your no pirate
vice president of back bay blind retrieval association.
beast mode on
recoil slinger
hunter

Postby Aythya » Mon Dec 02, 2013 3:41 pm

We have killed some ducks but not much on the geese....really haven't been hunting in good goose spots, but there is always a potential. Cold weather has surely helped move some waterfowl down.
Get 'em close.
Aythya
hunter

Postby dukcommander » Mon Dec 02, 2013 5:25 pm

Been seeing lots of cans RUds and blues and a few pinners :thumbsup:
"Believe half of what you see , and none of what you hear"
dukcommander
hunter

Postby kahunna » Mon Dec 02, 2013 6:57 pm

Aythya - I understand that you and one other hombre single handedly held off an assault of 150 or more ring-necked suicide bombers that attacked without warning the other day! Do you too drink Dos Equis when you drink beer?
kahunna
hunter

Postby lbhansford » Mon Dec 02, 2013 7:27 pm

Been the best season in many years for me and my crew
lbhansford
hunter

Postby Ducks27 » Mon Dec 02, 2013 8:34 pm

divers have been pretty good and able to scrap a couple limits. Im hoping the sea ducks will stack up a little closer to the shore this year
Ducks27
hunter

Postby Undrcoverrednek » Mon Dec 02, 2013 8:37 pm

Corn is down from $6.50/bushel to just over four dollars. That really lowers the cost per bird of my operation!
swampbilly 1980 wrote:I'm a poor man, but I'd pay good money to taste some of that juicy white meat...
Undrcoverrednek
hunter

Postby mountairyplantation » Tue Dec 03, 2013 5:44 am

lbhansford wrote:Been the best season in many years for me and my crew

Ditto. We have a crapload of birds here on the farm. Hope they stick around. So far its been an excellent year.
mountairyplantation
DHC Sponsor

Postby Aythya » Tue Dec 03, 2013 7:20 am

kahunna wrote:Aythya - I understand that you and one other hombre single handedly held off an assault of 150 or more ring-necked suicide bombers that attacked without warning the other day! Do you too drink Dos Equis when you drink beer?

It is true...we had a ringneck beat down last week. Wish you would have made it, but I understand that you might have melted in the rain....not a true Pro from Dover move, but we will let this one transgression go. Cold front this weekend just in time.
Get 'em close.
Aythya
hunter

Postby fowl mouth » Tue Dec 03, 2013 9:10 am

Undrcoverrednek wrote:Corn is down from $6.50/bushel to just over four dollars. That really lowers the cost per bird of my operation!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Liberty '14-Broadcasting/Digital Media
DUCKHILL BEAU
What a man will do for a duck
#SOMEDUCKSINVA
fowl mouth
State Moderator

Postby Duck Diver » Fri Dec 06, 2013 5:07 am

2nd split for me was not very good.

I spent nearly every day trying new spots/ scouting to find some birds. I pretty much ran out of available properties to me over 6 different counties. Had 2 days with a lot of birds and the rest were 5 or less birds seen even off on the horizon.

Got to take my 63 year old father out though and get him his first wood duck and first mallard.
Duck Diver
hunter

Postby swampbilly 1980 » Fri Dec 06, 2013 6:16 am

fowl mouth wrote:
Undrcoverrednek wrote:Corn is down from $6.50/bushel to just over four dollars. That really lowers the cost per bird of my operation!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

:yes: :clapping:

Too funny!
Swampbilly1980- I got a feeva',..and the only cure is more Mergansers and face paint.
swampbilly 1980
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Islander Gunner » Fri Dec 06, 2013 7:46 am

very slow. Shooting just about every bird seen is not a good thing...numbers are so low, that there are no numbers to report. If you get a shot at "a duck" consider yourself lucky, and you better take them on the first pass cause they are moving on and not staying around here in "Starvation Bay"! :tongue:
We're not down here in the blind playing baby house!
Islander Gunner
hunter

Postby swampbilly 1980 » Fri Dec 06, 2013 8:00 am

Islander Gunner wrote:very slow. Shooting just about every bird seen is not a good thing...numbers are so low, that there are no numbers to report. If you get a shot at "a duck" consider yourself lucky, and you better take them on the first pass cause they are moving on and not staying around here in "Starvation Bay"! :tongue:

Got a silly question for 'ya I.G.-
Have ya'll had any noticeable, more than usual flocks that just circle a couple times and fly off and lite just out of shotgun range?
In other words-
They just won't decoy good lately? They give you a little interest, but won't completely commit.

Bet I've had 10 different times last week flocks that circle a couple times, get 60yds. and on the last pass when they get behind the blind go off and lite 60-100yds, away.
I've checked everything behind the blind, dang- there's nothing obvious back there that would make 'em second guess.

Had ducks in the decoys a couple weeks ago with less bushing and while working outside on the blind in the middle of the day.
Maybe I'll rip the bushing off all the blinds and sit outside in an open boat beside 'em the rest of the season :lol3:
Swampbilly1980- I got a feeva',..and the only cure is more Mergansers and face paint.
swampbilly 1980
Forum & State Moderator

Postby lbhansford » Fri Dec 06, 2013 8:42 am

Islander Gunner wrote:very slow. Shooting just about every bird seen is not a good thing...numbers are so low, that there are no numbers to report. If you get a shot at "a duck" consider yourself lucky, and you better take them on the first pass cause they are moving on and not staying around here in "Starvation Bay"! :tongue:

that is crazy, usually you guys are on'em. been seeing loads of birds. itching for tomorrow to get here. I haven't seent much of anything except geese on saltwater.
lbhansford
hunter

Postby Islander Gunner » Fri Dec 06, 2013 9:20 am

The decoy shy, blind shy,shore shy & don't want to play game happens all the time to us. Its kinda like this...you are on a trip to Disney World and there's several spots to stop for a break, do you want to stop at a Days Inn, Hampton Inn, Marriot or a small, ugly, run down, nasty little hotel sitting back off the road and infested with lice, mites, louse, cholera and everything else that scares ducks, not to mention that we have NO FOOD and all our Toliets are BROKE (this is our Hotel). We are trying to make a duck do something that it doesn't want to do in the first place and thats why they circle and land wide. I bet the birds that fly off after a wide inspection of the rig, giggle all the way down the coast! :lol3:
Islander Gunner
hunter

Postby lbhansford » Fri Dec 06, 2013 9:29 am

yep I agree there. Harder to pull them down when they are flying inland straight over Poq and seaford to head for a nice gun-free pond full of tasty goodies next to a county park. Heck maybe even have some wonder bread laying around! BONUS!
lbhansford
hunter

Postby Islander Gunner » Fri Dec 06, 2013 9:38 am

The only way we get any birds to decoy is because they are either sick, hurt, been shot, lost, dazed or confused and are just stopping long enough to get directions to get the h*** out of here! Our waterfowl hunting around here is just about always horrible, except for the few days each season when everything lines up: stars, moon, sun, etc. and you get a decent shoot.
Islander Gunner
hunter

Postby petrel » Fri Dec 06, 2013 9:42 am

We've had the slowest start in some time. Even when the birds are around, the whole decoy/blind shy deal is worse than ususal. I've heard remarks on this from several others from the potomac to back bay. Perhaps these birds got a little more pressure than usual along the way this year.

Glad to hear that some are having a banner year. Best of luck to all!
petrel
hunter

Postby lbhansford » Fri Dec 06, 2013 12:21 pm

yep I started avoiding saltwater like the plague this year and it has paid off. as for weary birds, seen a few but I must have gotten the rookies bc me and fowl had some of the dumbest birds ive ever seen last week. had a flock of 30 gadwalls come in feet down into the decoys while three of us were wrapping up the folding blind, moving all around face masks pulled down, pulling anchors, dog jumping all over the place and no one with gun in hand. Swampbilly immediately popped in my head with a voice whispering " DAMN DUCK PHYSICS" :lol3:
lbhansford
hunter

Postby fowl mouth » Fri Dec 06, 2013 2:36 pm

Yes gunner and my friends in central NC have seen more big ducks in there swamps than the past 3 years this past thanksgiving week. Which tells me birds must be coming more inland than down the coastline .. just my .02 They told me there were more big ducks than woodies...now thats something I never hear from them..

When I hunted pamlico first week of November I saw thousands. That told me a lot had already passed us and found the nice water (and corn) down there :yes:
Liberty '14-Broadcasting/Digital Media
DUCKHILL BEAU
What a man will do for a duck
#SOMEDUCKSINVA
fowl mouth
State Moderator

Postby Mallard Cutter » Fri Dec 06, 2013 6:14 pm

Haven't killed much so far. haven't hunted much so far, just not seeing the birds yet . Hopefully that will improve soon.
Mallard Cutter
hunter

Return to Virginia Duck Hunting