next excursion

For information on local hunting and meet other hunters here in the Virginia duck hunting forum.

Moderators: swampbilly 1980, fowl mouth, callncut, Ichabod97

next excursion

Postby lbhansford » Wed Dec 11, 2013 8:50 am

Anyone done any random big game hunts out of state? kicking around the idea of instead of an ND trip next year, going after an elk, moose, antelope, or pronghorn or something along those lines.. I know prices vary for tags between states and looking to do freelance. any ideas?
lbhansford
hunter

Re: next excursion

Postby swampbilly 1980 » Wed Dec 11, 2013 9:05 am

Dang ib, you tired of Duckhuntin' already!!??
:umm:
:lol3:
Swampbilly1980- I got a feeva',..and the only cure is more Mergansers and face paint.
swampbilly 1980
Forum & State Moderator

Postby lbhansford » Wed Dec 11, 2013 9:23 am

swampbilly 1980 wrote:Dang ib, you tired of Duckhuntin' already!!??
:umm:
:lol3:

nah man, LOVE duck hunting! This has to be one of my best years ive ever had even if i quit tomorrow. after taking that trip Northwest in OCtober I told myself that every year i am going to do a once in a lifetime hunts/fishing missions if i can afford it. Just have always wanted to do a freelance big game hunt for something incredible. shot plenty of nice deer in VA but how cool would it be to take a 6x6 elk?

also on the list would be: salmon run trip in Alaska
Kodak brown bear hunt
Tarpon trip
Moose
Elk

I like to set a goal and try to achieve it.
lbhansford
hunter

Postby MarkPat06 » Wed Dec 11, 2013 9:43 am

Where did you hunt in the NW? I am going next year for a week to North Dakota, just curious where you went and any lessons learned/advice.
MarkPat06
hunter

Postby skimerhorn » Wed Dec 11, 2013 9:46 am

I think the cheapest and easiest to do would be a wyoming antelope hunt. If you were goin to do a elk I'd pick Colorado for that.I think the antelope tag is about $200 then the elk is about $550. Then its whether you wana get a guide or try it yourself. A guided antelope is about $2000 and a elk betweeen $4-5000 I think. I've looked into them, both are on my hitlist. Alaska would be nice, but that's big money to go up there.
skimerhorn
hunter

Postby skydog » Wed Dec 11, 2013 9:52 am

Elk would be at the top of my list...haven't looked a whole lot into it yet, but tags are more attainable (I think) than Moose, which are very limited for non-residents in a lot of areas. Also helps that it's probably the best tasting game out there and the thought of a big 6x6 hanging above the mantle is pretty awesome. Freelance would definitely be the way to go as most elk guides out there charge ridiculous sums of money. Again, haven't looked into it much but New Mexico may be a good option as well.
skydog
hunter

Postby bcduck » Wed Dec 11, 2013 11:29 am

skimerhorn wrote:I think the cheapest and easiest to do would be a wyoming antelope hunt. If you were goin to do a elk I'd pick Colorado for that.I think the antelope tag is about $200 then the elk is about $550. Then its whether you wana get a guide or try it yourself. A guided antelope is about $2000 and a elk betweeen $4-5000 I think. I've looked into them, both are on my hitlist. Alaska would be nice, but that's big money to go up there.

What he said, be easier and cheaper to freelance an antelope hunt. Would take a lot of work to find a nice Elk if you didn't know where to go, you would probably need to chalk one year up for scouting and getting to know an area if you were going to have a good chance to get a nice elk, unless you are really lucky. If you want to go one time and have a good chance of an Elk you should get a guide on private land would be your best bet.
bcduck
hunter

Postby lbhansford » Wed Dec 11, 2013 11:59 am

spent some time researching this morning and found out some good knowledge. looks like i am going to start putting in for the Moose lottery in Vermont and Maine. 1 in 120 shot of winning and you are allowed to bring a co-permitee. if you win its 500 bucks for nine days in vermont and 7 days in maine. THe good thing in those states is non-res big game is only 100.00 so you can take a bear or turkey if you bag a moose early in the week as the seasons overlap.

found Montana to be the cheapest for Elk and you can use your tag on a mountain lion or bear if you want instead if the opportunity presented itself on the last day or something. Plus wolves are 45.00 each. now that would be a bad ass pelt.
lbhansford
hunter

Postby skimerhorn » Wed Dec 11, 2013 1:09 pm

Yea that would be cool to get a wolf. The reason I looked into a elk hunt in Colorado, is from what I've read they have the largest elk population in the country. But 1 in 120 odds are pretty good for a moose tag.
skimerhorn
hunter

Postby lbhansford » Wed Dec 11, 2013 1:18 pm

thats what i was thinking and they had an 80% success rate on tags in 2012 so gotta be some bullwinkles running around
lbhansford
hunter

Postby skimerhorn » Wed Dec 11, 2013 2:45 pm

I will say if you do make it up to Maine, I would definitely try to get in a grouse hunt. It's a good bit of walking but I bet it would be fun.
skimerhorn
hunter

Postby rlh01 » Thu Dec 12, 2013 8:26 am

Free Lancing is great if you like camping out in the fall and winter and enjoy being outdoors. But your chances of getting on to quality game is another issue. Having lived in the North, West & Mid West and the Upper Peninsula and hunted in Alaska, British Columbia, Colorado, Montana, and Wyoming my advice is to use a quality outfitter for any of your hunts. Even driving or flying out to a hunt costs money. Days away from work add a cost. I have used several outfitters and have found the small operations often over promise just to get your business as they are starving. I think Cabela's is probably one of the better outfitters for the price. If you want a six-by-six elk then you better be really selective. Look at a place called Three Forks Ranch in Colorado. They can get you some really nice quality bulls and lots of them. But be prepared to pull out your checkbook. Outfitters have their favorite customers and will know where they have seen game and giver a preference for their repeat customers. So an outfitter isn't going to give you his prize bull he has tucked away in the woods on a call out of the blue. I have had great hunts with small ranches that offer hunts on their own property. Frankly I have given up on big game hunting as it is just a question of how thick your wallet is and this is the determination of success. Alter a while you really learn which outfitter can produce; but, there is always a cost involved. Additional tip--Book your next big game hunt as you are pulling off your boots from your most recent hunt. If you are not booked a year in advanced or more you are not dealing with the quality outfitters that produce results.
rlh01
hunter

Postby imaduckin up north » Thu Dec 12, 2013 9:23 am

anyone that goes on a elk hunt better be in the best physical shape of his life, ive heard its really rough on ya especially doing sprints up a hill for several hundred yards to head off a bull. that sucker better walk into camp and hang his self on a pole if im goin after them. and even then someones goin to have to wake me from my nap :yes:
,IS IT DUCK SEASON YET
THERE AINT NO DUCKS IN VA, dicks sporting goods told me so
you can educate ignorance
you can medicate crazy
but you cant fix stupid
imaduckin up north
hunter

Postby lbhansford » Thu Dec 12, 2013 9:31 am

I appreciate the advice rlh but for me outfitters are out of the question. I would rather shoot a cow elk by myself than to shell out a pile of money for a trophy. I feel like society is being conditioned more and more that everything has a price tag. Reward should be measured in efoort not dollars. There are plenty of no shots no pay places right here close by i could take a buffalo, elk, or stag if i wanted to pay for a kill but =that is not hunting. I want to travel by truck to a place i choose on public land (like a national forest or something along those lines), set up camp, find my game without a guide, harvest and pack it out. I may not suceed my first attempt but it would still be more rewarding than a paid guided hunt. That to me is the spirit of hunting no matter what the game animal is. Plus im a 31 year old with a 9 month old so money is kinda tight so keeping the price down is an added bonus to the do it yourself approach. not knocking you for what you have done by any means, as we all have our own preferences.

probably in the best shape ive been in since high school Ima and THAT is why now is the time. :lol3:

looking like the moose lottery for me, got a lot of feedback from a couple guys up there that said IF i can get drawn, I stand a good chance at a nice Bull. Now its just rolling the dice once a year.
lbhansford
hunter

Postby callncut » Thu Dec 12, 2013 10:10 am

Ibh, I've got relatives and friends up in Maine. Some of them have been putting in for the moose tag for 20+yrs with no luck, I've been trying for awhile myself. I've decided I'm going west for elk and mulies on a freelance hunt in the near future. I haven't decided which state but there are several states you can buy bull elk tags with no problems. If your interested shoot me a pm and we can trade notes.
callncut
Super Moderator

Postby lbhansford » Thu Dec 12, 2013 12:05 pm

callncut wrote:Ibh, I've got relatives and friends up in Maine. Some of them have been putting in for the moose tag for 20+yrs with no luck, I've been trying for awhile myself. I've decided I'm going west for elk and mulies on a freelance hunt in the near future. I haven't decided which state but there are several states you can buy bull elk tags with no problems. If your interested shoot me a pm and we can trade notes.

Thanks calln sounds like a plan. you been accumulating points for 20 years and still no draw? Damn... that doesnt sound good. I found the cheapest and most abundant elk hunting to be montana from what im seeing. ill shoot ya a PM when i got some time.
lbhansford
hunter

Postby Tangier Island Slacker » Thu Dec 12, 2013 1:02 pm

Been all over the country for big and small game, and Alabama's black belt takes the cake for a game-rich environment. Deer, pigs, ducks, quail, predators... that region is infested with game, puts even Kansas to shame. Their deer rut is in mid-January, making the timing right for ducks. Why it's not a more known and poular destination is beyond me, probably just the fact that it's Alabama and the best hunting isn't until January.
Tangier Island Slacker
hunter

Postby lbhansford » Thu Dec 12, 2013 1:23 pm

Tangier Island Slacker wrote:Been all over the country for big and small game, and Alabama's black belt takes the cake for a game-rich environment. Deer, pigs, ducks, quail, predators... that region is infested with game, puts even Kansas to shame. Their deer rut is in mid-January, making the timing right for ducks. Why it's not a more known and poular destination is beyond me, probably just the fact that it's Alabama and the best hunting isn't until January.

now that sounds like my kinda combo hunt.. were you a resident at the time or out of state license?
lbhansford
hunter

Postby skimerhorn » Thu Dec 12, 2013 2:09 pm

What about goin to Florida for a hog or gator hunt? I think there's plenty of both down there to get. Would be something different that's for sure.
skimerhorn
hunter

Postby callncut » Fri Dec 13, 2013 6:28 am

lbhansford wrote:
callncut wrote:Ibh, I've got relatives and friends up in Maine. Some of them have been putting in for the moose tag for 20+yrs with no luck, I've been trying for awhile myself. I've decided I'm going west for elk and mulies on a freelance hunt in the near future. I haven't decided which state but there are several states you can buy bull elk tags with no problems. If your interested shoot me a pm and we can trade notes.

Thanks calln sounds like a plan. you been accumulating points for 20 years and still no draw? Damn... that doesnt sound good. I found the cheapest and most abundant elk hunting to be montana from what im seeing. ill shoot ya a PM when i got some time.

I haven't been doing it that long , but relatives and friends have.
callncut
Super Moderator

Postby Tangier Island Slacker » Mon Dec 16, 2013 12:05 pm

lbhansford wrote:
Tangier Island Slacker wrote:Been all over the country for big and small game, and Alabama's black belt takes the cake for a game-rich environment. Deer, pigs, ducks, quail, predators... that region is infested with game, puts even Kansas to shame. Their deer rut is in mid-January, making the timing right for ducks. Why it's not a more known and poular destination is beyond me, probably just the fact that it's Alabama and the best hunting isn't until January.

now that sounds like my kinda combo hunt.. were you a resident at the time or out of state license?

Just a visitor. We were on private land, but I remember there being a good bit of public ground in the area. Probbaly take a few days -- or even a few visits -- to get it figured out. If you're freelancing, might be best to pick 2 or 3 and just rotate them, use past experience to advantage. In my experience, always being new to something is going to lead to a lot of frustration.
Tangier Island Slacker
hunter

Postby sky_addiction » Mon Dec 16, 2013 9:50 pm

IBH, I'm fairly new to the state (and to the forum). Waterfowl is my #1 passion. Unfortunately, I moved to the Shenandoah Valley and the pickings are slim! You guys are right there are no ducks in VA! :wink:. I used to live in the north west and I have some personal contacts that you may be interested in for some big game hunts. PM me if interested.
sky_addiction
Newb

Postby missybuto » Wed Dec 18, 2013 10:48 am

Best deal in town,,Drop off hunts in Alaska.. Can drive to a lot of places in Ak. But as a general rule the animals are larger and less wary the further you get from easy drop off spots..Shot Cariboo and moose ...lots of ducks and ptarmigan. BLACK BEARS everywhere that like to stalk you and determine if you can be a food source. Float plane drop offs are the best bets for LARGE critters.. BUT A RULE TO REMEMBER >>>>YOU HAVE TO CARRY THE CRITTER OUT...They take it seriously the GAME LAWS AND wanton waste rules........READ THE RULES ...COMMITT TO MEMORY> FOR THE COST FOR THE OUT-OF-STATER IS 5 figures PLUS .
missybuto
Newb

Postby missybuto » Wed Dec 18, 2013 11:02 am

For your interest....Moose attack injury is the number 1 hunter animal encounter issue in Ak. More than all the other animals put together due to their nature,attitude and poor eyesite..While fishing if a bear comes along leave to give him a wide berth ..Usually leave him your creed .. Young grizs. like out-of-staters to scare off and of course momma Grizs. LEAVE THE AREA..Shoot one of these Even for self-protection ..its like you shot the PREZ. You won't be seeing daylight for years and $ payback for the rest of your life. LEARN the laws before you go.
missybuto
Newb

Postby lbhansford » Wed Dec 18, 2013 11:45 am

missybuto wrote:Best deal in town,,Drop off hunts in Alaska.. Can drive to a lot of places in Ak. But as a general rule the animals are larger and less wary the further you get from easy drop off spots..Shot Cariboo and moose ...lots of ducks and ptarmigan. BLACK BEARS everywhere that like to stalk you and determine if you can be a food source. Float plane drop offs are the best bets for LARGE critters.. BUT A RULE TO REMEMBER >>>>YOU HAVE TO CARRY THE CRITTER OUT...They take it seriously the GAME LAWS AND wanton waste rules........READ THE RULES ...COMMITT TO MEMORY> FOR THE COST FOR THE OUT-OF-STATER IS 5 figures PLUS .

I would NEVER pay 5 figures for a hunt trip... PERIOD. you do know i am a 31 year old new dad that is middle class (meaning poorer than most) if i had 5 figures I wouldnt have a badace boat in the driveway with a blown motor :lol3:

I will stick to luck of the draw anda 500.00 dollar hunt. sure alaska meat taste just about like vermont meat... like MOOSE :thumbsup:
lbhansford
hunter

Next

Return to Virginia Duck Hunting