Plum Tree Island Quota Hunt

For information on local hunting and meet other hunters here in the Virginia duck hunting forum.

Moderators: swampbilly 1980, Ichabod97, callncut, fowl mouth

Plum Tree Island Quota Hunt

Postby psufan717 » Wed Dec 11, 2013 5:08 pm

I have been selected to participate in a Plum Tree Island hunt. My dates are on and after Christmas. Has anyone been on this hunt? As always, good advice in duck hunting will often make all the difference in your experience. If anyone could offer any, or be available for questions, please pm me or email me at psufan717@gmail.com. Thank You, and Good Hunting Fella's.
- Adam
psufan717
Newb

Re: Plum Tree Island Quota Hunt

Postby Mudgun » Fri Dec 13, 2013 8:39 am

I did that hunt a few years back. There is a public launch pretty close. Basically you come out of the creek and run into the islands. Watch the tide, there are some skeeeeeeny flats out there. The big water side can get whipped up pretty good. When we hunted it, you were "supposed" to hunt from these 2x4 and burlap "duck blinds" that looked terrible. We just sat on the bank. Good birds seemed pretty spooky (gadwalls and geese mostly).
The second day we hunted the wind was good for the big water side of the island and we shot Bluebills, Buffleheads and a Scoter. I'll post some pics tonight. It was an interesting hunt. I wish they would open up more of the land for hunting.
NOW WITH MORE 100% MORE VITRIOLIC SARCASM!!!
Mudgun
hunter

Postby lbhansford » Fri Dec 13, 2013 10:56 am

Mudgun wrote:I did that hunt a few years back. There is a public launch pretty close. Basically you come out of the creek and run into the islands. Watch the tide, there are some skeeeeeeny flats out there. The big water side can get whipped up pretty good. When we hunted it, you were "supposed" to hunt from these 2x4 and burlap "duck blinds" that looked terrible. We just sat on the bank. Good birds seemed pretty spooky (gadwalls and geese mostly).
The second day we hunted the wind was good for the big water side of the island and we shot Bluebills, Buffleheads and a Scoter. I'll post some pics tonight. It was an interesting hunt. I wish they would open up more of the land for hunting.

alot of the surrounding land is small private parcels. Hunted the lottery hunt there twice, both were bluebird days and sucked. Shoot some good birds around the surrounding area from a couple permit blinds though.
lbhansford
hunter

Postby Islander Gunner » Sat Dec 14, 2013 4:09 pm

Get out there before your hunt dates and get familiar with the area and the tide (2.5 ft tidal fluctuation). Hopefully, you'll have a weather front of some sort to move some birds. As of right now, there are NO big ducks, only smaller dippers and hairy heads. There have been some swans moving thru the area. The blinds on the outside shore on the river are your best bet if the wind is off shore. Be careful as the River will get very rough when the winds are from the North. BTW, If you bring a dog, be mineful, the bank is loaded with razor mussells and they'll split a dog's pad in a heart beat. Good Luck!
We're not down here in the blind playing baby house!
Islander Gunner
hunter

Return to Virginia Duck Hunting