Trapping

For information on local hunting and meet other hunters here in the Virginia duck hunting forum.

Moderators: swampbilly 1980, fowl mouth, callncut, Ichabod97

Trapping

Postby lbhansford » Wed Dec 11, 2013 8:06 pm

Any of you guys do any trapping?
lbhansford
hunter

Re: Trapping

Postby swampbilly 1980 » Wed Dec 11, 2013 8:26 pm

lbhansford wrote:Any of you guys do any trapping?

Yes.
And hoping to get top dollar for my efforts-

-for the little bashtards :yes:

Swampbilly1980- I got a feeva',..and the only cure is more Mergansers and face paint.
swampbilly 1980
Forum & State Moderator

Postby dukcommander » Wed Dec 11, 2013 9:00 pm

Yup
"Believe half of what you see , and none of what you hear"
dukcommander
hunter

Postby fowl mouth » Thu Dec 12, 2013 8:47 am

:lol: :yes:
Liberty '14-Broadcasting/Digital Media
DUCKHILL BEAU
What a man will do for a duck
#SOMEDUCKSINVA
fowl mouth
State Moderator

Postby Cap'm Pooty » Thu Dec 12, 2013 9:50 am

If rats would ever go back up over 6 dollars, I would trap instead of duck hunt. I made a lot of money as a kid trapping in Back Bay and in currituck. connibears made rat trapping easy but I still like the jumper on a tusset where they poop.
Cap'm Pooty
hunter

Postby lbhansford » Thu Dec 12, 2013 9:53 am

ordered a set of a dozen 1 1/2# Duke coilspring traps. Time to give it a go. got a lead on a ton of coons, foxes and even a few otters.
lbhansford
hunter

Postby waterfowlman » Thu Dec 12, 2013 9:07 pm

lbhansford wrote:ordered a set of a dozen 1 1/2# Duke coilspring traps. Time to give it a go. got a lead on a ton of coons, foxes and even a few otters.

Rust up those new traps in some lye. (or drano in water) Dye them in boiling water with black logwood crystal trap dye and beeswax floating on the surface. Hard to beat sardines packed in oil as an all around starter bait for those critters.
Make sure you have a good solid trap stake to hold the largest animal you expect to hang. Extra swivels on a short chain also helps hold em.
I used to run a line of 200 traps from daylight to dark with my two sons in eastern NC back in the day. Every morning was like Christmas!
Tip for otters. Don't try to hang them on their slide where they enter the water unless you are using conibears. Find their stooling area and look for their "step" where they leave the water.....front foot catch everytime. I always knew an otter was mine once I was able to find their toilet....mullet scales, crab shells etc. in their crap.
Good luck IB :thumbsup:
P.S. I honestly believe that 90% of trapping success involves good scouting.
Rule Number One: Always use a sledge hammer to kill an ant.
waterfowlman
SIR

Postby bass_hunter » Fri Dec 13, 2013 7:12 am

I can't see how there can be many coons left to trap. After the acorn crop failure i have seen more road kill this year than ever. And not just coons but every kind of egg eating varmint. Maybe all the egg layers will have a better chance next spring.
( AIN'T NO DUCKS IN VIRGINIA )
President of the Si Robertson fan club
bass_hunter
hunter

Postby lbhansford » Fri Dec 13, 2013 8:14 am

waterfowlman wrote:
lbhansford wrote:ordered a set of a dozen 1 1/2# Duke coilspring traps. Time to give it a go. got a lead on a ton of coons, foxes and even a few otters.

Rust up those new traps in some lye. (or drano in water) Dye them in boiling water with black logwood crystal trap dye and beeswax floating on the surface. Hard to beat sardines packed in oil as an all around starter bait for those critters.
Make sure you have a good solid trap stake to hold the largest animal you expect to hang. Extra swivels on a short chain also helps hold em.
I used to run a line of 200 traps from daylight to dark with my two sons in eastern NC back in the day. Every morning was like Christmas!
Tip for otters. Don't try to hang them on their slide where they enter the water unless you are using conibears. Find their stooling area and look for their "step" where they leave the water.....front foot catch everytime. I always knew an otter was mine once I was able to find their toilet....mullet scales, crab shells etc. in their crap.
Good luck IB :thumbsup:
P.S. I honestly believe that 90% of trapping success involves good scouting.

Thanks so much for all the useful advice. Im going into this 100% greenhorn so it is all VERY helpful. 200 traps? good God! I will definitely take the advice on rusting them up. I feel like trapping is a dying tradition and id really like to pass it along to my kid one day when he gets older. Plus times are tough so any extra cash is a big help. Any thing else you think of, feel free to fill me in, i am not one to turn my nose up at advice. always something new to be learned!

as for scouting, I am lucky to have lived in my neck of the woods in seaford my whole life (12th generation)which is all low land, know and have permission to trap on ALOT of property and creek shorelines. soon as I get these things prepped I have a handful of places in the marsh with clear as day game trails and monster coon tracks. Its definitely going to pay to know the land inside and out going into trapping.
lbhansford
hunter

Postby lbhansford » Fri Dec 13, 2013 9:09 am

to start got:

2 - conibear 110s
6 - 1 1/2 Duke coilsprings
a tail zipper
a tail stripper
a NICE necker flesher ( heard it was VERY important to get a nice flesher)
some 11g wire for making drowning rigs
2 each or #1, 4,and 5 wire stretchers. Plan to make some boards but heard these work well for starting off.
24 inch 3/8 rebar stakes.
already have a ton of 22 rimfires

Am i forgetting anything major?
lbhansford
hunter

Postby Cap'm Pooty » Fri Dec 13, 2013 9:19 am

We never skinned anything except a coon once in while when a local family for ask for one. We froze them whole and sold them whole. Man would come to my house once a week and buy them. I aint skinning no rats or anything else for 6 dollars, and then you have to stretch them, too...nope...too much work.
Cap'm Pooty
hunter

Postby lbhansford » Fri Dec 13, 2013 11:33 am

seeing beavers going on ebay for 75.00 each. im not skeered to get a little dirty for 4 or 5 of those. :thumbsup:
lbhansford
hunter

Postby Mudgun » Fri Dec 13, 2013 2:29 pm

Marry one of these gals....

http://youtu.be/bWzuUHznadQ
NOW WITH MORE 100% MORE VITRIOLIC SARCASM!!!
Mudgun
hunter

Postby lbhansford » Fri Dec 13, 2013 2:46 pm

one on the left might be a candidate but the other two wouldnt make the B squad :lol3:
lbhansford
hunter

Postby SwampRatNC » Fri Dec 13, 2013 6:05 pm

This is my 60lbs beaver I got last week her in N.C.. The 1.5 will do nice for coon, rat and fox and the 110's will work for rats and mink. If you are trapping in a saltmarsh you may want to spray paint your traps in rustoleum. Also you may want to get so disposable stakes for marsh trapping they work better than the rebar stakes. To clean the oil of the traps put in the dishwasher while the wife ain't home and that will help start the rusting process faster. Then you can dye or paint'em. Coons will polish your traps for you know matter what you do. You got enough gear to get you started and make you want to by more. Tommy Wilcox will by your critters in the round, you just have to talk to him. Good luck with your new adventure and watch your fingers.

SwampRatNC
SwampRatNC
hunter

Postby waterfowlman » Sat Dec 14, 2013 8:38 am

That's one healthy beaver SwampRat!! I know you didn't hang that thing in a 1+1/2 coilspring. :lol3:
Here's some of my old collection of beavertraps......Newhouse, Victor, Blake and Lamb #4 double longsprings.
My two boys with a full grown Male bobcat taken in the late 80's.
Attachments
Traps.jpg
bobcat.jpg
Last edited by waterfowlman on Sat Dec 14, 2013 11:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
waterfowlman
SIR

Postby waterfowlman » Sat Dec 14, 2013 10:49 am

Cap'm Pooty wrote:We never skinned anything except a coon once in while when a local family for ask for one. We froze them whole and sold them whole. Man would come to my house once a week and buy them. I aint skinning no rats or anything else for 6 dollars, and then you have to stretch them, too...nope...too much work.

I did the same thing Pooty. Had a couple of big chest freezers and froze everything in plastic bags for the fur buyer. He would come by the house once a week or so and pick up. Only charged a couple of bucks per animal to skin and freed up my time to run more traps. Always felt like he paid a fair price. Skinning and stretching just wasn't worth it to me at the time.
waterfowlman
SIR

Postby duckmedic1 » Mon Dec 16, 2013 11:10 am

Fur prep is EVERYTHING if you plan on selling. Haven't kept up with fur prices this year, but how well you flesh and stretch your fur will double or half your price. The VTA annual fur sale is in March, (It's been in Fishersville the last few years, not sure about this year) Even if don't plan on selling its a great place to talk to people and you'll learn a lot. Its a learning process, and lots of fun! PM me if I can help with anything, good luck this season!
duckmedic1
hunter

Postby duckmedic1 » Mon Dec 16, 2013 11:17 am

A few pictures from trapping seasons in years past
Attachments
trappin, huntin and life 811.jpg
IMAG0184.jpg
quincy scrapbook 009.jpg
My brother a few years ago
duckmedic1
hunter

Postby imaduckin up north » Mon Dec 16, 2013 12:21 pm

i use to boil oak leaves in water in a large metal container, and soak traps in the stained water. they stained permanatly. dont do this in the house though it stinks real bad
,IS IT DUCK SEASON YET
THERE AINT NO DUCKS IN VA, dicks sporting goods told me so
you can educate ignorance
you can medicate crazy
but you cant fix stupid
imaduckin up north
hunter

Postby Cap'm Pooty » Tue Dec 17, 2013 8:31 am

We used black walnut hulls and shells for the large foot traps...boiled them and then the traps. All the conibears and small foot traps we used were rust free the first week of the season because the mud where we set them was acidic, it would eat the rust off them.

We had a guy named Buddy Flora from Moyock that would buy our fur, then Wilcox kind of took over for him. Best I ever got was about 2 months straight where large black rats were 9 dollars. We made a killing. in two weeks I made enough to buy a brand new 25 hP evinrude and a 16 foot polarkraft. That opened up my range for trapping and was easier than shoving a juniper skiff. But the grain embargo happened right after that, along with the animal rights movemnet and ruined trapping forever.
Cap'm Pooty
hunter

Postby bass_hunter » Tue Dec 17, 2013 9:54 am

Cap'm Pooty wrote:We used black walnut hulls and shells for the large foot traps...boiled them and then the traps. All the conibears and small foot traps we used were rust free the first week of the season because the mud where we set them was acidic, it would eat the rust off them.

We had a guy named Buddy Flora from Moyock that would buy our fur, then Wilcox kind of took over for him. Best I ever got was about 2 months straight where large black rats were 9 dollars. We made a killing. in two weeks I made enough to buy a brand new 25 hP evinrude and a 16 foot polarkraft. That opened up my range for trapping and was easier than shoving a juniper skiff. But the grain embargo happened right after that, along with the animal rights movemnet and ruined trapping forever.

Never heard of boiling oak leaves ? Papa boiled black walnut hulls on the traps when we were kids. Don't you remember that imaduckn ?
( AIN'T NO DUCKS IN VIRGINIA )
President of the Si Robertson fan club
bass_hunter
hunter

Postby imaduckin up north » Tue Dec 17, 2013 11:51 am

ya i remember that, but all i had was oak leaves, the tannic acid dyed the traps. papa was our daniel boone for the time. i really miss that old man, use to love to help him put out gill nets, i still remember the old flat bottom wood boat at the cabin, those were the days :thumbsup:
,IS IT DUCK SEASON YET
THERE AINT NO DUCKS IN VA, dicks sporting goods told me so
you can educate ignorance
you can medicate crazy
but you cant fix stupid
imaduckin up north
hunter

Postby Cap'm Pooty » Tue Dec 17, 2013 12:18 pm

I'm going to start setting gill nets next week....
I am trying to keep it real.
Cap'm Pooty
hunter

Postby lbhansford » Thu Dec 19, 2013 11:01 am

to dispatch trapped animals.... blunt object or 22 rimfire?
lbhansford
hunter

Next

Return to Virginia Duck Hunting