Trapping

For information on local hunting and meet other hunters here in the Virginia duck hunting forum.

Moderators: swampbilly 1980, fowl mouth, callncut, Ichabod97

Re: Trapping

Postby lbhansford » Fri Dec 20, 2013 9:47 am

Built my first muskrat floats last night from some scrap in the garage. Cant wait to soak'em.
Attachments
muskratfloat.jpg
lbhansford
hunter

Postby Cap'm Pooty » Fri Dec 20, 2013 11:07 am

lbhansford wrote:to dispatch trapped animals.... blunt object or 22 rimfire?

Old shovel handle or axe handle sawed off to three feet. It doesn't cut the fur when you hit them across the head.
Cap'm Pooty
hunter

Postby - Andy - » Sun Dec 22, 2013 8:10 am

Cap'm Pooty wrote:If rats would ever go back up over 6 dollars, I would trap instead of duck hunt. I made a lot of money as a kid trapping in Back Bay and in currituck. connibears made rat trapping easy but I still like the jumper on a tusset where they poop.

I averaged $11.50 on rats last year.

I do quite a bit of trapping. Gotten to where I like it more than hunting.
Tell your wife you love her, wrestle in the yard with your kids, shake your best friend's hand, let your dog sleep on the bed, and thank God for all the blessings in your life.
- Andy -
hunter

Postby - Andy - » Sun Dec 22, 2013 8:12 am

lbhansford wrote:Built my first muskrat floats last night from some scrap in the garage. Cant wait to soak'em.

Looks great but you are gonna need to cut out those slots of the springs some more so they can expand left/right not up/down.

A couple nails or a killer clip will stabilze that bad boy.

You gonna bait the trigger wires or put bait in the middle?
Tell your wife you love her, wrestle in the yard with your kids, shake your best friend's hand, let your dog sleep on the bed, and thank God for all the blessings in your life.
- Andy -
hunter

Postby lbhansford » Sun Dec 22, 2013 2:28 pm

Gonna put a screw thru from underneath to twist an ear of corn on. By making a V instead of notch they pop right out.
Checked my first set today. Still waiting on most traps but had six coils and 5 snares. Got one possum and one coon and few almost catching snares. snares Were set over some holes in a brush pile about 8 inch loops and were pulled half tight and all marshmallows were gone.

Alot of fun.... think ive caught the bug
Attachments
IMG_20131222_084511.jpg
lbhansford
hunter

Postby dukcommander » Sun Dec 22, 2013 4:13 pm

Good job! Just like fowling it is addictive.
"Believe half of what you see , and none of what you hear"
dukcommander
hunter

Postby imaduckin up north » Sun Dec 22, 2013 7:09 pm

wait till you get your first skunk, your enthusiasm will be tested :yes:
,IS IT DUCK SEASON YET
THERE AINT NO DUCKS IN VA, dicks sporting goods told me so
you can educate ignorance
you can medicate crazy
but you cant fix stupid
imaduckin up north
hunter

Postby lbhansford » Sun Dec 22, 2013 7:25 pm

imaduckin up north wrote:wait till you get your first skunk, your enthusiasm will be tested :yes:

might just leave pop that one and leave the trap lol.... we dont have any skunks in seaford thank God. seen one in 30 years.

caught the possum on bufflehead.... no trap just gagged on it i think :lol3:
lbhansford
hunter

Postby - Andy - » Mon Dec 23, 2013 8:15 am

imaduckin up north wrote:wait till you get your first skunk, your enthusiasm will be tested :yes:

I used the 40/14 method on skunks when I first started out.

Shoot them with a rifle from 40 yards and come back in 14 days to get your trap.

They make one of the best fox and bobcats bait there is... along with beaver.

I have a pole syringe..... looks a lot like a tagging stick, but it has a 12cc metal syringe at the end that screws onto a broom handle. Hit them behind the shoulder with 12cc of acetone and its lights out fast. Almost never spray. Extract the essence for lure making (outside). Take the skunk and bury him in the ground, put the set around the skunk... don't take long.

If you shoot them in the head.... they will almost certainly spray. Body shoot them and about half of them spray. For whatever reason when you stick em with that syringe they don't.

If you have never been around FRESH skunk spray... it is 100 times worse than dead skunk on the side of the road smell. It permeates your clothes and lingers for weeks. Just gotta learn how to handle them... cause it is a fact of trapping in most places.
- Andy -
hunter

Previous

Return to Virginia Duck Hunting