go pro users

For information on local hunting and meet other hunters here in the Virginia duck hunting forum.

Moderators: swampbilly 1980, fowl mouth, Ichabod97, callncut

go pro users

Postby recoil slinger » Tue Dec 03, 2013 4:11 pm

looking to get one. wondering what ya got and the model. most my damage is at low light and mid morning over deeks. please explain which model is best and why. thanks :thumbsup:
Boy, duck hunting is for fags and pirates. And I know your no pirate
vice president of back bay blind retrieval association.
beast mode on
recoil slinger
hunter

Re: go pro users

Postby imaduckin up north » Tue Dec 03, 2013 5:23 pm

in all seriousness recoil can ya lose the beast mode thing
,IS IT DUCK SEASON YET
THERE AINT NO DUCKS IN VA, ***** sporting goods told me so
you can educate ignorance
you can medicate crazy
but you cant fix stupid
imaduckin up north
hunter

Postby recoil slinger » Tue Dec 03, 2013 5:25 pm

imaduckin up north wrote:in all seriousness recoil can ya lose the beast mode thing

does it really bother you? stirring a pot mr imma
Boy, duck hunting is for fags and pirates. And I know your no pirate
vice president of back bay blind retrieval association.
beast mode on
recoil slinger
hunter

Postby Undrcoverrednek » Tue Dec 03, 2013 5:51 pm

The ginormous signature is a little obnoxious.
swampbilly 1980 wrote:I'm a poor man, but I'd pay good money to taste some of that juicy white meat...
Undrcoverrednek
hunter

Postby va marsh rat » Tue Dec 03, 2013 5:58 pm

I tried filming a duck hunt last year with a GoPro Hero, the original model. On playback, the screen was black until after sunup. Just not enough light for it to "see." I have since upgraded to a GoPro Hero 3 Black Edition, but I haven't tried filming another duck hunt yet. Hope to give it a try this year. I'll have to look thru my users manual to see if there's any specific low-light modes.

In my opinion, a GoPro is only good for filming stuff within 15-20 feet. Beyond that, detail is lost due to the fish eye lens. You could mount one in your boat/blind that faces the shooters to get shots of people shooting. You could put one out in your decoy spread on a float or a stick in the mud to get birds decoying, but then you have to be careful about not shooting it. For the quickness and distance of decoying birds or kill shots, an SLR is probably more appropriate

Here's my chance to brag. I filmed this last January in Costa Rica. 10 sailfish in 2 days, one of which I caught on a fly rod. The film contains a mix of GoPro footage and SLR footage. The GoPro stuff is mostly the mounted/underwater shots, and the SLR was used to get most of the around the boat shots.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KObVOSOS-hE
va marsh rat
hunter

Postby imaduckin up north » Tue Dec 03, 2013 6:48 pm

i like to stir the pot :thumbsup:
,IS IT DUCK SEASON YET
THERE AINT NO DUCKS IN VA, ***** sporting goods told me so
you can educate ignorance
you can medicate crazy
but you cant fix stupid
imaduckin up north
hunter

Postby ipittythefoo » Tue Dec 03, 2013 9:29 pm

I have the GoPro Silver+. I'm still trying to figure it out. Doesn't work in low light. Pictures are real grainy until the sun is up. Wi-Fi kills the battery.
ipittythefoo
hunter

Postby b_n_wGunner » Wed Dec 04, 2013 7:44 am

I have a GoPro Hero 3 and 3+. They are ok, but I have software problems and SD card problems with both cameras. The battery life sucks, so I have to carry a bunch of spares. Besides that, I think they are good. If you really want to film a hunt, you need a real camera. The GoPros can give a unique point of view, but you lose the detail and close ups provided by a real camera.

I have filmed a bunch of hunts with mine, and much more fishing. I am still figuring out how to film a hunt so it looks good, but I am getting there. I have used it mounted on my head, the gun, and the boat; all provided mediocre results. Some cool POV shots while looking down the gun barrel at geese back peddling around 10 yards. Body mounted gives too much camera shake for my liking. My best setup was putting it on a stake about 5 yards into the water this past weekend, right on the waters surface. It gave a great POV, and no camera shake. This weekend I am going to mount it on the back of my layout boat, elevated high enough so when I sit up, I do not block it. This should give a sweet POV of birds working in tight, and watching the shooter shoot.

My best hunting settings are 1080, 30fps, medium FOV, WIFI off. This gives about 1:45 of continuous film. The medium FOV will cover a 30-40 yard radius in all directions forward of the lense. You can clearly see birds working, committing, and dying, provided they are inside of 30 yards. Species ID is tough, but it does look good. Low light performance is excellent with the 3 and even better with the 3+. I turn it on right at LST, and we were shooting ducks below the treeline 5 minutes after, and you could see them work and die.

I wish it had better battery life without the battery bacpac, I wish it had a quicker way to get filming, like the VIRB record slide, and I wish they would fix the software and SD card issues. Still, I feel that GoPro has the market cornered for now. I really love the cameras for fishing applications, above and below the water!
GROUND POUNDIN THEM GEESE AND ARKANSAW'N THEM DUCKS
b_n_wGunner
hunter

Postby Tangier Island Slacker » Wed Dec 04, 2013 8:53 am

Everything about the reply above is spot on, save for the low light performance in those settings. I find it takes 10 or 15 after legal, but that might be because of the different light conditions in the hills as opposed to the flat land and open water.

I'm told that leaving the settings in continuous BEAST MODE solves any issues, but can't confirm since I'm not cool enough to be given the code that unlocks it.
Tangier Island Slacker
hunter

Postby b_n_wGunner » Wed Dec 04, 2013 9:11 am

Good point TIS. Most of the low light filming has been done over open water with clear skies, and a wide horizon. Lots of light to work with even below the distant treeline. Cloudy conditoons, pond/Creek hunt, timber hunts and hunts in the hills are a little different story. If you can back light the birds with the sky, it's OK but when they get in they are tough to see. Stillgood ffootage watching them work against the sky!
b_n_wGunner
hunter

Postby Duck Diver » Wed Dec 04, 2013 4:54 pm

Save your money -

I had a go pro hero 2 (newest at the time last year)

Advertises good in low light.

low light to them means about 1.5 hours after sunrise....

Everything 30 minutes before was grainy and u could barely tell there were ducks in the video.

The recoil is crap too. I used mine on my head. Would have been better on the gun barrel i think.

Each time I shot your head moves so much that later, the slow motion shows almost nothing.

Took it back , got a refund.

Also - I think...you can record for 4 hours. Not sure what resolution etc that is but..

Thats almost 4 gigs of file.

It takes a good bit to xfer (time) that to your hard drive, where you better have plenty of space.

Then you can convert it to your favorite video editing software format, another 4 gigs and a long time to convert. Or use the piece of crap software they provide that barely works and has no features.

Ok, so now we've xfered the file, converted it, we are now going to browse thru the 4 hours, to get the 5 minutes of good shooting you want to put into your you tube video. After you find the short frames u want, u select them, and rebuild a new video, hopefully in a format that youtube likes.

So.... your bouncy, poor light camera recorded for 4 hours, it took you about 8 hours of xfering and editing and now you have 5 minutes of crap video you can post on you tube.

I've seen some good videos, but they aren't early morning and those guys have spent a LOT of time editing and recording to get that footage.

my .02
Duck Diver
hunter

Postby b_n_wGunner » Thu Dec 05, 2013 6:16 am

I should have specified this earlier, but I run the BLACK series cameras. There is a huge difference between the white, silver and black. There were major improvements from the 3Black to the 3+Black. I think the performance of the 3+ is twice that of the 3. There is no comparison between Black and the white/silver. You get what you pay for in terms of performance.

Editing the footage can be cumbersome. You must be very familiar with a PC in order to have much success. GoPro's editing software has been vastly improved in the past 6 months in order to accommodate the heavy files. I work off of a 1TB external hard drive in order to process footage. I have roughly 500GB of finished footage stored, which was processed from about 1.5TB of raw footage. I think a high quality PC is a must to process the footage, otherwise you will be frustrated.

In any case, you aren't going to get TV show quality footage from a GoPro alone, unless maybe you utilize many cameras to get multiple angles. Its not what they were designed for, and if you go into it thinking you will produce a hunting TV show on gopro footage alone, you will be very disappointed.
b_n_wGunner
hunter

Return to Virginia Duck Hunting