How do you guys do it?

For information on local hunting and meet other hunters here in the Virginia duck hunting forum.

Moderators: swampbilly 1980, callncut, Ichabod97, fowl mouth

How do you guys do it?

Postby N2hunt » Wed Dec 11, 2013 5:57 pm

So I am fairly new to the sport and the area, I have met one guy whom I can hunt with and has a decent spot. So my problem has been trying to find more places to go, or more of it is actually getting permission to hunt swamps. I feel I am batting 0 on this one. Do you guys have any tips on talking land owners into letting you hunt there property. Also looking into getting a small boat but the blind laws around here make my head spin. Best of luck yo you guys the rest of the season
N2hunt
hunter

Re: How do you guys do it?

Postby skimerhorn » Wed Dec 11, 2013 6:13 pm

Hit the lottery so you can afford to go places. If not, just hope to run across a spot or someone that's nice.
skimerhorn
hunter

Postby N2hunt » Wed Dec 11, 2013 6:17 pm

Lol it is what 400 million now
N2hunt
hunter

Postby swampbilly 1980 » Wed Dec 11, 2013 6:57 pm

We could tell you N2- but then we'd have to,.. well,..you know,...kill 'ya :lol3:
Just messin' :wink:

Welcome to the forum :welcome:

Some of us are blessed enough to have lived in the same area for years and years, and know a lot of folks we grew up with that own property. Some of us have friends who, know people , (who also know people, who also know people), that own land and you know the "rest of the story". I myself played in a local band for a long time and met a ton of folks through music.
Got to hunt some places as a result.

One place I hunt for example, I aquired by knocking on some doors, and another place I have because I swept the floors of a drug store for someones' great grandfather when I was a teen growing up for a few X-tra bucks after school. The landowner remembered me.

Another place I rent.

Some folks simply hunt public land and water and do a LOT of scouting. I hunt a floatin' blind too, and do a LOT of scouting.
Lemme' tell 'ya-
A map,..a reliable GPS unit,..and good working knowledge of blind laws is a good bet if you want to find a place to hunt on public water.
Don't give up.
Swampbilly1980- I got a feeva',..and the only cure is more Mergansers and face paint.
swampbilly 1980
Forum & State Moderator

Postby LEWDOG » Thu Dec 12, 2013 12:04 am

http://www.findgame.org/ Get a boat and hunt one of these http://www.dgif.virginia.gov/wmas/ and at the end of the hunt on the way back home scout , gps , and knock on doors . Once home or work , talk fowl on these forums (note drop the new guy stuff and never talk about an X outside of PM-s) :wink: .
Welcome to the board !!!

:hammer: LD :welcome:
A Market Hunter born 100 years to late
:)/\__________<*)((((>{
The hardest thing a duck hunter in Va. has to do is to Not read more into the blind laws then what is in black and white . Lewdog 1999
http://www.vawfa.org
LEWDOG
hunter

Postby N2hunt » Thu Dec 12, 2013 7:03 pm

Thanks for the advice, would love to get a boat for multiple purposes but will probably have to hold on that. I am having my first child in March but I am already looking to get him into the outdoors as my father raised me, maybe even some duck hunting. I do have one question that maybe you guys can shed some light on. That is how often do you guys hunt a spot, right now the only location I have is amazing, but I don't want to over hunt it so I was thinking every two or three weeks? Hopefully I 'll get a new location by next year and I can rotate some "is this something you guys do"?
N2hunt
hunter

Postby skydog » Thu Dec 12, 2013 8:39 pm

:welcome: :beer:

If you're the only one hunting the spot and we're getting in new birds, you can most definitely be out there more than once every 2-3 weeks. I would say you'd be fine hunting it once or twice a week without buring it out. In years past I've hit the same hole every day for the last 4-5 days of the season and plenty of birds were still flying there by the last day.
skydog
hunter

Postby Mugzwump » Thu Dec 12, 2013 8:48 pm

Yea you can hunt a spot for a week straight. When it starts to cool off, give it a few days. You'll know when ya burnt it, but it'll come back faster than you think.

Mugz.
Mugzwump
hunter

Postby dodman » Fri Dec 13, 2013 4:22 am

N2hunt wrote:So I am fairly new to the sport and the area, I have met one guy whom I can hunt with and has a decent spot. So my problem has been trying to find more places to go, or more of it is actually getting permission to hunt swamps. I feel I am batting 0 on this one. Do you guys have any tips on talking land owners into letting you hunt there property. Also looking into getting a small boat but the blind laws around here make my head spin. Best of luck yo you guys the rest of the season

Another thought to keep in mind is that you're within an easy 1/2 day's drive of some pretty good guided hunts on some pretty good water, and you can pull them off fairly cheaply sometimes. Once or twice a year is a great way to get on some new areas, get some new perspectives, learn some new stuff, and have a HELLUVA fun time. :tongue:
dodman
hunter

Postby N2hunt » Fri Dec 13, 2013 9:46 am

You know I have definitely thought about the guided hunt, this may sound ridiculous but I feel I need to get my shooting skills a little better for ducks, so much different then deer or even Skeet
N2hunt
hunter

Postby Dog Tired » Sat Dec 14, 2013 4:50 pm

I hunt nearly exclusively on public land. Scout and scout some more. It's all relative, but this season has been pretty good for me, my second here since leaving in 2006 before the season. Admittedly, I'm from here though so I have that base knowledge of the area.

Scout. Bring optics with you in Every vehicle.
Dog Tired
hunter

Postby Undrcoverrednek » Sat Dec 14, 2013 6:30 pm

N2hunt wrote: this may sound ridiculous but I feel I need to get my shooting skills a little better for ducks, so much different then deer or even Skeet

Spend some money on this. By that, I mean don't shoot hand thrown clays in the field. Go to legit trap and skeet range and shoot with people who know what they're doing (tell them you're open to tips/hints). Make sure you shoot low gun with your safety on so you can practice for how you will shoot while hunting.

It's fun to see a bunch of birds, but it's more fun when you kill some.
swampbilly 1980 wrote:I'm a poor man, but I'd pay good money to taste some of that juicy white meat...
Undrcoverrednek
hunter

Postby Dog Tired » Sun Dec 15, 2013 5:44 am

Oh and don't expect to even see birds every time by his is VA. They're around but not always where ever you are.
Dog Tired
hunter

Postby fowl mouth » Sun Dec 15, 2013 8:40 am

Dog Tired wrote:
Scout. Bring optics with you in Every vehicle.

THIS ^^^^^
Liberty '14-Broadcasting/Digital Media
DUCKHILL BEAU
What a man will do for a duck
#SOMEDUCKSINVA
fowl mouth
State Moderator

Postby A5Gunner » Sat Dec 21, 2013 6:16 pm

If ya don't have a boat VA has lots of deer clubs, think of joining one. Have fun deer hunting and getting to know some people, you will find a few that hunt ducks too. Look for a club with beaver ponds or swamp and hunt those little spots. The more people you know, the better off you will be.
You ain't right.......kinda touched in the head.
A5Gunner
hunter

Postby Mallard Cutter » Sun Dec 22, 2013 8:02 am

What few spots I have involved a lot of knocking on doors and being told no. But I have lucked out a couple of times ! And that makes it all worth it
Mallard Cutter
hunter

Postby - Andy - » Sun Dec 22, 2013 8:09 am

Save your money.

Go to Arkansas. Go to Canada. Go to Missouri. Go to South Dakota.

You will get to know a few people around, and you will get to kill a few birds.

I used to do the scout and chase game here in VA and I used to kill quite a few birds doing it. Got tired of getting yelled at, getting the law called on me, getting up at midnight to get to a spot by 3am, having people set up 100 yards from me..... too much headache for not enough return.

I have a few places that are very low impact that I can go and kill a few birds now and then. I have some good goose spots that I lucked into. I said for years that if I was smart I would of just saved my money and gone west or north.... and now that's finally what I do.
Tell your wife you love her, wrestle in the yard with your kids, shake your best friend's hand, let your dog sleep on the bed, and thank God for all the blessings in your life.
- Andy -
hunter

Return to Virginia Duck Hunting